Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Whatever happened with the 4090 cables that burnt? Did that ever get fixed, confirmed user error, still could happen?

Looking at a Windforce V2 4090, but wondering about the cables, don’t need more sources of stress in my life
user error or confusion don't seem to be as much as a threat as it was before with a more binary detection of whether a cable is properly seated in the connector or not

it's not perfect, but the margins for error are probably so small now that it's not worth worrying about, as long as you don't add another point of failure like a third-party adapter outside your gpu and psu manufacturer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

YerDa Zabam posted:

Wonder how they will feel on a keyboard and mouse? Planing on getting a gamepad at the end of the month anyway, but it'll be interesting to see how they compare.

I always run the PS5 ports on a controller because they are usually made for one, and can definitely recommend the Elite 2 controller for that purpose. It just feels good to hold.

Don't tell anyone else in the thread because it would be embarrassing, but sometimes if I'm watching a movie or something I'll just hold the Elite 2 controller for a minute :nsa: and the way you can modify the actuation levels and slot in different (both included and third party) sticks / paddles / directional pads is surprisingly fun and useful for getting a more tailored feel in your hands.

Mouse and keyboard supremacy for sure, overall, but the ports are really beggin' for a controller (imho)

Animal posted:

Can confirm. So far it runs perfectly smooth and looks beautiful. Not a single hint of stuttering or performance drops. Just a flat consistent frame time graph.

I think this is the single largest win for sure, yeah. It shows that devs can, in the end, fix the stuttering. They just don't want to put in the time and money. The most disappointed I've ever been with a game's performance was trying to play that Jedi dark souls game.. Fallen Order I think? The stuttering was so bad I didn't boot that game up for months after out of PTSD.

Nixxes is probably the goated pc port hitmaker. The fact that they're doing this AND Tsushima is incredible. I've been playing through FF7 Rebirth on PS5 and all I can think about is how big of a mistake I'm making playing it now because if they give that game to Nixxes it's going to be stellar. That's easily my most anticipated port, but I'll take Ragnarok too! What a good time to be a gamer recently, it's absurd. People say that there aren't that many good games coming out these days and I'm always like... wtf are you talking about, are we on the same planet...

The other thing that immediately made me very happy is the texture work on the vegetation. I would like to say it's second to none, but the new Avatar game exists. Speaking of which, that game is super underrated and has amazing graphics. I suppose it was ignored because it's a Far Cry-Like, but it's far better than that would suggest.

Zero VGS posted:

I don't know who this guy is so I googled him and the cringe physically knocked me to the floor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgDfhx4oPsI

Literally refuse to believe this is real

This specific strain of internet cringe is the worst. Imagine how many things had to go wrong in this person's life for them to ultimately contribute this song to humanity :( sheesh

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 22, 2024

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Geohotz is the guy who went to help Elon with Twitter search because it was so bad (gave woke results)

So geohotz was all “I’ll fix in two weeks” and then he was never heard from again

Also I remember Apple hired him when he was a wiz-kid who cracked the iOS protection, but they kicked him out like 3 months later

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Taima posted:

I've been playing through FF7 Rebirth on PS5 and all I can think about is how big of a mistake I'm making playing it now because if they give that game to Nixxes it's going to be stellar.

Square Enix does their ports inhouse, FF7R1's graphics options in-game are still entirely Textures: Low/High and Shadows: Low/High.

It also deliberately ignores loose engine.ini files so you have to put your changes into a pak, at least if you're not using FF7Hook.

Which is to say, I don't expect FF7R2 to be any different. Other SE games get more options, even other FF games, but the FF7R team doesn't seem to bother.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Well, poo poo. Thanks for the heads up!

e: as I play through FW I am still amazed at the near perfect frame timing and consistency. It's like the visual equivalent of swimming through butter. There's something magical about games that have high refresh and perfect frame timings (90 fps+ I would say, is fine)

It's like your brain trusts what you're seeing more. It's instantly more engaging in a way that's hard to communicate. Legitimately curious if anyone else feels the same way. It's imo one of the most important features that gets overlooked a lot.

It's not just the game either. Just going through the menus is absurdly smooth and satisfying :shrug: super solid port :cheers:

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 22, 2024

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Forbidden West runs fantastically out of the box on Linux via Proton, too. Unfortunately, there's no options for DLSS even with the binary Nvidia drivers, and I do notice a second or two of slight hitching on area transitions, so Proton likely yet has a nonexistent or incomplete DirectStorage implementation. Other than that, it's perfectly smooth so far at 1440p native res on a 3080. This was the litmus test for me to see if I could dump Windows for Linux, even for gaming, and so far it's passing with flying colors.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

istewart posted:

Forbidden West runs fantastically out of the box on Linux via Proton, too. Unfortunately, there's no options for DLSS even with the binary Nvidia drivers

IIRC there was some environment variable you needed to add in the Steam run options to get DLSS working on Linux in Cyberpunk—have you tried that?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Geohotz is the guy who went to help Elon with Twitter search because it was so bad (gave woke results)

So geohotz was all “I’ll fix in two weeks” and then he was never heard from again

Also I remember Apple hired him when he was a wiz-kid who cracked the iOS protection, but they kicked him out like 3 months later

He also is behind a DYI self driving car kit that is horrifying to know some idiots have in their cars today.

https://www.comma.ai/

It runs on loving cell phone hardware.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lowen SoDium posted:

He also is behind a DYI self driving car kit that is horrifying to know some idiots have in their cars today.

https://www.comma.ai/

It runs on loving cell phone hardware.

Oh that's right, trust your life to a Snapdragon 845. I remember him making Elon big mad, saying his self-driving was better than Tesla's:

He's weaponized cringe, but he's also "Elon Musk Antagonist", so who can say if he's good or bad

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

parasyte posted:

Square Enix does their ports inhouse, FF7R1's graphics options in-game are still entirely Textures: Low/High and Shadows: Low/High.

It also deliberately ignores loose engine.ini files so you have to put your changes into a pak, at least if you're not using FF7Hook.

Which is to say, I don't expect FF7R2 to be any different. Other SE games get more options, even other FF games, but the FF7R team doesn't seem to bother.

Looking forward to Rebirth's Upcaling: Off/Nearest Neighbor option

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Oh that's right, trust your life to a Snapdragon 845. I remember him making Elon big mad, saying his self-driving was better than Tesla's:

He's weaponized cringe, but he's also "Elon Musk Antagonist", so who can say if he's good or bad

He willingly worked for musk twitter. Bad.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah I don't think he's an antagonist as much as he desperately wants to be Elon Musk.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Kazinsal posted:

Geohotz is the guy who managed to accidentally crack the first gen iPhone and create the first iOS jailbreak as a teenager and has spent 20 years since coasting on that.

Subjunctive posted:

He did the PS3 after that too, I think.

Nah, in both these cases he did something like: find a project which other people built, briefly join and make minor contributions, break away and release a copy of the community's work while making enough noise to convince the public it's all him.

https://social.treehouse.systems/@marcan/109561314682149814

When he got hired by Musk to do something to Twitter's code and quickly began asking the Internet to do his job for him? That wasn't really a degradation in his personal abilities at all, that's all he's ever been.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Man for a while I was wondering whether I'd wasted money on getting the 4070 Ti super. But I've spent hours and hours in Cyberpunk just looking at path- and raytracing. Really got back some childlike wonder. I wish I hadn't played through Alan Wake 2 already. Might try out Battlefield V again, but tbqh WW2 games hit too close to home for me and may send me spiral into obsessively reading about massacres and pitying the human condition. IDK might do minecraft instead, but only the lovely bedrock edition does raytracing.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Lord Stimperor posted:

Man for a while I was wondering whether I'd wasted money on getting the 4070 Ti super. But I've spent hours and hours in Cyberpunk just looking at path- and raytracing. Really got back some childlike wonder. I wish I hadn't played through Alan Wake 2 already. Might try out Battlefield V again, but tbqh WW2 games hit too close to home for me and may send me spiral into obsessively reading about massacres and pitying the human condition. IDK might do minecraft instead, but only the lovely bedrock edition does raytracing.

If you aren't sick of the Far Cry formula, the new Avatar game is a nice graphical showcase.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Lord Stimperor posted:

I was the same with my 4080. Just looking at stuff and walking around cooing
There are some Cyberpunk mods that make the path tracing even more of an eye-popper too. It's quite the rabbit hole though
It's worth trying Minecraft imo, even if just for a "wander about looking at things" session. Maybe fire up your Alan Wake save and have a look round the diner. That really brew me away.
Other's that I've used to satiate my graphics wonderment are Metro Exodus, RE Village, Control, Spider Man, Portal, Quake, A Plague Tale.
Not tried Avatar yet though. I might get that subscription thing for a month when I have the time. Can't see myself getting the full price out of the game, and there's nothing on Ubi that will make me want it for more than a month.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 23, 2024

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Sigh I bought the windforce v2 4090, and yeah it's ridiculous. It basically fires up fans only during benchmarks, and maybe CyberPunk at max settings (whatever they are, still not sure about Path Tracing/RT differences, but running tests is fun :goonsay:) . stupid powerful card

Honestly I feel a bit bad paying MSRP for an "old" tech product, but oh well, it's kind of amazing.

The 12VPHWR cable had 4 ext connections o_0 I'd only seen them with 3.

I only plugged in 3 cables, from what I understand it prevents overclocking but increases safety for a bit. what is this cat of 9 tails cable bs

pictured upcoming cable for the 5090

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

YerDa Zabam posted:

Other's that I've used to satiate my graphics wonderment are Metro Exodus, RE Village, Control, Spider Man, Portal, Quake, A Plague Tale.

Metro Exodus is interesting because it was one of the first RTX titles, and the 2080 was the big card that it was showcased with. As a result it still looks really loving good on 2080-equivilent hardware today, and does a lot to highlight what less ambitious, more limited RT can still add to games.

The shadows from lamps are what got me. Realistic shadows cast by lamps with different types of light and different shapes of shades and covers on them, plus swinging in a train.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Control looks so quaint even after maxing everything out on a modern card when compared to AW2. I can't wait to see how much of a generational leap Control 2 is going to be

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Once in a while Dying Light 2 just really nails the lighting streaming in to otherwise shadowed or indoor areas and it makes you stop and just look around because its dynamic lighting that isn't broken in some fundamental video gamey way that it always was before.

There was always this jank around the edges in dynamic lighting where some shadow or light broke/leaked/etc, pretty much not seeing that in a game anymore is simply amazing. It makes me want to see RTX remix in some 2005-2015 era games that otherwise still look largely acceptable but have that lighting jank. Like what would Far Cry 2 look like with RTX global illumination (and a rust filter delete).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

pictured upcoming cable for the 5090

Actually a dude in the retrogaming thread made a 5090 cable.

wa27 posted:

I decided to take a cue from this vid and make myself a power squid.

Though I simplified and instead of making size adapters and using polarity inverters, I just cut the end off and wired it up to a new 5.5/2.1 tip with opposite polarity. It's probably easier to just buy a Triad PSU and split that, but I had a spare Sony one sitting around.

I've got NES, Genesis, PC-E, and SFC hooked up at once through this, with room for one more if I ever want to add the Master System or Famicom. It feels good to eliminate wall warts!

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

njsykora posted:

Yeah, lets push 60 amps through some barrel connectors, what's the worst that could happen?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Indiana_Krom posted:

Yeah, lets push 60 amps through some barrel connectors, what's the worst that could happen?

Which barrel connector is going to get 60 amps? They’re each in one system which presumably worked with under 15A draw individually. I’m more worried about that sweet spot where they all join to the thicker wire…

But of course his breaker is probably going to trip at 20A tops, so it’s likely just some plastic smoke and not a real good house fire.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

njsykora posted:

Hope the power is super clean, I was never happy with using a switch mode psu on my mega drive, so I went back to a linear psu, after all that's what they were designed around, they're not expecting any junk on the line

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

You mean like fluctuating voltages?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

change my name posted:

Control looks so quaint even after maxing everything out on a modern card when compared to AW2. I can't wait to see how much of a generational leap Control 2 is going to be
Alan Wake 2 is already an amazing looking game and it's not restricted by being indoors the whole time like Control is

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

If I ever have to slowly unpaint ghosts with a flash light again I'm gonna flip the table

Enos Cabell posted:

If you aren't sick of the Far Cry formula, the new Avatar game is a nice graphical showcase.

YerDa Zabam posted:

I was the same with my 4080. Just looking at stuff and walking around cooing
There are some Cyberpunk mods that make the path tracing even more of an eye-popper too. It's quite the rabbit hole though
It's worth trying Minecraft imo, even if just for a "wander about looking at things" session. Maybe fire up your Alan Wake save and have a look round the diner. That really brew me away.
Not tried Avatar yet though. I might get that subscription thing for a month when I have the time. Can't see myself getting the full price out of the game, and there's nothing on Ubi that will make me want it for more than a month.

I quite like open world games so I might try Avatar. Control and Spiderman are on my Steam account, could give those a try as well. Might also try Metro - although the first ones were pretty intense buttclenchers and I just wanna vie atm.

Actually I reinstalled Wreckfest. Doesn't have RTX to my knowledge but it goes at 144Hz. Blazing through a cloud of debris, dust, and flying track barricades with everything going butter smooth is such a pleasing experience. Not sure how I can stomach simulators in VR now lol.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 23, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They changed the combat for AW2

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I know and they made it worse imo. Specifically the part with Alan.

AW1 was fine, AW2 the parts with the lady were perfect. But when playing Alan I'd walk around the corner, hold the flashlight at ghosts for five minutes, walk 10 steps forward, hold the flashlight at ghosts again. Backtrack through an area you were in earlier? Rinse repeat. To me the Alan-parts were gruelling tedium. I guess you were supposed to play them in an action-oriented way and actually try to fight the ghosts instead of shooing them away, but idk that went against my gut instincts. Have to conserve ammo and all that :shepspends:

I loved the game from start to finish but I almost went insane advancing with Alan through the Metro, practically meter by meter

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lord Stimperor posted:

AW1 was fine, AW2 the parts with the lady were perfect. But when playing Alan I'd walk around the corner, hold the flashlight at ghosts for five minutes, walk 10 steps forward, hold the flashlight at ghosts again. Backtrack through an area you were in earlier? Rinse repeat. To me the Alan-parts were gruelling tedium. I guess you were supposed to play them in an action-oriented way and actually try to fight the ghosts instead of shooing them away, but idk that went against my gut instincts. Have to conserve ammo and all that :shepspends:

I loved the game from start to finish but I almost went insane advancing with Alan through the Metro, practically meter by meter

You can just run by enemies as Alan without engaging them

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

pyrotek posted:

Considering it uses 20Gbps memory but clocked at 18Gbps speeds, the card should actually be a good overclocker when everything gets unlocked.

That indeed ended up being a pretty nice jump in performance

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Alan metro level was annoying, if for no other reason than often it’s not clear what you need to do to progress

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

HalloKitty posted:

Hope the power is super clean, I was never happy with using a switch mode psu on my mega drive, so I went back to a linear psu, after all that's what they were designed around, they're not expecting any junk on the line

How did you determine your linear PSU provides better regulation than your SMPS? This is not a given.

And how do you know the Mega Drive wasn't designed for some PSU noise? Chips from that era are typically specced for 5V +/- 10%, which is 4.5V to 5.5V. So power supply noise can be as bad as 1V peak-to-peak!

Honestly, your worst noise issue with either kind of PSU is likely to be the locally generated digital switching noise on the Mega Drive's motherboard. The solution to an excess of that is to recap it, since when that's a problem, it's typically due to old and tired electrolytic bypass caps.

Fake edit: looked poo poo up before hitting post, apparently the original Mega Drive PSU is 9-10V unregulated. That means there's some DC-to-DC regulation happening on the Mega Drive's motherboard, which in turn means you really do not have to worry about linear vs SMPS in the wall wart!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
What's more baffling I'd why that person didn't just get a $30 guitar pedalboard power supply off AliExpress, given that as I recall the consoles of that generation all used 9V positive tip AC adaptors (I used to steal the wall warts from my consoles to power my distortion pedals)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

pyrotek posted:

Given that you can pick those up for like $500, that's got to be the price/performance king right there if those numbers are at all common.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Stimperor posted:

I got to the Alan level last night in the subway and was very tempted to look up a guide for the first time, the scene-changing stuff is nonsense. It's easy enough to juke the ghosts on Hard but "guess what random poo poo the level designers had in mind" is whack.

I don't have the patience for games like this and BG3 where the story/graphics are solid and the gameplay is inching along clunkily while I pull up a map every 5 seconds. Outside of From Soft it's been dire lately.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

BobHoward posted:

How did you determine your linear PSU provides better regulation than your SMPS? This is not a given.

And how do you know the Mega Drive wasn't designed for some PSU noise? Chips from that era are typically specced for 5V +/- 10%, which is 4.5V to 5.5V. So power supply noise can be as bad as 1V peak-to-peak!

Honestly, your worst noise issue with either kind of PSU is likely to be the locally generated digital switching noise on the Mega Drive's motherboard. The solution to an excess of that is to recap it, since when that's a problem, it's typically due to old and tired electrolytic bypass caps.

Fake edit: looked poo poo up before hitting post, apparently the original Mega Drive PSU is 9-10V unregulated. That means there's some DC-to-DC regulation happening on the Mega Drive's motherboard, which in turn means you really do not have to worry about linear vs SMPS in the wall wart!

It was probably a garbage tier switching psu, it came with the console when I picked it up. I have to admit, I didn't try another smps, I just picked up a very old original one, which immediately fixed the image quality issue

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

pyrotek posted:

Do games show similar gains? I haven't seen anything but that 3DMark graph

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

Do games show similar gains? I haven't seen anything but that 3DMark graph

Very interesting. I guess I missed the bit where memory oc became possible on gre. This is going to be the value winner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

HalloKitty posted:

Very interesting. I guess I missed the bit where memory oc became possible on gre. This is going to be the value winner

It all depends on where pricing settles. We've had the 7900XT hit $699 repeatedly, I think the XT is easily worth a $50 premium over the GRE.

When the 7900XT gets cheaper than the 4070S, there's a real case for it.