Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Yeah I'm not really feeling the complaint of a white guy playing Khan. I could understand if the entire Enterprise crew was cast white and there were no new non-white actors cast in this movie, but holy poo poo they cast someone who apparently killed the audition after going after having their prime choice turn it down (non-white by the way) and there's a huge hullabaloo over it?

?_?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Pioneer42 posted:

But anyone who was raised by the originals will never be happy with it turned into--no better off than it was when Nemesis came out.

I was raised on a potent mix of TOS and TNG and I thought it did a pretty great job of capturing the essence of the original. TOS was full of the same amount of sex and action as the new movie was, but appropriate for the period. I don't really get it when people say things like how Uhura was a sex symbol to sell the movie then forget that William Ware Theiss's wardrobes were used for the exact same purpose.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

So it was revealed that Cupcake is coming back. Also apparently he's in one of the comics that lead up to the new movie (which I don't know the canon level of but they're being written with the new movie's script in mind) and he's a character from TOS called Ensign Hendorff. Basically a nobody at the time but if he's back he'll probably be doing something important. Or dying. Who knows.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Terror Sweat posted:

That is literally the most inconsequential casting news I have ever heard.

E. Unless you're Cupcake's friends and family of course.

Beats spergin' about Cumberbatch.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

In a sense this is no different than those nobody crew members who came back. That guy Leslie from the original series (always in the transporter room but was never really important) appears in Wrath of Khan, for example.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Well, they're calling it Star Trek Into Darkness.

It kind of sounds like a movie from the 1950s or 1960s which would make sense. Need a trailer before I can decide if it works!

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I for one welcome the new movie even more after seeing the trailer. The red plant planet reminds me of the planets of the day from the original shows (the kind that had weird overgrowth and atypical coloured skies) on a bigger budget. That Klingon planet looks pretty spot on and in line with how I remember Qo'noS from TNG, and it'll be interesting to see it for the first time in TOS era (entire planet couldn't be that different from how it would have appeared back then, not in a space of six-seven years from Nero's visit). I wasn't sold completely on the "i will take my vengeance :argh:" line itself but holy poo poo Benedict did a fine job with everything else in the trailer. It's gonna be a show to say the least I think.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Given he's talking about how he's returned, I wouldn't be surprised if the movie is structured with dramatic pathos-filled flashbacks telling the origin story of Cumberbatch in parallel to the movie. That'd be a way to get around needing to have a whole backstory first.

Let's not forget that Mitchell/Garth debuted in the episode they took their wrath on the crew in. They weren't set up as a terrifying threat, say, four episodes before - they showed up, people said "oh so and so did this before, he used to be this way but X happened to make him the way he is". In fact, a lot of great classic Trek stories started out with a bad guy who does bad guy things that gets more humanized as the story goes on. Fleshing out characters that seem one dimension at first was a strong point of the original series (even if by today's standards they'd still be cheesy/wooden).

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 6, 2012

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Trekmovie's saying that the long trailer has Chekov in a red tunic. Maybe Sulu will get a blue one?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Force fields jails are dumb idea anyways, just like the force field window in First Contact. Soon as the power's knocked out you'll have every yahoo running rampant around the ship in an already stressed situation.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I was all for Dr. Dehrer being in the film but my sperg senses were tingling as soon as I saw her blonde part was on the wrong side :colbert:

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Was rewatching Star Trek 2009. An interesting thing I was thinking while watching was that Spock ultimately repaid the gift of rebirth to Kirk - not by going after and reviving his ancient body like in TSOS, but by having their friendship define them so clearly that Spock going back in time would somehow end up changing the character of Kirk's life - he now has another go at the rear end-kicking life he had while serving on the Enterprise's 5 year mission.

It's certainly better than bringing the Kirk that died in Generations back to life. Poetry, it rhymes.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

What I liked best about the preview was that it made it pretty clear it'll be a Star Trek movie in the vein of TOS instead of how things got after TNG. It didn't care about what TNG or any future titles said about the Prime Directive, nor did it try and hide the fact that Kirk would just stun a monster instinctively rather than twiddle his thumbs waiting for someone to tell him it was their ride. Put simply, the movie didn't feel like it was dragging the chains of anything beyond the original show. I think this'll piss a lot of diehard fans off who seem to forget that this isn't a movie of that caliber, and that TOS was pretty far away from what TNG and beyond was. Aside from that everyone had something to do, and Zachary Quinto nailed Spock yet again.

Nibiru is also a pretty TOS-sounding planet name. Screw it, the whole clip was pretty TOS-y, right down to the mysterious bad guy reveal without a name.

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 17, 2012

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

The Dark One posted:

And that thing where you shine thin bands of light directly at yours actors' eyes.

One of my favourite things was JJ's subtle homages to the show, like that and the orange ladder in the hallway. I think one of the Plinkett reviews (probably the Trek '09 one) points this out.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Super Bowl commercial is out.

Stakes look pretty high. I wonder if the E is gonna be destroyed?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I mean completely. If that's it crashing in San Fran it's pretty hosed.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

MadScientistWorking posted:

And the part where the evil twins have goatees.

Happens in The Alternative Factor too, with the evil Lazarus's hilariously disappearing goatee.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Prate posted:

Can I nitpick about how the changed the look of the phasers? Cause the ones in the poster look really lovely and bland and I liked the phasers in the first JJTrek.

I think they're Klingon.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Cellophane S posted:

The internet's obsession with Cumberbatch is becoming a bit much

How dare this pretty good actor starring in a movie we're talking about get people excited to see said movie!

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

It's really not a surprise this guy's so eager to pounce on a new script by Damon Lindelof, after reading his input on Prometheus being a "bad movie full stop period".

I really don't see why blood I'm assuming belongs to Khan (at least from what spoilers I have seen, trying not to delve too deeply) wouldn't be able to cure sickness and generally be better quality. I mean wasn't it stated in Space Seed or DS9/ENT that Khan and his kin were rendered impervious to sickness? That's part of why he's superior, it's part of the whole "improved breed of human" spiel that's explained in his first episode. I'm pretty sure they use serum now to help treat diseases, why can't that be taken a step further? Blood that can cure illness has more grounding in reality than "magic drug that can cure any and all mental illness", as shown in Whom Gods Destroy.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Has it been mentioned how long he's been dead for? This is important.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Bringing back Khan isn't really rehashing Space Seed either if the spoilers are to be believed. The Dark Knight has proved you can take an iconic character who's already had a great performance done unto him, tell a completely different story with a new actor, and have it be just as entertaining, except in different ways.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

DrNutt posted:

If it's any longer than about five minutes I for one will march right out of the theater and demand a refund.

I'll give them five and a half.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I'm happy they picked an actor who can do what appears to be a pretty good play of the character. They're not being racist - their prime choice turned it down for other commitments, and the next guy on their list got the part instead. It'd be more ignorant to cast a guy who's "kind of not really white" to play a Sikh character instead of someone who does the best job of it. We also don't know if any North Indians tried out for the part or not so who's call is it to make that they picked the white guy instead.

I'm not really seeing an issue.

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 30, 2013

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Old Kirk refers to himself as a soldier, not a diplomat, in one of the old series episodes.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

Check this out, I've discovered that rather than simply not saying anything about the movie, your post effectively doesn't say anything about anything.

But why would you deploy that kind of smoke bomb in defense of Hollywood's constant whitewashing? Seems like maybe that should be criticized rather blandly shrugged at...?

The fact that this argument has come up so many times in the thread and hasn't gotten any farther beyond "sucks that Khan is white/who cares Khan is white" camps says to me it might be time to move on. It's really tiring to come here each time hoping to talk about cool spaceships or how lovely space Skype is and anyways seeing it back at the exact same place in the exact same argument.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Jefferoo posted:

That's my major problem with Into Darkness, it's a film that pretty much requires previous knowledge of the franchise in the most superficial level to work. Imagine you'd never seen or heard of Trek, and was left staring at the screen in amazement and wonder at the Khan reveal - it leaves a real sour taste in the mouth.

According to everyone I've seen it with who has no prior knowledge of Star Trek, no it doesn't.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

quote:

If the Admiral is the main antagonist, what's his name? I don't remember. Probably because he was on screen for like three minutes before the finale and then he got maybe seven or eight more minutes.
Probably more not paying attention considering he has the same last name as one of the other main characters (which is pretty important to the plot at one point).

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Anyone who could remember the names of any other main Enterprise crew member save for Kirk and Spock.

On the other hand I wonder how many newcomers actually think Dr McCoy is named Dr Bones or something.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Even a few weeks later I prefer this movie to the first one. I don't quite get how people who were mad the first one wasn't a hamfisted morality tale for the masses liked it more than Into Darkness. But then again I liked the episode where Kirk reads the Constitution to space Americans and Soviets who worship it. It's just entertaining I guess.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I'm hoping in the next film they give Kirk that green wraparound he sometimes wore. They seem to like limiting how much he wears gold, so maybe green would work better! It'd be another nice bright colour to add on the bridge, at least.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

When you put it that way it's almost like there isn't a reason for it!

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

So I'm interested in seeing where the next movie will go. While a remake of a classic episode would be cool it would also be boring and safe, as would a Klingon War. I think it's clear that all of us want to see a little exploring. Maybe a Pulp Fiction style plot where the characters are divided up and all have things to do that relates back to a single overarching narrative? Or maybe they'll just remake the Trouble with loving Tribbles.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Cingulate posted:

Yes, see how uncontroversial the recasting of Kahn was

Which doesn't really have anything to do with the narrative itself?

Before we're back to the boring Khan debate for the nth time in this thread though here's an interesting thing I found while looking on Youtube for the full version of the credits. The font matches up from what I remember, and it was posted a while before the US premiere and soundtrack release, so it looks official. Then again Star Trek fans are pretty spergy about detail and would be the type to fabricate such a thing. On the other other hand I wouldn't put it past Abrams to do the Gary Mitchell red herring before the US wide release.

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 30, 2013

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

You know what would be a thing you could revisit in the sequel? The Tholians. If you really want to finally start exploring the unknown, they're deliberately designed to be the most alien aliens in Trek's history. They're strange crystalline dudes who are wildly xenophobic, they live in a part of space that just slides into another dimension now and then, we've only ever seen one of them head-on, you could really make a nice mind-gently caress of a movie with the Enterprise trapped in Tholian space and trying to get out before everyone goes insane.

Do the Tholians have a planet? They could make good use of their totally alien nature to have the Enterprise crew wear some special spacesuits to visit the place. There's gotta be some dough to make in extra suits/costumes for character action figures.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

Did Into Darkness even have a toy line? I didn't even notice one this time around, but to be fair I'm sure there's still plenty of leftover stuff from 2009 Trek still on the shelves. Not to say there wasn't a ton of promotional tie-ins, but I just didn't seem to notice the fast-food or toy presence for STID like I did about 4 years ago.
Certainly not. I think there was a knockoff Lego line but no new figurines. They easily could have had Spock in the suit, Kirk and Uhura in the smuggler gear, Admiral Robocop, Dr. Marcus, Khan, and others. I missed the chance for new Burger King glasses too to replace broken ones in my collection.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I think a good way to cap off the trilogy would be with a saucer seperation. I don't know where it would fit in but I'm sure they could make it look pretty cool and unique. Just don't make it a Generations-type thing; if I recall there were dozens of times they wanted to do it in TOS bt couldn't fit the elaborate effects into the budget.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Kirk mentions it in the episode where they fight the sentient giant rock dragon head.

According to Memory Alpha, the guy who dies in that episode happens to be 'Cupcake' from the modern movies!

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I think only Trekkies feel that there's "too much Trek" for the uninitiated though because specific things like Carol Marcus just appear to them like new ideas, because they haven't seen the old movies. A person who has no prior knowledge of the character's existence would never complain they need to know about old Trek to understand, because they've never seen old Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Roberto Orci supposedly is doing Star Trek 13 and I couldn't be happier.

• Locked thread