Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
So Obama went to a sandwich shop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
I'm sure those sandwiches smell like poo poo.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Missed the Libertad v. Universidad game, but caught the highlights. 1-1 draw with la U defense totally gifting a goal to Libertad, then Libertad's goalkeeper repaying the gift by completely missing an errant shot. Universidad will be pretty happy with that and you can pretty much tell they'll take it in the next leg.

The Vasco v. Corinthians game was nuts. Muddy as hell. Raining like crazy. Both teams wasting golden chances. Some decent, but erratic saves from both keepers. Vasco were on the front foot for the majority of the game and were denied a great goal in the 2nd half due to a really bad offsides call. I can't imagine playing with Fagner or Alecsandro is good for one's blood pressure. Game ended 0-0. Corinthians probably favorites to go through now.

dj_pain, sneak some Libertadores at work (but not really, don't get fired).

Vinestalk fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 17, 2012

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Vinestalk posted:

dj_pain, sneak some Libertadores at work (but not really, don't get fired).

Last place I worked at I was by myself in a office. All I did was watch copa libertadores/Copa sudamericana and WCQ games. But now I work in a office with a lot of people. I think I will need to work from home next WCQ games (which is next month (Will this be the thread where we all turn on each other? or will it be the WCQ thread again.))

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Great game so far. Plenty of chances for both sides.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Yeah, even on a lovely stream with hosed up colors I'm enjoying it so far.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Yeah, narrow misses by both teams. Sobis showing some flashes of stuff, Rodriguez is barreling down the left, hope they can keep the pace of this match without it getting too cagey. Atmosphere is always amazing there.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

Drogadon posted:

Yeah, even on a lovely stream with hosed up colors I'm enjoying it so far.

try futbolarg.com or livetv.ru

All those wide headers made miss Palermo.

hello i am phone fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 18, 2012

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Mr. Bean handing cards left and right.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Wow, a smile actually appeared on Falcioni's face when that 2nd yellow was shown. Bye Carlinhos, good luck Flu.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

hecko posted:

try futbolarg.com or livetv.ru

Much better, thanks. Riquelme owns, his passing is always so precise :swoon:

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Boca is going to be so disappointed if they don't take advantage in the first half. Flu's going to come out organized in the 2nd.

Edit: Man, I don't know about that handball. Was definitely ball to hand and close quarters, but definitely a goal scoring chance.

Vinestalk fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 18, 2012

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

One thing I've realized, It sucks watching a english stream :(

EDIT: And finally boca score a goal. Also was that tevez and messi in the stands?

dj_pain fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 18, 2012

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Finally!

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

dj_pain posted:

One thing I've realized, It sucks watching a english stream :(

EDIT: And finally boca score a goal. Also was that tevez and messi in the stands?

http://www.ustream.tv/channel-popup/asgawtgrt211

It has annoying ads if you have to reconnect but otherwise very good

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
:stare: That pass by Riquelme

Yeah, Tevez in the stands. 9 games in England is a long time, so he needs to recoup back in Argentina.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Drogadon posted:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel-popup/asgawtgrt211

It has annoying ads if you have to reconnect but otherwise very good

thanks I'll jump onto it now.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Excuse my fawning over him but every loving one of his passes is so intelligent, Riquelme is really great to watch.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

Vinestalk posted:

Yeah, Tevez in the stands. 9 games in England is a long time, so he needs to recoup back in Argentina.
Not like he has anything to do this weekend. He said he'll spend a couple of days in BA and come back to England to start negotiating his transfer.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Holy crap that play! too bad Schiavi's finishing was crap.

e: I was too harsh, the replay showed he did well, unlucky and the keeper was paying attention.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
He's missed a couple golden chances.

hecko posted:

Not like he has anything to do this weekend. He said he'll spend a couple of days in BA and come back to England to start negotiating his transfer.

True, I'll just never understand his globetrotting. But I guess he has the money to own a private jet.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Lucky for Boca that Flu have been utterly toothless tonight

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Might not have been as high scoring as Boca's previous Libertadores games, but was certainly exciting. Flu's definitely happy to only come out of that 1-0 down though. Tuning into Velez/Santos now. They're busting out the leaf blowers to deal with the confetti :lol:

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Vinestalk posted:

Might not have been as high scoring as Boca's previous Libertadores games, but was certainly exciting. Flu's definitely happy to only come out of that 1-0 down though.

To come out of La Bombonera losing one - nil is good. The return leg is where it's going to get messy.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Velez deservedly 1-0 up at halftime. They're pressing with a lot of effort while Santos looking half-hearted (1 shot the entire half). Santos are being totally wasteful in possession. Velez's goal was a real nice flicked header over the keeper.

edit: Game ends 1-0 to Velez. They played well and had some great chances to increase their lead, but they were all too close to the keeper. Santos still looked lackadaisical. Elano got so frustrated with the lack of shots, he tried to pull off an olimpico. He got it on target, but the keeper touched it over the bar.

Vinestalk fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 18, 2012

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Lucas Viatri scored in his first game after after 7 month because a knee injury.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIvWeSWv8jM

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Uruguay's clasico was played yesterday, it was pretty awesome in a lovely way. The pitch was bad and the rain didn't help with that. Peñarol played better but they are poo poo a team of bottlers who can only beat the smallest teams in the country. Nacional beat them 3-2 with ten players because an idiot was sent off.

Make that nine and a half players because Nacional's only forward at the end of the game (Porta) passed out twice because of an accidental elbow to the head and kept playing because Nacional had used all their subs.

Here are the goals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FYrGuOL8MY

You might recognize the guy scoring the victory goal for Nacional, it's Álvaro "I was the highest paid player in the world for a while when I played for Inter" Recoba he's old and slow now but he's still good at freekicks.

Of course it wouldn't be a clásico without violence, so over 50 people were arrested outside the stadium for causing trouble and a Peñarol fan was stabbed inside the stadium by one of his own. No handbags inside the field this time, sorry everyone, maybe next year.

Welp, that was it. Uruguayan football sucks rear end.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Penarol's second goal looked pretty sweet.

hecko posted:

Lucas Viatri scored in his first game after after 7 month because a knee injury.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIvWeSWv8jM

That goal's pretty amazing, especially for a guy coming off a knee injury. Just no hesitation there.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

In 1993 Club Sport Herediano won their 21st Costa Rican league championship, since then they have been poo poo and/or unlucky, until saturday where by beating Santos de Guapiles 1-2 away (6-3 agg), "El Team" are champions again.

This makes me happy for two reasons, 1. Anyone but the purple cunts and 2. Heredianos are really awesome and loyal fans, they love their team like you wouldn't believe and really deserved to finally celebrate after being bitterly disappointed last tournament and losing to a dodgy ref call.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150858707494340

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Hey, that's where José Cancela plays. I thought he was like a billion years old but turns out he's only 35. Is he still any good?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Yeah, he's a key player for Herediano, I think he's even the captain sometimes. He scores good goals on a regular basis too.

It's weird, I always thought South Americans playing here were nobodies back home, that's why I didn't even ask if you knew him.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

He used to play for Peñarol, so he is well known. He kinda disappeared from my radar after he went to the MLS. Glad he's doing fine over there.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Recent news out of Brazil is that Atletico Mineiro made an official offer for Forlan, something around 6 million euros over 2 years.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Would be such a step down for Forlan, if true. He could totally find a better team elsewhere. Mineiro are so dire right now, depending on a bunch of loan players and Jo.

By the way. Libertadores tonight. Boca @ Flu (6:30PM EDT) and Vasco @ Corinthians (9PM EDT). Boca and Corinthians favorites to go through (Although Corinthians just came off a loss and Vasco came off of a win in Serie A). Should be a pair of interesting games.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Forlan should go to Sao Paulo, at least so he can fullfill on of his promises. He has promised to play for Sao Paulo (because his father played there), for Independiente and Penarol before retiring. I don't think he'll have the time to do it all.

He should just go to Independiente and retire where he started.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
The thing with Forlan is that he's overpriced for his age and he came off of a poo poo season with Inter. Inter isn't going to sell for much less than what they paid and Nobody in Europe will want to spend that much on someone who was poo poo (and injured and old) all season. A Brazilian side signing him would give him a chance to start over in a totally different league and playing style. I bet if he goes he'll score a shitload of goals.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
For comparison: Sao Paulo finished 6th last season (4 points behind 3rd place) while Mineiro finished 15th (4 points above relegation zone).

Might be a weird fit for Sao Paulo. They love playing 5 midfielders behind Luis Fabiano with Jadson coming in from midfield. When it works, it works, but their midfield can be uncreative sometimes (:lol: Denilson). But Forlan and Fabiano up top would be pretty cool to see, especially with Jadson in the hole behind them. It's not exactly what they need to start really challenging, but it could be one of those pieces that makes things click a little better. Seems unlikely that they'd make a move (or change formation), though. They have a line of young strikers behind Luis Fabiano.

Can only see Mineiro as a terrible idea. I totally agree that will score goals, but those goals would be wasted there.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I don't think that matters. Pretty much every Brazilian team right now is a bunch of loan players, young promises, and has beens. Flu went from 1 point above the relegation zone in 08 and 09 to champions in 10, Vasco was 7 points from relegation in 10 and runners up in 11, and conversenly cruzeiro went from runners up in 10 to 2 points above relegation in 11.

Point being, other than Sao Paulo, Santos and Internacional, which have been consistently good throughout the decade, every other Brazilian club has been pretty much assembling teams on a year by year basis, with wildly different results each time. Even Corinthians was relegated just a few seasons ago.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

You should also consider that Forlan isn't a forward anymore, he's sort of a creative midfielder. Whoever buys him expecting him to be some sort of number nine will be greatly disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
That I did not know. I didn't see him play at Inter, but I always thought he wasn't playing from that far back for Atletico Madrid. I knew Aguero led the line there.

joepinetree posted:

I don't think that matters. Pretty much every Brazilian team right now is a bunch of loan players, young promises, and has beens. Flu went from 1 point above the relegation zone in 08 and 09 to champions in 10, Vasco was 7 points from relegation in 10 and runners up in 11, and conversenly cruzeiro went from runners up in 10 to 2 points above relegation in 11.

Point being, other than Sao Paulo, Santos and Internacional, which have been consistently good throughout the decade, every other Brazilian club has been pretty much assembling teams on a year by year basis, with wildly different results each time. Even Corinthians was relegated just a few seasons ago.

By that same token, do you honestly think Mineiro are on the up and up? They've been mid- to low-table since they got promoted in 2007 and investing money/time on Forlan wouldn't greatly improve either of their situations. They have bigger problems, like the amount of goals they concede. They usually get about 50+ goals a season, so scoring hasn't been that big of an issue.