Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
They also lost some players from their previous squad. Cvitanich was only on loan, and now he's back in France with 13 goals in 22 league games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I think they have internal problems or something. They were playing ridiculously well awhile back.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
The Rio police are breathing a massive sigh of relief.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Someone will probably get murdered at the FlaFlu game in September. Also, if Chapecoense outplay them in August.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
He was literally good for half a season, and then he moved to Austria and he was poo poo.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Volkerball, don't you live in CO? It'll be easy to find a place showing the game live on Fox Desportes. I'll definitely be doing that for the second leg of the final on the 13th.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Dissolve CONMEBOL and CONCACAF. Make CONMACAF.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
More than anything, I think his brother is to blame.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Drogadon posted:

Copa America Centenario

This tournament will be a total poo poo show and I can't wait for it.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
The only way it could get more absurd is if the player knew he was being purchased for this purpose and was bribed himself.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
The vast majority of the Western Hemisphere will be rooting for Guatemala.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Polidoro posted:

So, there's a rumour FIFA might take CONMEBOL's 5th spot for the WC as punishment for the light sanctions against Boca.

See ya never guys, lol.

This just in: Asia has landed an extra WC spot. In unrelated news: FIFA's new corporate airways sponsor is now Fly Emirates.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Last time it was just in this thread anyway, I think.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Great post. It's crazy how little press it gets. Every breakout youth star for the past couple years has done exactly that and some of the fans of the Selecao are somehow surprised when the team fails.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
If I didn't know any better, I would have thought the fat guy in the bandana was trying to sell me grills or patio furniture.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Simone Poodoin posted:

sorry for you hecko but lol at argentina

In other news, this happened the other day at a second division match, the home narrator was saying how poo poo the referee was and the ref sent him off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO5l_sGVw54

The look on the players' faces is priceless, and the sour look on the linesman's face as the commentator leaves is hilarious.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

This has been the best year to truly appreciate the mediocrity that is the Mexican national team. The hilarious thing is they used to have some measure of talent.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
The South American leagues just have no visibility in the US. While I think the games are on par with or significantly more entertaining than most European games, no one can really compete with UEFA's marketing. Even the MLS has to try to be more European in an effort to attract American fans to watch their games. It's disgusting.

Plus, half the reason the games in South America are so amazing is because of the atmosphere in the stadium. Bringing it to a neutral location without those fans is just killing the energy of the game itself.

CONMEBOL is just making bad decision after bad decision.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
If poo poo is going wrong, they almost always sack the manager before they dump the squad. That's one of the big differences I noticed. I think a lot of that has to do with owners in Europe interacting directly with the manager, and there's more investment put into the philosophy of the manager than in the talent of the team. Supporters in Brazil know star players or a good team and value that. I think this is a big contributor to the idolization of players in Brazil and why young players in Brazil have a tendency of buying into their own hype.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
There are so many hosed up things about the sport in South America that I don't think just one thing can be blamed. Conmebol is poo poo, the domestic leagues are poo poo, the agents are poo poo, the training at youth level is poo poo, the people in control of the clubs are poo poo. It's also what makes it so electric sometimes, though. Like libertadores is loving great sometimes and that's because conmebol doesn't even remotely have its poo poo together. There's way more excitement in Brasileiro because the clubs don't have that deeply ingrained stability or financial clout that European clubs have.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Thread Title!

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
It's honestly such dogshit and the writing has been on the wall for awhile. The bigger Rio and Săo Paulo clubs have always had this sort of preferential treatment because they have such big viewership and they have so much history. Corinthians alone has gotten away with heinous poo poo between MSI and Arena Corinthians.

joe is absolutely right, though. What made campeonato brasileiro so enjoyable was a club could win the league and then get relegated next season. It was exciting and, while they didn't have really great odds of winning the league, newly promoted sides weren't always completely miserable like Derby County.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
How many years before it comes back to bite them in the rear end? I'm giving in two.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
It's the perfect reap what you sow moment. I genuinely think them pushing for fans is indicative of an underlying financial problem. All of these clubs are so tenuously balancing on a knife's edge. CBF had every opportunity to make reforms repeatedly and they've done nothing. There have been plenty of examples prior to Cruzeiro. Hell, Flamengo's past with ISL was only 8 years ago.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
https://www.eurosport.com/football/gignac-threatens-to-sue-burger-king-over-fat-jibe_sto4714127/story.shtml

quote:

However, despite having represented France on 17 occasions and scoring four times, there has been at times a question mark over the player’s physical conditioning and general fitness.

So much so that arch-rivals PSG have a ditty that goes along the lines of "a Big Mac for Gignac".

Perhaps spotting a unique marketing opportunity, McDonalds’ – purveyors of said Big Mac – rivals Burger King decided to place the following advert in local papers in the Marseille region.

For those who aren’t bi-lingual, the tweet translates as “A Whopper for Gignac” – never mind that the jibe does not rhyme, as Burger King happily admit themselves with the tag “We've never been good at rhyming. Our thing is the burger.”

He was also getting it in the press too. Money + getting out of a high pressure gig was perfect for him.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Barca are cowards. Play 7s and make a game of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
They purposely wanted to make a spectacle of it. Brazilian government gonna Brazil.