Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
This morning I missed my train from London to Liverpool. The price of another ticket, when I checked, was a hundred and fifty quid. A bus was thirty. gently caress trains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Gat posted:

The national rail website is not smart enough to split tickets like you have done, though it is smart enough to offer two singles if its cheaper than a return ticket.

Moneysavingexpert have recently offered the first engine (that works) which will calculate split tickets for you (standard singles only, but you can still use it for ideas for returns or advances) https://splitticket.moneysavingexpert.com

From playing with it for a few minutes, it seems that it only splits the ticket once as well. For a long journey you *might* be better off splitting it twice, I don't know.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Buy some shares then?

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Iohannes posted:

I wasn't aware that the average inflation rate of the last 5 years was 20%. At an average rate of closer to the CPI 3% it would take over 33 years for inflation alone to be the cause of the doubling in price of Freddos. And since Freddos were not available between 1979 and 1994, that's clearly not the case.

Actually at 3% it would take 24 years to double in price. But lets not quibble about actual maths.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Bozza posted:

Speaking of electrification, the first headspans are up in Reading EMU depot and the cantilever/portal structures elsewhere are starting to appear locally. Great Western electrification starts here!

In other news, I have been promoted!

Has there been a round of promotions or are you the only one? Just because a friend of mine who works for network rail also just got promoted ARE YOU HIM?

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
Can anyone tell me why air con wasn't introduced as standard on the tube as the trains were replaced? I'm talking about the jubilee and Victoria lines here mainly...

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

What about the Chelsea-Hackney line (aka the hipster express)? Is this predicted to not happen until after 2021, or not ever?

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
I was on the train home from work last night, fairly late (I believe it was the 9:10 from Farringdon to Kentish Town), and got on the front carriage. Sat down, then looked around. There were two other people in the carriage with me, one guy with his face covered - hood, bandana across his face - who looked a bit like a protestor and was acting kinda shifty, and another normal looking guy. The face-covered guy then spent the next two stops scratching his signs into the windows, and graffing all the bits of the train that weren't window. The normal guy got off at St Pancras. Train terminated at Kentish Town, where I got off and told the lady at the station exactly what had happened, who walked off to 'let the boys know'.
I felt guilty for not saying anything on the train, but I was honestly pretty scared as well as tired, and didn't like the idea of aggravating someone with no one else to witness it.

Is there any way I can find out what happened as a result? I continued going home after alerting the Customer Service lady, so didn't see any fallout.

tl;dr: I felt loving awkward for 10 mins while a guy scratched and graffed up the inside of a train in front of me. Told the authorities, then left.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Hezzy posted:

In future you can text 61016 which is the British Transport Police. You can also email 61016@btp.pnn.police.uk. They're usually pretty snappy in their response, if you let them know quick enough they quite often meet trains in and apprehend the person

They might benefit from a statement from you seeing as you've seen the guy doing it, if you're willing call 0800 40 50 40 which is the non-emergency number for their control room.

http://www.btp.police.uk/we_get_the_message/how_to_use_the_text_number.aspx

That's awesome to know. Unfortunately I've lost my phone so wouldn't have been able to do that, on the other hand if it happens again I'll be straight on it.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Cerv posted:

that was painful to read

anyway, this is pretty interesting about the cancellation of HS2-HS1 link up. but remember the paper is *very* anti HS2
http://www.camdennewjournal.com/news/2014/feb/exclusive-hs2-bosses-set-abandon-camden-town-link-stage-high-speed-rail-project

gently caress the northeners. their ability to visit europe is less important than nimbys in camden

I'm not hugely against HS2 - it's important to build infrastructure and we can't predict how behavioural patterns will change in the future, so it's best to keep ahead of the game. However, the first stage of this massive project will... reduce travel time to/from Birmingham from 1h 20m to what, 40 mins? Granted, it's the first step in a much bigger project (and the main benefits will be felt by those travelling from Scotland by train) but it still seems like a huge todo about very little.

Also, the northeners can fly to Europe. God knows, at the rate that train fares are going up, by the time HS2 is complete it'll be both faster AND cheaper to fly from Newcastle/Manchester/Leeds than it will be to get the train.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Bozza posted:

^^^^ edit - also see Cervs last bit about city to city travel, one of rails biggest selling points ^^^^

I swear they should have called this thing the "West Coast Main Line By-Pass" rather than HS2, as that basically sums up how it works for a 'non-railway' person to understand.

Well poo poo, if anyone had actually publicised that then I wouldn't have had these misconceptions for so long.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

"December 20th 2014 - January 2018, Thameslink route services will not call at London Bridge"

Oh gently caress that. I'm moving to London Bridge in Sept and work in Farringdon, and was going to take the Thameslink to work. Now I'm forced to take my life into my own hands and cycle.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Don't hold your breath:

"TFL bakerloo extension page posted:

If funding is identified, construction could start as early as 2023 (subject to the necessary powers) and the extension could open as early as 2030.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
My god I hate the british rail system.
I forgot my railcard on Saturday for a London->Nottingham jaunt. I had prebooked my ticket, so had to get the young persons ticket (£38, approx. £55ish without the rail card).
Of course, when I get near Nottingham the inspector comes around, and nicks me for not having my railcard. I got fined £130 for this - what the actual gently caress.

On the way home on Sunday morning, I had the luxury, nay the privilege, of sitting on the floor inbetween carriages because there weren't enough seats.

gently caress this country.

Also, does anyone know how I can reclaim the money for the ticket because I actually do have a railcard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Raise a fuss with the operating company would be a good start.

Though I'm wondering why you didn't just get charged the full fare...? Round here if you don't have a ticket they just make you buy one off the conductor I think?

The conductor gave me the choice of buying a super expensive ticket that apparently I can claim back (she quoted some rule that said I get to do that once, ever), or a cheaper £90 option that I could definitely not claim back.

• Locked thread