Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...
It was, like a lot of the JJ Abrams stuff, more slick and kinetic (and yes, dumbed down) than a lot of what I think of as classic Trek, but as with Star Trek 09, I didn't mind it. On some level, I'm just thrilled for mainstream audiences to be excited about sci-fi again, and I'm legitimately excited to see what he does with Star Wars. Seems like a perfect fit.

One change I would've liked would have resolved the "Where are all the starships?" issue. While Marcus is attacking, they could have the Enterprise contact some Federation ships in the system and at least summon them to the scene. Around the time the Vengeance's weapons come back online and Khan takes it over, the reinforcements show up and Khan blows them away. Then again, they explain why no other ships show up well enough with the whole "jammed communications" throwaway line, and I suppose the blasting of the Enterprise while it was in warp fulfilled the space destruction quota well enough.

The person I saw it with thinks asking Old Spock for advice was a bit of a cheat, and I agree. I guess I assumed he had removed himself from events so as not to alter the timeline further and was off living as a hermit somewhere, not within easy reach of a video phone. Still, explaining that (or worse, killing him off while you still have Nimoy as a resource) would've taken as much screentime as just putting him in. Nimoy has waffled a lot about whether he is "retired" from acting (see his stint on Fringe as Bell), so I can see why the writers struggled with what to do with the character. Still, I hope if more movies get made, they can tread some new territory. I think they've earned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

JediTalentAgent posted:

On the other hand, Kirk makes a big deal at the start of the film about how he's had the fewest number of deaths on his ship compared to other vessels in Starfleet. Yeah, I get that he shows a lot of humility and learns consequences by about start of the 3rd act, but I think him having to directly face the death of a crewman under his command would have cemented some more character development.

He does. In addition to the dozens of people we see dying when they get sucked out at warp, Kirk personally misses the grip of a falling crewman. He goes from "No deaths. :smug:" to catastrophic disaster in the span of seconds, all because he thought he could escape without consequences. He's clearly devastated by what has happened by the time he's begging the Admiral to spare his crew's life, and while he's probably brave enough to do it anyway, it certainly informs his decision to sacrifice himself. I don't think they really needed to be more direct than this.

• Locked thread