Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ShineDog posted:

you just get characters spouting a handful of lines that are meant to define them, which doesn't go nearly far enough to justifying the choices they take.

Not making any argument for or against or other points, but this is wrongheaded. The characters' decisions are what defines them. Action is characterization. We don't need some dialogue aforehand to justify it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

yronic heroism posted:

Honestly I wouldn't care if it were any old Federation Planet, but Earth was stretching it for me.

There's hardly anything defending Washington D.C. and the Pentagon was attacked just over a decade ago. This just isn't how societies that aren't at war function (or most societies that are) and Starfleet isn't even a military organization in the film. That's like, a big part of the plot.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Strange Matter posted:

That's true but is that such a terrible point of view to have when the alternative is "It is our duty as a superior civilization to enforce our ethics and culture upon less sophisticated societies?" Any civilization that undertakes a concentrated campaign of exploration beyond the boarders of its homeland has to figure out which side of that debate they fall on

The only options on encountering other cultures are not "run and hide" and "murder and colonize indiscriminately". At least not necessarily.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cingulate posted:

The shuttle chase scene was used for character development ...

No. Character development only happens in dialogue scenes, especially if they involve crying or yelling. Ideally the development is narrated by the characters as it happens.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

computer parts posted:

Yeah, I don't think it's completely unreasonable to be angry that your SO decides to effectively kill himself for a reasonably pointless cause without even talking to you about it until five minutes before he does it.

Yeah I would say she's the voice of reason there. Sacrificing yourself in a macho display of your toughness and self-destructiveness is dumb and egotistical. You need some very good reasons to make that the right decision.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cingulate posted:

I'll give for now that the way the scene played out somehow makes a point about Kirk or whatever. How is what exactly the audience is shown, how it is shown Alice Eve's abs, important for that point? The camera and lighting were pointed that way for a reason. Which? Is it the same reason why Troi wore a miniskirt?

Yes, there is a point to it. We are given essentially Kirk's perspective on Marucs - his male-gazey, lecherous perspective. We may enjoy seeing her from this angle, but that means her dismissal of, and even contempt for, Kirk is also for us. Also, is there something inherently wrong with showing sexy women in various states of undress?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Crappy Jack posted:

Or, as has been documented as happening in numerous motion pictures, it was implied to her that if she didn't do the scene they would seek out an actress who would be willing to do it, and then she would be out the exposure and money that goes with appearing in a huge budget blockbuster sci-fi franchise film. But no, the up-and-coming young actress appearing in her largest role to date probably really really wanted to have a scene where she appears in her underwear. I mean, if you're gonna start bringing in hypothetical thought processes, I'm probably gonna side with the one that's been demonstrably true for decades.

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/06/25/magazine/the-pressure-to-take-it-off.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

Not that this is actually relevant or whatever, because speculating on her motives is both absurd and meaningless, but she spent approximately all of her screen time in Crossing Over naked so I don't think she's like, super sad about being in her underwear for about 10 seconds in a scene where she's shot from angles that make her look like a Greek goddess.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cingulate posted:

Is not? A few posts back, Ferrinus explicitly endorsed how this scene, same stuff going on, same things being filmed, could have worked just by changing camera angles.
You're not reading what's being said.

No, he didn't. His suggestion was to explicitly not show a woman in her underwear, but to bowdlerize it out and just sort of show her face.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The Motion Picture may also be the most Jack Kirby looking film we'll ever see. The inside of V'Ger is Fourth World as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Snak posted:

I mean, I enjoyed both of them, but they were neither fine movies nor star trek movies.

This is such a lame, cop out thing to say.

• Locked thread