Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TinTower posted:

More Northern news: Clegg appears to have found a backbone, and is kind of getting sick of Pacers (well, aren't we all?). The idea of Pacers running until 2029 as some industry spokesmen are saying beggars belief.

Oh so that's what they're running on the Saltburn branch, are they supposed to smell perpetually like burning engine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TinTower posted:

Pretty much. Pacers are literally bus bodies welded onto train wheels.

When you say literally, do you actually mean literally? Because that was what I thought when I got into one for the first time, it looks exactly like the inside of an old bus, only bigger.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TinTower posted:

Literally literally. It's why you can see British Leyland branding on some of the parts.

Jesus...

So essentially the bus companies are retiring their buses faster than the train companies are retiring their trains made out of surplus bus parts?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Chocolate Teapot posted:

No, the buses were retired decades ago.

Oh, ok, I thought they were based on the really lovely square buses that still run one some of the lines around here, but if they're based on an even shittier bus then that's even more impressive.

On a related note those Isle of Wight trains look rather nice, can we have some of those instead?

I rather like traveling by rail on the rare occasion that I do it, it's quite cheap if you book a long way in advance, and also apparently if you book to a non-major destination after where you're going, and then get off earlier... Last time I went to Edinburgh I think it was significantly cheaper to book the train to Pitlochry and just get off at Edinburgh. Wish we could have those kinds of prices more readily available.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Sure, just go to London in the 20s, there's loads of them.

(I'm assuming you mean these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_483 -I wish they'd taken some of the old A-Stock trains when they were taken out of service, they're the comfiest trains on earth.)

Yes those, seats are a bit naff but I don't think you even get that much space in first class nowadays.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Essentially, delay minutes ensures the train runs on time, but not trying to ensure connections ensures that people don't run on time.

An empty train that departs and arrives on time is less of a failure than a full train running five minutes late. Apparently.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I know Mornington Crescent isn't a real game but I imagine people may end up playing it anyway trying to use that map.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A logical map makes more sense for a system where you don't have any control over your direction or exactly where you enter and exit.

Knowing the precise layout of the underground, and where the stations are, is less important than knowing what line you get on to go where, what happens between the stations is black box, so you don't need to model it beyond what may aid with reading comprehension.

The complete tube map is horrible but far more readable than a geographically accurate one.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 22, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because the geography is irrelevant, you can simply portray the lines as being of arbitrary length and position, and separate them entirely for the purposes of clarity.

The outer edges of the LU map are a good example, it's a single line with a series of stops, doesn't need to be any more than that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The geography is relevant if you're on the surface, but you can use a different map for that. The point of an underground map is to show you how to navigate the underground lines, to figure out what station you want to go to you would provide a different map with the stations picked out and what colour lines stop at them, you find which station you want and then look at the underground map to find how to get to it.

Trying to jam both into one map makes both less readable. I don't give a buggery how the train gets there so much as I need to know what train stops at what station.

Same reason a bus timetable doesn't have a map on it, the information would impede the readability of the timetable.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 22, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A tube map (or any other system map where you get on and off at discrete points and don't control the direction) is best modeled like a circuit diagram, which is how the LU map works, sort of.

You draw circuit diagrams in loops and squares, which usually bear zero relation to the actual physical appearance of the circuit because the specifics of the wires aren't relevant, what matters is what components are connected in what order and by which wires.

Similarly on a train map, you can't get off the train halfway between stations, so where the stations are and where the lines are doesn't matter very much. What matters is being able to figure out what connects your station to your destination station which is best accomplished by completely ignoring the geography, and showing the logical view of the network.

You need to know which station you want, so a map specifically of stations as they are positioned in the city is a good idea, but trying to use that to also show the network layout is just going to make the network harder to understand, especially given that I would imagine the majority of users already know what station they want because they know where they want to go, and need to know what train to get on to get there.

You don't generally draw network diagrams overlaid onto a blueprint of the building, because that doesn't matter, you're showing the links, not the actual physical run.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 22, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's semi-logical, you could improve its readability by getting rid of the background and the untidy arcs of line going up and down the map to fit into a rough geographical shape. As well as cutting out a lot of the space between stations where the line crosses the river.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

You need to indicate the river's there because it's a huge deal if you got off on the wrong side of the rivers whereas if you get off on the same side as where you meant to go you can just walk easily. The tube map indicates the Thames after all!

Draw a dotted line across the logical map lines where they would cross a river. Move (and delete) the river line where it would interfere with the map readability, rather than moving the stations and lines so they fit around the river. This would probably improve the london map slightly as well though as it's quite interconnected and the Thames does meander around like it's ten drinks under, it fits a little better.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I get that it isn't a 1:1 geographic map, but stuff where you have half a dozen lines curving across the river at uneven intervals just hurts readability.

The section posted could be better represented as a more or less linear plan, with two clusters of stations either side of a plain line denoting the river, and with the lines running parallel and cleanly separated where possible.

This would be even more helpful if it's a section of a bigger map because then the bigger map would better show that section as what it is, a small arc in a larger loop.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like I said, ignore where the stations are geographically, it doesn't matter for the purpose of navigating between them via the trains.

Whether there are six tunnels or one doesn't make a difference to the map, what matters is the number of separate lines running through them. You can draw all the lines which cross the river converging and then split them off again on the other side, and the spaces between stations can be entirely redrawn so that the map looks neat.

That's the difference between a physical and logical map, the physical map is less readable because it's trying to fit to geography, whereas the logical map is just a series of neatly spaced nodes and their links, and is more readable for it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 22, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Then that would be better represented as fifteen straight lines running left/right across the map with stations at even intervals, with branch lines being just that, branches from their parent lines. Other connections between stations can be drawn in in lighter lines where necessary.

You may need to move stations around slightly to optimise the amount of visual clutter but the end goal should look more like this: http://www.mike-barker.com/subway-and-metro-maps/ or this:

It will obviously be somewhat more complex than that but you see the difference?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apologies to all who look at the post count and think Full Rail Nationalism was announced.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guys when your seats are the same kind they put on the arriva buses two models ago, you might want to consider getting new ones rather than reupholstering the old ones, just sayin'.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

tentish klown posted:

My god I hate the british rail system.
I forgot my railcard on Saturday for a London->Nottingham jaunt. I had prebooked my ticket, so had to get the young persons ticket (£38, approx. £55ish without the rail card).
Of course, when I get near Nottingham the inspector comes around, and nicks me for not having my railcard. I got fined £130 for this - what the actual gently caress.

On the way home on Sunday morning, I had the luxury, nay the privilege, of sitting on the floor inbetween carriages because there weren't enough seats.

gently caress this country.

Also, does anyone know how I can reclaim the money for the ticket because I actually do have a railcard?

Raise a fuss with the operating company would be a good start.

Though I'm wondering why you didn't just get charged the full fare...? Round here if you don't have a ticket they just make you buy one off the conductor I think?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

tentish klown posted:

The conductor gave me the choice of buying a super expensive ticket that apparently I can claim back (she quoted some rule that said I get to do that once, ever), or a cheaper £90 option that I could definitely not claim back.

Try making a fuss anyway, if it takes you less than 10 hours to get reimbursed, you're earning a not-terrible wage.

They might offer you vouchers which is sort of like money if you train a lot.

This is admittedly my advice for everything given that it's how my grandmother pays for everything, by arguing until she gets a discount, but it worked last time I got stuck on the train because the line got washed out.

Blah blah poor service blah blah outrageous demands blah blah never using your company again blah blah want my money back blah blah guess I'll accept vouchers.

Something like that, worth a shot at any rate. Don't be abusive but keep trying to escalate if they don't give you anything.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think you get into politics by understanding transport.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think you're really on board with the goals of this government.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Cheer up kids at least you aren't running round on MKII coaching stock built in 1965 hauled by a class 37 on each end with major safety issues and jammed to the gills with masturbating enthusiasts: this is now my daily existence - thanks DfT!

Does the DfT supply the masturbating enthusiasts directly or are they subcontracted?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I generally manage that by being large, dark, and hairy but yes, trains are a nice way to travel if you have a seat in a quiet car.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

If you put headphones in and bury your head in a book you don't even need to be in the quiet car to enjoy train travelling with a nice refreshing alcoholic beverage. If only because Scotrail don't have quiet cars on their trains. And obviously you can't drink after 9pm.

Not specifically the quiet car, just a quiet car without any screaming drunks or children, as not even headphones will block them out.

First class is nice because you get free lunch.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Go to York railway museum if you get the chance, I think it still has a turntable or two somewhere.

Also lots of trains to look at.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I imagine the farmer is going to get a bollocking for that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thehustler posted:

Why did he have to halt an approaching train? Would the previous signal not have been at a red aspect?

Presumably not on the oncoming line, otherwise trains would never be able to go past each other?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

'privatisation' ought to be shortened somehow it's a dreadfully inefficient word

i propose 'privation'

After a lot of privation you end up in the privy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Never seen a card reader without a turnstile before.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mfcrocker posted:

I keep reading this conversation as us having systems to detect Special Advisers :psyduck:

I'm glad I'm not the only person trying to figure out where politics and trains intersect, and what either of them have to do with first world war fighter biplanes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If we're whingeing about trains I'd like to thank the nice man from first transpennine for letting me know about twenty times in 30 minutes that they're very sorry for the delay because the points are broken at middlesbrough.

Also thankyou for letting me know there are definitely men in orange on the tracks so they must be fixing it, that makes me feel much better than when you said earlier that there were men fixing despite them not being allowed on the track because there was a train going the other way.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Does anyone know how the procing model works. I go from up north to london and back each week and have to travel at peak times so the tickets cost a bomb, yet the train is mostly empty. However when I happen to travel nonpeak its jammed to the point of having to stand.

"Poorly." Apparently.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is he standing on the line?

Because I'm just saying one express service in the other direction could improve the world a little bit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did the rear carriage detach in transit :psyduck:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mrpwase posted:

We are sorry to announce that the rear carriage of the 15:30 Southern service to London Victoria will now arrive at 21:20. This is due to the failure of privatisation in the British Railway.

On the plus side, all carriages forward of the rear carriage, will now arrive at 15:20, which in terms of passenger minutes may constitute an improvement if the rear carriage was underoccupied.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looking forward to the repartitioning of the trains into "First" "Standard" and "Ballast" classes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The L&BR took that another step - the entire train disassembled, one carriage for each station along the entire line. It was cable-hauled and the idea was it was easier to do that than to stop the rope at each station, and allowed a much faster service on the outbound leg.

Brilliantly the original idea was that the train would reassemble the same way on the inbound journey which would have taken nerves of loving steel for the brakeman on each carriage. Boringly they decided the inbound leg would be done with all the carriages setting off at the same time (so they all accelerated smoothly instead of trying to go from 0-30 in zero seconds) and reassembling at Minories though.

I'm sure I remember reading about a proposed HST system somewhere where the train would never stop and people would board and leave from another train "docking" with the main one, which is awesome as gently caress in concept but just the dumbest possible idea in practice.

Obvuiously the ideal solution would be to include large magnetic accelerators at each station to catapult the carriages up to speed in time to dock with the oncoming train.

The occasional acceleration of other metallic objects in the immediate area would be of little concern I'm sure.

Bonus points if the trains for some reason do this in the process.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Conductor on my train delivered all station and train announcements in rhyming couplets. 10/10 would train again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's possibly a bit exploitative of the hard work of the unions in getting that package and of your co-workers in making the money that funds it to sign up for a job, then gently caress off on maternity leave immediately afterwards.

I don't agree that the conclusion should be "gently caress women working on trains" but "gently caress people who sign up and then don't come to work" yeah, kinda.

• Locked thread