Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hace posted:

I'm more upset about the gsync thing tbqh

What was this? That you'll be able to use GSync without a different monitor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

ChiTownEddie posted:

I am doing a system rebuild but was going to keep my old gfx card for a bit longer, a GTX 670.
Since my build is coming in at much cheaper than I expected I am curious about upgrade options for it now. How large of a performance gain would a 250-300$ card get me? Is there a new batch coming out in the first half of 2016 that would be worth waiting for instead?

E: That looks like an awkward spot for cards. I guess is it a meaningful upgrade to go from a 670 to a 960? Or would it be better to just hold off?

Everyone's opinions will vary, but I just went from a 570 to a cheap 770 with the intent of holding of for Nvidia's Pascal line coming sometime mid 2016. The Pacal line is being driven as a major boost, though marketing speak can make lots of promises right now.

If your 670 isn't giving you problems I sorta feel like we are in a better-than-normal position to wait vs other times in a release cycle. If you aren't happy with your 670, though, its probably not worth it to wait 6-12 months for the next generation card. I wanted the hardware-encoding capabilities for Steamlink and the 570 can't do that, otherwise I would have tried holding off.

I'd probably not get a 960 though. See if your budget can stretch to a 970 or look AMD.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

ChiTownEddie posted:

1080p and I am 90% sure it is a 2GB card. My first gaming on it will be DA:I so I'm about a year behind on 'current games' haha.

My original card was a 5870 but it started to have cooling and noise issues so I had to get a new-to-me card and got a used 670 figuring I'd be rebuilding my PC eventually. I'm very much in the middle on "needing" an upgrade. Heck, even if you guys convince me to get a new card I'll just be checking daily for a sale to hit before buying something anyway.

E: And to be clear, I came to you guys because I haven't kept up with the market recently and don't know (besides a nice RAM upgrade) what the newer cards will gain for me. I am not opposed to buying something now AND selling/upgrading when the new batch hits...but if the upgrade now is marginal that extra effort isn't worth it to me. Does that make sense?

Yeah, I mean, you're right on the line. I'd say wait until your not happy then pull the trigger, you'll probably save more money than waiting for a deal. But either way, I think you're on the line so its up to you.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Is it really a year away? Goddamn, I want to replace my 290(non-x) and all the upgrade paths just don't seem worthwhile at the time.

Practically speaking. They will probably have something out in Q2, but it will probably be expensive and it'll take 3-6 more months before the other lines start coming in and the price stabilizing around the Budget/Mid/High/Ultra prices.

Or not, who knows?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Will Nvidia ever patch the 980ti to use VESA/Intel/AMD Adaptive Sync though

It would instantly make GSync obsolete, so they won't do that unless they are completely ready to declare defeat.

So no, probably not anytime soon.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

SlayVus posted:

Personal suggestion, sell your cards before retail release if the reviews for Pascal were like Maxwell. 2nd market for 600/700 series saw a 50% reduction in price because of Maxwell. Better to lose some money instead of a whole video card amount of money.

Still, we're looking at getting the top model Pascal first when it releases. If you're not looking to spend the $$$$ to early adopt you could be without a video card if you sell before Pascal hits.

Are you suggesting sell now and not have a GPU until Pascal hits? I would urge against that, Pascal isn't releasing for months and it would not be surprising to not see cards priced effectively until the summer.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

E.J.Olmos posted:

Ok sounds like the 970 will do the job then.. unless the next generation are actually really near to being out? I see the 900 series was 2014 so over a year and a half old now.

So I was in a similar boat as you with a 570, and what I did was buy a used 770 and sell my 570. I intend to ride that out until the 1070(or whatever) is available and then jump there. The alternative is the 970 (which would be a gigantic step up for you) and riding that out for longer. I think either path is pretty solid.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Alternatively, when I was in the same boat I found a GTX770 in the US for about $100 that would be a significant step up from your old 560ti and would bridge you pretty well until you wanted to get something better. I run 1440p with it now and I'm pretty happy.

Dunno where in the UK you are, but a quick look found this on London CL
http://london.craigslist.co.uk/sop/5451027977.html

So I think you could find something equivalent pretty easy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Voodoo Rush owner checking in. I had one in my Compaq P-75 running Windows 3.1. One night at like 2am I finally got OpenGL Glide Mechwarrior 2 Mercs running from DOS. That was a glorious sight to behold.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Hope some good news comes out soon. My new build is sitting GPU-less (aint putting my 560ti in there).

I read somewhere about some guy saying if you dont wanna game above 1080p stick with an older card like a 770? Sounds dumb cause new games wouldn't work as well, eh?

I got a 770 for about $100 6 months ago in anticipation of a 1070 sometime this fall. I run at 1440p and the 770 is pretty solid. No problems with FO4 or XCom2 or anything. You can't run at max settings, but pretty close. If your computer is just sitting there unusable I'd do a 770 while you wait for the 10xx.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

slidebite posted:

That said, I can't wait to see real-world performance.

Same, I have a 2500k and a GTX 770. It's working well now, but depending on what the real benchmarks show this is probably time to jump.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

PCs have been better performance per dollar than consoles for ages now, but we're *almost* to the point where they can be strictly better at the same price point.

Like, the PS4.5 is expected to drop for $400.

Now here's the cheapest PC I can whip up that's not crap:

I think your general thought is good, but Mirror's Edge will require a quad core and will also be on consoles. I'd expect in a couple years more games will have that requirement.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Mazz posted:

So if the 1080 reference card has some marketing magic done to raise the price $100, and with nothing else being available for awhile until the BPs get to it for aftermarket, does that mean the original sub $400 price is kinda just quietly going away? Or will we see it when they get around to the BP poo poo-tier blower cards?

Having been keeping up every page and getting a little confused.

Its way to early to start trying to throw NVidia under the bus. They set an MSRP, and in order to not compete with their partners they have priced their reference cards above that (not at all uncommon in many industries).

I doubt NVidia is going to try to corner the market on manufacturing the cards, so give the partners a chance to release their product before starting all the hand-wringing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

GSync is actually best for people who don't upgrade their GPU very often, which is unfortunate it has such a premium on price because it's a decent way to attempt to future proof. I am running a GTX770 right now so if my FPS drops from 60->45 it's really not that big of a deal and far less noticeable.

You can get an Acer XB270HU for $450 from their refurb site, which isn't too bad for a 27" 1440 monitor. The Acer's tend to have some backlight bleed though, which is unfortunate.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

They pack their refurbs like poo poo though, I think it's deliberate to try and get Fedex/UPS to pay out insurance on crappy panels. Their retail units are packed much, much better and that's the most obvious reason why they'd do that.

You have the weirdest paranoid fantasies about hardware suppliers. I got two from Acer (the first had a non-shipping related blemish) and they both were packed fine. The QC from the Acer refurb is not very good, but they also accepted the return easily so all it cost was some time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I figured that they don't have 3 way and 4 way SLI working the way they want yet so it's software locked. They would tell the press this so that people stop spreading the "1080 can only do 2-way SLI!" rumor, the 1080/1070 might not have it at launch but the hardware can do it once Nvidia gets it working properly.

I suspect this is correct, but if they did want to lock features behind a license 3/4-way SLI is where I'd want them to start because I don't give a poo poo about that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I have a 2500k I bought in 2011 and I don't think a 1070 will outpace an OC'd 2500k. I don't think it's like it was 6-10 years ago when you had to upgrade in a rotation, more or less.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Even if the 1080 is the best GPU by a mile for GPU, it still won't be nearly enough to cover your electricity. Specialized mining equipment has taken over for the last couple years.

Other cryptos can use the GPU, but those never last more than a few weeks before the exit scam commences.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

1070 is probably going to be the most appropriate and popular choice in Nvidia's lineup once again. I'm not surprised at the release schedule this time around since the 970/980 "issue" when they were reviewed at the exact same time nobody really wanted a 980 at all - for good reason. The 980 actually gained a long last rep as a bad card though, even though of course it wasn't it was just not nearly as good a value as the 970, so releasing this way probably avoids some of that

edit: in fact if you imagined them doing the same thing they're doing now back then the 980 would be received in the same sort of fanfare (in some respects anyway), since the 980 too trumped the 780ti in every regard which was also at the time the fastest single chip gpu

Except the 1070 will be released well before 1080 stock is stabilized. I don't think a couple week delay is going to make a huge difference in the market share.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I know everyone is going off the angle "NVidia is doing the Founders Edition to bilk more money out of the consumer" but I really don't think that's true, and every move (from the pricing, to the release, to the design) indicates they DON'T want it to be a commonly purchased card. I am guessing they are trying to make the reference design stop being a competitor to the vendor cards. Maybe it was part of a deal for higher licensing fees or something, or maybe it's part of a marketing ploy to make the OC cards priced better by giving them some real estate in the pricing to move around.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Blackfyre posted:

So do people still think its worth waiting for the 1080Ti if I currently have a 980Ti or should I just get a 1080 then see what pennies I can get for my 980Ti now? (I really have no idea what they would be going for now over here in the UK used anymore its probably almost worthless?)

I think for most people the jump from a 980ti to a 1080 is probably not going to make sense for the money spent, but its all up to you. The nice thing is, no driver change will occur to suddenly make a 980ti work any differently than it did before, so it was a nice card 3 weeks ago and it'll be a nice card 3 weeks from now!

In the US, used 980ti's are going for $400-$500 USD still, so they still have pretty good value if you absolutely need to have bleeding edge.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Siets posted:

This is where I was at as well. Glad I'm not the only one a bit disappointed in the 4K benchmarks.

Still, it's a massive boost over my current GTX 770, and I'm more interested in VR than going full 4K at the moment. I'm thinking of just spoiling myself with a 1080 now, and looking at doing an upgrade to 4K in another 3 years once the GPUs trivialize it, HBM is standard, and the rest of my PC is in need of an upgrade.

I'm in the same boat as you, but I am going to resist a 1080 just because of how big a jump to the 1070 will be for me. A 770->1080 might be too far into diminishing returns for the difference vs money.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Siets posted:

Which reviews can I look at to read more about this? I was thinking of going Founders preorder because I don't want to wait and I'm scared all the buttcoin miners are going to hoover up all of the stock. Is the Founders card really that gimped? A lot of the talk in this thread goes way over my head unfortunately.

Bitcoin mining on a GPU will not be profitable. There was an offhand comment that this GPU is better than other GPUs, but GPUs were left in the dust years ago by ASICs, and the 10xx series won't change that. Other cryptos occasionally use GPU mining, but nothing else is big enough to make a dent in the market.

I mean, get what you want but don't spend money because you're afraid of GPU mining suddenly becoming a thing again.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

As long as there are AIB cards available at MSRP and some decent ones (EVGA SSC, MSI Gaming, Gigabyte Windforce non-G1, etc) below the FE on launch day my expectations will be satisfied.

This has literally never happened in my memory on launch day. Vendors and re-sellers are going to be buying up the stock and there will be shortages. There always is for a new gen of cards like this.

If there is stock within a couple weeks are you satisfied? Or does it not meet your weird, never-happened-before expectations?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Bleh Maestro posted:

The 1070 is looking pretty good no? They posted the specs.

They posted the specs, but no benchmarks. I'm a little worried about the performance given the limited bus and non GDDR5X RAM. There's no point in getting your heart set on anything now, anyway.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

I just want good price/performance in a 200-300 dollar card.

Used 970s are probably going to be the best bet, depending on what AMD announces.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

And SLI would be great, if VR SLI was a thing yet. :negative:

Until then, I feel we are sort of stuck with waiting to see what the 1080Ti offers and how it performs in VR.

Now if you aren't using VR at all. Then go hog wild. My 780 SLI setup could run anything I threw at them at 1440P ultra so SLI 980Ti's would be stupid good.

Also if the 980Ti is roughly equal to a 1070, wouldn't that make them just a hair cheaper than a 1070 which would probably be around the $400+ range itself for a while?

New 980ti's are still 500+ right now, and I don't think you'll see them crater out much below $500 due to the SLI upgrade path + production being halted for a while now. Comparing a used 980ti vs a new 1070 might be pretty close, but I don't think that's a totally fair comparison. The MSRP for a 1070 is $379, and while you probably won't get that at launch I don't think your going to be waiting too long before you'll find some at MSRP.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ninkobei posted:

Smaller fabrication process should lead to cheaper cards, not more expensive ones, since more chips are created using the same size wafer

Material cost isn't a huge driving factor in the MSRP.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

The chip cost is tiny though, I think its something like $15 for an actual chip. Its the billions upon billions spent on R&D for the factory, the chip design, the technology involved to get to that point that we are paying for. I think the cooler costs more in materials than the GPU itself in every case, sometimes many times more.

Testing too. It gets more and more expensive to test and identify defects when you pack more and more transistors in.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The solution continues to be "Don't Buy a Founders Edition"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Can we just change the thread title to: "Don't Buy Founders Edition"?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

OC that 2500k to at least 4GHZ, even a stock heatsink should hit that with a .05 volt increase. I've been running mine stand with an aftermarket heatsink at 4.4 since 2011.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Inno3D posted a thing

If this is the target, it sounds like the "value for money" sweet spot will be:

1080 ->GTX1060
1440 ->GTX1070
4k ->GTX1080

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Apparently, which is why it seems like total bullshit to me. The AIDA64 people have a complete list of device IDs and it includes GP102 parts, and what would that be if not a Titan/1080 Ti?

http://videocardz.com/60289/breaking-news-aida64-developers-confirm-pascal-gp102-gp106-gp107-and-gp108

Also, the Inno3D list doesn't even include the GTX 1070 which has been publically confirmed/reviewed/launch date set, sooooo

The first 10xx in that list is probably the 1070. The list was supposedly from the 1070 embargo time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

AMD stock prices tumble to lows that haven't been seen since May 27th!

Though if investors aren't enthused it's because they are questioning AMD playing in a space that usually doesn't have a great margin. Investors don't care if the card is a great bang-for-your-buck, they care if it will create profit, and announcing two cards in the $200 and $250 slot usually don't drive tons of profit.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

AotS is also well optimized for DX12, so it's one of the better games to test that. I don't know what else may be well optimized, but lots of games run slower with DX 12 vs DX 11.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

afkmacro posted:

When I can actually buy a 1070 AIB at a reasonable price? my 280x is dying. :(

Unless something changed I believe the answer is "you cannot". The release was really just a few days ago, and right now the FE is the only card that has any availability, and even that is scarce at best. If you can limp along for a few weeks you may see some trickle out, though I think the manufacturers and retailers will continue to take advantage of the outstripped supply and charge a premium for a while.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If I'm buying a new monitor and a new GPU at the same time in the next few months, what would y'all recommend?

I've been using a 24" 1920*1200 display for a decade but it seems like all the new cards are overkill for that. Purpose is just general home use / gaming.

These sell for $450 refurbed, though you need to keep checking for them to come in stock. I had luck in the mornings.
http://acerrecertified.com/UM.HB0AA.001

Pair that with a 1070 when they are available for around $400.

$850 for drat good 1440 setup. Or you could do a lot with a $200 27" Chinese Monitor and a $200 GPU too, totally depends on your budget.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Jesus, 1070s are in the mid $400s?

How much of a discount are they from the 1080s? Isn't there a pretty significant performance gap?

MSRP starts at $379, I bet before too long there will be decent AIBs under $400. "Before too long" might be Autumn though...

The 1080 (or any top-end card) is not a "value play" card, and the top-end will never be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Gameko posted:

I'm seeing more and more of the flagship 1070 cards available from evga/msi/Asus. They're all breaking $400, and some are up at $450. Is that msrp or is that the early worm price gouge? (Yes, I know msrp for the 1070 stock is $379. Kind of shocked custom cooler fans are shoving the price up to $460 or more.)

$400 is about the lowest you should expect for a non-lovely card. $379 will be the barebones one. The higher end ones will go up from there. There is some premium pricing going on right now due to demand outstripping supply, but on the other hand don't expect the cards to drop $50+ dollars anytime soon.