Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Just to catch up people on the imminent demise of Cruzeiro:

After registering a loss of over 300 million reais in 2019, in the first five months alone of this year Cruzeiro had a deficit of 259 million reais. That is to go along with the 13th place in the serie B championship a quarter of the way in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

joepinetree posted:

Just to catch up people on the imminent demise of Cruzeiro:

After registering a loss of over 300 million reais in 2019, in the first five months alone of this year Cruzeiro had a deficit of 259 million reais. That is to go along with the 13th place in the serie B championship a quarter of the way in.

Jfc

So they are definitely going bankrupt then. Is there any chance some rich guy swoops in to buy them?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Who knows. This is literally unprecedented. Brazilian clubs are generally heavily in debt to the government and because of lawsuits, but cruzeiro has managed to accrue what most teams have accumulated over decades in the span of two years. Maybe they'll declare bankruptcy and start over. Maybe they'll do some trickery to spin off the debts onto some fake team.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Maybe they'll change their name to Real and start over.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

hello i am phone posted:

nice

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

hello i am phone posted:

hahahahaha

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

hello i am phone posted:

:thurman:

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
The Libertadores is back! I expect some lovely games and a lot of injuries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCVCzyj2QQQ

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
god drat that del valle flamengo game.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
I was so wrong, we had some pretty tasty games so far.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Atletico tried to sign Cavani for 14 million euros for 3 years, tax free. He turned them down...

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Boca tried to sign him too but he turned down the 3 empanadas and half choripan they were able to afford.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It's hard to know what he's thinking. Reportedly he turned down 9 million a year from Benfica.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
he's coming to Grêmio so he can take care of his horses

te gusta el caballo?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Dias posted:

he's coming to Grêmio so he can take care of his horses

te gusta el caballo?

Who needs Cavani when you have Keno?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

joepinetree posted:

Who needs Cavani when you have Keno?

Fair enough. Grêmio is in real bad shape, that's what happens when you see a club being relegated amidst locker room troubles and terrible play, but you go "you know what would be a good idea? Hire all the players in that team".

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
In other news, the mess that is the Brazilian league is at it again.

Flamengo was one of the main teams to push for the games to return. They were also pushing hard for having fans back in the stands, wanting it as early as next week. When they went to Ecuador to play del valle, they took a bunch of guests, posted a bunch of pictures, no social distancing, no masks etc.

So a bunch of their players got covid. Now, previously CBF had made teams play and simply not play the infected players. So flamengo went all out to get their game postponed. As of right now it is back on, but a new court decision could change things again.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
It's the perfect reap what you sow moment. I genuinely think them pushing for fans is indicative of an underlying financial problem. All of these clubs are so tenuously balancing on a knife's edge. CBF had every opportunity to make reforms repeatedly and they've done nothing. There have been plenty of examples prior to Cruzeiro. Hell, Flamengo's past with ISL was only 8 years ago.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
In cruzeiro death watch update, today was potentially the decisive day that sealed cruzeiro's fate. No, not the fact that cruzeiro lost at home to sampaio correa and is deep in the relegation zone for serie C.

Today was the day of the trial at PROFUT.

PROFUT is a program by the Brazilian government to help clubs pay their debt to the federal government. Clubs start making periodic payments and in exchange for that the interest and the penalties for their debt get reduced a ridiculous amount. Cruzeiro stopped paying in 2017. So they were removed from it, appealed, and today was the final decision, which cannot be appealed. So now they are on the books to pay a little over 300 million reais to the government, right away, with penalties and interest accruing.

Of course, this being Brazil there is always the chance of some political intervention. But absent that, there seems to be no way for Cruzeiro to climb out from under it. They won the Brazilian league in 13 and 14, and the Brazilian cup in 17 and 18, and are in serious danger of being in the 3rd division next year, and have all their assets confiscated.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Atlético on the verge of signing Matias Zaracho from racing

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Diario Olé puts it as a done deal.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
So Cruzeiro is 19th out of 20 in the second division. They fired their coach. So they tried to hire the coach from America, and were rejected. Then the coach from Chapecoense, and were rejected. Then the coach from Cuiaba, and were rejected. After a couple more rejections they found their coach: Felipao. I don't know who should be sadder here, cruzeiro for only managing to hire felipao, or felipao for only managing to end up at cruzeiro.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

You think they’ll make it to the end of the season? With their whole situation I’m surprised they were able to hire anyone at all.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

joepinetree posted:

So Cruzeiro is 19th out of 20 in the second division. They fired their coach. So they tried to hire the coach from America, and were rejected. Then the coach from Chapecoense, and were rejected. Then the coach from Cuiaba, and were rejected. After a couple more rejections they found their coach: Felipao. I don't know who should be sadder here, cruzeiro for only managing to hire felipao, or felipao for only managing to end up at cruzeiro.

Always found it intriguing that in Brazil they call him Filipão and in Portugal Scolari.

Anyways, this post reminded me that he existed and I went to see what teams he's been managing:

That's... quite the career.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

You think they’ll make it to the end of the season? With their whole situation I’m surprised they were able to hire anyone at all.

It will depend on the current FIFA cases. They have to pay what they owe to Union Florida until next week or they will be barred from signing anyone for 3 seasons. If that happens, I can't imagine how they'd ever come back.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I guess this is the right thread for this: Why the hell did Andre-Pierre Grignac move to Tigres? He came off a pretty good season in France only to bugger off to Mexico. Its not like he was trying to resuscitate a dying career or looking for a retirement league to finish out in *cough MLS cough*. He was in his prime and could have gotten a move to anywhere, I assume a lot of European teams could have paid more than Tigres

He scores all the goals in Mexico so it clearly worked out but its still weird

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
https://www.eurosport.com/football/gignac-threatens-to-sue-burger-king-over-fat-jibe_sto4714127/story.shtml

quote:

However, despite having represented France on 17 occasions and scoring four times, there has been at times a question mark over the player’s physical conditioning and general fitness.

So much so that arch-rivals PSG have a ditty that goes along the lines of "a Big Mac for Gignac".

Perhaps spotting a unique marketing opportunity, McDonalds’ – purveyors of said Big Mac – rivals Burger King decided to place the following advert in local papers in the Marseille region.

For those who aren’t bi-lingual, the tweet translates as “A Whopper for Gignac” – never mind that the jibe does not rhyme, as Burger King happily admit themselves with the tag “We've never been good at rhyming. Our thing is the burger.”

He was also getting it in the press too. Money + getting out of a high pressure gig was perfect for him.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
A lot of the top Latin American teams can probably match Euro salaries for the later stage minor stars. Only reason it's not common is probably more of prestige rather than money.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Covid spreading like wildfire through Brazilian teams right now, to the point where Palmeiras has only 1 goal keeper who has not tested positive for it so now he is being kept in isolation from EVERYBODY because if he gets sick they'd have to improvise someone as a goalkeeper.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Maradona just died of a heart attack

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
loving 2020

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

He’s railing lines and hookers in heaven now. RIP.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
RIP Alejandro Sabella
https://www.ole.com.ar/informacion-general/sabella-murio-alejandro_0_p-cJFNuIu.html

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
https://www.tycsports.com/curiosida...3-id311476.html

:bisonyes:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
In Cruzeiro death watch news, felipao probably saved them from relegation to serie c, but they are probably staying put in serie b, as they are 11 th with 7 games to go. They'd need to win all seven and hope for a bunch of specific results to move up at this point.

This is the third time that one of the big teams didn't immediately bounce back after relegation. The first was Grêmio in 92 and the second was flu in the late 90s. With both flu and Grêmio cbf changed the rules to promote them anyways. Let's see what happens this time.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Pinares providing the assist for Churin in Grêmio‘s match is making me feel all nostalgic. It’s nice to see them together again :unsmith:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Atletico has signed Hulk. Signing has beens has been a mixed bag for Atletico, with Ronaldinho being great but Robinho not so much. Let's see what happens here.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Nacho Fernandez (the argentinean one) has made his debut, and in 3 games he has participated in all 6 goals atletico has scored. 3 goals, 2 assists, suffered the penalty for the other one.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Don't know how many people still read this thread, but Libertadores draw was today:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Some really tasty groups specially the A.