Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Re: Star Trek/LGBT issues

I wrote a fairly comprehensive research paper about this topic a few years ago. It was a while ago, so excuse me if I mis-remember a few things.

It basically boils down to most of the Trek people being willing to do it, from the actors to the writers, but execs and a small but vocal minority of fans being uncomfortable with it.

The most famous example, of course, is David Gerrold's proposed TNG episode Blood and Fire. The script featured an openly gay couple, which made executives uncomfortable. The rumor was that it was Rick Berman who disallowed the script, though some blame it on others.

It was a little heavy-handed, because it was an AIDS allegory, but nonetheless it was an acceptable script. It was eventually actually filmed by fans as part of Star Trek: New Voyages.

Shortly before his death, Gene expressed an interest in interviews and at conventions in putting LGBT characters into episodes unobtrusively. Many other figures, from Kate Mulgrew to Leonard Nimoy, also expressed support for LGBT characters in Trek.

A few fans were vocally unhappy about NV doing the episode, even though the vast majority were favorable towards it. It's an interesting episode; Kirk's nephew is one of the men in the couple, and the Captain is shown to be uncomfortable but ultimately accepting of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I can understand why some people like V - it has some really interesting ideas. The execution is pretty awful, though, even if there are a few entertaining bits.

Undiscovered Country is definitely the best Trek film, and honestly one of my favorite films ever.

Those -D shots are loving gorgeous. Love it.

• Locked thread