Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

If anything Vader makes me more leery. Last time I saw him in a Star Wars it uhhhh wasn't great. Seems like one of those characters that might be too iconic

I feel like Gareth Edwards has earned a little trust when it comes to adapting iconic monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

It's about how the Rebels got the plans to the Death Star to destroy it the first time.

Nice, we finally get an explanation for the exhaust port. Mads looks badass in trailer (as does Donnie, and everyone else).

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I really wanted to avoid watching the trailer but I couldn't resist. It looks absolutely fantastic and now I can't wait. :negative:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Sir Kodiak posted:

I feel like Gareth Edwards has earned a little trust when it comes to adapting iconic monsters.

Oh good we won't see the monster the movie is named for until the second hour of the film, well after the protagonist we've been following dies off-screen in a scaffolding collapse.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
That trailer looks fantastic.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Dillbag posted:

Oh good we won't see the monster the movie is named for until the second hour of the film, well after the protagonist we've been following dies off-screen in a scaffolding collapse.

I'm guessing much of the Rogue One team the movie is named after will show up pretty early on, even if it takes them a bit to get the call sign.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Skizzzer posted:

So is Rogue One a prequel to the OT? Does that mean all of these guys are going to die? :(

I hope that they all die, even the handsome space nazi with the cloak. Honestly, I'm sick to death of the Star Wars insular universe bullshit where everyone is related to everyone else or their parents were next door neighbors to their greatest enemy's grandparents or some poo poo. Just let these random rebel mooks do their job and die in service of a cause larger than themselves. The story will be better for it.

They've been knocking it out of the park with these trailers, and they even have Mads Mikkelsen doing some solid supporting role work, so I'm probably gonna see this in the theater more than once over the holidays.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Dillbag posted:

[whispering to date while watching Rogue One when Rogue One first appears on the screen] That's Rogue One

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I hope that they all die, even the handsome space nazi with the cloak. Honestly, I'm sick to death of the Star Wars insular universe bullshit where everyone is related to everyone else or their parents were next door neighbors to their greatest enemy's grandparents or some poo poo. Just let these random rebel mooks do their job and die in service of a cause larger than themselves. The story will be better for it.

Haven't seen it stated better.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I really think these movies will be terrible horrible no good very bad.

I will pay to see them multiple times.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
It looks like a better movie than ep 7 ended up being. Maybe less iconic-star-warsy but better overall. That cast is staggeringly good

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

But like the Bond movies or the DC or Marvel movies or all the other big franchises, the performances can be very good but ultimately it all becomes mired in a soup of who gives a poo poo

There's a loss of urgency or immediacy when it's franchised. The story and the performances and everything around them are all in service of some 'grand' thing, and they're carved and shaped to fit into some specific hole instead of being allowed to become whatever they could have become. It's boring.

I don't know if that makes sense. I just know every time I've tried to watch a franchise film, I've gotten bored before the first act was over. To start with I used to watch the whole movie, now I don't anymore.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Skizzzer posted:

So is Rogue One a prequel to the OT? Does that mean all of these guys are going to die? :(

That is Rogue One in a nutshell.

Infact, they did this at Star Wars Celebration this year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9BuyiFvLJA

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Snapchat A Titty posted:

But like the Bond movies or the DC or Marvel movies or all the other big franchises, the performances can be very good but ultimately it all becomes mired in a soup of who gives a poo poo

There's a loss of urgency or immediacy when it's franchised. The story and the performances and everything around them are all in service of some 'grand' thing, and they're carved and shaped to fit into some specific hole instead of being allowed to become whatever they could have become. It's boring.

I don't know if that makes sense. I just know every time I've tried to watch a franchise film, I've gotten bored before the first act was over. To start with I used to watch the whole movie, now I don't anymore.

It makes total sense, mainly because you're watching something that is created first and foremost as a midcult product. The emptiness is innate.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Punkin Spunkin posted:

If anything Vader makes me more leery. Last time I saw him in a Star Wars it uhhhh wasn't great. Seems like one of those characters that might be too iconic

As Spikeguy pointed out, the TV cartoon series Star Wars Rebels actually made much better use of Vader. They even made sure to give him the measured, deliberate lightsaber style that he used in the original trilogy rather than the frenetic looney tunes styles that everyone was using in the PT and made it look absolutely brutal when used against lesser opponents. Ezra and Kanan have been beating pretty much everything the Empire has thrown at them up to this point but then Vader turns up and throws them around like rag dolls.

Spikeguy posted:

Vader should be as inhuman as possible. Just this thing you have to loving run from. I liked the way he was used in seasons 1 and 2 or Rebels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-jQL-0oxTA

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

They're terrorists

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
How can u guys support an unironic movie about terrorists

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Zzulu posted:

Because those terries also happen to be space jews

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

From Rome's point of view the Jews are evil!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kiimo posted:

From Rome's point of view the Jews are evil!

Go away Kenobi, you're drunk (and take those drat droids with you, they ain't allowed)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Zzulu posted:

Rambo is the hero the world needs.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zzulu posted:

They're terrorists

It's hard to believe Americans would ever support a rebellion against an imperial power.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Because those terries also happen to be space jews

Vader's gonna drax

theyum

sklounst.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

davidspackage posted:

Vader's gonna drax

theyum

sklounst.

you gotta fireboard them mothmajammers

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Lobok posted:

It's hard to believe Americans would ever support a rebellion against an imperial power.

u mean a terrorist uprising against a stable and democratically elected government. There'd be galaxy wide peace if it wasnt for those war mongering terrorists

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Lobok posted:

Also when we support them they're proud freedom fighters hoping to bring democracy to their land against the horrible despot that rules their proud nation.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Alec Baldwin is playing yet one more man child after his SNL performance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8kE7rSzfQs

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Very NSFW trailer for Polish vampire mermaid fantasy horror, The Lure (this movie is so good, guys)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKBMAAqZ7no

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

Very NSFW trailer for Polish vampire mermaid fantasy horror, The Lure (this movie is so good, guys)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKBMAAqZ7no

I'm always game for more monster ladies.

Meanwhile, new Assassin's Creed trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pC2IjvLSKs

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 18, 2016

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

We've traced his bloodline back 500 years... to the assassin's creed.
:doh:

All they had to do was replace the creed part with order or brotherhood, that sounded so loving euuughh

Otherwise, it looks pretty... that's about all I can say.
Terrible trailer with jarring musical shift and their idea of the animus being this giant mechanical monstrosity is stupid.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 18, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The MSJ posted:

God this looks bad.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I warned you.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
This movie has a weird amount of star power. Irons, Fassbender, Cottilard.

They said Christmas, are we sure they didn't mean January?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I will watch Fassbender clown some fools for two hours, sure.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

The MSJ posted:

Ugh. I'll rewatch Macbeth I guess.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Deakul posted:

and their idea of the animus being this giant mechanical monstrosity is stupid.

Reminds me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WwqXHo4v8k

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

What do you want from me?

Your rear end.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The MSJ posted:

This look terrible. They're taking so many liberties with the material that completely negate the "twists" which they're also obviously using. Like ok, so the animus is now this machine that let's you "move" / simulate what you're reliving. I can go ahead and buy that. But why in the ever-loving gently caress would this simulation need actual hidden blades / bow and arrows or any other actual weapons. And Fassbender already being a fighter / killer / something goes against the entire reveal that going through these memories causes a bleed-through of the skills the assassins had which is how the protagonist escapes / becomes better in the modern story.

So you're harvesting these people's lineage while also equipping them with weapons so they can relive their assassin heritage. No way this backfire on the company!

The inquisition sets / action looks pretty cool but, like the games, the modern parts look loving terrible.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Do the games even use the modern settings anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So you're harvesting these people's lineage while also equipping them with weapons so they can relive their assassin heritage. No way this backfire on the company!

Especially since they already put a few shots in the trailer of Future Fassbender cutting loose with assassin weapons and the other prisoners battling guards.

• Locked thread