Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Wasn't that Anderson's last game with Gremio? Did he go to Porto right after that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

bow chicka wow wow posted:

Just a little question/discussion point who doesn't really know a whole lot at all about the history of the game in South America:

Managers seem to get fired and float around from team to team much more often than I'm used to in European soccer and American sports. Atlanta went through four different managers in their B Nacional season. Some article I just read says that five other teams in their division, including Chaca, also went through four different managers. Chaca's current manager - well, watch this space, he may not be too current soon - has previously managed Atlanta in two different stints. Looking at the Wiki pages of top Brazilian/Argentinian managers shows me the same trend: those guys have all been everywhere!

How much control does the average manager at the average club have over transfer policy? I'd assume "very little," that it's mostly down to the president/the board if their average lifespan is so short. Managers in England are expected to try to build a team in their image; I can't imagine that could have been expected out of Chaca or Atlanta's third or fourth manager of 2011-2012. Does the role focus more heavily on tactics, motivation, and short-term results? Where do the divergences in the role of "manager" between European soccer and South American soccer come from?

This is a very interesting question and I don't really have a good answer for you. I do agree that maybe managers here have less control over transfers and club policies than they do in Europe and definitely everyone thinks more about short-term results. I could'nt explain exactly why the difference is so marked, maybe because clubs in the americas have considerably less money? maybe something about hot-blooded latinos/brazilians being impulsive lol.

What do you guys think?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Too bad for Boca and sucks that Roman is leaving :(

I think only Brazil and MLS are going on right now and contrary to popular belief MLS is not that bad.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Dida...

http://video.repubblica.it/sport/ronaldinho-batte-dida-nel-campionato-brasiliano/100259/98638?ref=fblc

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

For Mexican league discussion and delusions of grandeur go here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393521

There's also the CONCACAF CL thread but Pumas are not in it this year:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393521

Anything crucial to know?

In the context of football we hate Mexico, the MLS dudes hate Mexico, the euros mock Mexico.

That's pretty much it :laugh:

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 16, 2012

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

So if you're bored tonight you can watch Costa Rica's main rivalry grudge match between the purple cunts Deportivo Saprissa and their arch enemys LDA. They are playing in whats is pretty much a wet carpet so it should be entertaining.

They are playing RIGHT NOW, still 0-0

http://www.teletica.com/teleticadeportes/envivo/

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I seriously can't believe how Passarella is still their president

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

Still have the extra spanish language channels and watching the Copa Sudamericana match beween Independiente and Liverpool, any special teams to watch out for in this or wait for Copa Libertadores to start?

Copa Sudamericana is always fun, in my experience, in South American cups any random match could be awesome.

Which channels do you have? If you have FSE I recommend watching the recap show they do in which they compress a bunch of matches to around 15 minutes each.

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 26, 2012

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

FSE = Fox Sports en Español so you probably get the recap games I'm talking about.

Do you get Costa Rican league games or is it CONCACAF Champion's League?

If it's the league keep an eye out for Uruguay de Coronado which I'm pissing myself off every week for hoping they don't get relegated on their first year. This team is owned by TRP legend Paulo Wanchope.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Depends on who you ask hehe, purple cunts will tell you terrible things about them.

LDA is one of the traditional "big 4" here and is one of the oldest clubs, founded in 1919. They have the biggest rivalry in the country with Saprissa and also are heated rivals of Herediano (fans and sometimes players usually brawl on this fixture).

LDA supporters are great imo because they are dedicated and don't boo their own team like some purple wearing assholes tend to do. Their ground is very nice and it feels like a big club with a small club fanbase when you're in there, not sure I'm explaining this well.

Ask with any other club their ultras are mostly criminals but in general their supporters are the second best in the country, Herediano supporters being first imo.

In the 30's their biggest club legend and stadium namesake Alejandro Morera Soto played two seasons for Barcelona scoring 63 goals in 76 appearances including one against Real Madrid legend Ricardo Zamora.

e: you can watch then right now against Real Estelí for the CCL http://www.repretel.com/envivo-6

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 27, 2012

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

That was intense as expected, Boca equalized with balls and luck but there was no good football on their side today.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

RIP Calero, that sucks.

Also haha already a red for an attempted aggression by Luis Fabiano and simulation or something by a Tigre player.

At 35 minutes this looks very much like it will end 0-0

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 6, 2012

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Since when does Sao Paulo play pointless tiki taka?

Also this will have at least one more red card, probably more.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Even though Sao Paulo didn't look like much today I think Lucas Moura will be brilliant. Too bad he's going to PSG.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

If that's accurate then gently caress Tigre forever, what a disgrace!

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Awesome post, thanks dj_pain!

That save was insane, I'll see if I can get this on TV. Any promising kids you have noticed so far?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

The UNCAF cup starts in 10 minutes, here are the fixtures:

16:00 Guatemala- Nicaragua
18:00 Honduras - El Salvador
20:00 Costa Rica - Belize

Some info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Copa_Centroamericana

If for whatever reason you want to watch poo poo teams in a poo poo cup you can tune in here http://www.repretel.com/envivo

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Thanks for reminding me, this should be fun.

e: The atmosphere looks insane as expected

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 20, 2013

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

This is gonna get violent

e: fox sports have cameras on both managers http://www.foxsportsla.com/futbol/sudamerica/argentina/torneo-de-verano/ficha.html?matchid=161357

Kinda pointless but pretty cool in a way.

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 20, 2013

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

You really shouldn't complain about the Argentine commentators. The Mexican ones are horrible beyond belief, all of them. You're lucky if you get these guys all the time.

I missed the racist chants incident, but I'm glad the ref threatened to stop the game, gently caress Sepp and his "there are other solutions" bullshit.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

No way, Bambino Pons owns and I would love to hear him sing instead of the Mexicans talking about Chicharito all the loving time, even when Man Utd aren't even playing.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Yeah Niembro is bad but nobody can be worse than the chacala boom guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr1XvFZIhAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZtoJlW7goU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

lol the chicken guy

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

That was a good goal.

Boca = :derp: right now

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I know nobody cares but I'm posting about it anyway:

Round 1 results

Nicaragua 1 - Guatemala 1 :laugh: Guate sucks
Honduras 1 - El Salvador 1
Costa Rica 1 - Belize 0 :negative:
Panama free

Round 2 today

14:00 Belize - Guatemala
16:00 El Salvador - Panama
18:00 Costa Rica - Nicaragua
Honduras free

We will probably do a "dominate and waste 20+ chances" masterclass again tonight against Nicaragua.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

He's gonna be a menace in the qualifiers, and we face them first.

Results:

Belize 0 - Guatemala 0
El Salvador 0 - Panama 0
Costa Rica 2 - Nicaragua 0

Group A

Costa Rica 6pts
Belize 2pts
Guatemala 1pt
Nicaragua 1pt

Group B

El Salvador 2pts
Honduras 1pt
Panama 1pt

Tuesday fixtures:

Belize - Nicaragua
Costa Rica - Guatemala
Honduras - Panama

Top two in each group go to the semis, third places go to the 5th place match. Why? because out of 7 teams 5 qualify to the gold cup. Would be hilarious if Guate fail to qualify again.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Reminder that the Libertadores qualifying round starts today.

Tigre - Anzoategui
Leon - Deportes Iquique

El Hefe who do you support in the Venezuelan league?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

:siren: Belize have scored a goal :siren:

Polidoro posted:

Peru was playing a 25-year-old Ecuadorian guy in the U-20 championship, apparently. This is the best tournament!

Hahaha are they gonna be kicked out? Is this a conspiracy to get Brazil back in? :tinfoil:

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

2010 :argh:

Though we didn't really deserve to go either so...

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

:siren: Belize have won a football match :siren:

Belize 2 - Nicaragua 1 and surprisingly this has been a great game and the most entertaining so far in this poo poo cup.

First ever win for Belize in the UNCAF cup.

e:Some nice goals too 00:41:30 01:54:00 and 02:01:00 if you want to watch them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnLwxqnodOg

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 23, 2013

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

That Belize team has been really good (relatively), what they lack in ability they make up in discipline.

Results:

Belize 2 - Nicaragua 1
Panama 1 - Honduras 1
Costa Rica 1 - Guatemala 1 (We are not going to the world cup if we can't beat loving Guatemala :suicide: )

Final positions:

Group A

Costa Rica 7pts
Belize 4pts
Guatemala 3pts
Nicaragua 1pt

Group B

Honduras 2pts
El Salvador 2pts
Panama 2pts

Honduras finished first on goals scored and El Salvador got second place on a coin toss.

Semifinals

Costa Rica - El Salvador
Honduras - Belize

Fifth place playoff (for the last entry into the Gold Cup)

Panama - Guatemala

Belize have qualified to the gold cup for the first time ever.

e: yes, Nicaragua made it last time by winning the 5th place game against Guatemala

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

The Club World Cup is fairly recent, before that what happened was the Intercontinental Cup which was a super cup between the winners of the European Cup and the winners of the Libertadores. Then FIFA came along and in an effort to include "emerging markets" (oil money) into it they turned it into the CWC.

Europeans don't like it because it challenges their sense of footballing superiority, they call it a "Mickey Mouse cup" so they don't have to deal with the fact that historically football dominance has been split down the middle between Europe and South America. See this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world_football_champions_clubs

I know Brazilians care a lot about this. Argentinians probably do as well. Mexicans might care too because they go every time these days.

Other people who care about it are supporters of a pack of purple cunts from a small time country, for whom losing 3-0 to Liverpool has been their greatest achievement and they won't loving shut up about it almost 10 years later. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_FIFA_Club_World_Championship

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Panama 3 - Guatemala 1
Guate fail to qualify to the Gold Cup again

Honduras 1 - Belize 0
The dream ends for Belize but it was really close

Costa Rica 1 - El Salvador 0
twobadteams.jpg

Mercifully this dire poo poo ends on Sunday

Final: Costa Rica - Honduras
Third place match: Belize - El Salvador

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

El Salvador 1 - Belize 0

El Sal take third but it was a really good show from Belize. 4 goals allowed in 5 games when a few years ago they be lucky to only allow 4 in a half.

Costa Rica 1 - Honduras 0

The best game of the tournament and a glimmer of hope for the future. Patrick Pemberton is a loving hero and shouldnt be playing in the local league for much longer.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Well done Gremio.

Anyone watch Bolivar - Sao Paulo? Looks like it was a hilarious collapse even though SP were pretty much already through.

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/687630/Live

Sin Dios posted:

Mae todavia tenes aim o ICQ?

No, ya no los uso. drogadon@gmail

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Anyone wanna watch Uruguay de Coronado beat up some purple cunts?

http://www.telenoticias7.com/envivo.php

e: 1-0 already :getin:

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 3, 2013

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Roman is a oval office but still one of my favorite players, hope he does well.

Newell's was Messi's biyhood club, right?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Anyone watching Nacional - Barcelona?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

and the first one was really good too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

What a shocking referee, Barcelona were robbed.