Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Suben posted:

It was a guy who worked not only for STARDOM but JWP too and it was found out after WAVE's show there last month. The story I remember reading (when I saw it at DVDVR) was that they found a pen-sized camera in one of the bathrooms that the talent used and traced it back to him, then Rossy worked to keep it quiet because he thought it would be damaging to joshi puroresu's reputation but Tokyo Sports blew it out into the open.

Unless that's the second incident in as many days like that...
Yeah, I'm reading the original news about it, and it was a couple days back. Still it's all at once and everything seems to just be crashing down around them.

What next? Is Natsuki part of the Yakuza? Yuzuki releases an adult video in the middle of a JWP ring?

Japanese fans are seemingly brutal when it comes to things like this, I don't think Io Shirai is going to have much of a fanbase left in Japan no matter how this goes. I don't know to what extremes Joshi fans go, but I know fans of these pop idols go into a frothing rage if there's even the chance these girls have a boyfriend.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
So I guess she was living with/in a relationship with NOSAWA too? I kind of wonder if that's what caused the rift between her and Mio given NOSAWA's a doofus juggalo who, you know, got arrested for trying to steal a goddamn taxi.

Oh god, I wonder if NOSAWA tried to turn her on to ICP...

Suben fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 25, 2012

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Suben posted:

So I guess she was living with/in a relationship with NOSAWA too? I kind of wonder if that's what caused the rift between her and Mio
Living in the spotlight for 5 years, since she turned 17. Boosted to Joshi fame when she became part of Kana's crew, just an unfortunate attraction to one of the bad guys after the Mexico trip.

She liked a bad boy, and bad boys make good girls do bad things. Or maybe she was rotten all along, who knows?

I'm actually more interested in the part of Mio's blog where it mentions a kid. I don't know a whole lot about this, but I've seen the pictures of the Shirai Sisters with a newborn. Originally I thought it was their new younger sister or something but it could be NOSAWA's kid.

Suben posted:

Oh god, I wonder if NOSAWA tried to turn her on to ICP...
The most upsetting news of all.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 25, 2012

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Not exactly new "news" but someone from Japan's compiled all the facts in his blog. He confirms that Io Shirai and NOSAWA have been dating, they live in the same residence.

Io Shirai's real name is "Masami Odate" which has been released in police reports, which means unfortunately her older sister's last name is also public now. She has been suspended indefeinately from STARDOMs and replaced by Kyoko Kimura (Who ironically, only pretends to smoke pot).

quote:

Let me clear the facts
-They returned from Mexico in Narita airport, they possessed drugs in a self-portrait which they had
-They did not admit the fact that they possess drug intentionally
-NOSAWA Rongai got suspended eternally from AJPW because he was absent the match because of drinking
-NOSAWA Rongai was arrested by stealing Taxi and suspended enternally from NJPW
-AJPW has announced that he does not blong to AJPW
-NJPW has announced that he will be absent all the match of Best of the super jr XIX 2012
-Black tiger is NOSAWA Rongai
-Io Shirai is NOSAWA Rongai's girl friend
-NOSAWA Rongai and Io Shirai are living together(cohabitation)

The reactions of wreslters
-He is my friend. He said he did not do it. I believe it.(Minoru Suzuki - Nosawa's long-time tag-team partner)
-Only thing I can do is to belive him. He is my partner.(TAKA michinoku)
-I think it is something wrong. He did not admit it. so I believe it.(Takagi Sanshiro - Owner of DDT Pro/Union)
-I appologize of what my sister did for all the fans.(Mio Shirai)

It doesn't seem that anyone's standing up for Io at all, even her older sister said it was unfortunate and she apologizes for what her sister has done to her fans.

Here's the guy's blog:
http://blog.livedoor.jp/hbkidcool/

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 25, 2012

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

God that really has to suck. NOSAWA has MiSu, TAKA and Takagi standing up for him.

Io's sister throws her to the wolves.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Suben posted:

God that really has to suck. NOSAWA has MiSu, TAKA and Takagi standing up for him.

Io's sister throws her to the wolves.
Who's going to stick up for her though? Kana? It seems like Io burned a lot of bridges. Kana wasn't the most well-liked person when Triple Tail.S formed, and although Kana rebuilt that reputation years later, Io had to have burned just as many bridges splitting from the group to join Stardom.

She left a big black eye on STARDOM, who is dealing with the spy camera scandal from a few days earlier, so I don't think she even has anyone but her sister left and that relationship was strained, according to Mio in her blog.

It's unfortunate, and the way things are adding up it's possible she's broken relationships with every good influence in her life to be with a sleezy Juggalo who's always in trouble.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Right, she's obviously not made the smartest decisions but at the same time even her own sister is pretty much turning her back on her while at least someone as stupid as NOSAWA has people (respectable people even) sticking behind him.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Suben posted:

Right, she's obviously not made the smartest decisions but at the same time even her own sister is pretty much turning her back on her while at least someone as stupid as NOSAWA has people (respectable people even) sticking behind him.
Like I said, Kana might be the only girl with a good enough status to stick up for her and mean something. I can't imagine sticking up for Io in Japan is a good idea for any Joshi, and I can't really think of any good relationships Io's had with other wrestlers since splitting with Triple Tails.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

That's my point. A guy with a long history of being an idiot (this, stealing a taxi, being a drunk in general, being a juggalo) still has people standing up for him while Io screws up once and is practically disowned by everone. It just makes me feel pretty bad for her.

Suben fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 25, 2012

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Suben posted:

That's my point. A guy with a long history of being an idiot (this, stealing a taxi, being a drunk in general, being a juggalo) still has people standing up for him while Io screws up once and is practically disowned by everone which is just kind of sad.
Welp, she has a couple of years to think about how dumb it was to abandon her sister and friends I guess.

She was a really good wrestler who could have made it pretty far in the business if she would have just been a little bit smarter about who she associated herself with.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Mio apologizing for her sister implies she's aware Io is into recreational drugs, not that Io has basically been ostracized from society. Jeez. :psyduck:

Mio and Io not being their real names is a crushing blow. Next we'll find out Sachiko and Chisako are aliases.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Bocc Kob posted:

Mio and Io not being their real names is a crushing blow. Next we'll find out Sachiko and Chisako are aliases.

Chisako and Sachiko are their real names.

Their real last names are Jumonji, though, not Kanari. :ssh:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Bocc Kob posted:

Mio apologizing for her sister implies she's aware Io is into recreational drugs, not that Io has basically been ostracized from society. Jeez. :psyduck:

I'm not sure how long she's been dating NOSAWA, but she could've left Triple Tails because of her slow decent into what we have now. I mean, if there are rumors to be stirred, Kana will start talking eventually.

Mio isn't saying anything like "I can't believe my sister would do that!" or "I believe her" so it sounds a whole lot like Mio knew her sister's been doing these things for a while.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Her slow descent into what, exactly? She was caught with some pot in a painting, which despite Japan's harsh view of the stuff does not imply she's a raging drug addict or something. While there's certainly a social stigma associated with dating Juggalos, that dude still has wrestlers sticking up for him, so it's not like that would've gotten her booted out of Triple Tails.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Bocc Kob posted:

Her slow descent into what, exactly? She was caught with some pot in a painting, which despite Japan's harsh view of the stuff does not imply she's a raging drug addict or something. While there's certainly a social stigma associated with dating Juggalos, that dude still has wrestlers sticking up for him, so it's not like that would've gotten her booted out of Triple Tails.
But isn't it true that if Io wanted to do these awful things, she'd distance herself from her closest friends and family? She doesn't even have to be doing anything but pot, but it's looked down upon in Japan heavily. It's unlike the US where you can get away with murder and people forgive and forget.

Regardless, her Japanese career is still dead, she'll have to find work in the US or Mexico from now on, because there aren't going to be many places that will accept her now.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

It's unlike the US where you can get away with murder and people forgive and forget.

Issei Sagawa killed and ate a Dutch woman in France and after he got out of jail became a minor celebrity (even writing restaurant reviews for a Japanese magazine), starred in an exploitation film and wrote books about what he did and about a series of child murders in 1997 and in general has made a living off of his notoriety.

So smoking pot is apparently worse than literally killing and eating someone as long as you didn't do it in Japan I guess.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Suben posted:

Issei Sagawa killed and ate a Dutch woman in France and after he got out of jail became a minor celebrity (even writing restaurant reviews for a Japanese magazine), starred in an exploitation film and wrote books about what he did and about a series of child murders in 1997.

So smoking pot is apparently worse than literally killing and eating someone.
:stare:

I guess there must be a level of being so cartoonishly evil and winning over people for being crazy that people are willing to forgive you for.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

:stare:

I guess there must be a level of being so cartoonishly evil and winning over people for being crazy that people are willing to forgive you for.

I mean that's obviously an exceptional case though... I think.

I hope.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Suben posted:

I mean that's obviously an exceptional case though... I think.

I hope.
Well, I remember the really dumb backlash about a manga character possibly having a boyfriend. It was huge, and people were boycotting the publisher because of it. I'm not comparing the manga-reading shut-ins to wrestling fans, but I'm sure there's some cross-over considering the kind of looks Io has.

I'm sure getting in trouble for pot is more forgivable for men than it is for women, as misogynist as that sounds. Guys have smoked pot in Japan before, and although they did come back, I don't know if I would consider working for Antonio Inoki in the modern era a crowning achievement or anything.

Io is probably blacklisted from the bigger indy promotions, and is going to be stuck in those small ones no one's ever heard of. (But not Wallaby, they have high standards!)

She'd do best to just move to Mexico or the US and continue there.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 26, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Flameingblack posted:

But isn't it true that if Io wanted to do these awful things, she'd distance herself from her closest friends and family? She doesn't even have to be doing anything but pot, but it's looked down upon in Japan heavily. It's unlike the US where you can get away with murder and people forgive and forget.

Are you basing the idea that Io's friends and family have all shunned her solely from that random guy's blog? Who also had this to say:

quote:

But befoer that, I was so surprised the fact that Io Shirai is NOSAWA Rongai's girl friend! and they are living together! Io Shirai is a beautiful wrestler. She once appeared Japanese famous TV show Ame talk. NOSAWA Rongai is 13 years older than Io Shirai. And NOSAWA Rongai is ugly. The reason why the fact that they are living together revealed is that police asked them their address. I am so jealous.

:psyduck:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I knew Japan like many Asian countries had very strict marijuana laws, but it's crazy that possessing a small amount of pot gets you in bigger legal trouble than stealing a cab.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Bocc Kob posted:

Are you basing the idea that Io's friends and family have all shunned her solely from that random guy's blog? Who also had this to say:
Well, no. The translation of Mio's blog is just fine (Which is what I had translated poorly, but it's nice to be confirmed by someone who uh, really knows Japanese).

I don't think Io was shunned, but I know if I were in her position and was getting into poo poo that wasn't acceptable, I'd not talk to my close friends or family either. Mio already said she's sorry for not being there for her sister and there were cracks in the relationship, but that could be entirely because Io wanted to get away from them, not the other way around.

DirtyDirtySheets
Oct 22, 2011
On NOSAWA being defended Io being blamed:

I talked to some friends and asked the vibe. It's actually seems like people are saying 1.) innocent till proven guilty 2.) blame NOSAWA, since Io's not been in any trouble before but he has.

They also know we Americans think this whole shunning someone for drug use thing is loving ridiculous. But so it goes.

Flameingblack posted:

But isn't it true that if Io wanted to do these awful things, she'd distance herself from her closest friends and family? She doesn't even have to be doing anything but pot, but it's looked down upon in Japan heavily.

It's looked down upon in society but that doesn't mean on a person by person basis everyone is disowning their kids over a few puffs. There's a reggae bar on every other corner in Tokyo, and a rave club next to it, FFS. Kids do drugs. Japanese people are real people not just automatons blindly following the dictates of what's considered proper on a societal level, though they like to pretend.

Anyway, it's pretty silly to try and mindread any of this. There's more than enough drama to this story without making more up.

DirtyDirtySheets fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 26, 2012

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Bocc Kob posted:

:psyduck:

Man look up the whole deal with voice actress/singer Aya Hirano and her revealing that she has a boyfriend (an older boyfriend at that) and that she really likes sex. Fans completely flipped out and did poo poo like destroyed their Haruhi merchandise (since she voiced Haruhi) and whatever because she had "betrayed them" by no longer being the pure, virginal, innocent maiden that was presented to them.

Otaku are just kind of weird in general especially the guys who get really hung up on female anime characters/moe anime/idols/whatever.

DirtyDirtySheets
Oct 22, 2011
Some Joshi are told to keep their boyfriends under wraps, but that doesn't mean fans aren't savvy. I knew about Io and NOSAWA and they were tag teaming and going to Mexico together, so I'm not sure how big of a secret it was.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, so I don't want to offend anyone or make any sweeping stereotypes about Japan. So I'm asking if these things I've apparently learned from the last page or so are accurate.

- Female entertainers in Japan can't reveal to the public that they have boyfriends or are sexual beings or else their fanbases will turn on them rabidly out of some twisted stalkerish notion that they were betrayed? And this is just like normal and accepted instead of seen as a twisted subculture like "shipping" is here in the US.

- If you're, at worst, a stupid pot dealer who dates a Juggalo in Japan you run the rusk of being blackballed from the business and shunned by friends and family?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Ok, so I don't want to offend anyone or make any sweeping stereotypes about Japan. So I'm asking if these things I've apparently learned from the last page or so are accurate.

- Female entertainers in Japan can't reveal to the public that they have boyfriends or are sexual beings or else their fanbases will turn on them rabidly out of some twisted stalkerish notion that they were betrayed? And this is just like normal and accepted instead of seen as a twisted subculture like "shipping" is here in the US.

- If you're, at worst, a stupid pot dealer who dates a Juggalo in Japan you run the rusk of being blackballed from the business and shunned by friends and family?
I wouldn't really consider "Otaku" as the norm in Japan, but typically Japanese are more reserved and private about their personal lives, in contrast to America and the UK where tabloids are some of the biggest forms of entertainment.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
That goes for anybody with a fanbase. There's always going to be a creepy obsessive minority that go crazy over stuff like that. Japan is maybe unique in that some stuff gets directly marketed to that sub-fanbase to get more money out of them.

I don't know anything about people in Japan's views on pot, but I'd imagine it varies from person to person like it would anywhere.

Flameingblack posted:

I wouldn't really consider "Otaku" as the norm in Japan, but typically Japanese are more reserved and private about their personal lives, in contrast to America and the UK where tabloids are some of the biggest forms of entertainment.

They have lots of tabloid and rumor-mongering poo poo over there too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bocc Kob posted:

That goes for anybody with a fanbase. There's always going to be a creepy obsessive minority that go crazy over stuff like that. Japan is maybe unique in that some stuff gets directly marketed to that sub-fanbase to get more money out of them.
Oh yeah, you see that stuff in US fanbases with shows that have really rabid ones like Glee or Supernatural. But those are kind of subcultures that hide a little on the internet and when people find out about it its ostracized for what it is. I was just getting the impression that it was more mainstream and overt in Japan from what you guys were saying. Maybe not fully mainstream, but not exactly hidden in the shadows and shamed either? Or am I just misreading this stuff?

I just looked up "otaku" so now I think I realize you're talking about a more specific grouping of obsessed fans. I guess I just didn't pick up on that since I'm unfamiliar with that word or world.

DirtyDirtySheets
Oct 22, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

The thing with the anime chick was a paper published photos of her post-coitus with a bandmate, and she had apparently hosed all her band mates. Not sure why this got left out of the previous post since, when you google, that's all you actually see and not much stuff about fans burning cartoons.

But she still gets work.

Joshi not talking about boyfriends (or girlfriends) is just how it's done. It's not like all the fans are going to go insane if they find out they are dating someone, but I assume they worry they'd seem less appealing. They're also told not to let people know if they smoke. And it's not like all wrestlers here are completely open about their personal lives.

quote:

If you're, at worst, a stupid pot dealer who dates a Juggalo in Japan you run the rusk of being blackballed from the business and shunned by friends and family?

From jobs in the public? Yes, it's possible. Friends and family? I doubt that.

STAC Goat posted:

Oh yeah, you see that stuff in US fanbases with shows that have really rabid ones like Glee or Supernatural. But those are kind of subcultures that hide a little on the internet and when people find out about it its ostracized for what it is. I was just getting the impression that it was more mainstream and overt in Japan from what you guys were saying. Maybe not fully mainstream, but not exactly hidden in the shadows and shamed either? Or am I just misreading this stuff?

I just looked up "otaku" so now I think I realize you're talking about a more specific grouping of obsessed fans. I guess I just didn't pick up on that since I'm unfamiliar with that word or world.

Yeah, and in the west "Otaku" culture is given a lot of press. To the point where people think every fan/person in Japan is like this. Because Japan is so weird and poo poo. That view is pretty distorted.

DirtyDirtySheets fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 26, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

DirtyDirtySheets posted:

The thing with the anime chick was a paper published photos of her post-coitus with a bandmate, and she had apparently hosed all her band mates. Not sure why this got left out of the previous post since, when you google, that's all you actually see and not much stuff about fans burning cartoons.

Actually I read the same thing last night while I was looking up voice actors and Google suggested it. It just said she revealed on a TV show she likes old guys and a bunch of enraged fans started breaking their merchandise. It didn't mention the actual scandal at all.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

As far as joshi goes I know AJW had the "no smoking, no drinking and no boys" rule although that was more (I believe) to cut out potential distractions than it was to maintain some image of purity although I suppose that probably played into it too considering AJW's fanbase at the time was mostly young/teenage girls who looked up to the wrestlers as role models.

DirtyDirtySheets
Oct 22, 2011
SLAM Article on SHIMMER: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2012/05/01/19700656.html

DMPunk
Jan 25, 2010

Not to be a dick, and being a guy I have no idea what she must be going thru, but its been like 6 months since she lost her baby. How much time do you need exactly?
Not to interrupt the Joshi stuff, but there is a nice article on SHIMMER om Slam! Sports website thats worth a read.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2012/05/01/19700656.html

Edit: Are you loving kidding me DDS?

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
On a further positive note, I'm going to the SHIMMER shows in October and even I can't believe I just typed that sentance.

DirtyDirtySheets
Oct 22, 2011
SHIMMER has sold a crazy amount of tickets already, which is rad. About loving time too. Always annoyed me that they brought in more international talent thatn any wrestling company in the world yet wouldn't sell out the building in alleged great wrestling town Chicago.

DMPunk
Jan 25, 2010

Not to be a dick, and being a guy I have no idea what she must be going thru, but its been like 6 months since she lost her baby. How much time do you need exactly?
It is amazing to see it selling so fast considering how far away it is and not a single talent has been announce yet. Although, I could probably guess 80% of the roster easily off the top of my head. Always interesting to see what newcomers get in though.

DMPunk
Jan 25, 2010

BTW, anyone know what the hell happened to Tenille Tayla? She signed a WWE deal a year ago, had some surgery, and hasn't been seen since. Have not heard a single update about her since.

DMPunk fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 26, 2012

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tenille Tayla.

I believe her surgery was supposed to put her out for a year or so. So I assume she's still rehabbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
Last time I talked to somebody, which was a few months ago, she was just finishing her rehab and was expected to get cleared in March. I imagine they won't bother having her debut until they can get their developmental poo poo taken care of.

As for why SHIMMER doesn't sell better, I think the stigma of women's wrestling is really difficult to overcome, even among Indy fans who are willing to put up with more crap.

I'm as guilty of that as anybody. I spent a fairly good portion of my semi-famous Internet Wrestling Columnist career making fun of women's wrestling for existing.

• Locked thread