Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I might be remembering things incorrectly, but I could've sworn there was an Exorcist trailer that was made in the same style as the Alien trailer. It was build up, build up, build up... explosion of violence!

I can't seem to find it on YouTube, but I can almost swear I saw it...

edit: here it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyJqUDDjmaI&feature=fvsr

Pacing's not as good as Alien (buildup too short, climax is too long) but still great

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jewmanji posted:

edit: I resent the implication on the part of this film and its creators that I will somehow be "entertained" by a re-enactment of OBL being shot in the head. Though of course ticket sales will prove me wrong, people are going to flock to this.

I'm willing to give Bigelow the benefit of the doubt that this film might have something more to it than just revenge entertainment.

I'm also pretty sure that even if it is a smart movie, most audiences will just go there for the revenge entertainment. You remember how Inglourious Basterds went down, don't you?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

schwenz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpXfcTF6iVk
prisoners

Well, this looks tense. I'm guessing it doesn't all end well.

I'm hoping that it's (speculation that might be a spoiler) seriously this is your last chance oh well if you're still reading here's an ROT13 Zrzbevrf bs Zheqre

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 31, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I have my hopes up for Oldboy.

So far, Spike Lee has gone with the lighting and design of the original film. The wallpapers, the concrete penthouse, everything looks really close the original.

Story seems to be almost verbatim with the original other than you know what, and I consider it a good change.

A lot of what sells Oldboy is the insane meltdowns of actor Choi MinSik, and I guess a lot of Oldboy 2013 will hinge on Brolin's performance.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 11, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay, so apparently there are reports from early test screenings, and.... it sounds like The Ideal Remake. Everything different is superficial, and everything important is maintained.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well, here's an excerpt from the report:

quote:

I think it’s safe to say that Spike Lee has a certain feel to his movies. In this, though, you can tell it’s not something that is of his own volition. However, is fingerprints are all over this flick. Even if you didn’t know that he directed the movie, the soundtrack, cinematography, vibe and feel of the movie scream Spike Lee. It’s a great touch that I haven’t seen in his other recent movies, like Inside Man.

MAJOR SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE ORIGINAL, MINOR SPOILERS IF YOU HAVE:
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/spike-lees-oldboy-remake-test-screening-reaction-says-its-just-as-sick-and-twisted-as-the-origina

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 11, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Film composition question: in the top screenshot, the boxcutter is in his left hand. Then in the second shot it's in his right hand. Is there a reason for this? My guess is visual continuity... the trash can becomes the ceiling light, the line on the floor becomes the line on the ceiling, and the box cutter stays on the right side of the screen. Does that sound right?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 11, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Deadpool posted:

So, here's the trailer for the Japanese remake of Unforgiven. I will definitely watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAwbhrqSPgk

Had no idea this was happening, and it makes too much sense. Unforgiven happens as civilization is catching up to the frontier, and the old cowboy days are slowly disappearing, which has a great parallel to the Meiji era of Japan.

Come to think of it, it's like a serious version of Rurouni Kenshin :v:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Dexo posted:

I wonder if there are Japanese fans of the original Unforgiven are up in arms and angrily posting on 2ch over a Japanese remake of it.

:colbert: "Why do they need to remake Unforgiven? Just because we Japanese are too lazy to watch a movie that's not made in Japan?"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
A while back someone posted "worst trailer song ever" and now I can't find it. I think it was a Lee Van Cleef movie.

I don't even remember which thread it was...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'm not sure it's "a manic pixie dream girl," if anything it seems to suggest it's modeled after his mom. Which is going to be really weird.

edit: you know, it's an overused, tired old concept for a story, and yet the trailer makes it feel interesting again by exploring new angles. The main character seems be so free with sharing his life with a computer, what's keeping him from being open with humans?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 8, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

DivisionPost posted:

Some trailers amplify your already sizable appetite for a movie. Others catch you off guard by letting you know a filmmaker or star you like has something new coming out that you didn't previously know about.

Still others just hit you from way out in left field. You never heard of this, you never heard of anybody involved with this, you don't even normally seek out this kind of movie (in this case, documentary), but you watch the trailer and you want it YESTERDAY.

Guess which one this is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMQY6k16TU

"THIS IS WHAT IMMORTALITY LOOKS LIKE"

Hahah. It looks pretty interesting but those quotes are the worst thing about this trailer

"THIS IS THE WIRE WITH WHEELIES"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I've never heard of a trailer that said "In Post Production" before, but here is a new trailer for Terry Gilliam's upcoming film The Zero Theorem, featuring Christoph Waltz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKT296jh8xg

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Aug 30, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

I've never heard of a trailer that said "In Post Production" before, but here is a new trailer for Terry Gilliam's upcoming film The Zero Theorem, featuring Christoph Waltz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKT296jh8xg

One day I hope Christoph Waltz and John Malkovich get to play brothers in a movie.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If you thought that Gravity trailer was simply too good and you need a trailer to bring you back to reality, here, watch the first official trailer for the Robocop remake coming out next year! :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INmtQXUXez8

This is the age of Drone Politics in scifi

edit: He looks 90% the same what is wrong with you crybabies

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 6, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Re: Robocop

Samuel Jackson says "This is the future of American justice." That should be ringing your satire bell.

In the original, Robocop was sold to the public as a robot, which was a lie. This time around, it seems Robocop is being presented to the public as human, which is a lie in a different way. That Robocop is a human brain who is unable to make decisions that contradict his superiors because of systemic restrictions is maintained.

Robocop's face needs to be different because of the above. 1987 Robocop's face was horrifying because the public was never meant to see it. His helmet was fastened down hard and Lewis had to unscrew several bolts it to take it off. 2014 Robocop's face looks like a guy in a suit and his helmet easily pops up and down because his face is meant to be seen by the public, he is meant to interact with his family, he is supposed to look somewhat reassuring that the Robocop program is a Good Thing™. They want people to see his face. "Look, we saved this brave law enforcement officer with technology" OCP is going to tell the public, leaving out the fact that they've programmed him to lose his free will. There is actually something more insidious about this.

There are hovering drone fighters shooting on cities, which should be ringing your "political commentary" bell. Yes, it's late to the "drones are evil" commentary that Iron Man 3 and Star Trek 12 already did, but at least this movie has some more thought put into it than "let's put the same Robocop in 2014!"

Robocop 1987's appearance represented the 80's pretty well, since he was clunky and silver and ED-209 had a grill like a boombox. They looked like 80's electronics. As someone pointed out several months ago, Robocop 2014's appearance mirrors our modern electronics: black metal and glass.

There is so much going on in this trailer if you spend more than five seconds to think about it.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 6, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

massive spider posted:

Honestly I'm happier the more things they change. If you're gonna do this the last thing I want is a beat for beat remake.

Here's another one: The restrictions on 1987 Robocop's brain only prevented him from performing actions that were not in OCP's interests. It could only prevent him from doing things, but it couldn't force him to do things. The trailer for the 2014 Robocop seem to suggest that OCP has the ability to make Robocop do things against his will, and trick him into thinking he wanted to do it.

There's a lot of potential there for taking the story in a new direction.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Dunno if you can steal a story idea from a game nobody ever played

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

DeclaredYuppie posted:

SLJ's line is ringing everyone's satire bell. It's just also ringing a lot of people's "This is loving obvious and tired and totally uninteresting satire" bell as well.

Saying we shouldn't militarize or corpratize a police force has been said in a thousand dystopian books and movies and tv shows before...including the original Robocop and its sequels. Why should this movie get anything other than an eyeroll for repeating it?

As you say, dystopian scifi books and movies covering militarized police existed before 1987, where do you draw the line on what's tired, 1988?

And c'mon, If you're going to criticize 2014 Robocop over being "obvious," 1987 Robocop had the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-2WPo0yE9w

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 6, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You criticize the new one for being too obvious with its satire, and praise the old one for being obvious in its satire. You criticize this new one for being shallow, but also criticize it for being too much like the original. You're criticizing this one based on its trailer but you're praising the old one based on stuff you never would've gotten from its trailers.

C'mon. What this boils down to is that you just don't want a remake. Try to keep an open mind!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 7, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Acting doesn't look very good, but still curious just because of how insane it looks.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Repost here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnt7x0MyOYc

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It looks like it got taken down now, but the music from the Godzilla trailer is the music from 2001 when Dave goes into the Monolith. Good choice.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

kiimo posted:

Oh and I forgot to mention: that Godzilla piece isn't done.
For not being "done," it looks pretty drat good.

I can't imagine what else it needs other than maybe better titles at the beginning

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Real Name Grover posted:

Yup, looks like a Wes Anderson film.

It looks like.... Wes Anderson making a Coen Bros movie if that makes any sense

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The aspect ratio is going to bother me more than it should.

I thought that opening shot was great, he fills the 4x3 pretty snugly

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 17, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

LesterGroans posted:

Locked room mystery + Liam Neeson Action movie...

Why the gently caress not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiHDJ19A3dk

Taken 3: This time he means business (class)

Barf Wight posted:

First the texts popping up on sceen and then Corey Stoll turns up. Some guy has been watching House of Cards.
Texts onscreen goes back at the very least 8 years ago

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
As far as Western shows go, BBC's Sherlock was doing it in 2010

Densha Otoko is the earliest I can recall electronic messages on screen, it was a Japanese series in 2005, although instead of just using SMS they were also putting up emails, chats, and forum posts. It kicked off an annoying trend in Japanese shows which copied the technique and overused it.

If you want to go farther back and include handwritten journal entries on screen, there's Bridget Jones' Diary (2001)

As for what's better... I guess it depends on a case by case basis. There's a slight disruption to the flow of a scene either way whether you're switching the camera to look at the phone's screen diagetically or compositing a distracting-for-not-being-possible-IRL SMS message up on screen. Having it composited at least allows you to show a dozen texts at the same time, like Sherlock does in the example above...

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 17, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
He's not just doing it willy nilly. I mean, look how snug each of these looks, without looking like they randomly cropped a widescreen movie for tv. In fact, it looks like they're using the edges of the frame as "walls" to lean back on, etc, as if we're peering into a shoebox diorama:

There's also an emphasis on perfectly framing the picture around objects that are also 4x3. IMO probably the main reason for the decision. I mean, look at these and imagine how sloppy they would look in cinemascope!...

:nws:

The boxy image also emphasizes vertical height, high ceilings:

What's odd then, are the few widescreen shots in the trailer: These are cinemascope:

And then this one is 16x9. Perhaps they will crop these for the final film. You can easily see how the door jambs around F Murray Abraham and Jude Law, and the curtains around Tom Wilkinson would make a 4x3 frame.

The majority of the trailer is drawing attention to the fact that it's 4x3, but is doing it intentionally and making the most of it.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 19, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I don't disagree that it's cramped. "Snug" is definitely "cramped" compared to "roomy." Where I disagree is the idea that "cramped" has to be a bad thing.

The feeling of slight discomfort from the uncommon aspect ratio might translate well into feeling uncomfortable watching awkward people.

But who knows, that's just conjecture until the movie comes out.

Carthag posted:

IE: The images are nicely composed if he's going for cramped/snug, but I'd get claustrophobia I think if I'd have to watch it
Ok, fair enough

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Another thing is that in traditional 4x3 you'd have people's heads placed about 2/3 of the way up the screen, whereas here he's filling up the space in several shots and cramming them so that their heads are almost at the top of the screen.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Nah, he was answering my question and I don't think he was being dismissive or anything

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Alehkhs posted:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier official trailer is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLWsK1ZFunA

Yay, Redford playing a CIA spook

What's up with the new costume? Is this going to be a grimdark Captain America

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Vendictus Prime posted:

they really seem to not like helicarriers. Who is the new villain, looks like he's part Cyclops.

You probably mean Colossus, what with the metal band arms.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You know, if they'd have cut the breaks out of the first trailer it would have been perfect IMO. The frenetic energy was so strong in that trailer otherwise.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It's Halloween, let's check out some good horror/ghost/spooky trailers!

Poltergeist! This is IMO an excellent one; the pacing, the escalation, the music, the lines. Almost perfect even by today's trailer editing standards. What's crazy in hindsight is that you see almost nothing in the trailer other than people's horrified reactions to things. You're even staring at a camera staring at things at one point
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ytjaMfoF2M

Exorcist Extended Edition: This one's a little rough around the edges, but I love the buildup and the sustained explosion of panic in the last third, ending with that ungodly roar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyJqUDDjmaI

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 31, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Because their job is to get butts into seats and whether they spoil the movie or not has no relevance to their job performance

C'mon, you know this already. People like us nerds on an internet movie forum who get upset about spoilers are in the minority.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 1, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Everyone's making movies about being stranded!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM78CUp451Q

Sunshine? That song is so overused. Let's go with something different like the 28 Days Later soundtrack!

(Movie premise looks like it could still be good)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Chewbacca posted:

Paul Walker. I hereby dub this movie The Fast and the Floodiest.

Also, when you said 28 days later I immediatly assumed it would be this song, but apparently that's from 28 weeks later?

Hours' trailer sounds like a cover version of that song

And it was in 28 Days Later too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZNk35OJERI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

TheChad posted:

I was more confused by the mixed elements.

Hercules is:

A Gladiator(???)
Has lightning powers(?)
Has a Samson scene for some reason.
Other weird poo poo I'd remember if I watched the trailer for than once.

Is obviously being shot indoors when he's outdoors

• Locked thread