Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kiimo posted:

Oh hey guys uh nevermind.

So then... You gonna dish? I can probably guess, but I want to hear about panic and ritual suicides amongst the executives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Deakul posted:

The point is it was originally a joke about big name actors dying early on in movies.
Holy christ, you people.

I guess it's a spoiler to say that we'll be friends with the aliens in the end and coexist with them, it then kicks off an ID4 sitcom.

:shrug:

I don't understand the hissy fit being thrown by the guy, it's loving speculation in joke form.

People forget where they are and get all BEEP BOOP about these things. I guess. Trying to be charitable.

It is a forum for a comedy site, so people are going to crack wise. To be fair, the meltdowns are funny to me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Deakul posted:

Suicide Squad looks like it'll be as big of a mess as BvS.
But, it might actually be a fun mess!

Fantastic Beasts... I can't really say for sure if I'm excited or not yet, Harry Potter is a guilty pleasure for me but this doesn't look quite right to me.

I think part of it may be a vote of "who put this adult movie in my fantasy world aimed at children?" I'm hoping much like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, the end result is fantastic.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BlueBayou posted:

Going to have to see Dr Strange in 3D

Are they actually filming in 3D. If so, yes please. Otherwise I've found 3D done in post, gives me a massive headache.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

effectual posted:

I've found it depends on if it's done well. There are a few movies that did it in post and it was great, and a few that filmed pure 3d that sucked. Never had the headache problem though so not sure how that relates.

I think it's more bad 3d done post. A lot of it just doesn't have depth of field, so there's tons of stuff on screen that scream "Look at me" and my eyes have problems figuring out what to focus on. And it makes the hurty-brain thing trying to figure out why the depth of field doesn't match the placement 3D tells me it does.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5DmdPy7uHo&t=29s

So... Toy Story. But with animals. (that's how I imagine the pitch meeting went)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm old enough to have seen ID4 in theaters and also old enough to not pretend it was ever a good movie

Same.

But I don't know where anyone said it was a good movie. It's a *fun* movie.

I'm perfectly fine with lovely action movies that insult my intelligence as long as they're fun. This looks like it will fit the bill.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kiimo posted:

I laughed at this because as I've mentioned before this campaign is my former boss's and I just know the dude who replaced me was in charge of tracking down that retro rating card.

Well, if you're still on speaking terms with him, tell him he knocked it out of the park with that last trailer.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kiimo posted:

I started that video, turned it off around the tickling and was like meh. Then read your responses, went back.

What the poo poo.

Serious question, would you consider it a poorly made trailer because you wandered away from it? I almost did the same, but then the crazy started.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

I want the movie to be good. But it's not a great sign when I don't even approach cracking a smile during your comedy action movie trailer. The action looks pretty decent, though, and I like the visuals in a lot of those scenes.

It's like an anti-trailer. They put in the least funny scenes instead of the usual practice.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jewmanji posted:

No, actually there are a lot of very vocal people upset about the fact that they are women.

I wouldn't really call it "a lot". It's just "savvy with the Internet" and "MRA" overlap, so they're louder than their numbers would indicate.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vegetable posted:

At the end, are the sealions shooing away another sealion? Or are any of them sealions at all? Because I don't totally get what was going on.

I don't think there's any other reason than they don't like Gerold.

And the "Off! Off! Off!" was kind of reminiscent of a sea lion's bark. This movie's "Mine?", I guess. Made me laugh, but I'm simple.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

I dunno, looks smart enough to highlight how hosed up the parenting is while still having sympathy with the parent.

I'm hoping the movie shows that he's not a bad guy, just a guy that's made some really bad decisions.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

effectual posted:

What's hosed up about it?

I'm getting a real Living Naturally and/or Off The Grid vibe. In the real world that means no proper schooling & poor socialization for the kids and no modern medical treatment until poo poo has spun out of control. Kids probably don't even have a birth certificate which is gateway documentation for all sorts of social services and government aid, let alone being THE proof of citizenship.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The MSJ posted:

HBO's Westworld is finally back with a new trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX3u0IlBBO4

Jesus, I really hope this delivers. And I love the direction they've taken rather than Yul Brynner: Proto-Terminator.

I mean, can you imagine? Your whole life is living in a frontier town where a stranger comes and does whatever he or she wants. A literal personification of evil. And then your memory --your life --is reset and time for the next customer. All you know is horror and depair unending. And then the veil is lifted.

I actually have goosebumps thinking about how this will play out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kiimo posted:

Someone needs to tell the head of Ubisoft European Operations about things you should and should not say when pumping poo poo loads of money into a movie campaign.

‘Assassin’s Creed’ Movie Won’t Make Money, Ubisoft Chief Says

:ughh:

Christ, did they just tell everyone not to go to see the movie? Because it kind of looks like it.

I also love the part at the end where it's basically the panicky response of PR.

quote:

To be fair, Ubisoft does view “Creed” as a quality film, not just a marketing tool. “We strongly believe the ‘Assassin’s Creed’ brand has this cross-over appeal that will please both video games fans and movie goers,” the company said in a statement.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is Donnie Yen's character Zaitoichi

Master Jedi Zatoichi... Or ex-Jedi, or Force sensitive. Or... who cares, we get Donnie Yen unleashing "blind" Kung Fu and whuping Empire rear end.

We truly live in the best of times.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

the_american_dream posted:

If that version of Flash is how the tv series is, I may have to give that show a shot

It's not. The 1st season is decent, but the second is full of disappointment and confusion.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Is this just a feature length version of that Pepsi commercial?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

twoot posted:

Pfister is also directing a TV adaption of The Tick

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5540054/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_1

:stonk:

Patrick Warburton is the only live action Tick. :colbert:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I had the understanding that a lot of directors admire Bay from a technical standpoint. The man has a very stylistic kinetic energy in his action scenes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jedit posted:

Ignoring the voiceover, Bryant says that there was a problem with replicants over time developing sufficient emotional depth to pass the VK and so the limited lifespan was introduced. He's also saying it to Deckard, who as a highly experienced blade runner would have known about it had it been in place when he was working. So the lifespan cap is a recent development.

Also the VO doesn't say Rachel is Nexus-7, just that she has no lifespan cap. That she's not a Nexus-7 should be obvious from the main movie, where she was the test model for the implanted memories of the Nexus-6 series. As a model intended to test how replicants developed emotions over time it only makes sense that she wouldn't be capped; they'd need to know how long they could make the lifespan.

NEXUS 7 is a pretty decent assumption to make if you saw her being the next generation NEXUS (seeing as Roy and Friends are all NEXUS 6).

Personally, I saw her as either a POC or as a vanity project by Tyrell.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well they did in the Fantastic Four reshoots. :v:

Don't conflate "mistake in continuity" with "apathy"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

When they first made the announcement, I wasn't all that interested.

But I have to say, this is looking like it could be really good. Almost like a techno-Servile War with Ed Harris in the part of Spartacus.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Hope this movie ends with old Nic Cage blowing his brains out on the lawn after years of harassment over him being a "traitorous murderer", like what happened IRL

It better. What happened was a loving travesty, and the Navy's treatment of McVay was a disgraceful act to sweep procedural failures under the rug (although there's some speculation it was an act of revenge by Admiral King against McVey's father, a retired Admiral). It's always a good thing to keep a spotlight shining on that kind of poo poo.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Teagone's trailer is good but 90% of that is the music because really what else are you going to use for a GITS trailer?

I'm willing to bet whoever made those short teases never saw the original. The trailer gave me goosebumps, but I don't know if that was a reaction to recognizing the music or if it was the trailer in general (music and visuals). I feel the music (and being familiar with the source material) gave me a context for the trailer that might not be otherwise apparent.

I'm interested if there's anyone in the thread who didn't see the original. Did the music work for you?

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 22, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LordPants posted:

Oh god its me, I am the one who guffawed at the Mr/Dr bit in the trailer.

Nope. I was right there with you.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ruddiger posted:

Headshot - starring that guy from The Raid, doing all his punchy/shooty Raid poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe0nQ0TeZjU

Call of Heroes - period kungfu/gun-fu piece co-directed by Sammo Hung!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtpY-Ac1aDk

I'm very much down with these.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Latest Underworld trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxOJfSV3MHs

I am so down with this.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Spergatory posted:

The dialogue feels a lot more Star Wars-y in that trailer, in both good and bad ways. But the visuals are still amazing, and only cement my opinion that this will probably be the best-looking movie in the entire franchise.

Plus some Donnie Yen blind jedi action.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kiimo posted:

From Rome's point of view the Jews are evil!

Go away Kenobi, you're drunk (and take those drat droids with you, they ain't allowed)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dexo posted:

Kinda wish they didn't just use Hooked on a Feeling again.

Do you need a hug?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dexo posted:

Nope. It's not bad or anything. But I was hoping they could find something just as inspired as "Hooked" was for the next movie.

Still a good choice, not really bashing it.

I was quoting the Drax from the trailer :eng99:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I liked The Village, Devil, and The Visit.

Unbreakable will always have a place in my heart.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The MSJ posted:

Hey you people! Are you stoked yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ziu6JzJTZ0

This is well on its way into becoming a Saints Row movie.

I said this in the poster thread, but this looks like the the most shitmazing movie ever. I will be grinning every minute of it.

Also, DONNIE MOTHER loving YEN

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The MSJ posted:

I hope the people making this understand that, unless there are contract issues or injuries or whatever, it would be extremely moronic if they don't have Donnie Yen fight Tony Jaa.

I totally missed the fact he was in there ( I was so excited Donnie Yen was in it). This is going to be the best non-martial arts movie with martial arts.

The only thing better would be if Jackie Chan and Jet Li were the crotchety owners of the bar we see in the trailer and then beat the poo poo out of every one and kick them out for loving around with a live grenade. (yeah, I know it will never happen since they don't really like each other)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vegetable posted:

Jackie Chan and Jet Li don't like each other? First I've heard of it. Chan described fighting Li in Forbidden Kingdom as "fighting a brother."

Maybe my info is incorrect then. The report I heard was that Chan thinks Li is too serious and doesn't have enough fun with things, and Li thinks Chan is too flippant and not dedicated to the "art". It was ages ago and might be "this guy I know says" sourced article.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

teagone posted:

Thanks! It all worked out in the end, heh. This is dumb, but the parts that I'm really proud of in my Ghost in the Shell trailer were synchronizing the quick drum taps in the cue with the machine gun shots in the water (1:43) and the bullet shells falling out of Aramaki's revolver (1:48). When I got it pretty close, I totally nerded out. Just wanted to point that out because it was pretty hard :shobon:

I just wanted you to know I totally noticed. I also loved the transitions and how well you timed them with the music in general.

You have some serious talent. Count me in as one of the people egging you on to risk financial ruin and living out of your car to follow your dream (for reals, you should do it. Don't let it be one of the things you will regret not trying decades from now).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

My favorite part is that Bad Moon Rising isn't butchered by a bad cover.

Agreed. That poo poo has got to stop, it's immensely annoying since the cover is inevitably crap (see the cover of "Enjoy the Silence" from the non-teagone trailer of GitS)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gently caress yeah. Baby Groot kicking rear end and taking names.

• Locked thread