Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

Glitterbomber posted:

If he does a totally absurd, in no way meant to be Indian, accent, and just confuses the gently caress out of everyone why the white guy talking like a nutjob is the super-human named Khan, it's the best movie made.

I think we already have Bane for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Entertaining, but the plot makes no sense. It's carried purely by the characters and actors.

Edit: to be more specific, I still don't quite understand what the main villian is enraged about. The blame he assigns is completely.... well, illogical.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I just don't get why he's blaming spock for a natural supernova, which (as far as I know) no one caused, and he lashes out at the person who was actually trying to help. Because hey, everyone can stop what's probably the most primal powerful force in creation, right? drat YOU SPOCK! Not to mention, say he gets his wish and wipes out spock and the federation. Doesn't change what's gonna happen with the supernova! I suppose they could colonize a planet that they destroy... well, no, can't do that either since they disintegrate the planets.

I dunno, I gripe because it just feels like a shoehorned-in conflict. Why not just skip all that altogether, and have it stem from something back in their history like the vulcan-romulan racial split? They're supposed to be the same originally, right? Some civil war ages past which caused the two societies to split, and Spock is a descendant from some guy or clan who killed off Nero's ancestors. Basic old school clan revenge story, but I would buy it a lot more than the above. He could also target the federation since they've allied with vulcan. The only thing missing is time travel, but since he seems to have borg tech, that problem is solved too. There! Same story, but different motivations, and the pieces still fall the same.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
James R Kirk

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Trekkin'

Trekkin' Too

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

Cingulate posted:

Can you give an example of these character arcs, Big Questions and depth from the old movies (preferably not the series) that you find JJTrek is missing?

Of the five ST movies I have so can comment on:

TMP: More of a spectacle than a deep movie. Straight-up face-the-unknown scifi.

II: Deals with aging, and having your past come back to haunt you. Kirk learns decisions have consequences, and you can't always cheat your way out of them

VI: Deals with xenophobia, fear of other cultures, cold war. Kirk overcomes his hatred of another race that he's always been enemies with.

FC: More of an action movie, has a thread of Picard's revenge in it.

ST09: Action movie. Has a thread of spock not being ashamed of who he is.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Never mind warping in the atmosphere, how are you able to go to warp without a warp core?

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I think I prefer the theatrical cut of TMP. Not because of the effects, which are nice in some cases, but more for the bizarre editing choices. Changing some of the sounds and eliminating some dialog hurts it, in my opinion. I also don't think we really should ever be able to see all of VGer, it's pretty goofy looking as a whole and I thought it much better left to the imagination.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
All of that also describes ST09 as well. Not saying that makes it good.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

Timby posted:

No one ever accused Starfleet admirals of being particularly smart. (In fact, that's kind of a running theme throughout all of Star Trek -- very few admirals are effective or intelligent.)

Also see: Admiral Janeway.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
On the Vulcan thing, wasn't it explained somewhere that Vulcans are actually super emotional and it led to all kinds of conflict and war? They split into two camps, Vulcans who decided that emotion must be kept under check and developed a society based around that, and Romulans who don't limit themselves in such a way. I dunno, I thought I remember that from back somewhere.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Roberto Orci has stepped down from directing ST3.

Apparently Jonathan Frakes is now pushing to get the job, waiting for response from Paramount.

"I'm all over it. I would love that job. I'm trying to keep the lid on how excited I am about the possibility, knowing it's such a long shot. But there's nothing I would like better."

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Now apparently being written by Simon Pegg and Doug Jung. Didn't see that one coming.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
The Motion Picture is great, it's very slow paced in a refreshing sort of way. It's about exploration of this thing that they can't comprehend and it's so serious in tone compared to almost all other Trek media.

I do not like the Director's Cut. There are some edits that baffle me (although I can understand taking out a couple Kirk-is-an-rear end in a top hat moments).
They messed with the sound effects, and although some of the updated effects look nice, the old ones were fine just the way they were (although I'll confess updated Vulcan is much better). The biggest crime is actually showing the entirety of the enemy on screen (I'm being vague on purpose). It looks goofy, and I much preferred leaving that to my imagination. All of the strange buildup and long panning shots are ruined by seeing too much later on.

Also, the soundtrack is epic and amazing. They even created a new instrument for it, which is essentially a giant metal saw to be hit with mallets- it's a unique sound and adds so much character.

Edit: no forgiving the wardrobe choices though. Holy poo poo those uniforms are terrible.

NarkyBark fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 9, 2015

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I also love TMP, just for the pompous grandeur of it. I wonder if that kind of movie is long past, the kind that just wallows in scifi exploration, without feeling like it has to resort to frantic action or comedy sequences. I don't think modern audiences would stomach it anymore. Like, how would a remake of Fantastic Voyage do? (I'm aware that these kinds of movies do still exist, like Europa Report, but even that has a smaller scope. They do seem to be getting rarer to me.)

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
True, but Interstellar was more focused on the family unit than it was the exploration. I think the exploration parts of it were great. I guess I just like the whole "completely unknown" thing. I imagine it's tough to write that kind of story and have it feel fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Reviews seem to be flowing in now... noticed a few on youtube and rottentomatoes is filling up. Looks to be mostly positive.

• Locked thread