Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

joepinetree posted:

who are reportedly also after Adriano

Wow... just... wow. But, I guess if you can't get Forlan, Adriano and Ronaldinho are the next best thing? :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
You can see the little sparkle in his eyes as he thinks about all the rum he'll be drinking. The look of a kid in a candy shop.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Libertadores are back and it's the semi we've all been waiting for: Boca vs. Universidad. 7:15PM EST at La Bombonera. Think La U has to find a way to get 2 goals here to prevent the kind of results Boca have managed to pick up.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Credit to Boca, though, they've managed to pull off some great results away from home during this campaign. La U really lucky Boca didn't score more. Highlights for the first leg of both semis, by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj9zufBjimM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBD-REkjxfY

Next legs are the 20th (Santos @ Corinthians) and the 21st (Boca @ La U) at 8:50PM EDT. The All Brazil Tie should have some sparks flying. Would not be surprised if a player got sent off.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

TyChan posted:

I thought this article listing "Seven Reasons Why Ronaldinho Won't Last Long at Atletico Mineiro" was pretty funny.

http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal/2012/6/14/seven-reasons-why-ronaldinho-wont-last-long-at-atletico-mine.html

Atletico couldn't be a bigger joke this year and yet they still managed to get the MG Cup and have had good start to this season. Can't wait for the eventual implosion. If they actually sign Adriano, it will be The Perfect Storm except the waves and thunderstorms will be bloated, overpaid Brazilian has-beens and hookers.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
From several pages back:

Vinestalk posted:

Fox Deportes is the best channel for the US. Here's a list for all other countries.

I personally like Fox Deportes.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Corinthians knocking on the door repeatedly but Santos with the only goal so far. Cagey as hell, but the ref has kept the cards in his pocket.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Yeah, no extra time. Straight to penalties if it stayed 1-1 on aggregate.

2-1 now after Corinthians scored on a free kick. Danilo totally unmarked on the back post. Santos flipping between "panic mode," and "too tired to give a gently caress mode." Corinthians in control pretty much.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
He's pretty overrated, but he's still talented as gently caress when he's actually motivated. Him and Ganso already eyeing the Olympics by the looks of it.

Rekkit posted:

The numbering on Corinthians' jersey looks like it was drawn with a sharpie.

The money that would have gone for making real kit numbers went to Adriano's hooker/booze severance package.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Boca's strikers were so terrible tonight. But massive :lol: at La U for hitting the crossbar twice.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Yeah. Botafogo went all out for their website: http://www.botafogo.com.br/

loving love South American football. Nice post, man.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Dias posted:

It's gonna be great when Seedorf commits suicide after having all his good passes and plays wasted by Botafogo's stupid strikers.

It is depressing how poo poo a team he's walking into. But at least he'll be living in Rio?

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
A big reason prolonged manager tenure is a part of Europe, at least in my opinion, is there's a lot more financial stability in clubs. We hear about the Portsmouths, Rangers, and Leeds of Europe, but it's still a much less economically volatile environment. If a new manager in Europe is failing, they'll be given a chance to turn it around because "maybe he just needs his signings next season..." and they can take it on the chin financially. Unless they're getting relegated or bumped out of a competition they're economically dependent on, they're still going to get that consistent revenue stream.

As Dias pointed out, though, having a socio setup over being a PLC or privately owned company means a club is really at the whims of the fans. Fan owned clubs are pretty uncommon in Europe, and there are very very few successful ones.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Orion breaking down there, feel for him. The way he hugged Riquelme as he came off the pitch made it seem like Roman's last.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I don't know if there's much truth in it. There's just been a lot of head butting between Riquelme and Falcioni. When they didn't win the Clausura, fingers were always going to be pointed.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Prepare for this 1-0 to be ground out in typical Corinthians fashion.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Oh wow, Boca serving it up on a silver platter for Corinthians.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Please tell me your streams picked up on that hand biting. Holy poo poo, the :lol:s are pouring out.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Well, the only consolation I can take from this is that Corinthians are still in 19th. 4 points from 6 games for the Champions of South America.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Dias posted:

I still can't believe Corinthians won. I mean, who the gently caress are we supposed to mock for not having any international titles? Fluminense? C'mon.

Can't wait for all the smug that will appear when they add a continental star to their crest. It will be ridiculously stupid.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Yeah, just read in the news about him leaving. I thought it was mainly paper talk earlier in the season about his confrontations with the club, but the signs were all there. He did look pretty lackluster and unmotivated in SP. Before he went back to Boca, he was constantly linked with a retirement tour in the MLS. Fully expect those rumors to come back.

Machado de Assis posted:

no matter how many competitions corinthians wins, I'm quite certain we'll never attain the level of smugness that são paulo supporters had when muricy was at the helm (they managed to make a corinthians supporter hate them more than palmeiras supporters, which I would have never considered possible)

This is true. To compound on what joepinetree said, I think the majority of fans outside of Rio/Sao always roll their eyes a bit when a Rio/Sao team wins.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Although it's a very minor thing, a cool little something that the CBF does is that they publish teamsheets and referee match reports on their website: Example from Sao Paulo v. Sport Recife (PDF file)

I wish more leagues (Or even FIFA) would adopt something similar, but it's understandable to see why they wouldn't do so.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Yeah. Gotta love their defense. They make a 0-0 draw interesting.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Was certainly another hectic draw in Sudamerica. Not quite as goal heavy as the other draw today, but crazy nonetheless.

Was definitely a stereotypical Santos choke-fest. Ganso and Neymar not doing themselves any favors after Libertadores or Olympics.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
You definitely get the feeling that even if he had done well at Milan, it would have been Pato 2.0 with the constant concerns of injury/fitness. His agent was doing a real lovely thing blaming Ganso's decline on Neymar and Santos.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Dias posted:

I think Fluminense has got this season on the bag. If either Grêmio or Atlético-MG won last Sunday's match, they'd still be in contention, but now...eh. But stranger things have happened and the last few years the title has been decided on a series of chokes.

F-in' Campeonato, man. If you'd told me a couple months back that Fred would be top goalscorer and the crazy rag tag team they had at Atletico Mineiro wouldn't implode, I would have had a hearty :lol:

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Here's hoping you guys beat Santos tonight. Should be an interesting game (5:30PM Eastern US time, FYI).

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Was a pretty good year in the Campeonato. As usual, the results were all over the place and there was some unexpected stuff. Highlights of the year:

- Ronaldinho's mini-revival at Mineiro, along with Bernard becoming the next big thing
- Deco, Thiago Neves, and Wellington Nem turning Fred into the best striker in the league

Here's a highlight reel of some of the good goals from this season...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40AZsqTJW34

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Will be interesting to see how he does since he hasn't managed in awhile. His Atletico Madrid side was pretty defensive.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
A pretty big black mark on CONMEBOL as a whole. They should replay the second leg at a neutral ground, but that's obviously asking too much.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Sorry for the double post.

FIFA had to come out with a statement after what happened to Tigre. They stated "no comment," with regard to what actually happened at the final but talked about Brazil 2014 instead...

quote:

"However, for the FIFA Confederations Cup and the FIFA World Cup there will be a comprehensive security concept for the stadiums in place developed by the local organising committee together with the respective authorities and reviewed by the FIFA security experts.

"The FIFA Confederations Cup will be the first football competition in Brazil to use mainly private stewards for safety and spectator services as it is already a standard procedure in many countries around the world.

"This is already a legacy as through this initiative more than 30,000 security officers will be trained and certified to work during the FIFA Confederations Cup and FIFA World Cup in Brazil. FIFA has full confidence in the security arrangements developed.''

Which is a chickenshit, albeit expected response. They should be telling CONMEBOL to get their poo poo together, but they don't want to make it some big public battle between FIFA and a confederation.

Here's another interview with Gorosito and Albil. Unbelievable stuff.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Juninho leaving Vasco for New York. Always thought he was just going to retire in Rio. Kind of sad to see him go, but it didn't look like he was enjoying himself there most of the time. He'll get a good paycheck in NY and he'll be playing with Thierry Henry, at least.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Can't wait for this.

Gremio against Liga de Quito will be an interesting qualifying game. Bolivar against Sao Paulo could be a good watch, as well.

Some new clubs in the competition, too. First time appearances for Garcilaso and Lara. First appearance for Huachipato since 1975.

Don't really expect much from Boca. Lost Riquelme, Mouche, and the loan deal on Cvitanich ran out. Several of the games from last Libertadores, they barely scraped out with wins. But maybe Bianchi can work some magic.

Really looking forward to seeing how Fluminense does this year. If Fred manages to maintain his form and that midfield stays together, hard to imagine them not going deep into the competition.

Edit: Santos finished mid-table. They didn't qualify for Libertadores this year. Palmeiras got the Copa do Brasil spot. Corinthians got in by grace of winning last years' competition. Flu and Mineiro got the automatic spots. Sao Paulo and Gremio got the qualification spots.

Vinestalk fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 21, 2012

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Brazil's youth bought into their own hype too much and, truth be told, some of them aren't really that good.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
So many Kerlons... So many Keirrisons...

Edit: I will say, though, that the quality of some of the other countries is higher. I'm liking the resurgence by Colombian football.

Vinestalk fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 19, 2013

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Having spanish speaking commentators is, like, a quarter of the fun of Libertadores. Depending on which ones they get, they are often times horribly biased or hilariously over the top (or both).

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
In "everybody saw this coming," news, Riquelme is back at Boca. Should we have a running bet on how long it'll take him to have another issue with the board/coaching staff?

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Yeah, Newell's seems like the one he'd go back to. But I don't know, it's hard to imagine him ever leaving Barcelona.

Rogerio Ceni scored number 109 today from another freekick. Best. Goalkeeper. Ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hafovUK8uSQ

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Volkerball posted:

I doubt he's going to move til 2018 when his extended contract ends. Could you imagine the price tag on a Messi transfer?

If Barcelona were to ever sell him and not let him play out the rest of whatever contract he'd retire on, they'd sell him for what would be considered a reasonable price (like when Ronaldinho went to Milan). Whether he'd live up to that price afterwards (or the expectations of "WE SIGNED MESSI") would be a different thing entirely, but I still don't think Barcelona would do that. Considering Messi's dedication and history at the club, I think it'd be pretty hypocritical and heartless of Barcelona to just phase him out by selling him in order to make way for the next La Masia superstar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Yeah, and it certainly doesn't help that police response usually escalates too quickly. They're too used to heavy handed brutality in the first place.