Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

It all depends on where pricing settles. We've had the 7900XT hit $699 repeatedly, I think the XT is easily worth a $50 premium over the GRE.

When the 7900XT gets cheaper than the 4070S, there's a real case for it.

The cheapest 7900 GRE on Newegg currently is $539, $160 cheaper than the 7900 XT. That's a fairly hefty premium for the 7900 XT, though it's worth noting that if you do an overclocked vs overclocked comparison, that gap widens back up again:

edit: and for the record, overclocking 40-series cards typically gives you about 5 - 7% extra performance. Here are the 4070 Super and 4070 Ti Super:

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Those are big gains. I have no idea why AMD didn't clock the memory higher from the factory if that carries over to real games. An XT beating 4080 performance is kind of crazy.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

KillHour posted:

Those are big gains. I have no idea why AMD didn't clock the memory higher from the factory if that carries over to real games. An XT beating 4080 performance is kind of crazy.

Because they want you to buy the XTX

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

change my name posted:

Because they want you to buy the XTX

This only works if you're already getting more than the scraps nvidia drops under the table.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

KillHour posted:

7000 series are notorious for becoming unstable and crashing when clocked too high. It defaults to clocking too high.

EDIT: Like, for some games I had to manually apply a maximum clock frequency to the manufacturer's OC because the card could sometimes boost way beyond that and crash.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nalin posted:

7000 series are notorious for becoming unstable and crashing when clocked too high. It defaults to clocking too high.

EDIT: Like, for some games I had to manually apply a maximum clock frequency to the manufacturer's OC because the card could sometimes boost way beyond that and crash.

sounds like you just got a defective gpu

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

At least in the GRE's case (for the Hellhound, anyway) the memory chips are actually rated for the higher speed. I'd barely consider it overclocking at that point.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FuturePastNow posted:

At least in the GRE's case (for the Hellhound, anyway) the memory chips are actually rated for the higher speed. I'd barely consider it overclocking at that point.

TechPowerUp also increased the max boost frequency to 2803 MHz on that card (the max the drivers allow), up from the default of 2530 MHz. But that's pretty much another free slider adjustment, with enough voltage headroom still to give the card a decent undervolt (which helps keep the card at its max clock).

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The cheapest 7900 GRE on Newegg currently is $539, $160 cheaper than the 7900 XT. That's a fairly hefty premium for the 7900 XT, though it's worth noting that if you do an overclocked vs overclocked comparison, that gap widens back up again:

edit: and for the record, overclocking 40-series cards typically gives you about 5 - 7% extra performance. Here are the 4070 Super and 4070 Ti Super:

Dang, that’s neat :catstare: AMD still in the game huh

All the hype in the past week about nvidia conquering the world makes you think there’s nobody else around

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Hardware Unboxed did some actual gaming benchmarks with an overclocked 7900 GRE and found it to be 7% faster than stock at 1440p and 11% faster at 4K:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5tbCbm1IYM

They compared it against an overclocked 4070 Super, which saw smaller gains overall. They didn't OC any of the other 7000 series cards, but as I showed yesterday, you can expect any gaps widened or narrowed by overclocking the 7900 GRE to be brought most of the way back to normal when OCing the others.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Hardware Unboxed did some actual gaming benchmarks with an overclocked 7900 GRE and found it to be 7% faster than stock at 1440p and 11% faster at 4K:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5tbCbm1IYM

They compared it against an overclocked 4070 Super, which saw smaller gains overall. They didn't OC any of the other 7000 series cards, but as I showed yesterday, you can expect any gaps widened or narrowed by overclocking the 7900 GRE to be brought most of the way back to normal when OCing the others.

Based off his description of the overclock, it doesn't sound like he undervolted, so there could be a bit more performance to be gained.

Honestly, NVIDIA 4000 series cards only getting ~5% from an OC on average while AMD gets 10-15% makes me wonder why AMD leaves so much performance on the table. It makes a lot more sense to push it closer to the limit like NVIDIA.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

pyrotek posted:

Based off his description of the overclock, it doesn't sound like he undervolted, so there could be a bit more performance to be gained.

Honestly, NVIDIA 4000 series cards only getting ~5% from an OC on average while AMD gets 10-15% makes me wonder why AMD leaves so much performance on the table. It makes a lot more sense to push it closer to the limit like NVIDIA.

Probably because one of the constant criticisms of their cards in the past has been that they run louder than Nvidia, or it's something they can present to partners as "hey your OC model card that actually makes you money can have a noticable difference over the reference".

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

pyrotek posted:

Is it Nvidia pushing closer to the limit or is it Nvidia locking down overclocking options harder

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Arzachel posted:

Is it Nvidia pushing closer to the limit or is it Nvidia locking down overclocking options harder

What options is it locking down? You can increase the core clock, memory clock, power limit (to varying amounts depending on the model), and undervolt. About all you can't do is increase the voltage (which would help, don't get me wrong)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Based on what people have done with hacked VBIOSes and shunt mods, Nvidia is not leaving much on the table when they limit the voltages of their cards. Without LN2, overclocks with modded 4090s perform maybe just a few percent better than unmodded 4090s. I think Nvidia just doesn't want people doing stupid things with voltages and bricking their GPUs for no reason. And extreme overclockers who chase after those few extra percent are gonna mod their cards anyway.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Maybe, but it is a very common problem online.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Based on what people have done with hacked VBIOSes and shunt mods, Nvidia is not leaving much on the table when they limit the voltages of their cards. Without LN2, overclocks with modded 4090s perform maybe just a few percent better than unmodded 4090s. I think Nvidia just doesn't want people doing stupid things with voltages and bricking their GPUs for no reason. And extreme overclockers who chase after those few extra percent are gonna mod their cards anyway.

My suspicion is that nvidia is better at binning their chips. Whether this is intentional or because they're better at it who knows.

Basically I think they're more confident that a 4090 is going to perform like a 4090 and not a 4080, whereas I could see AMD setting a lower bar because there's more variance in what they produce and they want to make sure that they're shipping a stable product as labeled. Maybe you get lucky and your card is going to OC really well, maybe it's barely hitting the bar for stock. But from their perspective they don't really care about the silicon lottery as long as it can actually do what it said on the box. Anything more is a bonus.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nalin posted:

Maybe, but it is a very common problem online.

Any problem a card can potentially have will appear common if you specifically search for reports of it online, but that does not actually make it common. If your GPU can't run stably at its stock out-of-the-box clocks, then it's defective, simple as that. It should have been returned the moment this behavior was observed, and it shouldn't be held up as representative of how all AMD GPUs behave.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 25, 2024

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Speaking of overclocking and Nvidia cards automatically boosting to take advantage of lower temps, is it even worth OCing my 4070 ti or will the gains be so minimal that I shouldn't bother?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

change my name posted:

Speaking of overclocking and Nvidia cards automatically boosting to take advantage of lower temps, is it even worth OCing my 4070 ti or will the gains be so minimal that I shouldn't bother?

It might be worth it to undervolt it and then let the card auto-oc itself after that. You might also need to increase the power limit. Depends on what limit your card is running into.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I feel like today's BIOS's are the equivalent of a CVT so having a manual transmission just doesn't make sense for most consumer cards. You might be able to get a little performance at the edges but mostly it's not worth it.

This AMD card seems like an outlier but also it strikes me that AMD just used memory it could source and then kinda lazily made sure it was segmented to the right market.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Does anyone know if Forbidden West has an adjustable INI or something to exceed the graphics past maximum?

I absolutely love the graphics, but the draw distance becomes a problem, even on maximum. For example, in the Training area, Chainscrape valley or whatever, the highest peaks get rendered with low poly while the rest of the valley is like 8K beautiful, presumably because it hits the max draw and scales down. It's a little jarring, but I would love to jack the viewing distance to basically infinite given how well the port runs...

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Off topic sort of but how is FW performance wise? I remember holding off on New Dawn for quite a while because of reported issues. 7800x3D/4080 here and looking to play 4k. Helldivers is testing my patience with its stability issues so I’ve got no more to give for another semi-broken game.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bloopsy posted:

Off topic sort of but how is FW performance wise? I remember holding off on New Dawn for quite a while because of reported issues. 7800x3D/4080 here and looking to play 4k. Helldivers is testing my patience with its stability issues so I’ve got no more to give for another semi-broken game.

It’s really drat good this time around

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bloopsy posted:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/horizon-forbidden-west-performance-benchmark/5.html
https://www.computerbase.de/2024-03/horizon-forbidden-west-benchmark-test/2/

TPU's benchmark has it running at an average of 71fps and 60fps 1% low on the 4080 at native 4K. Computerbase's testing at 4K with DLSS Quality shows a 90fps average and 80fps 1% low. According to the Digital Foundry tech review, there's no stutter struggle either. Seems like it'll run just fine.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
redditors(!) have pointed out that it seems to have some kind of forced sharpness you can't turn off that's increased the more you lower your render resolution for upscaling, but other than that, everyone seems to love its performance

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Lockback posted:

I feel like today's BIOS's are the equivalent of a CVT

garbage, constantly prone to breaking?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Any problem a card can potentially have will appear common if you specifically search for reports of it online, but that does not actually make it common. If your GPU can't run stably at its stock out-of-the-box clocks, then it's defective, simple as that. It should have been returned the moment this behavior was observed, and it shouldn't be held up as representative of how all AMD GPUs behave.

The problem is that it ISN'T stock out-of-the-box clocks. For example, the Red Devil 7900XTX has a 2395MHz base clock and a 2565MHz boost clock according to their specs. The AMD drivers can, under some circumstances, suddenly boost to over 2900MHz and crash the graphics driver. That is way beyond the manufacturer's specified boost clock. It feels like they try to push the card hard if you have the power and cooling to do it, but it pushes just a little TOO hard for all cards. Setting a max clock to prevent it from boosting to obscene levels is one of the most common solutions I see online for 7000 series crashes.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I've been happily rocking a small gpu for a while but considering all of the ai tools run on gpu and amd is talking a lot about focusing effort onto improving ai performance on upcoming processors. It sounds like I'm looking forward to whatever is coming out in q3 this year. I have to admit this is after about 30 minutes of research and I don't know what I'm talking about.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nolgthorn posted:

I have to admit this is after about 30 minutes of research and I don't know what I'm talking about.

congrats on your new job at Tom’s Hardware!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Subjunctive posted:

congrats on your new job at Tom’s Hardware!

Rejected from TechPowerUp due to being overqualified.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

RT is good actually

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

some time cube energy in this picture

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Time Cube was abovegod, so yeah, he was right.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

GPUs hallucinate like 90% of the pixels we see now, so we might as well make the ones it actually has to calculate really pretty

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

orange juche posted:

some time cube energy in this picture

20 years ago we all made fun of the time cube guy and he had the last laugh, his kind is now a powerful political class.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ray cube guy lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
raytracing will probably be good in 10 years when some math guy stumbles upon a way to do raytracing cheaper than classic rendering on a modern gpu

until then, i'm gonna keep disabling that poo poo every time i see my framerate drop under 100