Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
This is actually coming out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxRJR0ufkg4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Should've got Joseph Kahn to direct NFS so we can finally get the sequel to Torque we all so rightfully deserve.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

As far as Western shows go, BBC's Sherlock was doing it in 2010

Densha Otoko is the earliest I can recall electronic messages on screen, it was a Japanese series in 2005, although instead of just using SMS they were also putting up emails, chats, and forum posts. It kicked off an annoying trend in Japanese shows which copied the technique and overused it.

If you want to go farther back and include handwritten journal entries on screen, there's Bridget Jones' Diary (2001)

As for what's better... I guess it depends on a case by case basis. There's a slight disruption to the flow of a scene either way whether you're switching the camera to look at the phone's screen diagetically or compositing a distracting-for-not-being-possible-IRL SMS message up on screen. Having it composited at least allows you to show a dozen texts at the same time, like Sherlock does in the example above...

I feel like most people in the entertainment industry are still kind of struggling with how to show/utilize current technological advancements in an interesting way. It's why every lazy horror movie goes "AND THERE WAS NO CELL SERVICE" or whatever.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This cuts a good trailer, this looks and sounds like Super Troopers if everyone including the director had just taken a rip off the tailpipe of a running car.

Super Troopers by way of Southland Tales is absolutely the vibe I get from that trailer.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Did anyone see Dupieux's second film, Wrong? I get that it wouldn't have near the same reception as Rubber (since a lot of people saw that movie on premise alone), but I remember seeing the trailer here and from then on hearing absolutely nothing about it.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Alehkhs posted:

Second trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOvITFK98gg

I don't know how the Wachowskis' keep getting to make whatever the gently caress they want but it's amazing and I love it.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Doctor Bishop posted:

https://vimeo.com/90509568

Well, this certainly looks like it has potential.

This just looks like kids toys to me, hope that's what they're going for

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGkZq8ZOgO4

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The general response seems to be "That looks really weird and probably bad but I don't know what kids are into Michael Bay makes money :shrug:"

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

sbaldrick posted:

Banderas has done some very interesting movies recently plus the Expendables.

Ah, you mean Spongebob

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I really hope they don't change that

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
"The Internet generation"

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I want some more movies about first-year philosophy

After The Dark was pretty bad, unfortunately.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
You forgot the part where young catwoman refers to herself as "cat" and repeatedly insists that people call her a "cat" and also the actress looks like a cat and that is mentioned repeatedly. But on the bright side, Richard Kind is hiding in there

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Yeah but you just described every girl I dated in high school.

If you dated Richard Kind in High School congrats

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

But VISUAL LANGUAGE :qq:

I don't know why you're crying...but I hope you cheer up

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The Mummy looks cool

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I'm gonna get sad when Chappie sacrifices himself to save his friends

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
It's not like District 9's basic plot was that off-the-wall crazy.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Wow that CG has not aged well

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
it was just very jarring for me because in my head, The Last Starfighter's effects held up

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I liked Star Trek, I will probably like the new Star Wars, I think the crossguard thing looks goofy but the majority of Star Wars things look goofy so it seems thematically consistent at the very least.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
"FORREST GUMP"

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Is Anna Kendrick good in End of Watch, because I was looking through her filmography and realized I haven't liked her in anything I've seen.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I think in most cases it's just that good cg is cg you don't notice, and bad cg is cg you do notice.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Tis the season to be Kevin Hart

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The James Franco reveal in this is so funny

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

computer parts posted:

Yeah, if they had left it at the "just goofing off" part the twist would've seemed more interesting (although a lot more people would probably be annoyed that it "lied" to them).
One of my favorite movie experiences was channel-flipping, landing on some Jay Baruchel romantic comedy on FX that had apparently just started, and watching as he suddenly ditched his love interest to apprentice as a wizard under Nicolas Cage. Not a good movie, but some great whiplash

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
You can not imagine how badly I want Kid Rock's American Badass to be the new Inception horns.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

twoot posted:

New Tomorrowland trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjBLszpEk0o

looks terrific

Okay now someone recut this with Kid Rock's American Badass

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Hell, why not.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Agreed that the problem with Adam Sandler movies is lack of relevant pop culture jokes.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Goddammit I'm just trying to watch this Happy Madison comedy but all of Nick Swardson's lines are brutal takedowns of various MTV VJ's

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Betting big on an Adam Sandler movie in 2015 is the most badass thing imaginable and I am in full support of Kiimo.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I don't know if our new mod is doing toxx's but if they are

:toxx: Adam Sandler's garbage looking video game movie will receive over 50% on Rotten Tomatoes, a true rarity for the man. But I believe :toxx:

If I fail ban me or change my avatar or whatever? Not sure which would be more shameful in the long run to be totally honest.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Deakul posted:

Oof, bold move. preemptive :rip:

I foresee a 15% in its future.

Chris Colombus, Adam Sandler, they're finally gonna pull it off. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

kiimo posted:

I'm downgrading from "really loving funny" to "surprisingly entertaining" a night of sleep removed from St. Patricks Day.

Bad news for me

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The Force Awakens trailer kind of surprised me with an awareness of how little affection I have for the *Star Wars Brand* despite it being the dopest poo poo on earth PEW PEW when I was younger.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Wow something we agree on. Freaky.

I don't know who you are or why it's weird that we agree, but hell, I'm glad we agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

This is exactly why I'm surprised we agree on anything-- you're the type of person who thinks I'd care about whether or not you know me.

Uhhhh ok

• Locked thread