Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

This thread is to discuss awesome competitions in the Americas such as:

Copa Libertadores
Copa Sudamericana
Argentine League
Brazilian League

And whatever else comes up regarding Central and South America.

What about the Northerners?

They have their own threads and if you care you read all of them so this is a stupid question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

What is it?

quote:

The Copa Santander Libertadores de América, known simply as the Copa Libertadores is an annual international club football competition organized by CONMEBOL since 1960. It is the most prestigious club competition in South American football and one of the most watched events in the world, broadcast in 135 nations worldwide. The tournament is named in honor of the Libertadores (Portuguese and Spanish for Liberators), the main leaders of the South American wars of independence, so a literal translation of its name into English would be the "Santander Liberators of America Cup".

Who's playing?

What's going on right now?

We're on the knockout stages, halfway through the round of 16:

Why should I watch?

Because it's awesome, you usually see fantastic games and crazy stuff like seeing lovable minnows such as Ecuador's Emelec eliminating giants Flamengo by beating them 3-2 on the last matchday of the group stages. This is my favorite moment so far but this cup is full of those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saTHVZnUWhY

So come to the lands where football is still alive and continental cups are not predetermined!

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 3, 2012

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

hecko posted:

One of the greatest moments in this Libertadores
plus Bambino Pons

Ah yeah I was wrong up there, this is when Emelec went through, still, the Flamengo game is where I started liking them.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Cruz Azul are still in

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Reposting this here, even though it wasn't 100% deliberate the first Boca goal was very good looking with all the one-touch moves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGJ-bzId-I4

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

This one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SahoJCqkfdU

That first goal owns so much

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Wow, I expected U to win this. I was out and didn't have a chance to watch it but U were awesome in the other cup and I didn't imagine they would crumble now. The magic of the cup I guess...

Brandy Alexander posted:

Excellent thread Drogadon. While I'm here I'd like to point out that the top Mexican teams don't play in the Libertadores as they have to play in the CONCA-CHAMPIONS.

Thanks. Is it true that the Mexican teams don't want to play the libertadores anymore? Or maybe it was the league that doesn't want it.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Vinestalk posted:

Watch the Boca game. It'll be cool. I swear. I'll post some equally unimpressive previews for Thursday's matches tomorrow.

The first leg was brilliant, Union Española played very well at La Bombonera and showed they're no pushovers against an in-form Boca. It will definitely be awesome.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Dude you gotta crosspost that to the goals thread, awesome kick!

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

drat this trip, I knew that Boca game would own and missed it.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Like 6 different ESPNs and no football at all. America blows.

How many has Neymar scored?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Ha! so it is very likely that they were ill prepared for the altitude on the first leg.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

lol so it's safe to say that La U is still the good team that won the other cup or is Dep Quito really that bad?

Polidoro posted:

By the way, gently caress Internacional.

Why?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

dj_pain posted:

I really hope we end up with a Boca vs Emelec final after a brilliant Boca vs U semifinal and a ridiculous upset in the other semifinal Emelec vs Santos.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

poo poo, Emelec are already out, there goes my dark horse underdog :(

Boca

U

Don't care

Don't care

Boca vrs U will be awesome

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 11, 2012

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Fantastic post, thanks!

Also Brazilian ultras are insane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSez2SFqmdw

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Yeah, the instability is awesome, it also enables the ocassional small team to show up and do some damage then disappear. You guys remember Paysandu?

quote:

Paysandu Sport Club is a Brazilian football club located in Belém, Pará. Paysandu is also known as Papão da Curuzu (or simply Papão, which means Bogeyman in Portuguese) because it won several titles in the 1940s and Curuzu from the name of the street where Paysandu's stadium sits.

Paysandu is a club in Northern Brazil, having won 43 State Leagues, 1 Regional League (Copa Norte in 2002) and 3 national titles (Brazilian League Second Division in 1991 and 2001 and the Brazilian Champions' Cup in 2002).

Paysandu attracted the world's attention in 2003 after the campaign in the Copa Libertadores, beating several traditional South American teams such as Cerro Porteño and Boca Juniors (at La Bombonera).

However, they have recently fallen on hard times, suffering successive relegations in 2005 and 2006. They will play in the country's third level, Série C, in 2007.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQZuIHSX7Xg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk2r5hfcB5s

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Also in case you have absolutely nothing better to do, tonight is the first leg of the Costa Rican league Clausura final between Herediano and Santos de Guapiles.

http://www.repretel.com/envivo

Click on the "en vivo" button for channel 6. They're playing now, 18th minute 0-0

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Yeah, even on a lovely stream with hosed up colors I'm enjoying it so far.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

hecko posted:

try futbolarg.com or livetv.ru

Much better, thanks. Riquelme owns, his passing is always so precise :swoon:

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

dj_pain posted:

One thing I've realized, It sucks watching a english stream :(

EDIT: And finally boca score a goal. Also was that tevez and messi in the stands?

http://www.ustream.tv/channel-popup/asgawtgrt211

It has annoying ads if you have to reconnect but otherwise very good

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Excuse my fawning over him but every loving one of his passes is so intelligent, Riquelme is really great to watch.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Holy crap that play! too bad Schiavi's finishing was crap.

e: I was too harsh, the replay showed he did well, unlucky and the keeper was paying attention.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Lucky for Boca that Flu have been utterly toothless tonight

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

In 1993 Club Sport Herediano won their 21st Costa Rican league championship, since then they have been poo poo and/or unlucky, until saturday where by beating Santos de Guapiles 1-2 away (6-3 agg), "El Team" are champions again.

This makes me happy for two reasons, 1. Anyone but the purple cunts and 2. Heredianos are really awesome and loyal fans, they love their team like you wouldn't believe and really deserved to finally celebrate after being bitterly disappointed last tournament and losing to a dodgy ref call.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150858707494340

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Yeah, he's a key player for Herediano, I think he's even the captain sometimes. He scores good goals on a regular basis too.

It's weird, I always thought South Americans playing here were nobodies back home, that's why I didn't even ask if you knew him.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Russia - Uruguay playing right now

1 Nestor Fernando Muslera A
2 Diego Lugano DF
16 Maximiliano Victorio Paez Pereira DF
3 Diego Godín DF
22 Martin Caceres DF
15 Diego Pérez V
11 Álvaro Pereira V
17 Egidio Arevalo Rios V
10 Diego Forlán DEL
21 Edinson Cavani DEL
9 Luis Suárez DEL

So exactly the formation Polidoro showed us the other day. Can't watch right now but it should be good even though it's just a useless friendly.

Later tonight Costa Rica - Guatemala where you can watch future promise Joel Campbell tear poo poo up and also wonder at the fact that the oval office Pescadito still plays for Guate.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Costa Rican second division has a champion and it's Uruguay de Coronado. I am really happy about this and will make proper effortposts here and in the pronoted teams thread when I get back to my laptop.

In other news we beat Guate 3-2. Couldnt watch but I gathered that we were quite poor, the cubt fish scored twice and Campbell owned.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Yeah, it's like Tabares didn't even watch him play this season, his offensive contributions were great whenever he could run up the pitch.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Polidoro posted:

He used to play for Peñarol, so he is well known. He kinda disappeared from my radar after he went to the MLS. Glad he's doing fine over there.

He just joined the purple cunts, he is a horrible shameful person now (again, he already played for them before).

You can see in his eyes that there is no soul in there anymore...

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Polidoro posted:

We all miss Fat Ron... :(

Whoever doesn't miss him has no soul, and he played for two of my most hated teams so I should despise him but I think the guy is impossible to hate!

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I think Neymar was smart in staying for a while longer to mature before going to Europe, in theory.

He should be bulking up though and he hasnt done it at all, he's gonna be torn apart by any big defender in the European leagues if he doesn't bulk up quite a bit.

EDIT: I completely forgot about this new Copa Argentina thing, looks like Boca just beat Rosario Central for a place in the semis against Deportivo Merlo and the other semi is River - Racing. Are they taking it seriously or playing B-Teams?

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 31, 2012

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Meanwhile in Copa Argentina:

Boca drew 1-1 with Merlo and beat them 5-4 in penalties.

Later River drew 0-0 with Racing and then lost 5-4 in penalties.

Boca fans rejoiced, lots of images making fun of River appeared all over the internet and I thought this one was pretty funny:

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

That sucks, the whole Maracanazo incident is one of my favorite football stories. Get well Ghiggia!

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Polidoro posted:

I wouldn't say I'm a Defensor fan, I don't support anyone in particular. When I was a kid I was a Peñarol 'supporter', as in my parents bought me a kit and said I supported them. Then I started watching football and I started hating Peñarol :)

I just wanted Defensor to win it because they play better football than Nacional, that's it.

Hehe my story is pretty similar to yours, my dad and grandpa bought me Saprissa stuff but when I was old enough to understand and watch on my own I started hating them.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

It was true, it wasn't known until relatively recently when the doctors spoke up if I recal correctly. Even though he played for two of the cuntiest teams ever that I hate Fat Ronaldo can do no wrong and never has :colbert:

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

Glad to know a Frenchman scored today.

:golfclap:

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

hecko posted:

One year ago this happened

lol what a legend, this is still hilarious even a year later and having watched it a million times

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

When I'm 65 If I die of football related heart failure I will die happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Holy poo poo that owns and it was quite a good save too. You couldn't write such drama O_O