Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Vinestalk posted:

That I did not know. I didn't see him play at Inter, but I always thought he wasn't playing from that far back for Atletico Madrid. I knew Aguero led the line there.

By that same token, do you honestly think Mineiro are on the up and up? They've been mid- to low-table since they got promoted in 2007 and investing money/time on Forlan wouldn't greatly improve either of their situations. They have bigger problems, like the amount of goals they concede. They usually get about 50+ goals a season, so scoring hasn't been that big of an issue.

Other than the three aforementioned teams (Santos, Sao Paulo, Internacional), pretty much every other team has been wildly inconsistent. Does Forlan solve Atletico Mineiro's problems by himself? Certainly not, and if spending that money prevents them from getting a decent goalkeeper it might hurt. But there is also no reason this doesn't play out like Conca in Fluminense in 2010 (a team that by then had an even worse history than Atletico Mineiro) or Petkovic in Flamengo in 09.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Fair points, but even then it's a two way street. Mineiro might love the idea of having him, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'd be willing to play for them. And I'd be incredibly surprised if Mineiro were the only Brazilian (Or even South American) club willing to put in an offer for him.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
I couldn't watch the game but thank god Boca scored in the end!

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
loving Tanque Silva.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Silva is legitimately insane. Not in a metaphorical "holy poo poo, he scored another late goal," way. In a "holy poo poo, this guy belongs in a mental institution," way.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

What makes you say that?

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I sat and laughed at that gif for a good couple of minutes. His face is just the most ridiculously animated thing in the world.

For those that missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5c0N0cu-cY

And yes, he does headbutt the corner flag.

Addendum: Eder Luis is a terrible, terrible player.

Vinestalk fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 24, 2012

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Im glad Santiago Silva is getting a chance again. He really didn't fit in with Fiorentina's system at all. You can tell he missed playing in that video, even if it is in an insane way.

About Forlan, does he play as a sort-of-midfielder for Uruguay? He was definitely being deployed as a top line forward for Inter. Maybe that's why it wasn't working.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Vinestalk posted:

I sat and laughed at that gif for a good couple of minutes. His face is just the most ridiculously animated thing in the world.

For those that missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5c0N0cu-cY

And yes, he does headbutt the corner flag.

Addendum: Eder Luis is a terrible, terrible player.

hahahah that goal is great!

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Corinthians manager, Tite, just sent to the stands by the match official. This all brazil tie is cagey to say the least.

Edit: And Corinthians gifted Diego Souza a straightforward 1-on-1, only to go wide of the post.

Vinestalk fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 24, 2012

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

GravityDaemon posted:

About Forlan, does he play as a sort-of-midfielder for Uruguay? He was definitely being deployed as a top line forward for Inter. Maybe that's why it wasn't working.

Uruguay's shape is a little odd, when everyone is available it looks like this:

When attacking Álvaro Pereira plays on the left of Forlán in a 4-2-3-1 and when defending Cavani is our right midfielder in a 4-4-1-1 with a very deep defense.

Forlán plays behind Suárez most of the time but often drops deeper to get the ball because our midfielders can't make a good pass to save their lives.

The bad thing is Cavani is wasted in this formation and he doesn't like playing like this but it's worked in the past, so Tabárez won't change it. That man doesn't like change.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Are we gonna get an all brazilian or an all argentine semi?

hello i am phone fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 24, 2012

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Would have been interesting to see what would have happened to their formation if Joaquin Boghossian continued his development. Looked amazing for half a season in Argentina.

Corinthians advance. Paulinho headed in a late corner kick. Sad times, but it was the expected result.

Edit: My guess is Santos and La U to advance tomorrow. Velez @ Santos is the early game (7PM EDT) and Libertad @ Universidad is the late game (9:30PM EDT).

Vinestalk fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 24, 2012

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Vinestalk posted:

Would have interesting to see what would have happened to their formation if Joaquin Boghossian continued his development. Looked amazing for half a season in Argentina.

Corinthians advance. Paulinho headed in a late corner kick. Sad times, but it was the expected result.

Yeah, Boghossian looked amazing when he played in Argentina then went to Austria and now he's back in Uruguay making a ton of money and not playing because he is poo poo.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Wasn't really sure where to post this, but huge-ish news on ESPN Deportes by Jorge Ramos, people posting on twitter:

Jorge Ramos of ESPN Deportes confirms Copa PanAmerica with CONCACAF and CONMEBOL teams in 2016 to be played in USA, instead of the regular Copa America format.

IMO it should be permanently this way (except rotate which country it's held in).

Been waiting for this a long time!

Edit2: Found the tweet in Spanish, it's definitely national teams and not a club competition. Cool.

NattyBo fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 24, 2012

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
That is cool. Who knows where I'll live by then, but if I'm still in Miami I'll get some good games.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Polidoro posted:

Because Gremio.

You don't know how much it warms my heart to read this.

So, anyway. If for some reason you don't wanna watch Libertadores matches, there's going to be a very, very boring game between Grêmio and Bahia for the Copa do Brasil quarterfinals - 9pm GMT -3:00. Grêmio is up 2x1 and plays this game home, so there shouldn't be many surprises, although my fuckin' team loves to break down in spectacular fashion, so who knows. If we go through, we play Palmeiras in the semifinals, facing Big Phil, one of the best coaches we've ever had. That would be a classic match, actually, since Grêmio and Palmeiras had some insane games in the 90s, like these Libertadores quarterfinals with Palmeiras almost making up a 5-0 deficit from the first game.

Also, we hired Fábio Aurélio of Liverpool fame. Our leftbacks suck, so that's fine, but dude is made out of glass and is quite old so I don't really get it. Most of Grêmio's recent acquisitions are old and/or easily breakable players too - Zé Roberto, Gilberto Silva, Souza - and there's no decent defenders in the whole goddamn team. Meh.

EDIT: vvv He's currently out with a broken ankle, after playing about 15 matches for Grêmio. He was a starter in most of those matches, though, and played quite decently - nine goals, even if they were against horrible stateside teams. The crappy thing is that he's supposed to be out until July.

Dias fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 24, 2012

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Dias posted:

So, anyway. If for some reason you don't wanna watch Libertadores matches, there's going to be a very, very boring game between Grêmio and Bahia for the Copa do Brasil quarterfinals - 9pm GMT -3:00. Grêmio is up 2x1 and plays this game home, so there shouldn't be many surprises, although my fuckin' team loves to break down in spectacular fashion, so who knows. If we go through, we play Palmeiras in the semifinals, facing Big Phil, one of the best coaches we've ever had. That would be a classic match, actually, since Grêmio and Palmeiras had some insane games in the 90s, like these Libertadores quarterfinals with Palmeiras almost making up a 5-0 deficit from the first game.

Does Kleber play at all for you guys? I remember he had a thing with Scolari at Palmeiras that made him get the hell out last year. I haven't heard a thing from him since, I basically forgot about him until you mentioned this match, looked it up and now he's on Gremio.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

NattyBo posted:

Wasn't really sure where to post this, but huge-ish news on ESPN Deportes by Jorge Ramos, people posting on twitter:

Jorge Ramos of ESPN Deportes confirms Copa PanAmerica with CONCACAF and CONMEBOL teams in 2016 to be played in USA, instead of the regular Copa America format.

IMO it should be permanently this way (except rotate which country it's held in).

Been waiting for this a long time!

Edit2: Found the tweet in Spanish, it's definitely national teams and not a club competition. Cool.

This sounds awesome, it's going to be a mini world cup beween 2014 and 2018.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Dias posted:

:hfive:
The only football shirt I own is a Gremio one my uncle got me in Brazil when I was a kid.

I don't follow the matches because Brazilian football coverage is poo poo in Uruguay but ESPN is supposed to start paying more attention to it now that they lost Serie A and most EPL matches to Fox Sports.

That Copa PanAmerica sounds great, can't wait to play against some tiny island. How many national teams are supposed to participate?

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Going to be 16 total. 10 from CONMEBOL with 6 from CONCACAF. Don't think Caribbean teams will be invited. My guess is it will be Canada, US, Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, and Costa Rica. Who gets invited to PanAmerica will probably be based on commercial potential (based on what the CONCACAF president said in February).

Edit: The weird thing might be one of the Central American teams gets bumped for Japan. I don't really get it, but they've been invited to a couple Copa Americas before and they've already been invited to 2016.

Vinestalk fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 25, 2012

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Vinestalk posted:

Going to be 16 total. 10 from CONMEBOL with 6 from CONCACAF. Don't think Caribbean teams will be invited. My guess is it will be Canada, US, Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, and Costa Rica. Who gets invited to PanAmerica will probably be based on commercial potential (based on what the CONCACAF president said in February).

Edit: The weird thing might be one of the Central American teams gets bumped for Japan. I don't really get it, but they've been invited to a couple Copa Americas before and they've already been invited to 2016.

There is always a special guest team in Copa America. Tradition. The US was once, but they sent down a scrub roster and havent been invited since.

That's a great format for the tournament though, like it.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Straight red for Velez's goalkeeper for impeding Neymar. Cue Santos goal storm.

Edit: Eating my own words. Velez keeping some good shape. Audacious kick from just inside Santos' half almost caught the Santos keeper sleeping.

Edit 2: Santos might have been robbed of a penalty there. Looked like he tackled Renteria's plant foot. But German Montoya is playing an amazing game... Until Alan Kardec placed that shot perfectly :stare: 1-0 Santos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APr2k9NuRME

Vinestalk fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 25, 2012

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Did not expect either of those games to go to penalties. Feel kind of bad for both losers, because they fought real hard in their second leg games.

Boca v. La U
Corinthians v. Santos

Think Boca can pull off #7?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Muñoz (Libertad's keeper) has to be the worst showing in a PK shootout I have ever seen. I hope Boca doesn't win the copa again, just give it to Neymar so he can choke on it.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
I think the champion will be the winner of the Boca - U semifinal.
Santos lost Ganso for at least a month and he's the real star of the team.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Really don't want Neymar to win it. Got nothing against Santos, but Neymar is just such a petulant tit.

Dias posted:

Grêmio

Was a scrappy as hell game, but Gremio came out on top! Palmeiras game will be interesting, for sure. Kind of expect Sao Paulo in the final. They're looking at Copa do Brasil as their ticket into Libertadores next year, unless they get lucky on a signing or two before the Euro deadline.

It must be scary as poo poo knowing Gilberto Silva is lining up as a CB in your defense. The guy barely had legs to run with when he left Arsenal 4 years ago.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

getting closer to what I've predicted (la u vs santos final)

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Russia - Uruguay playing right now

1 Nestor Fernando Muslera A
2 Diego Lugano DF
16 Maximiliano Victorio Paez Pereira DF
3 Diego Godín DF
22 Martin Caceres DF
15 Diego Pérez V
11 Álvaro Pereira V
17 Egidio Arevalo Rios V
10 Diego Forlán DEL
21 Edinson Cavani DEL
9 Luis Suárez DEL

So exactly the formation Polidoro showed us the other day. Can't watch right now but it should be good even though it's just a useless friendly.

Later tonight Costa Rica - Guatemala where you can watch future promise Joel Campbell tear poo poo up and also wonder at the fact that the oval office Pescadito still plays for Guate.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

I'm at work and can't watch the game :(.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Well, the first half ended 0-0. Suarez, Cavani and Caceres missed their chances. Arshavin wanted a penalty but it wasn't given.

Uruguay had the better chances but couldn't score. Tabarez still thinks Cavani should play as a right midfielder and that Forlan is the same guy who played the WC.

Its 1-1 now. Suarez scored for Uruguay and someone scored for Russia. Caceres got a yellow for arguing it was offside.

Polidoro fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 25, 2012

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Vinestalk posted:

It must be scary as poo poo knowing Gilberto Silva is lining up as a CB in your defense. The guy barely had legs to run with when he left Arsenal 4 years ago.

Nah, what's truly scary is when you realize that even with no legs, he's still the best CB you can field. Grêmio's defense sucks.

I'm betting on La U to win the Libertadores, it's a pretty strong team that has momentum behind them and the capacity to reverse bad results. Actually, I'm fine with any team but Corinthians winning it, I don't think my mind could take a Corinthians - Chelsea match in the Club World Cup.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
For those with ESPN3, it looks like they have started showing one Brazilian match per week. Tomorrow is Flamengo against Internacional.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

trem_two posted:

For those with ESPN3, it looks like they have started showing one Brazilian match per week. Tomorrow is Flamengo against Internacional.

Thats cool thanks for posting.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

trem_two posted:

Great! When the lovely Uruguayan league ends I get ESPN3 for free until it starts over. I hope it never comes back.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Well, not a lot of exciting matches in the Brasileirão this week. Inter x Flamengo was entertaining in a "god defense where are you" sense, but most teams are playing B-teams because of concurrent competitions/people having to play for the national team. Tomorrow we got:

Corinthians x Atlético-MG: This game should be kinda interesting. Corinthians is basically fielding their Libertadores semifinalist team and Atlético, aka the Galo - the Rooster or if you wanna make juvenile jokes, the Cock - is one of those teams that usually start off strong before their inevitable decline in the championship. So in paper it should be a decent match.

Coritiba x Botafogo: Coritiba has a pretty strong team. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they made it to finals for the Copa do Brasil. Botafogo...well, doesn't. But they define what we - and probably the rest of South America - call "paraguayan horses" - they look strong when the race starts, but slow down and don't actually win anything. Yet again, this should be a decent match.

Grêmio x Palmeiras: Other than Inter x Flamengo, this is the only actually interesting game this round, and a preview for the Copa do Brasil semis. No B-squads as far as I know, the only people out are injured players, and Palmeiras gets to play Valdívia, who's out for the first tie in the CdB after receiving his third yellow card.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Hey Dias, I heard last friday that Peñarol defender Alejandro González might be joining Grêmio next season. Have you heard anything about it?

He's young and a pretty good defender. He is training with the U-23 group of players who could go to the Olympics this year.

K-Flow
Nov 20, 2004

Dias posted:

Corinthians x Atlético-MG:

I'm watching this game right now and am completely confused at Mancini being on the field. Wasn't he just sent to prison in November last year? I cannot find a single thing on google about him being released. Somebody please help me figure this out before my head explodes

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

K-Flow posted:

I'm watching this game right now and am completely confused at Mancini being on the field. Wasn't he just sent to prison in November last year? I cannot find a single thing on google about him being released. Somebody please help me figure this out before my head explodes

I can't find anything either, it's probably stuck in legal hell and the guy got an habeas corpus to be able to play.

Polidoro: last year there were talks of the guy coming to Grêmio, I haven't heard anything this year yet. It'd be an welcome addition to our fragile as all hell defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Costa Rican second division has a champion and it's Uruguay de Coronado. I am really happy about this and will make proper effortposts here and in the pronoted teams thread when I get back to my laptop.

In other news we beat Guate 3-2. Couldnt watch but I gathered that we were quite poor, the cubt fish scored twice and Campbell owned.