Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot

Lord Krangdar posted:

You don't seem to understand how creative decisions are made. It's not a rational process, and it often can come down to split second gut decisions made while multitasking. Your expectations are totally alien to the way creative decisions are actually made, as described in this short interview with the casting directors on this film:

I'd like to point out that these two, as part of Bad Robot, have had a relatively good track record when it comes to diverse casting.

Those gut decisions are shaped and influenced by broader social forces. What actors are hot now? Who does the director or casting director know? What entirely unconscious biases do the people involved have? We call these things "systemic racism", or, when women are involved, "patriarchy" (kyriarchy). Specific people don't have to have malicious intent or even unconscious racist feelings for the results of their decisions to have problematic implications. I think what Warszawa would ask is that us white folks try to be a little more attentive to these issues when doing things like casting for a movie.

In that light I find it especially troubling that they already recognized that there were reasons to get a latino actor but when push came to shove they went with a white guy. To my mind this shows that they didn't put enough thought into it and/or didn't care. At the very least I'm going to call that "insensitive" and whether I believe it to be deeply important that THIS part be played by THIS minority, the results of the creative process need to be questioned for how they interact with broader social trends.

Also, "relatively good" is not the same as "good", and even the relatively part is debatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot
It MIGHT have some relevance if the false name in the new movie had been Erickson. That would have at least demonstrated that the writers were aware of some of the complex racial issues at play with the character of Khan. It still would have been far from perfect, but I think it would have been better and even would have lent some credence to SMG's reading of the film. Instead it just come off as thoughtless, especially given JJ's brushoff of the question.

Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot

Cingulate posted:

The shuttle chase scene was used for character development ...

Such wonderful character development too! I sure liked knowing that Spock needed his girlfriend's permission to heroically sacrifice himself for others. Cause that's what women are like amirightfellas?

:suicide:

Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot

Cingulate posted:

You may argue that it was bad character development, or, it seems in this case, character development you somehow didn't like. By arguing that you're however agreeing to the presupposition that it's character development.

I didn't deny that it was. I was just taking the opportunity to complain about how stupid that scene was and the disgusting sexism on display. Sorry if it came out wrong.

• Locked thread