Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

dj_pain posted:

Sunday La U vs Colo-Colo at el estadio national :D
:D I hope they continue their streak :D

:(
Colo-Colo lost 4 - 0 to la U
:(

I think I am going to stay home from work today and cry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
One year ago this happened
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK4B-p7mqBs

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

hecko posted:

One year ago this happened

lol what a legend, this is still hilarious even a year later and having watched it a million times

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
hahaha that is priceless (and going to be me when I turn 65)

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

When I'm 65 If I die of football related heart failure I will die happy

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(
Unless if what caused it is your team being relegated.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

As a person who can understand very little of spanish I love this video.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
New Brazilian stalwart Romarinho doing it big in the Libertadores final

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Thank god there isn't away goal rule in the final.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Weaponized Cum posted:

New Brazilian stalwart Romarinho doing it big in the Libertadores final

Goddamnit, I'm pissed about that. Whoever doesn't support Corinthians in Brazil is behind Boca on this one and that goal out of a guy that's pretty much no one as of now leaves a sour taste in our mouth. :-(

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

This flew past the stadium last sunday. It was La U vs Colo-colo.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

dj_pain posted:

This flew past the stadium last sunday. It was La U vs Colo-colo.

Lol that's awesome, that made me remember one time in a Racing - Independiente

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypNBP71TgCE

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This is awesome. I wish my grandma were as passionate about football like this lady.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLoBXWedzzs

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
I watched the last 10-12 mins of the game last night and enjoyed the last minish goal by the brazilian team. I been trying to get into the Brazilian game since one of my friends live there and support Coritiba whom I am trying to support. Whats are the normal time games are played?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

I have seen games at around 4pm EST. It's always good to check livesoccertv.com for listings.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

Weaponized Cum posted:

I have seen games at around 4pm EST. It's always good to check livesoccertv.com for listings.

Will do thanks.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
To be more precise, games are played on weekends, usually at 4pm and 6:30pm GMT -3:00, so do the math for your timezone. After Libertadores is over, there will be matches on Wednesday and Thursday too, at 7:30pm, 8:30pm, 9pm and 9:45pm, since teams need to catch up on games postponed because of the cups.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

Ok thanks, thats like 3 hours ahead of me I think (Chicago is GMT -6). So the times should like 1/3:30 pm for me.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I'm from the United States, but I lived in Buenos Aires for a while and Atlanta are my team. They were relegated to the third division a couple weeks ago, unfortunately. The Argentine league system's complicated, at least for my feeble Yankee mind, with the three-season rolling averages and a bunch of promotion/relegation playoffs across the entire system.

Atlanta's bitter rivals Chacarita Juniors, who were docked a point by the AFA when their fans were quite charmingly caught singing in their home match against Atlanta that they wanted to "kill the Jews to make soap" (Atlanta has a traditionally Jewish fanbase), finished a place or two above Atlanta, and they had to play in one of these two leg promotion-relegation playoffs against Nueva Chicago of the third division. Chicago won the first leg 1-0 at home, and they needed a tie in the second leg away to get promoted as a tie in aggregate favors the team in the higher division.

Get hosed, Chaca.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Holy poo poo that owns and it was quite a good save too. You couldn't write such drama O_O

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

That is awesome

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Football is the stage of some ridiculous moments, that's why it's so awesome to watch. Like defending a penalty while down four players and afterwards scoring on a crazy run thru the field to win a promotion game by 1-0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9eiMu-D78Y

Also, Botafogo hiring Seedorf. That's also quite ridiculous.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Dias posted:

Also, Botafogo hiring Seedorf. That's also quite ridiculous.

Is this actually happening? I haven't read anything official yet.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Yeah. Botafogo went all out for their website: http://www.botafogo.com.br/

loving love South American football. Nice post, man.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

GravityDaemon posted:

Is this actually happening? I haven't read anything official yet.

Yep. Confirmed by Botafogo a couple hours ago. It's gonna be great when Seedorf commits suicide after having all his good passes and plays wasted by Botafogo's stupid strikers.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Vinestalk posted:

Yeah. Botafogo went all out for their website: http://www.botafogo.com.br/

Dias posted:

Yep. Confirmed by Botafogo a couple hours ago. It's gonna be great when Seedorf commits suicide after having all his good passes and plays wasted by Botafogo's stupid strikers.

Ah that's great, thanks.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Dias posted:

It's gonna be great when Seedorf commits suicide after having all his good passes and plays wasted by Botafogo's stupid strikers.

It is depressing how poo poo a team he's walking into. But at least he'll be living in Rio?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Wasn't that Anderson's last game with Gremio? Did he go to Porto right after that?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Drogadon posted:

Wasn't that Anderson's last game with Gremio? Did he go to Porto right after that?

Yep, we were pretty much forced to sell him because the team was broke. He basically went out as an instant legend, tho.

Oh, did I say broke? Nice segue to my new segment: "gently caress MY STUPID LIFE AND TEAM". On today's gently caress MY STUPID LIFE AND TEAM, Fábio Aurélio, who was recently hired by Grêmio and about to make his debut appearance playing for the team this very Sunday, injured himself in training today and could spend up to six loving goddamn months out. gently caress.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Just a little question/discussion point from someone who doesn't really know a whole lot at all about the history of the game in South America:

Managers seem to get fired and float around from team to team much more often than I'm used to in European soccer and American sports. Atlanta went through four different managers in their B Nacional season. Some article I just read says that five other teams in their division, including Chaca, also went through four different managers. Chaca's current manager - well, watch this space, he may not be too current soon - has previously managed Atlanta in two different stints. Looking at the Wiki pages of top Brazilian/Argentinian managers shows me the same trend: those guys have all been everywhere!

How much control does the average manager at the average club have over transfer policy? I'd assume "very little," that it's mostly down to the president/the board if their average lifespan is so short. Managers in England are expected to try to build a team in their image; I can't imagine that could have been expected out of Chaca or Atlanta's third or fourth manager of 2011-2012. Does the role focus more heavily on tactics, motivation, and short-term results? Where do the divergences in the role of "manager" between European soccer and South American soccer come from?

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 2, 2012

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
That Chacarita video is fantastic.

Dias posted:

Speaking of Botafogo stupid strikers, where's Abreu heading to? I heard he was looking for a new club where he can be a starter because he wants to play the WC in 2014. I hope he gets transferred to the glue factory.

On Gremio news, I heard Aurelio got pretty badly injured at training, that guy must be cursed or something.

edit: beaten on the Fabio thing.

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.

Dias posted:

On today's gently caress MY STUPID LIFE AND TEAM, Fábio Aurélio, who was recently hired by Grêmio and about to make his debut appearance playing for the team this very Sunday, injured himself in training today and could spend up to six loving goddamn months out. gently caress.

That's So Fabio.

I believe the last time he suffered a major knee injury at Liverpool, it was from playing football with his kids. :negative:

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

bow chicka wow wow posted:

Just a little question/discussion point who doesn't really know a whole lot at all about the history of the game in South America:

Managers seem to get fired and float around from team to team much more often than I'm used to in European soccer and American sports. Atlanta went through four different managers in their B Nacional season. Some article I just read says that five other teams in their division, including Chaca, also went through four different managers. Chaca's current manager - well, watch this space, he may not be too current soon - has previously managed Atlanta in two different stints. Looking at the Wiki pages of top Brazilian/Argentinian managers shows me the same trend: those guys have all been everywhere!

How much control does the average manager at the average club have over transfer policy? I'd assume "very little," that it's mostly down to the president/the board if their average lifespan is so short. Managers in England are expected to try to build a team in their image; I can't imagine that could have been expected out of Chaca or Atlanta's third or fourth manager of 2011-2012. Does the role focus more heavily on tactics, motivation, and short-term results? Where do the divergences in the role of "manager" between European soccer and South American soccer come from?

This is a very interesting question and I don't really have a good answer for you. I do agree that maybe managers here have less control over transfers and club policies than they do in Europe and definitely everyone thinks more about short-term results. I could'nt explain exactly why the difference is so marked, maybe because clubs in the americas have considerably less money? maybe something about hot-blooded latinos/brazilians being impulsive lol.

What do you guys think?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Managers in Brazil have little control over transfers, usually they work with what they get and just suggest a couple of names or so. Felipão has actually complained about that recently in Palmeiras, that he asks for certain players and completely different ones are hired. Most of the time, they're expected to get results fast, whether it's avoiding relegation, getting a Libertadores spot or winning a cup. If they do it, they stay on and get "assigned" a new set of results to strive for. Otherwise, it's bye-bye coach.

But it's not really just up to board either: they come and go according to what the supporters think of them at the moment too. Even if they didn't do that bad, if we think they should go, they end up going. For most clubs, managers make quite convenient scapegoats sometimes - it's easier to hire a new coach than, you know, good players. Plus, it's also cheaper, which is VERY important.

One could say all of this is basically ingrained into Brazilian football culture by now. We were always more about talent than tactics, with no need for long-term planning because we spawned new stars so often, and that explains why managers are relegated to a second plane - only recently this has started to change, with an attempt by some clubs to make squads last, like São Paulo in 2005 - 2008.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
A big reason prolonged manager tenure is a part of Europe, at least in my opinion, is there's a lot more financial stability in clubs. We hear about the Portsmouths, Rangers, and Leeds of Europe, but it's still a much less economically volatile environment. If a new manager in Europe is failing, they'll be given a chance to turn it around because "maybe he just needs his signings next season..." and they can take it on the chin financially. Unless they're getting relegated or bumped out of a competition they're economically dependent on, they're still going to get that consistent revenue stream.

As Dias pointed out, though, having a socio setup over being a PLC or privately owned company means a club is really at the whims of the fans. Fan owned clubs are pretty uncommon in Europe, and there are very very few successful ones.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Victor to atletico Mg. Bmg probably had lots of off the books profits this year that needs laundering.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Gonna watch the Copa Libertadores final, it's about to start just now. :)

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Pic of the moon that just came on the screen was awesome

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Supposedly this is Riquelme's last match with Boca.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Orion breaking down there, feel for him. The way he hugged Riquelme as he came off the pitch made it seem like Roman's last.