Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Nybble posted:

Yeah, the music isn't the best match. It would have been more clever naming-wise, had the song been paired with it's popular remix, Levels.

I love all the cameos. I thought when I saw the teaser that they would just have homages to the classic 8-bit characters (Donkey Kong vs Mario, Wreck-It Ralph vs Fix-It Felix), but nope! Clyde, Bowser, Zangief, Dr Wily, Dr Egghead (Whatever happened to Robotnik?) ... awesome. Should be a fun movie, and the kids (and our inner-kids) will love it.

I wonder if they'll come out with an Arcade game?

Part of the marketing involves them touring a Fix-It Felix arcade machine (which I believe they've already been bringing to comic conventions over the past few months) around the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

davidspackage posted:

I wasn't feeling the Cotner narration so much because the lines are so clichéd, but the Butler as Jor-El narration sends a bit of a tingle down my spine.

Crowe, not Butler.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I can't believe I'm looking at a $250 million Guillermo del Toro movie. Like, it's so unabashedly him and his team in the color, the blocking, the composition, production design, everything. They let this guy be himself with a quarter of a billion dollars. This is the most exciting thing about it.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

What about Driving Miss Daisy or Rain Man?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Jewmanji posted:

I'm kind of pissed that they are waiting till Oscar season to release this movie since I can safely assume that the Coens will get snuffed again like they always do.

They're multiple-time Academy Award winners, I'm not exactly sure what the hell you're talking about.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgjuJEYpOJg

Inside Llewyn Davis. New trailer. Nuff said.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Both also have talented scriptwriters behind them, with Star Wars having Michael Arndt (who wrote Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3) and Jurassic World had Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver (both new Planet of the Apes films) both writing initial screenplays and/or treatments, only to be later be rewritten by Lawrence Kasdan (Empire and Raiders) for Star Wars and Derek Connolly (Safety not Guaranteed) for Jurassic World.

Nothing Michael Arndt wrote will be in the new Star Wars, actually; he had completed a draft that was focused on the generation following the original trilogy (just featuring the older generation), JJ came on, and summarily tossed out Arndt's entire script so he and Kasdan could write one that much more heavily features Luke, Leia, and Han. This happened just a little over a year ago.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

That's still better than mediocre and "fan-pleasing". It could be interestingly bad, at least, although this being from the Thor 2 guy (a movie that quite literally just seems to have vanished from everyone's memory within a year) doesn't give much hope for that.

Still hilarious that their entire idea seems to ve "well gently caress it smash the first two movies together, add some future framing device, I don't know".

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

morestuff posted:

"And tell the finest mid-tier TV actors to name their price!"

"No, wait, that's too much."

Hey now, Emilia Clarke is at least on a high-tier TV show by virtue of being on HBO. And Lee Byung-hun is probably getting paid pretty well to try to shore up the Asian market.

Jai Courtney's probably a cheap quote, though.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

I don't know why Jai Courtney keeps getting cast as male lead when the one thing he was really good in he was the sidekick.

I can't tell if you're referring to Spartacus or Jack Reacher, but at the same time, both apply.

echoplex posted:

That's literally what it looks like from here, though. It just look like bits of the first two films that people like the most.

I hate to say "at least Terminator Salvation" because I'd be loathed to defend it, but at least Terminator Salvation didn't look like a fanfilm version of 1 & 2. There's just nowhere to go with this, surely.

Fair point.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Death By The Blues posted:

The edit and music is bad but its more-so how flat and dead everything looks. Everything lacks creativity or basic mise en scene, its just so ugly and basic. Thats something that cannot be fixed, barely any movement, generic shots, framing of shots is awkward.

It's funny that people actually assumed Peyton Reed would be able to bring any of his actual style to this movie, given how little time and input he had in pre-production and how everything has been rushed to make sure they hit the July 2015 date. It was such a weird, long shot hope to have that was obviously not going to happen considering they've found a way to flatten out the style of everyone before, and that's with those directors being around the whole entire time.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

I absolutely believe that you can turn the Fantastic Four into a good movie, but it requires understanding that the comic is born out of 50's scifi. The teaser makes me think they caught the "scifi" part but thought that meant it needed to be grim and depressing because they ignored the "50's" part.

Yes, the 50s, totally a time of wacky fun and silly science fiction conceits like The Day The Earth Stood Still or The Thing From Another World, The Creature From The Black Lagoon, Invasion of The Body Snatchers, Them!, Godzilla, The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, The Fly, The Creeping Unknown...

The 50s had a lot of very dark, bleak sci-fi. Why wouldn't it? The shadow of the atomic bomb loomed over the country as a whole. Everything was about reaching into the unknown and paying the consequences for it. 50s sci-fi was loving grim.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Excuse me for not being specific that it was an outgrowth of Campbellian style scifi which dominated science fiction writing of the 1950's.

Campbell wrote Who Goes There?, though, and while Astounding Sci-Fi was a lot of sci-fi adventure stuff, a lot of that poo poo has some dark undertones. I'm not really seeing too much out of sorts with that tradition in this F4 teaser -- they are sent on an adventure into another universe which changes them irreparably, and on a level, it's a frightening change that they have to learn how to deal and live with.

I mean, what is this 50s sci fi that you're referring to that wasn't dealing with people coming to grips with how we'd invented a way to murder everyone in a several-mile area in a split second.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Maarak posted:

Watch the UK version first. It's shorter.

Also a whole hell of a lot better.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

I can't really look up a source but I recall reading that Paul Rudd and Adam McKay basically did a rewrite to make it all fit in with Marvel as what Wright wrote wasn't going to work with the studio's long-term goals. Even if it was provably Wright's idea to include no-faith jokes they're still a bad idea that simply isn't working. I love Wright but even as a genius not all of his ideas and writing are winners.

The Cap writers did a polish of Wright's script (after Marvel told Wright that the script was good to go and he had started in on pre-production with animatics and casting - which is what made Wright go "okay, forget it, I'm done"), and then McKay and Rudd were given it in the period before they got Peyton Reed on to replace Wright. And then, finally, they went back to the Cap writers to polish the polish of their polish one last time, probably to incorporate every exec note that Wright and/or McKay & Rudd had balked on including.

Bringing on someone to doctor or polish up a script right before production isn't unusual, but in general doing it to a writer who's also your director is looked on as kinda poo poo to do (Gunn got rewritten on GOTG for example, but he was at least informed of it beforehand and got a chance to tweak the script a little more back to his voice afterward) and I can't think of the last time a studio played hot potato with a script so openly with like two months before shooting would start.

The jokes are going to be all over the place in this movie.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Timby posted:

Men in Black III is the first one that came to mind.

Even that went Cohen>Koepp>Nathanson with six months between Koepp's work and Nathanson's doctoring, and not Wright>Marcus/McFeely>McKay/Rudd>Marcus/McFeely between like late April and early July.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

That's true, that's its own special clusterfuck though. We also forgot World War Z shutting down production to rewrite and reshoot the entire ending. Lindelof probably got a ridiculous paycheck for that one.

I wonder where M:I 5's rewritten ending would fall on this scale - they hadn't shot it yet from all I've heard, and McQuarrie went right out there and said "we realized it needed a little more before we actually started shooting". It's unusual to stop production for days to do something like that, but it seems like everyone involved actually had a clue what they wanted to do with it.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

BlueBayou posted:

JP was exciting because the premise was new. JW is not as exciting because we've already had 3 JP movies. And countless other movies with similar special effects. You can never get that awesome "Alan (and the audience) see a dino for the first time" scene again because its already happened.

I really wish JW was just a movie about other things, set in a dinosaur park. Like Adventureland, but with dinosaurs!

Nah, a sense of awe can be created so long as you have a proper command of cinematic technique. The issue becomes whether or not the filmmakers are good enough.

Colin Trevorrow went from an indie romantic comedy to this gigantic thing - probably so he wouldn't have to work again if he doesn't want to, and/or because he likes JP so much - so he either might not have that skill inherently, or just as likely he may not have developed a sense of how to put things together to create a sense of awe the way Spielberg can, who was born with that skill, developed it through his teen years, was nurtured by older filmmakers, and finally got unleashed onto the world at the exact time he needed to.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Jagermonster posted:

Few things fill me with more rage than the fact that Shyamalan is still being given money to make movies. How many loving chances can one guy get after making one good movie and dozen subsequent disasters? WHY, HOLLYWOOD GODS, WHY!?!?

He made this with his own money, apparently

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Red Letter Media misses forest for trees, news at 11

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Which movie did they roast that you loved to hurt you so much.

It's okay, you're in a safe space.

I wouldn't know, all I know is their idea of "all movies" seems pretty much tied explicitly to sci-fi tinged action blockbusters that are already adhering to the hero's journey formula and 90% of the time appear to come out between the months of May and August. "Hey, look, guys, people copy a successful formula for a very particular style of movie" is an opinion about as interesting as a hot dog.

Like wouldn't "all these movies look the same" be more effective a point, since after a certain number of skyline establishing shots I forgot which film I was looking at and after a certain point the chaos of the trailers blurred together since like 90% of those action sequences were pre-vized by the same company.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I'm guessing that the three of them felt making a short film in the guise of a trailer was the best idea.

But seriously, I feel like I just watched a sanded-down version of Rachel Getting Married. This screams "we made a safe version of that for the boomers! Check it out! Your kids hate you but imagine if you can get them back! Also Meryl Streep basically being Stevie Nicks, guys! C'mon!"

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

I remember one episode of that show, and I'm pretty sure time has distorted the memory. The ending involved a kid saving a princess with his super soaker, then they warp away into what looks like a gym, but it turns out they're trapped inside a pinball table. The story ends with them about to get crushed by a pinball.

It was way more effective than it looks on page, at least for a 10-year-old kid.

Like 80% of the entire episode takes place inside a pinball machine. The main kid is trying to beat the "story" of the pinball machine, he breaks into the arcade after closing, starts playing it, gets stuck inside the machine, where he has to contend with everything in the story, saves the day, and thinks he's going to get freed when he does. At the end the owner of the arcade shows up while the kid is still in the machine, wondering what the hell happened, and the owner basically tells him "it's a game, and when you beat a game, it starts over again!" before plinking in a quarter and the kid watches as a giant pinball rolls into view, which means he has to do the whole thing over in a Sisyphean nightmare that now also includes a giant death ball chasing him and a maniacally evil old dude able to see every move he makes.

There's also my personal favorite, the one about a restaurant whose cook makes the best soup you can get anywhere - by locking people in a room (luring them in by saying they'll learn what makes the soup so special if they go into the room and sit in the sole chair in there) with a statue that knows what scares you and subjects you to it incessantly, and the fear brought on by this creating the secret ingredient that makes the soup taste so good.

Starring Neve Campbell.

I'm pretty sure that one has a downer ending, too.

There's also the haunted film reel episode that featured one of the recurring guest stars that was an old, super-bearded crazy man and the haunted film is basically Nosferatu.

Plus the Ryan Gosling episode that had something to do with alien contact in which you'll be astounded how bad a 14 or so year old Gosling is at acting. Like holy poo poo, he's the drizzling shits in it.

I remember way too much about Are You Afraid of The Dark and SNICK in general.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

How refreshing would it be for Hollywood to do something that wasn't even done before there was a Hollywood, when the movie industry was more New York and Boston than Los Angeles.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

New Alexa 65, with Hasselblad lenses. 65mm sensor, but small enough to be handheld, paired with some incredible glass. And the best living cinematographer.

Jesus Christ, you're not kidding when you say small:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The only thing I feel about that is that it's been too long since we've seen Joe Pesci.

Dude has retired at least three times now. Scorsese is usually the guy that shakes him out of that for a few years.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

It was a huge surprise to see him in that FBI movie DeNiro directed.

I imagine a guy you've known and been great friends with for thirty years being like "hey I'm making a CIA movie with Matt Damon and Angelina Jolie, I think you should play a mobster in it" is a hard thing to turn down.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The last I remember about Olivia Munn (outside of the Brett Ratner shrimp masturbation story) is that she got props for her performance as the therapist/gently caress-buddy in Magic Mike and being the only person on the show able to make Aaron Sorkin's Newsroom dialogue slosh palatable.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I think you might be overstating Ivan Reitman's directorial capabilities there. Feig's no Edgar Wright at visual comedy, but he's shown more style and capability than just about anything Reitman's done outside of Ghostbusters.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The funny part is that the trailer itself was thrown together because Warner execs were getting cold feet about Burton's take and focus grouping they had done showed that people still thought of Adam West when they heard the name Batman, while at the same time DC was getting deluged with angry letters from Batfans about letting Michael Keaton portray their favorite superhero.

So Peters had a bunch of the most finished footage from the film slapped together almost overnight and got it in front of Christmas movies in '88. There's no music because Elfman hadn't gone into the scoring stage yet.

It's a very stark trailer. It stands out even nowadays, mostly because it's entirely dependent on the visuals, sound design, and a few choice lines, two of which are the most enduring lines from the film.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Jewmanji posted:

Paul Feig has a hall pass for life for Freaks and Geeks, but absolutely nothing in that trailer looks good. Wow.

I was also surprised at how much love The Heat and Spy got. If anything, those movies felt like some of those 90's SNL vehicles where they just have a funny actor improv on camera around a soft script and try to make a movie out of it. All the credit in those movies goes to Melissa McCarthy (who was great). Were the original Ghostbusters really star-vehicles the way this is? I'm too young to remember how people perceived Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd at that stage.

Murray had done Caddyshack and Tootsie and Stripes in the years before this, and Aykroyd had done The Blues Brothers and Trading Places on top of being parts of the breakout years of SNL early on, so they were quite well known.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, yes, Godzilla is obviously the progenitor of the advertised star of the movie dying early and not Scream or Psycho or Executive Decision or numerous other pictures.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 5, 2016

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I look at that and see a pretty incredible prosthetic job of a guy with crocodile skin, like that practically looks like they found a guy with a particular type of skin disease.

Also holy poo poo he's got a crocodile jacket on. Because of course he does.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Blizzard is comically rich, and not in a valuation voodoo IPO kind of way, in a hard currency kind of way.

The fact that they're the more solidly solvent side of a merger of which the other side is motherfucking Activision says a lot.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

A trailer making a big dramatic button to the trailer be one of the goofiest aspects of the game - diving off tall things into a cart full of hay - is applaudable in a really, really dumb way.

But yeah this is going to be very pretty and incredibly nonsensical. Which might make it great! But based on every other foray into video game movies, not very likely.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yoshifan823 posted:

It's way way more common in TV, where you can bring in a guest star during sweeps to pump up your ratings. So stuff like Robin Williams doing an episode of Law and Order, Brad Pitt showing up in Friends (this one was double effective because he was married to Jennifer Aniston at the time), Elizabeth Taylor showing up in each of four CBS sitcoms on the same night, etc. These have varying results, because occasionally the famous person does really well (the aforementioned Robin Williams example, the All in the Family episode where Sammy Davis Jr. shows up for about 10 minutes), but most of the time they suck.

The Robin Williams thing was for Homicide: Life on The Street, and it was so good and successful it revitalized NBC's faith in the show, which was essentially already cancelled and had been given a short episode order instead of being cleanly sliced after the first season as a favor to the producers. David Simon wrote about the brief moment in time he was in orbit with Williams, having co-written the episode: http://davidsimon.com/robin-williams-a-brief-encounter/

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Why anyone cares what the kids of celebrities do is beyond me. I get that as Americans we want to fill the void of royalty with anything we can, but seriously, what difference does it make. Feel bad if they die young of some accident or overdose, but beyond that, is it really that imperative that you have a position on their actions because TMZ cravenly reports on their doings and whereabouts?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Pfister simply wanted to move into directing and right around DKR's release announced that it would be his last job as cinematographer of a movie, having just set up Transcendence with Warners a couple of months prior.

Then Transcendence came out and now he probably can't get another movie off the ground.

Whoops.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

He got a gig directing the first episode of Flaked, the Will Arnett Netflix show you already forgot existed. Just now. The moment you read that first sentence.

Jesus gently caress that isn't quite the worst drop I can think of an Oscar winner having, but it's close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Dante's an apprentice of Corman, he's well-equipped to pull every drop of blood from a stone of a script should one end up in his lap.

• Locked thread