Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I liked the new Star Trek film but I'd hoped they'd avoid Khan since Wrath was so amazing and relied so strongly on the sheer Ahab-esque hatred for Kirk that Khan had developed over decades.

That said, Benedict Cumberbatch? I'm totally onboard for Captain Kirk vs Sherlock Holmes in Space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'll also be happy so long as we get more stuff like this:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

korusan posted:

TOS was full of the same amount of sex and action as the new movie was, but appropriate for the period.

I completely agree with your point, but I couldn't help but think of the following scene when you used the words "appropriate for the period"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nemesis had Tom Hardy playing a villain and he was poo poo. I didn't even think that was possible, and yet here we are.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I agree with Young Freud. I've always been a much bigger fan of the idea that Nero's ship is just a huge loving mining ship with technology a century or more ahead of TOS-era stuff, and that's why it is able to tear through them so easily when it would probably be torn to shreds by the "modern" equivalents of the Enterprise from its own era.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

quote:

who seems to have forgotten that part of the thrill of being a comic book/film/sci-fi fan is about getting as many details as possible in advance. “It just spoils the film,” he complains.

I'm a comic book/film/sci-fi fan and this isn't part of the thrill for me at all!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

penismightier posted:

I hope he's playing the salt vampire. I love the salt vampire.

That thing was terrifying. Poor McCoy :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Timby posted:

A Good Day to Die Hard

Now I know this exists and I'm so, so angry.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

Overall it's basically more of the same from the last movie. If you liked the first reboot film, then you'll enjoy this one. If you didn't like the previous one then many of the issues from it remain in this one. Worth watching though.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the film and felt it was a great follow-up to the first as well as having some really neat callbacks to the old movies and tv series. I thought Benedict Cumberbatch was excellent but that's kind of like saying I find water to be wet, really.

The only issues I really had with the film (both late movie spoilers) were:

They make a big point about how they can't communicate with Earth/Starfleet but a little later Spock is able to communicate with old Spock on New Vulcan, and I would have thought that it might have paid to mention,"Oh p.s, can you call up Starfleet and let them know what's going on, because poo poo be crazy."

The massive destruction caused by the Vengeance crashing into San Francisco is pretty much completely brushed over, when it really should have had bigger impact. When Spock is chasing Khan down the street people are just kind of wondering around/driving down the roads like nothing has happened, and in the "one year later" bit the talk seems to be more about Khan's attack on Starfleet's assembled leaders in the aftermath of the London bombing than the massive loss of life and destruction of property that followed a couple of days later.

That said, I hugely enjoyed the film's theme that the senseless, immediate and savage satisfaction of vengeance in reaction to a terrorist attack (that you could argue was in some ways justified) is not a good thing, and what is really important is to heal and move on with resolve and grace, rising above going "into darkness" like people like Marcus saw as their only alternative. After seeing the film, the movie title made far more sense than the pun it initially seemed to be.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

korusan posted:

Old Kirk refers to himself as a soldier, not a diplomat, in one of the old series episodes.

At the end of this new film, Kirk makes a point of noting he never truly understood what "Our mission - to seek out new life, and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before" meant, but after the events of the film he has come to see it as embracing the spirit of exploration and not militarization. He's rejecting Admiral Marcus' vision and embracing Admiral Pike's, and accepting Scotty's (and Spock's) earlier reminders that they're explorers, not soldiers.

Oh yeah, another thing I loved is that they made a big deal out of how well Sulu acclimated to being in the Captain's chair, cementing early on that he's bound for bigger things.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DS9 was "grittier and darker" but it also told a drat good, interesting story rather than being dark and gritty for its own sake. Voyager (which was sadly more popular than DS9 from memory) marked the point where the franchise ran out of ideas.... or rather, was afraid to implement them. Ronald Moore's Battlestar Galactica includes a lot of themes he had expected/hoped to have in Voyager which weren't possible because they wanted easily syndicated standalone episodes.

Into Darkness' strength in my mind isn't necessarily that it rejects grim 'n' grittyTM but that tells an engaging story and uses the rejection of going "into darkness" as the key theme - the brighter, more optimistic exploratory nature of Starfleet isn't intrinsically superior to an examination of the lengths a culture will go to in order to preserve its high standard of living. Both takes on the series can be engrossing if the story/characters are there to back it up, and this is what ST:ID does well in my opinion. It gives the characters a choice to make and shows the anguish and difficulty of making it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bargearse posted:

As a means of smuggling the cryotubes to safety. When he was caught, he assumed Section 31 had them all killed until Kirk told him how many torpedoes he had and put the pieces together.

Yeah, once he learns they're on the ship he's desperate to know how many there are. When he learns it is ALL of his crew (whom he had assumed were dead) he instantly surrenders despite clearly being able to defeat them all so he can reunite with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jesus Christ, what a horrible thing to happen. 27 years old, in his own driveway and minding his own business and suddenly dead.

• Locked thread