Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Helsing posted:

At this point I think I'd be impressed if they just managed to not make the next movie another boring revenge plot. Bonus points if the movie passes the Bechdel test.
NEVER

ST is about 0.) three men who're, like, Bros, shooting the poo poo. In space. On a vaguely feminine space ship.
The rest is paraphernalia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snak posted:

Put a gay character on the bridge, and have a Muslim science officer
In the future, religion is dead.
Deservedly so.

A middle eastern guy however? Surely. Or an Indian woman. Or a bald dude ...

Adding to the general theme ITT right now: TNG started a terrible trend, perfected in ENT, where humans were the bestest at everything. All Data could ever strive for was being a real human, human morals are the best, humans win all wars, and basically, for all the claims of Vulcans being perfectly rational, all throughout ENT, they were actually completely driven by passions, and violent ones, too, and all their "rationality" stick manifested itself in absolutely nothing but ridiculous arrogance. T'Pol being a bit of an exception, but the higher-up a Vulcan was, the more he was a violent maniac.

STII was probably the strongest in the series in that regard, with Spock's utilitarian sacrifice. And I actually like STIII for driving the point home; sure, putting the needs of one above those of the group, if the group willingly chooses so, is irrational in the sense of not being utilitarian, but well, maybe we humans simply happen to not be utilitarians and that's okay. It was making a point about being human that wasn't "(white, male) humans are the best".

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snak posted:

Except that it's not, and that's a stupid attitude to have when the show is really about addressing issues in the present. Trek is full of religions, like Klingon, Bajoran, Ferengi, and Dominion religions. And even humans in Etarfleet have religions, like Chakotay. Vulcan philosophy exhibits elements of ascetic spiritualism and rituals similar some Earth religions.

I'm not saying make the fact that a character is a Muslim a plot point, specifically the opposite. He or she would just be a regular Starfleet person who happened to be a practicing Muslim as part of their personal life. The wouldn't have to constantly be bringing it up or pointing out how "their religion" teaches such and such. Just like how Checkov being Russian wasn't ever a plot point and everyone just accepted it. Probably shouldn't use the first Muslim character in Trek as comic relief constantly mocking their beliefs though.
But religions are artefacts of a bad and ugly time, and correlate negatively with how educated, civilized, peaceful, and scientifically informed a society is, and MY TREK ranks highly on all of these.

Also, Spock blows up God.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
"Star Trek shows cracks in the liberal utopia" is probably the most conventional thing I've ever seen SMG write. It's, like - d'uh. That's so obvious, even the writers themselves knew it, and they sometimes even intentionally made that point.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm eagerly waiting for supermechagodzillas review of the movie, due next week or so. Unironically.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How did Into Darkness "end spaceships"?

Also, the worst thing about Into Darkness was by far the title. The rest was mostly decent.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder what the PC issue will be this time? "Let's cast a Korean to replace a Japanese guy", "Let's cast a British guy to replace a Mexican/Singh"/Alice Eve in underpants, ..-?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Supercar Gautier posted:

Into Darkness had interplanetary teleportation.
It's unstable technology, like transwarp. In eternal beta. That's the implicit headcanon. No need to make as much of a thing out of it as saying "WE'LL JUST IGNORE IT". Also a ship is more than a way to ferry people. For example, it's pretty

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pops Mgee posted:

I know it's not the point of Star Trek but I'm super mad that it looks like the Enterprise is going to get it's rear end kicked yet again. I just want to see it shoot stuff and blow up another ship okay? This is supposed to be the flagship of starfleet and everyone has made it look like a chump.
It's just so old.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

The Enterprise gets its poo poo kicked in in two of the movies generally regarded to be among the better entries in the franchise.
They should make another movie with whales, and one more with Khan. Right?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Harime Nui posted:

You know what'd be a good Star Trek III, set it 80 years after Into Darkness and be like yeah, the Federation and Klingon Empire totally went to war and poo poo's completely hosed---the galaxy is like a demilitarized zone, Federation society's turned militaristic and is run by Section 31 douchebags, large swathes of the galaxy have been wiped out etc. etc. and open it with a familiar character from the TNG era---probably Data would be best----and have him go back in time not to undo Into Darkness but to stop the Khitomer Accords from being sabotaged or something, there you'd have a movie. You could even cold open it with Kirk & crew getting wiped out in some battle in the opening scene and cut to 80 YEARS LATER w/e, as a sop to the people who really really want to see the new cast die for some reason.

e: I know this was more or less an episode of TNG but gently caress, they pretty much all are
Yup, that's what we need more of: time travel and depressive military stuff.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't get the tone. On one hand, damage to the Enterprise/similar ships has so far been portrayed as absolutely horrifying in the series - people being sucked into the vacuum in the first scene of the reboot etc. So this should be a serious movie, with the Enterprise going town like that and probably hundreds of good people dying.
On the other hand, BEASTIE BOYS and a script by Pegg..?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

On an adjusted-ticket-price-inflation metric, Trek '09 is top, but that's followed by TMP in second, Voyage Home, Into Darkness, Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, and then First Contact. The TNG movies just weren't a cultural thing the way the TOS movies were. But you can pretty safely say that the first four TOS movies were all mainstream success. Yes, even TMP.
Can you somehow adjust this for marketing budget? Cause a big factor might have been that the reboot ones were "too big to fail"/hyped hard because execs were afraid to lose so much money.

Not a reboot hater, I think they're fine.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Drink-Mix Man posted:

--Klingons and the bird of prey. Not necessarily the old complaint that the Enterprise got "punked" by a little ship, but when I watch the movies sequentially it's like "These guys and this ship AGAIN?" The last four movies involved Klingons and this little bird-shaped ship. I was like, come on, we're supposed to be introducing the fancy new generation and you're still recycling models and costumes from 1984.
This is somehow made worse by the fact that the BoP is a very pretty and iconic design.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mitchicon posted:

I thought Bird of Preys punched above their weight because they're a dedicated warship, unlike the Enterprise. Kind of like the Defiant.
This is not a question of tactical realism/how many hit points does a Bird of Prey have? The problem is that we've seen it prominently featured in 5 movies.
It really worked for most of them, too. But then, with the Enterprise-D, maybe you finally want somebody else to dance with her.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hunch: Star Trek movies are usually worse than their premise. Star Wars is the reverse: a stupid idea, executed really well.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The last half of ENT is pretty good.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snak posted:

Spock's logic is always portrayed as wrong. I don't know how else to interpret that. All of Spock's best scenes are of him losing it and becoming violent.
Same, of course, goes for Whorf. Strangely though, not for Data - Data's peculiarities are at worst funny, at best saving the day.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snak posted:

Yes, that comment was referring to JJTrek. Spock's character pre-JJTrek was about finding the balance between logic and emotion, but not rejecting logic at all.

I'm not sure why you're bringing Worf into this, since logic versus emotion isn't part of his character at all. Data is a similar character to Spock, and never really rages out and rejects logic (and there's no JJTrek version of him), so I'm not really sure what you're getting at here.
Whorf is as useful a warrior and stoic as ENT Vulcans are at being calm rational utilitarians.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WarLocke posted:

DS9 Worf is almost an entirely different character than TNG Worf, to be fair.
Yeah I meant TNG Whorf.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

One of the core themes of TOS and its movies was always that the two must find a stable balance on every level.
More like, it just so happens that the balance found by ordinary humans is the perfect one. Sure, being smart is good, but don't go too far or Kirk will be able to make your head blow up by mentioning a paradox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snak posted:

Except that it's actually not. Average humans are very dumb and can't think logically at all. Even in the Trek universe. This is why every week, they go to some planet where people are doing something dumb.

MikeJF posted:

Not really. McCoy is a pretty average human, and too far on the emotional side. Kirk is balance, but Kirk is considered an exceptional person. And even so, he's nowhere near as strong a person without Spock there to logic him.

Okay I guess this is again more a TNG thing.

Although still - Kirk does not so much resemble a human beyond humanity, but a human ideal. The best human is better than the best Vulcan or Klingon or Romulan (or, later, android) would be.

• Locked thread