Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lady Gaga posted:

It doesn't really give you much information about what the story is about though. But how would you make a movie trailer for a story like The Great Gatsby? I've been thinking about this since I saw the trailer this morning and can't really come up with any compelling ideas. It's really not a narrative that you can introduce easily in a 2 minute trailer.

Yeah, I haven't read it and what I got from the trailer was "Legendary parties! Drama! Legendary parties!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I didn't realize how high my hopes had been for Bardem. Thinking back there hasn't been a villain I've thought was great since Trevelyan. Mikkelson as Le Chiffre was great in almost every respect but the movie overall was lower key as Bond wasn't putting to a stop to a huge megalomaniacal scheme or averting global catastrophe. And since the movie is plotted and structured around the fact that Le Chiffre is not the big fish he is basically meant to feel more like a bit player.

Edit: I don't like the way they cut the Bardem reveal. The first, very quick impression of Bardem as a strange dandy is almost funny and I wouldn't be surprised to hear people laugh in the theatre.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 31, 2012

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I hope our Canadian gossip news personalities annoy the hell out of Brad Pitt by calling it World War Zed.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Asiina posted:

I didn't know anything about this other than the shakeycam teaser but holy poo poo that trailer.

So this is basically Anime: The Movie based on that trailer.

Amazing.

Although if you're embarrassed to see it as anime, I know the giant robots go back a long time in live action Japanese TV shows (Spider-Man if I recall) and obviously Godzilla and King Kong go waaaay back.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Slackerish posted:

For what it's worth my friend got to read the script (he went to NCSA with Travis) and said it's hands-down the best script he's ever read. Says that it's going to basically be the second-coming of film.

Definitely going to be a lot of coming.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BlueBayou posted:

Im sure they will explain it in the movie.... Im just skeptical

Really the most distracting thing is the Glados voice...

On the other hand, Stringer Bell dont take no alien guff

The only real issue with bipedal robots is walking, which takes a lot of balance and coordination. With human pilots and haptic feedback it's less of a worry. The real magic of any giant robot is that usually there is more than one pilot.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In both shots he's in he's wearing glasses, so that makes sense.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

GonSmithe posted:

Saw the Gravity trailer in front of Gatsby in 3D tonight, it looks increeeeeedible on the big screen. Can't wait to see it in IMAX.

Saw it in front of Gatsby too and most of the theatre laughed, especially at the end.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Attention Horse posted:

Yeah, I saw some comments on the internet saying the exact same thing. I don't get it, what's so funny about the ending?

People take Bullock floating off into space in only one of two ways: evoking the horror of HAL killing Bowman in 2001, or the dude hitting the propeller on the way down during his fall in Titanic. The crowd I was with already wasn't buying the trailer, and so the ending set them off. Maybe people don't buy Clooney or Bullock as serious astronauts or it just ended up being funny how often the movie relied on them drifting away. Like imagine you saw a trailer for an Everest movie where there were 3 or 4 separate times that someone slides down an icy cliff edge and maybe they won't make it!!!

It was like the reaction to the trailer for that recent Halle Berry 911 dispatcher movie. The trailer has one abducted girl call 911 and Halle Berry has to listen as the killer kills the girl and gloats. Terrifying. Suspenseful. Then the trailer shows it happening a second time. But then the audience is thinking, haha this lady sure loving sucks at this! And people started laughing.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 13, 2013

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

kiimo posted:

Receiving lots of flack for the look of Smaug. I personally think too many people wanted him to look like the feline dragon in the Rankin-Bass cartoon.

Whatever, it's a dragon. Everyone has their own ideas of what it should look like. No pleasing everyone.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Secreted Shite of All-Turd lovely.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vine is 6 seconds, Instagram 15.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

zenintrude posted:

No one ever remembers I :h: Huckabees...

Or him as the guy who just really wants to buy a glittery platform shoe in 40 Year Old Virgin.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Whoa, that's a pretty big ship. It totally looks like it can hold the hundreds of millions of different species of animals.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ghosthotel posted:

Spoilers for the book:
he's actually dying for real every time. It's an ability the invading aliens have which is why the humans are losing the war. The main character manages to kill one of the Groundhog Day aliens while in direct contact with it and the ability rubs off on him

So does each alien have the power or is it one time loop that the aliens en masse tap into? It doesn't make much sense if each one is in its own time loop.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Evans has said too that the trailer only shows Act 1 stuff.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Those fan noses make Leo and Mike look like they're doing that smushed-in, "Good grief" face Kermit makes a lot.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

kiimo posted:

From the "News Nobody Cares About" file, here're the Golden Trailer noms.

We would care if they made a trailer.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Deakul posted:

Trailer for the trail movie based on the trail book by Cheryl Strayed about hiking on a trail.

I'ma smoke up for this so I can see the trail blazed.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The ape line works pretty well since it challenges whether humans would actually care about intelligence and sentience in another being or if we only care about other humans. That's Planet of the Apes in a nutshell. Humans and apes are already so similar that we should care for apes more, and yet even when apes close the gap by speaking our own language back at us we still don't give a poo poo about them.

Also, I'm loving that this is coming out with Ultron set to be the big Avengers villain. Should be interesting to compare and contrast.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

We still get tons of stories from time periods way older than mid-20th century so I don't think stories about WW2 will die off as a function of time. It's a hugely fascinating and important period for dozens of reasons that extend beyond Grandma and Grandpa being involved in it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

flosofl posted:

I'm willing to bet whoever made those short teases never saw the original.

I'm interested if there's anyone in the thread who didn't see the original. Did the music work for you?

I saw it but so long ago I'm not sure it counts. The effectiveness of the music is less about recognizability and more about it being unnerving in a novel way, i.e. not the usual high-pitched violins or not-so-subtle heartbeat percussion.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zzulu posted:

They're terrorists

It's hard to believe Americans would ever support a rebellion against an imperial power.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MacheteZombie posted:

Do the games even use the modern settings anymore?

Syndicate only had a few short cutscenes of live drone footage of your team doing stuff. There were no playable segments.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

^^Mentioned this in the games forum not too long ago, but in Syndicate you meet with Benjamin Disraeli and his wife. Mrs. Disraeli carries around a little dog named Desmond in a handbag. You actually have to rescue the dog at one point during a silly late-game mission.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

But why in the ever-loving gently caress would this simulation need actual hidden blades / bow and arrows or any other actual weapons

Maybe there's going to be a scene where he's killing someone in the genetic memories but actually kills someone in the real world at the same time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ancient relics helping with latency would be neat. I wonder if there's going to be a sequence where he gets hit by a lag spike and poo poo gets weird in-memory.

The Assassins drop him from the team because of his high ping.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sir Kodiak posted:

The frame story largely exists to make the immersion-breaking mechanics (locked-off zones, strict mission requirements, etc.) part of the fiction by presenting them as being imposed by the in-world simulation of the past. This is completely unnecessary, generally more disruptive than just flatly enforcing them the way GTA would, and not used in an interesting way, so just imagine how good it'll be in a movie where there isn't even the excuse of working around the limitations of game mechanics.

The idea of the animus basically takes the "whoa I know kung fu" appeal of the Matrix's instant skill endowments and crosses it with an Ancestry.com/cliche Chosen One appeal of any one of us schlubs potentially being part of some important, bad-rear end bloodline that we didn't know about.

The videogames mostly squandered it but the basic premise has a pretty sound Everyman fantasy foundation.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sir Kodiak posted:

I would have been completely onboard with this if it had gone down a road of having the second half of the game, or the sequel, or whatever be modern day/near future action where the historical training explains why the guy just loves using blades and such.

I really don't get what happened. Everyone expected the series to culminate in a modern-day AC but either they were always intending to string people along or they couldn't conceive of a modern-day setting that wasn't parkour friendly and a hero that wouldn't use guns all the time. But AC:Syndicate worked really well with 19th century London so... I dunno. Adding an extra 200 years to that game would not have necessitated drastic gameplay changes to make it work.

Edit: Though on second thought a modern-day AC would have been directly competing with the Arkham series even more than it already does so maybe it's just best they stayed in their lane.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

They weren't though...were they? I honestly don't remember, but at least SOME of the time there wasn't a loading screen....right?

I don't recall any loading screens but there was a cutscene, haul summary display, and a menu decision for you to make regarding the boarded ship's fate that really slowed down and interrupted things when you wanted to board a ship but still had more to fight or board in the battle. Very tedious and made boarding a bit of a chore when that should be the ultimate high in a pirate game.

Edit: When I said "haul" I of course should have said BOOTY

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bugblatter posted:

I don't play AC games, the movie was only on my radar because of Macbeth. I was really interested to see that director and Fassbender working together again, but then I thought the movie looked awful after the previous trailers and disregarded it.

This trailer made it look cool and fun though, so it's back on my radar. Kinda nice to see fun pulpy scifi action that's actually well shot and crafted after the onslaught of alternately sloppy (Marvel) or dreary (DC) comic movies. Are people mostly just angry about things being changed?

Things being different are always going to be off-putting at first but I thought this trailer was much better, music choice aside (I'm okay with the idea just not that particular song). The most jarring change is the Animus being this huge robot arm contraption but I think that works better cinematically and serves to differentiate from the same kind of machine in the Matrix so it's a good call.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dexo posted:

Kinda wish they didn't just use Hooked on a Feeling again. But do what works I guess.

Hooked on a Feeling is almost the GotG theme song at this point so it makes sense they went with it for at least the first trailer. But yeah, I was also a little disappointed. Hope they show off some other music in subsequent trailers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

They honestly ruined the song for me cuz it feels like it's been in a billion ads ever since their first movie came out. I know it wasn't exactly an unknown song but I hate it when a song gets overused in media and just dies

The Blue Jays started playing it in the stadium last year when it was clear we had good playoff chances and in the few times I've been back to catch a game it kinda seems like they're trying to make it like Boston's "Sweet Caroline" routine.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

teagone posted:

I guess amputation by fantasy laser swords is considered less brutal/gruesome than amputation by mutant fist blades.

If only he had put his claws on the stove for a little bit to heat them up we could have been getting amputations this whole time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LesterGroans posted:

Forget Ray Park.

Fry Cook Toad is where it's at.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zzulu posted:

I Dont get it is she bulletproof or not

If she's not even bulletproof and has to deflect all bullets with her hammy wrist thingies, then how could she ever be on par with Superman or fight creatures like doomsday and poo poo

Maybe it's like spitballs. I'm spitball-proof but that doesn't mean I want you hitting me with spitballs.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Deakul posted:

Still looks like it's going to be the best Batman film

My thoughts exactly!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Collateral posted:

Is it wrong to want to see a Cara Delevingne and Emilia Clarke eyebrow war?

"I want to take her eyebrows... off!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think the Kong trailer was great. With the jokes and sheer amount of footage of both Kong and other monsters they're showing right away it seems clear they're trying to really brand this is pure popcorn pulp. Angling towards Jurassic World rather than Godzilla.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's funny that Cars even needs a teaser. Did the target audience age along with the movies? Cuz otherwise does that young of a demographic they're going after even comprehend how far away next summer is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jewmanji posted:

Eh, I think it was ill-advised but Tom Cruise is great when it comes to keeping things light and out of grim-dark territory. But I agree that the whole thing is sort of a fool's errand. I'm not sure who would be a good fit in that role at the moment. The earnest 90's leading man type that Brendan Fraser occupied doesn't really exist anymore.

Chris Pratt seems pretty close, but he doesn't have quite the leading man look of the era the Mummy films were going for.

• Locked thread