Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

I know it's super late to be posting reactions to this movie, but I only got to see it when my Star Trek-loving father wanted to see it with his family for Father's Day.

(It's been over a month, we're not still doing spoilers are we?)

I am not a Star Trek fan. Haven't sat through a single episode- though I did see part of WoK. I liked the 09 movie well enough, thought it was a good film with some cheese.

I didn't like this movie so much, because it had a lot more cheese, and it was the bad kind of cheese.

Like, what was the point of the Admiral's daughter character other than the scene where she's in lingerie? That moment where she tries to defy her father and save the Enterprise ends up being negated a second later, and her suspicion about the torpedos was something the other characters developed separately. I couldn't help but agree with Spock's assessment that she was completely redundant with him on board.

And even though I'm not a Star Trek fan, I did recognize some of the callbacks, probably because they were forced as hell. Okay, Kirk's dying, this is obviously a "clever" reversal of WoK, but the actors are selling it as an emotional moment. Then Spock yells KHAAAAAAAAAN and I'm completely taken out of the movie.

I don't want to start yet another race derail so I'll skip over my feelings on that, but I totally didn't get the feeling that Khan was such a horrifying villain. Yes, that moment where he crushed Robocop's head was sickening. However, I couldn't get past the fact that it was in fact Kirk who first betrayed Khan. It really looked like the movie was going to say "gently caress the other universe, we're doing this our way" and maybe keep Khan around as Kirk's frienemy. That made the forced heel turn feel all the less organic to me.

I liked Man of Steel, so I'm certainly not the kind of person who gets a headache from a fast-paced movie with lots of CGI. But there were definitely times where things started to blur for me in this. It's hard to pinpoint why exactly I didn't like the action so much in this movie- I didn't feel the same way about the last one. Perhaps it's because I felt like the 09 film had a kind of grander scale to it, more like an epic space romp than this film's Politics Gone Wrong tale. Or maybe I'm predisposed to dislike the action because other parts of the film didn't work for me, I don't know.

Meh, maybe I would have liked it more if I was a Trekkie and it tickled my nostalgia bone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

It stuck out (to me anyway), because it was so utterly pointless and unnecessary, and reflected how her character was so utterly pointless and unnecessary. I know it's useless trying to keep track of sexy-for-the-sake-of-it bits in media, but yeah, those kind of things stick out in my mind because they bother me. Does that make me the real sexist?

• Locked thread