Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
To be fair to FGW, their drivers never knowingly overrode the train protection systems and then nearly caused a head on smash after SPADing a signal...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

not yet anyway

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

TinTower posted:

Yet FGW still exist :v:

I cannot possibly imagine the size of the piles of cocaine that FGW have to shovel in the direction of the Department of Transport in order to keep their franchises. Connex should have paid attention.

FISHMANPET posted:

Guys why did nobody tell me Michael Portillo had come to my fair country, USA, to wax poetically about our infrastructure disasters?

I have a soft spot for Michael Portillo because on his history radio show about the pre-WWI world you would expect him to wax lyrical about a bygone age for more civilized folk, but in reality he talks about how poo poo everything was with a completely out of touch aristocratic leadership, trade unionists getting shot and anarchists throwing bombs everywhere.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

A long time ago Portaloo did one of those "clueless politician lives in real world for a short time" shows and he genuinely seemed to learn a lot from it. If he'd stayed in Parliament there's every chance a new wet Tory faction could have formed around him that would have been in a great position to hold IDS back.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

I cannot possibly imagine the size of the piles of cocaine that FGW have to shovel in the direction of the Department of Transport in order to keep their franchises. Connex should have paid attention.

It's not FGW any more, it's GWR and it's 'our railway' :downs:
(You know what was actually our railway, guys? British Rail)

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

feedmegin posted:

It's not FGW any more, it's GWR and it's 'our railway' :downs:
(You know what was actually our railway, guys? British Rail)

Well a least the livery is nicer now I guess? Brunel is still spinning in his grave though.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
They revived the name GWR, but if they were really committed to its heritage they would convert the line back to broad gauge...

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Blacknose posted:

The HSTs are all slam door same as all mk3 carriages and still run out of Paddington on the great western lines.

like HSTs would ever stop at Slough or Burnham

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Do they not? They make up all the fast services to Reading and beyond.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!

Blacknose posted:

Do they not? They make up all the fast services to Reading and beyond.

I think some of them do, I've definitely got off an HST at Slough before (I don't plan to repeat it, it's Slough).

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

TinTower posted:

Slam doors, AIUI, fail the Disability Discrimination Act and they have to be replaced by 2020.

It was originally 2004, but obviously that's been and gone.

That would mean the only rolling stock running in my area that doesn't fail that are 156s which we're being forced to share with TPE :allears:

Our slam door loco hauled MKII services are managing to fail or run severely late almost every day now, passengers love them!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

landofcake posted:

I think some of them do, I've definitely got off an HST at Slough before (I don't plan to repeat it, it's Slough).

I don't know how much it applies to the GWR but on the Midland Mainline HST sets only stop at 2 stations in between Nottingham and Leicester while the Meridian DMUs stop at 10 or so, presumably due to the fact that it's much quicker to get passengers on and off trains with automatic doors.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

(One of?) The new central London underground maps shows the cable car disconnected from the rest of the network with no interchanges. It's more accurate I suppose and really funny

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Party Boat posted:

I'm spending half my life on the ECML at the moment and still encounter the occasional slam door train, even on services going to / from London. If there's some system to avoiding them I would use it because they usually have smaller seats that my lanky legs literally cannot fit in.

VTEC run HSTs on the services that run north of Edinburgh since there's no wires up to Inverness and Aberdeen, and I think to Lincoln too.

The HST mkIII coaches are more comfortable than the Mallard mkIV coaches :colbert:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

builders on the Westfield extension have drilled down through into the central line tunnels.

although I recall after the incident a few years back with the national rail tunnel at Old St the RAIB report recommended NR adopt a load of LU's practices to stop people doing that.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Crossrail to be called the Elizabeth Line on opening

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
I'm fuckin raging, thought this was my moment.

Bob Crow or Brenda Line 4 eva

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Lizzie line sounds pretty good. Love that she doesn't (really) connect with the Victoria.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

landofcake posted:

it was exceptionally rare, most fast Intercity services to the West Country and Wales never stop at Slough, but HSTs/express services that head to Hereford/Oxford/Worcester do but I moved out of Slough years ago - I think they've put some of those 125s on the express services. There was one shining moment in 1998/9 during the early years of Virgin Trains when there was one HST service a day from Paddington to Glasgow Central which stopped at Slough

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
I think this was about five or six years ago, I can remember that I took it because it somehow worked out quicker for me to take the HST and change at Slough to get to Maidenhead rather than just taking the slow train all the way from Paddington.

As for slam door trains, I still see trains with manual doors all the time on the east coast main line, but they've got driver operated locks that only disengage when it's at the platform.

I can only recall being on one of the old style slam door trains once about 15 years ago from London to the tiny stations in Kent.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The slow services to Maidenhead take forever, it's much better to plan your journey so that you get one of the fast trains, I think they take like 18min instead of 40+

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Points failure at Stansted Mountfitchet this morning, but the Abellio Greater Anglia 'Journey Checker' had Hertford East trains as 'green', so I left the house and got to the station to find the station staff announcing that everything was cancelled (although the departure board said otherwise). Great work, you loving clowns.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

kingturnip posted:

Points failure at Stansted Mountfitchet this morning, but the Abellio Greater Anglia 'Journey Checker' had Hertford East trains as 'green', so I left the house and got to the station to find the station staff announcing that everything was cancelled (although the departure board said otherwise). Great work, you loving clowns.

More like AbellENDio amirite

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

MikeCrotch posted:

More like AbellENDio amirite

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If making trains work is too much of an ordeal at least get the information feeds right.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

I'm curious about something. Last night the train I usually get from work to home was cancelled at the station due to a conductor not turning up. Apparently from Victoria to Leatherhead the train is driver only but after that it required a conductor. Why do some parts of the route need a conductor when it was fine without one before? Is it just an excuse, did I possibly mishear? I only partly overheard the explanation as someone else had asked the driver but it seemed a bit odd to me.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Overminty posted:

I'm curious about something. Last night the train I usually get from work to home was cancelled at the station due to a conductor not turning up. Apparently from Victoria to Leatherhead the train is driver only but after that it required a conductor. Why do some parts of the route need a conductor when it was fine without one before? Is it just an excuse, did I possibly mishear? I only partly overheard the explanation as someone else had asked the driver but it seemed a bit odd to me.

Could be to do with automated ticket barriers?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Driver only operation requires platform CCTV or mirrors for them to make sure all doors are clear before moving off. Are the stations past Leatherhead just really old and not had that put in?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Cerv posted:

Driver only operation requires platform CCTV or mirrors for them to make sure all doors are clear before moving off. Are the stations past Leatherhead just really old and not had that put in?

I'll take "Franchise operator is too cheap to install them", Bob.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

MikeCrotch posted:

I'll take "Franchise operator is too cheap to install them", Bob.

The ones past Leatherhead are South West so probably. They're all pretty small until Guildford so any number of the reasons given seem plausible, cheers guys.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Seems like it would be cheaper in the long term to install them and ditch the conductor

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

pointsofdata posted:

Seems like it would be cheaper in the long term to install them and ditch the conductor

In the long term it's someone else's problem

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

landofcake posted:

As for slam door trains, I still see trains with manual doors all the time on the east coast main line, but they've got driver operated locks that only disengage when it's at the platform.

Was on the East Coast Main Line last week; I can confirm that they still have slam-door carriages, at least on the trains that between Stirling and London.

I've never been on one of the older slam-door trains: only the sort that go long distances (the ECML, I'm pretty sure the Eurostar has them but I was incredibly tired the one time I was on it and can't remember and the trains I took from Krakow to Berlin were all slam-door) which probably skews my opinion on them: the conservative part of me doesn't want them to go since I associate them with going someplace special and that getting rid of that would be bad: its totally irrational and only something that - although then again its the sort of thing that probably governs the way that a surprising amount of people think about the railway... I mean its totally irrational and I understand that and its only something that I think because we have some relatively new trains by us (its mostly 170s I think, the occasional 156 that looks and smells like its hasn't been cleaned for ten years runs but they only seem to use those on weekends and when the festival is on so they need to have longer trains: god knows what we're going to get after electrification - I only know that because half the time they don't bother to put the destination stuff on the train screens and it defaults to what type of train it is) and I'm imagine that if the older ones were the only things that you had they'd get very old, very quickly.

I guess that the main reason why they're replacing them is access-related issues?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

The world's best most boring simplest subway is getting new driverless trains:

http://news.stv.tv/west-central/1345257-driverless-trains-unveiled-for-glasgows-subway-system/

quote:

Driverless trains will be introduced on Glasgow's Subway from 2020 as part of a £288m modernisation.

Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT) announced on Friday that a £200m contract had been awarded to the Stadler Bussnang AG / Ansaldo STS Consortium for the supply of new trains and signalling across the network.

The trains will be the same size as current rolling stock but will run as four-car sets rather than the present three-car setup.

Open gangways will maximise the space available and allow for wheelchair access at St Enoch and Govan.

The system will include new platform screen doors, which SPT said will be "half height" to preserve space and openness within the stations while improving passenger safety.

While the current fleet is partially automatic, once the new full system is in place the Subway will move to fully-driverless operation.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The platform edge doors thing is good; the least safe I've ever been on public transport was waiting for a service at Kinning Park.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TinTower posted:

The platform edge doors thing is good; the least safe I've ever been on public transport was waiting for a service at Kinning Park.

Huh, really? When I lived in Glasgow that was my local clockwork orange stop, less than 5 minutes, basically just had to cross Paisley Road West & Plantation Park to get there, never once felt like it was dodgy from a safety viewpoint. Well, when Rangers were playing it was obviously unusable unless you were going the opposite way to Ibrox but otherwise it was almost always too quiet to ever really feel like any sort of danger.

I assume the talk of having a new subway line built is still the sort of rumour that comes up once every few years but is far too expensive to actually be acted upon, sort of like the road tunnel under the Caledonian Canal in Inverness or the oft talk about direct link from Queen Street & Central Stations

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

It was 10pm at night (I was going from the Holiday Inn to meet a friend near the University) and I had unmedicated OCD at the time. So yeah.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I assume the talk of having a new subway line built is still the sort of rumour that comes up once every few years but is far too expensive to actually be acted upon, sort of like the road tunnel under the Caledonian Canal in Inverness or the oft talk about direct link from Queen Street & Central Stations

It's come up a few times when tying in a new subway line makes a councillors' pet infrastructure project sound more appealing. Yet the subway extension has never appeared.

twoot fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 5, 2016

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
To contrast, here's the NY subway, which still runs on people flipping levers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjx3S3UjmnA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

coffeetable posted:

To contrast, here's the NY subway, which still runs on people flipping levers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjx3S3UjmnA

But of course, this system actually runs 24/7 as well.

• Locked thread