Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Gary Mitchell as the baddie could be fun, but just rehashing that episode would be kind of lazy. Did they ever explain (in the episode) how they managed to get to the very edge of the galaxy? The brush with the galactic barrier is what made Mitchell a danger to begin with (which, incidentally, was later retconned as a huge galactic shield to keep this thing called the Unity - think subspace nano-Borg - out and was recharged by Kirks half-human/quarter-klingon/quarter-romulan jesus child).

Oh yeah, and the thing at the center of the galaxy in ST5 was an exiled Q, for added shits and giggles.

Was that all in the books "written" by Shatner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

That looks like a really fun movie. Definitely not Star Trek of old, but entertaining.

The shot of the cliff with all the red vegetation totally reminds me of War of the Worlds.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It's 3am so this is going to be minimal. Any spoilers are behind tags for people who are keeping unspoiled.

A fun movie, and a good continuation of the rebooted universe. There are quite a few references to the previous movie and nods to the tv shows (one blink and you'll miss it shot establishes that the Enterprise NX-01 existed in this timeline). The previous movie actually ties into the events of this one in satisfying ways, in particular the (John Harrison spoilers) discovery of the Botany Bay is said to have been in response to lots of scouting which happened following the destruction of Vulcan..

The well publicized opening sequence was amazing. I would definitely watch a tv show with this crew if it could live up to that. Nailed what can be best about Star Trek in my opinion, and the things that seem absurd such as the Enterprise being hidden underwater are actually remarked upon by characters as being a bad idea.

The movie feels strangest when it gets closest to referencing the old shows and movies. I can deal perfectly fine with a remake of a franchise reusing old ideas in new ways, but where they overtly say that this is a different timeline of the same universe (we even briefly see Old Spock again to rub that in) reusing some of the old scenes in new ways Kirk dying in an attempt to get warp back online feels very strange. There is no real reason that the same situation would have occurred at that time in almost the same way, so it took me out of the movie somewhat as a distinct REMEMBER WHEN THIS HAPPENED IN THE OLD MOVIE?! moment.

Liked: Engineering. It still suffers from brewery set syndrome where the scale of the set seems bigger than what could fit in the ship, but it at least looks more convincingly like an engine room. New aspects of the set like the warp core look awesome. Simon Pegg steals every scene he is in, and Keith Urban nails McCoy. The ship looks great inside and out. Nice exploration of Spocks character, there is a Kirk/Uhura/Spock scene which turns quickly from amusing banter into real emotional stuff.

Criticisms (behind spoilers so I can quickly summarize): With a lot of the action taking place near Earth I don't understand why the Enterprise doesn't call for help at any point. There is a brief mention of comms being down but they apparently come back up at some point, yet despite the Enterprise plunging into the atmosphere it seems like no-one notices, leaving the Enterprise crew to pursue Khan in SF alone. As mentioned earlier, the scene with Kirk fixing the warp core took me right out of the movie as it was clear from the instant we saw the glass door what was going to happen. There is a massive issue with the magical Khan blood where apparently it can be synthesized and cures basically everything including death with no issues, suspect they will just have to awkwardly ignore its existence in future films.

Overall it's basically more of the same from the last movie. If you liked the first reboot film, then you'll enjoy this one. If you didn't like the previous one then many of the issues from it remain in this one. Worth watching though.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Do they get more to do this time? They were criminally underused in the first go around, especially Urban. I'd really prefer a movie just with the two of them sort of having to react to and deal with all the crazy bullshit situations Kirk puts them in.

[

Yup. The film really does a good job of making all the ensemble important to the film and gives them their own focus at points.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Hewlett posted:

I didn't know they'd recast the role; that's certainly an interesting choice to make.

Whoops, that's what happens when you write at 3am.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

They allow themselves to indulge their emotions to a limited degree when they deem it logical to do so.

Basically, don't let your feelings out when you're not on personal time.

Vulcans are an entire race of airline pilots.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Sometimes I think the biggest obstacle to Star Trek creating new and interesting stories isn't having to pander to the action crowd, it's the 30+ years constant self-reverence as exemplified in scenes like the one above.

Fan ideas can quickly get too referential and wanky, but there is a good balance. The Force Awakens (while far from perfect), did a great job of cutting off the obscure extended universe stuff while also giving fans things like the original Millennium Falcon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Helsing posted:

I don't have a particularly deep investment in the Star Trek franchise. I was never a huge fan and when I revisit the old stuff I am mostly struck by how corny and dumb it all is. I just think that if there is one thing that actually made the Star Trek franchise stand out at all it was those moments when it did aim to be a bit more cerebral and philosophical. If you are going to bother to remake or update the series I'd rather see a new variation on those themes. Sure, do something new with them, but don't completely ditch the one part of Star Trek that actually makes it distinctive.

I'm reasonably confident that these films will never leave a cultural mark comparable to the originals because TOS or Next Gen were at least distinctive and striving to do something slightly unusual. The new ones are so derivative that they are barely distinguishable from Force Awakens or Guardians of the Galaxy or any of those other dull action sci-fi films of the last few years.

I still think of myself as a Star Trek fan, and as a kid I was totally engrossed in the books, knowing things like the TNG Tech Manual inside out.

It wasn't until recently however that I realised I don't really care about the show. I haven't seen all the episodes of any of the series. It's the fact that it was a coherent, promising, thoughtful universe that drew me in.

• Locked thread