Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

KayTee posted:

They have a right to free speech and peaceful protest - sure. But so do MAC/Al Muhajiroun/Islam4UK. And they're all banned.
It's disingenuous, or profoundly ignorant, to suggest that a group representing the interests of the country shouldn't be afforded more rights than those groups who want to destroy it and all it stands for.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Augure posted:

I honestly can't tell which of these you think is the "group representing the interests of the country."
Okay, honestly, I don't care for any of those mentioned, but this thread isn't going to go anywhere productive if you approach it from a "the EDL are loving hilarious" perspective. They're a sideshow with very limited support or power, and there are far more powerful entities currently doing far worse things than the EDL will ever be in a position to.

Laughing in particular isn't conducive to stopping them.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Bill O'Riley is GENIUS posted:

Sorry, ignorant American here, but what the heck is Sharia finance?! There are similarly racist fucks over here whining about Sharia law, but Sharia finance?! Are there certain kinds of Muslim bookkeeping that are destroying the good old British ways or something? It's hard to believe this isn't all a big joke.
It's just finance that follows Sharia law. Sharia is an expansive legal system, it's not the Islamic Ten Commandments it's sometimes portrayed as.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Spacedad posted:

Except the opposite happened back in 2009-ish when the BNP was on the rise - it was the BNP making fools out of themselves on the public stage that eventually did them in, while the 'direct action' fuckwits doing poo poo like attacking BNP meetings with hammers only helped give them an air of persecuted legitimacy during their rise.
Exactly. Actually making the effort to directly confront such an odious and hateful ideology is totally counter-productive. Only a fuckwit would do that. If we allow groups like the BNP and EDL a public platform from which to express their views and expose their idiocy, we're basically giving them a noose with which to hang themselves.

There is no way this could backfire at all, and I'm certainly not aware of any precedents.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
Honestly Spacedad, you're just making yourself look bad by engaging with these idiots. If you just ignore them and let them make their points without responding, I'm sure the people reading this thread will see how moronic they are and side with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Superbus MAS posted:

Does the EDL actually fill much in the day-to-day life of the average British person?
Depends where you live and how brown you are I guess.

• Locked thread