Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Miltank posted:

I had no idea that Khan was even supposed to be latino. I just thought he was a kinda tan or something.

He was played by a hispanic man, but if you go by his name he was supposed to have been south Asian/Indian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MorgaineDax posted:

So has anyone posted this yet?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/9285164/How-Simon-Pegg-became-a-big-fish.html

An interview with Simon Pegg where he says that Cumberbatch is not playing Khan.

Oh cool, so the pages and pages of arguments about a British guy playing the role of an Indian dude formerly played by a hispanic guy were all completely pointless.

Good to know.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

I like the "not just another disgruntled alien" comment. It'll be interesting to see which direction they go.

I'm just hoping its not "disgruntled human supremacist seeks to disband federation" since thats just another version of disgruntled alien but I'm confident they'll tell a fun story with this film.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

Honestly most of the screaming I'm hearing are people being pissed that Khan was whitwashed as a character.

I still feel weird about that considering that if you look at it another way he was already... I don't know, "brownwashed" in the first place considering that he was a character of Indian/West Asian descent being played by a Mexican man. Seems like a lot of hair splitting to me.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

Also, the character we see in the new movies is ten or so years younger than when we first see Kirk in the Original Series. Beyond that, there may be a few odd mentions of Kirk being bookish, but if you actually sit down and watch TOS, Kirk punches stuff constantly. The public perception of Captain Kirk may be exaggerated, but it's definitely all there in the source material.

That might just be because scenes like Kirk awkwardly fighting off that lizard dude are more memorable and make for better still images than the more talky scenes, which the show did have plenty of as well.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

That's not a bad idea, but we can't keep talking about it in terms like "such and such is obviously offensive" because holy poo poo the character concept of Khan is problematic in the first place.

Is the original concept of Khan really that offensive? He's just your average run of the mill genetic superman/genius that you find in a lot of science fiction from that period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

That part is not offensive. It only becomes problematic if his ethnicity is somehow integral to his character. If his identity is purely that of a genetic superman/genius, then there is no reason he could not be white and British.

If his ethnicity is integral to his character, then why is it?

edit: to SMG: what about The Omega Glory or Patterns of Force?

Its been a while since I've seen that episode, but if I recall correctly the augmented humans came in a variety of races and Khan was just one of their best and brightest which is why he was the leader. The characters race could have been incidental since it wasn't really referenced more than once in the episode, but considering it was made in the 60's maybe they thought it would be cool to have the example of homo superior be someone other than a WASP? Perhaps that makes it racist in a different way, but its a well meaning sort of racism that wasn't uncommon for media from the period.

• Locked thread