Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Well (comic spoilers) Given that in the comic (according to the summary I read) Kirk kills Mitchell after he gets superpowers but his body is jettisoned intact like Spock's at the end of WoK, maybe he comes back to life somehow?

Would they really have the movie plot be about Mitchell using God-like powers without actually showing him get the powers and then die? I mean, background story, sure, but if they have Mitchell show up, already with God-like powers and talking about revenge, and have someone just say, "Oh, yeah, he got those powers a little while back, I thought I killed him but I guess not" that is going to be really weird.

Unless they plan on retelling the story in the comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

A human heart posted:

Film is made up almost entirely of visual metaphors. It's not as if it's a real spaceship that someone just happened to capture on film. What ideals does the Enterprise represent? With just a trailer it's difficult to know what the water here is, but there's tons of things it could be.

From the first 9 minutes that some people have already seen and reported on apparently the Enterprise is underwater because they're on a planet populated by a pre-warp race, and are going all Prime Directive on hiding their technology while studying them. So they're hiding the Enterprise under water. (This would also mean that the ship crashing into the water in the trailer either isn't the Enterprise, or the Enterprise then crashes into the ocean later in the film.) So in this case the Enterprise could represent knowledge or power, which is being kept from a primitive race because of the arrogance of the Federation. The primitive masses are being insulted because they're too oblivious to notice a spaceship when it's being hidden right under their noses, so they don't deserve the knowledge the Federation keeps to themselves.

Or something. I'm really bad at film theory. My point it it's possible. I'll have to see the movie to know more.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The villain is Spock's half brother, whom he've never heard of before.
He has the power to "take away your pain". Somehow. Don't ask how, we won't be getting into it. He's just a really special half-Vulcan/half-human, with one very specific non-explained super power.
The secondary villain is an incredibly boring Klingon. Who wants to kill Kirk. Because that's what Klingons do. But don't worry, he'll never be seen as an actual threat.
Rocket boots.
Row Row Row Your Boat.
Uhura fan dance.
"Hold onto your horse."
A barrier into the center of the galaxy. That no one can go into. Or they'll die. Which they go through. In literally two seconds. With no damage to anything. The lights don't even flicker. Why did they think they couldn't go in there? Has the federation never even sent a probe into there? Did they just stay away because it had scary looking purple clouds?
Finale where they meet God. Who isn't God. And, after being asked to "show yourself", shows up looking exactly like our villain. Which freaks the villain out.
They shoot it with torpedoes. It's fine. They shoot it with one laser blast. It's dead.
And finish is all out with a reprise of Row Row Row Your Boat.

I'll give it that it has some good interactions. I especially love, "Don't you know a jail break when you see one?!" and the famous, "What does God need with a starship." And it does into some interesting themes. But the aforementioned bad far outweighs the good. At least First Contact was entertaining, and brought back the main enemies of TNG.

I'd say the best odd Star Trek film is The Search for Spock. It mainly suffers from a somewhat lackluster villain after having just gotten away from Khan, and has some strange moments. But it's fun when it needs to be, and has Kirk experiencing real loss, which is rare. (Yes, he had just lost Spock, but since he gets him back in this movie, losing David is one of the few instances of real loss that sticks with the character.)

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 13, 2012

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Tars Tarkas posted:

And Sybok was full-Vulcan, so him being a mind-melding Dr. Phil is more in line.

Well, this I did not know. But considering he looked more human than any vulcan I've ever seen, including the half-Vulcan Spock, I don't think I was too far off base assuming he was, at most, half.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dan Didio posted:

Absolutely.

Is that first shot definitely from the ship's engine room? I remember it having a pretty distinct look in the original, which for some stupid reason a lot of people criticized or something. I forget what it was, but the set was a problem for some people.

Cellophane S posted:

The engine room in 2009 movie was the Budweiser factory I believe

Yeah, it was indeed a Budweiser factory, hence all the tubes everywhere. I think it was done that way due to budget concerns. In fact, I'm guessing they paid for the right to use the factory as a set by throwing that "Budweiser Classic" line in near the beginning, but I have no facts to back that up.

I didn't have a problem with it, but people sure bitched about it a lot.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 18, 2012

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Craig Spradlin posted:

Based on that article, I think it's possible that in this timeline, Starfleet got to the Botany Bay (or another sleeper ship) since Kirk wasn't around to intercept it, and have the superhumans under wraps somewhere. Harrison is one of them, perhaps unfrozen and serving in Starfleet as some kind of high-level advisor, since the superhumans were all crazy smart. He wants the rest of his people unfrozen, and he wants his planet back. If Peter Weller is indeed in the movie somewhere as an advisor to Harrison, there's Khan. It's a riff on an old story, but a new character.

I've been assuming this since I heard Peter Weller is in the movie. And honestly, it sounds like it could be a good idea, if this is the case.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Payndz posted:

"ADMIRAL Kirk?!? Admiral Kirk..."

This goes through my head every time I see the words "Admiral Kirk" too.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

mind the walrus posted:

So is this guy Khan or not? I really hope he's not.

Do we know who Peter Weller is playing yet? A while ago I heard something about an old man either guiding or mentoring the main bad guy's character. Sounds like he could be Khan, but working from the shadows this time. Maybe someone woke him up earlier in this timeline, explaining his age difference.

Just a thought, and I don't actually know if what's in spoiler text here is a spoiler, as it's a vague recollection of something mentioned (probably in this thread) months ago.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

MadScientistWorking posted:

Well I was referring to the interior of the refit which looked pretty dull and drab for the flagship. I remember the original series interior being more brighter.

I remember reading that the sets were so colorful in TOS because color TV was still somewhat of a novelty. So Roddenberry told the set designer to go crazy with the color, to stand out.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Great_Gerbil posted:

So, returning to the upcoming movie.

The newest Countdown to Darkness makes a few interesting reveals.

Starfleet believes Robert April is dead. HIS Enterprise was decommissioned and Pike/Kirk's Enterprise was built shortly thereafter.

April faked his own death with the help of his second in command with the last name Marcus. They, too, were on a routine survey mission when they witnessed a genocide. April was too overcome to remain uninvolved. He stole guns and armed the underdogs.

Based on this and some other things I've been hearing, it sounds like a big part of the plot will be the Prime Directive, when it's important to follow it, and when it's important to go it on your own. Sounds like a cool idea for the new movie.

Great_Gerbil posted:

We also meet a young lady smuggler named... Mudd.

Oh Christ.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

DrNutt posted:

Don't go all Dirk Benedict on us, now. Taking a notoriously sexist character and switching the gender for the new series could potentially be really awesome, if done well.

Whoa whoa, I have no problem with Mudd being a woman. I have a problem with Mudd showing up at all in the sequel. Granted, I doubt he/she will, but showing up in the comic is a little too close for comfort.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The last movie was a bit of a special circumstance. The writers strike made it so certain things couldn't be added into the movie once it became apparent the movie wasn't making them clear already. They were in the comics already, which means you could find out, but they just couldn't write new scenes to help. So the comics filled in those gaps instead.

This time they can fill in whatever gaps they need to, so I don't see the comics as being a necessary. They can still be fun and supplement the movies, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cingulate posted:

Oh, I was just afraid they'd be detrimental to the enjoyment of the movie due to, I don't know, spoilering, or adding a bunch of unnecessary background that would only slow stuff down.

For Star Trek 09 they definitely helped. Some parts were a little insane, but I'm glad I read them. I'll probably read these new ones at some point before the movie comes out, too.

• Locked thread