Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

CloseFriend posted:

I really think they'll go in a whole new direction as they did with Nero and his crew. I'd laugh my rear end off if they went in the other direction and decided to make the Klingons "super-ridged," like War from the TMNT Adventures comics.

I can understand why they'd want to go in a different direction with Klingons, assuming they're in the movie. Problem is, though, they've already established that Enterprise is the only series that still holds true (in this alternate timeline, anyway). So, unless the Klingons quickly figured some cure for the modified augment virus, they should still be flat-headed.

The thing with the Nero and the other Romulans, is that they really weren't all that different than the standard. Sure, they had shaved heads and tattoos, but there's a reason for that. Romulans shave their heads and and cranial tattoos as a sign of mourning. Something they sometimes choose to do after a severe personal tragedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Barometer posted:

Hell, I'd rather they were using Colonel Green to be honest, he'd serve the fans and he's also got so little backstory (hitler-esque dude) that you could go anywhere with him.

Green has potential. Unfortunately, he lived in the 21st century, not the 23rd.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

WebDog posted:

It's somewhat telling of how narrow minded the Trek execs have been since Wrath of Khan as they're always trying to find some clunky way to reference the Kahn/Kirk dynamic be it Gorkon eating the scenery or Shinzon trying to outdo Picard.

However there's far more room to adapt Kahn than it seems.
The Eugenics Wars haven't been elaborated on and at the start of JJ Trek Kahn is floating around in a chilly bin waiting for the inevitable investigation by the Enterprise.
What's going to be weird is that Khan was written to be a literal Genghis Khan in space which doesn't quite fit the look of the actor.

However Cumberbatch is a pretty solid actor - watch him in Atonement for an idea of how he can play someone who's a seductive villain - I can sort of see him working his charm on Uhrua much to the chagrin of Spock.

I realize we're all talking about on-screen stuff, but The Eugenics Wars do get a decent explanation in book form. A two book series, "The Eugenics Wars Vol. 1 & 2: The Rise And Fall Of Kahn Noonien Singh." Provides a lot of backstory for Kahn, and the wars. As a bonus, you get a lot of stuff with Gary Seven.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

davidspackage posted:

I watched Abrams' Star Trek again last week, and goddamn is it a fun, good movie. Music, casting, humor, it just hits all the right notes. It's pretty impressive when you listen to the commentary and watch the deleted scenes, and see how much it was cut up from its original version.

I have to agree, especially on Bones.

Dr. McCoy posted:

Don't pander to me, kid. One tiny crack in the hull and our blood boils in thirteen seconds. Solar flare might crop up, cook us in our seats. And wait'll you're sitting pretty with a case of Andorian shingles, see if you're still so relaxed when your eyeballs are bleeding. Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

If Q ever shows up again, it has to be Gary Oldman.

• Locked thread