Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
^^^^^Oh, cmon!
U de Chile is loving killing Deportivo Quito. 3-0 at 38 mins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

But if it ends 3-0 la U goes through on away goals, right?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

http://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regla_del_gol_de_visitante
According to that link, the U goes through.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Haha, nice rabona! Junior Fernandez is great.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Welp, 5-0 now.

Edit: make it 6.
By the way, gently caress Internacional.

Polidoro fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 11, 2012

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

I have to say, if Dep. Quito were an Uruguayan team, this match would end in a huge fist fight.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Because Gremio.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

I just saw a Neymar vs Bolivar comp, and I hope Neymar slips in the shower and breaks every bone in his body. Doing all kinds of tricks when you are winning 6-0 is a lovely thing to do.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Weaponized Cum posted:

Would love to see him play against and Argie team and physically abused by some dude that looks like Cata Diaz' younger, mentally slower brother.

In last year finals against Penarol he didn't pull any fancy poo poo. In fact, he went studs up against a Penarol player and injured him. He didn't do poo poo in Copa America either iirc.

Sadly, with the current refereeing situation in South America, the only team who could gently caress Neymar up and not get every player expelled is Boca, and I'd rather see Neymar being an idiot than Boca winning something.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

No idea, maybe some Mexican channel. But Mexicans don't really care about the Libertadores so I dunno.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Argentinean announcers only know about their teams and make a lot of stuff up about the rivals. They are so biased that a lot of people started complaining and now when Chilean teams play, the announcers are from Chile. Uruguayan people complained too but nobody cared :smith:

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Why would Botafogo want a leader when they have Loco Abreuhahahahahaha. Seriously somebody please kill Abreu.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

I'm sure those sandwiches smell like poo poo.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Uruguay's clasico was played yesterday, it was pretty awesome in a lovely way. The pitch was bad and the rain didn't help with that. Peñarol played better but they are poo poo a team of bottlers who can only beat the smallest teams in the country. Nacional beat them 3-2 with ten players because an idiot was sent off.

Make that nine and a half players because Nacional's only forward at the end of the game (Porta) passed out twice because of an accidental elbow to the head and kept playing because Nacional had used all their subs.

Here are the goals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FYrGuOL8MY

You might recognize the guy scoring the victory goal for Nacional, it's Álvaro "I was the highest paid player in the world for a while when I played for Inter" Recoba he's old and slow now but he's still good at freekicks.

Of course it wouldn't be a clásico without violence, so over 50 people were arrested outside the stadium for causing trouble and a Peñarol fan was stabbed inside the stadium by one of his own. No handbags inside the field this time, sorry everyone, maybe next year.

Welp, that was it. Uruguayan football sucks rear end.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Hey, that's where José Cancela plays. I thought he was like a billion years old but turns out he's only 35. Is he still any good?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

He used to play for Peñarol, so he is well known. He kinda disappeared from my radar after he went to the MLS. Glad he's doing fine over there.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Forlan should go to Sao Paulo, at least so he can fullfill on of his promises. He has promised to play for Sao Paulo (because his father played there), for Independiente and Penarol before retiring. I don't think he'll have the time to do it all.

He should just go to Independiente and retire where he started.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

You should also consider that Forlan isn't a forward anymore, he's sort of a creative midfielder. Whoever buys him expecting him to be some sort of number nine will be greatly disappointed.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

loving Tanque Silva.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

What makes you say that?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

GravityDaemon posted:

About Forlan, does he play as a sort-of-midfielder for Uruguay? He was definitely being deployed as a top line forward for Inter. Maybe that's why it wasn't working.

Uruguay's shape is a little odd, when everyone is available it looks like this:

When attacking Álvaro Pereira plays on the left of Forlán in a 4-2-3-1 and when defending Cavani is our right midfielder in a 4-4-1-1 with a very deep defense.

Forlán plays behind Suárez most of the time but often drops deeper to get the ball because our midfielders can't make a good pass to save their lives.

The bad thing is Cavani is wasted in this formation and he doesn't like playing like this but it's worked in the past, so Tabárez won't change it. That man doesn't like change.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Vinestalk posted:

Would have interesting to see what would have happened to their formation if Joaquin Boghossian continued his development. Looked amazing for half a season in Argentina.

Corinthians advance. Paulinho headed in a late corner kick. Sad times, but it was the expected result.

Yeah, Boghossian looked amazing when he played in Argentina then went to Austria and now he's back in Uruguay making a ton of money and not playing because he is poo poo.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Dias posted:

You don't know how much it warms my heart to read this.

:hfive:
The only football shirt I own is a Gremio one my uncle got me in Brazil when I was a kid.

I don't follow the matches because Brazilian football coverage is poo poo in Uruguay but ESPN is supposed to start paying more attention to it now that they lost Serie A and most EPL matches to Fox Sports.

That Copa PanAmerica sounds great, can't wait to play against some tiny island. How many national teams are supposed to participate?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Muñoz (Libertad's keeper) has to be the worst showing in a PK shootout I have ever seen. I hope Boca doesn't win the copa again, just give it to Neymar so he can choke on it.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

I'm at work and can't watch the game :(.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Well, the first half ended 0-0. Suarez, Cavani and Caceres missed their chances. Arshavin wanted a penalty but it wasn't given.

Uruguay had the better chances but couldn't score. Tabarez still thinks Cavani should play as a right midfielder and that Forlan is the same guy who played the WC.

Its 1-1 now. Suarez scored for Uruguay and someone scored for Russia. Caceres got a yellow for arguing it was offside.

Polidoro fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 25, 2012

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

trem_two posted:

For those with ESPN3, it looks like they have started showing one Brazilian match per week. Tomorrow is Flamengo against Internacional.

Great! When the lovely Uruguayan league ends I get ESPN3 for free until it starts over. I hope it never comes back.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Hey Dias, I heard last friday that Peñarol defender Alejandro González might be joining Grêmio next season. Have you heard anything about it?

He's young and a pretty good defender. He is training with the U-23 group of players who could go to the Olympics this year.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Will there be a separate thread for the upcoming WCQ matches or we will suspend the camaraderie in this one for a couple of days?

Apparently Uruguay's formation against Venezuela could be a bit different than the one against Russia. The names are the same, though:

Watch Venezuela kick a couple of long balls and score like every time we play with three at the back. Lugano is too slow for that. At least Cavani could be playing as a number 9 instead of whatever he's been playing before.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

I'm just thankful that he's playing at all. The right wing will always belong to Maxi Pereira and the same could be said about Alvaro Pereira on the left. This selection allows to switch to a back four easily without substitutions, just move Maxi back and tell Cavani to start running everywhere and we have our usual formation.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

^^^He was already a horrible person, he played for Peñarol.

I agree with you dj_pain, Brazil are setting themselves up for failure with these friendlies, they aren't even playing against strong teams (they might play Argentina soon, though).
Speaking of National teams, if Uruguay beat Venezuela we(?) will climb to second place in that worthless FIFA ranking, the bad thing is we are having a difficult time beating Venezuela lately.

In completely different news, a ball which is supposedly the ball used in the 1950 WC final will be auctioned in Brazil on June 19. Apparently the players of the current Uruguay squad will try to buy it and donate to the FA's museum. Some local banks are also interested in buying it.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

We all miss Fat Ron... :(

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

I want Peru to do well because Markarian is a great guy. I just hope they don't do well against us.

dj_pain posted:

everyone is having problems beating Venezuela, remember copa america :(

We are currently at five games without beating them. They are our new Paraguay.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Dias posted:

Plus, it gives them more time to mature instead of going to Milan, getting caught in the nightlife and loving everything up.

I'm given to understand there is some nightlife in Brazil too. I know what you mean, though.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Boca plays mostly subs, I believe. I don't think River has players good enough to be called starters.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

That 1950 ball that was going to be auctioned was apparently stolen from a Church in Florida, Uruguay in 1980. It was the only ball all the players signed, the auction might not happen now (of course it will).

According to AS, Ronaldinho has been sacked by Flamengo for missing training. Rest in peace, Dinho.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Uruguay is winning 1-0 at halftime in the worst match I've seen in entire life, I'm not exaggerating, it's poo poo.

Forlan scored after a nice pass from Alvaro Pereira. Venezuela only cared about wasting time and haven´t produced much, It's hard to blame them ,though, the pitch is a loving disgrace, gently caress you Paul McCartney!

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Thank god it's over. The most boring game ever! We have to look at the positives, Lugano hurt his knee :)

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Venezuela has very good midfielders and forwards, the defense I don't quite like but you can't argue success.

Forlan is looking shittier and shittier and Tabarez still doesn't make a sub until it's too late (and even then it was loving Abreu). At least Eguren is getting less playing time and it's looking like he will be the first to be phased out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Argentina are destroying Ecuador.