Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

movax posted:

Threw the eVGA 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 on nowinstock -- I bet it's still mid-July, if not August until I can get one. :smith:

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6173-KR was briefly in stock about 20 minutes ago and I was lucky to get an order in.

It sold out in about 15 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
I just put my 1070 in this evening and I've been liking what I'm seeing performance wise.
Right now I'm running at 1920x1080 and the card is handling everything I throw at it.

My 3DMark score on Fire Strike is more than twice that on the 960. 15234 vs 7087.

The card only got up to 73°C with the fan on auto and hitting 30%.
When I manually set the fans to 50% the card barely hit 60°C on Fire Strike.

According to GPU-Z the max power consumption the card got to during the first run was 96.2% TDP.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

AndrewP posted:

Finally fired up a brand new AAA game (Witcher 3) on my 1080p TV to actually make my 1070 work. This is my first gaming PC, coming from PS4.

So this is what I've been missing. JESUS CHRIST this game is pretty.
I was playing around a little with Rise of the Tomb Raider on my 1070 with everything on Ultra. The game is very nice looking and getting an average of 101 fps at 1920x1080.

I really need a new monitor.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

KingKapalone posted:

I guess there wasn't much of a point in trying to learn how to OC my Gigabyte G1 1070.

Valley (Pre-OC)
FPS: 89.5
Score: 3745

Valley (Post-OC)
FPS: 90.9
Score: 3802

Here are the details of the OC:
Clock: 1595 -> 1700
Memory: 2002 -> 2292
Boost: 1785 -> 1890

Afterburner shows the clock at 2075 while running benchmark.

What resolution are you running at?
I'm at 1920x1080 and get this on Extreme HD(1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen):
FPS
Score:

I've got an EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 and have been pretty pleased with it.

What temps are you seeing when you stress the card?
With the fans on auto, mine hits about 72-73°C.
When I manually set them to 50% it barely gets over 60°.

My only issue with the card is it will sometimes get a coil whine from a cold boot that will not go away until I power the machine down and back up.
After that the whine will not come back no matter what I've been doing on the system.

Turmoil fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 10, 2016

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
I was lucky enough to get an EVGA RTX 3060 XC this week from their waitlist.
Nice card and a decent upgrade over my old 1070.

One word of caution is that the DisplayPort connectors are closer together.

The cables I had been using for years on the 1070 had connectors that were 22mm wide. They wouldn't fit side-by-side on the 3060.
Luckily I had a pair of cables with connectors that were 21mm wide and they work without issue.

Turmoil fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 6, 2021

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

? vacuuming at all near circuitry is asking for static electricity and shorts

i only clean the inside of my pc when i'm modifying something inside, so every few years. never more than a small layer of dust at the bottom that most people accumulate in a month going by posts/images. but that's always on, dust filters, decent idle fan speed, off the ground, etc

it's really going to depend on dust filters, constant fan activity, location, relative temperature, humidity and if any pets shed

I take mine outside and blow it out with the air compressor. I take care to hold the fans when I do.
Never had a problem with that.

Years ago a friend's computer was quite dusty inside and we took it into his garage to use the shop vac on it.
I think there was a loose screw floating around the case that found a new home. When we hooked everything back up and hit the power button there was a crackling.

I know the MB was fried. PSU was okay and I think the drives were okay too.
He at least got a new machine that was a lot faster.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

poverty goat posted:

using a regular garage type air compressor carries the same static electricity risk, plus some of your humidity ends up spraying out the nozzle as tiny water droplets

I've been doing it for decades without any noticeable issues. Water isn't a concern since I have a water/dust trap on the line.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Used 3060s have flooded the chinese market, but it's not the same with the 3080 as far as I'm aware.

Anyway, no, there's still no reliable way to get a 3080 that isn't heavily marked up, nor will there be for several more months at least.

Also props to Gigabyte for being the board partner with the lowest markup on the newegg shuffle. Saw some $400 3060s on there the other day, and there's some $900 3080s and $1200 3080 Tis today (gasp, MSRP!). Granted, they're still forcing you to buy some useless motherboards and poo poo alongside them, but it's still better than the bullshit Asus, EVGA, MSI, and Zotac have been pulling.

I ended up getting an Asus KO 3070 and a Strix Z590 MB that isn't half bad from the shuffle.
MB is going into a media editing PC so at least it's getting some use.

The markup was not the best, but at least I can sell my other card and make some of it back.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
This week I upgraded from a 3060 to a 3070 and do not regret it one bit.

The 3060 was a decent enough upgrade from a 1070, but it felt like the 3070 was a similar jump from the 3060.
Both cards do well with what I was throwing at them, but the 3070 is noticeably faster in the benchmarks I've run on it.

Both cards are two fan cards, but the 3070 has a larger heat sink and deals with temps a lot better.
I always felt like the 3060 was running a little too hot for what it was doing. I hit the high 70s in the Civilization VI graphic benchmark with it when the 3070 barely gets to 70.

Same case for both with two 140mm fans pulling air in from the front blowing at the CPU and GPU.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
The 3060Ti is a good card. This was just a stock 3060.
If I had gotten 3060Ti in the first place, I'd be less likely to have gone for the 3070.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

AppleNippleBOB posted:

Do you have plans for that old 3060?
my 1650 isn't the strongest workhorse.

I listed it on eBay and it's doing fairly well right now.

Depending on your budget and location the NewEgg shuffle might work out for you.
That's how I got the 3070. First time I tried it too.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
I remember getting two Canopus Pure3D II cards in 1998 to SLI them.
The Canopus card was just 3D so you ran a pass-through from your 2D card into it and then the Pure3D to your monitor.

It looked like crap(interlaced) so I did that for a little while and regretted spending that much on two cards.
A single card was just fine so I ran with that. I think I sold the other one to a friend at a loss.

When I finally got a TNT2 I was so glad to have a 2D and 3D card all-in-one.

I had the TNT2 until I got Giants: Citizen Kabuto and the TNT2 didn't have enough memory so only rendered half the textures.
I got a GeForce 2 and then went to a Radeon X800 GTO that I flashed to unlock it and make it slightly better card.

I went back to NVidia after that.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

AppleNippleBOB posted:

You were right this time.

We'll see how it goes next time.

Are discords still a way that people get them? Do I need to setup a bot somehow? (*I don't work from home, but can usually see/use my phone)

I lucked out on my 3070. First time I tried the shuffle I got it.
It was a combo with a motherboard that wasn't horrible.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
I had CRTs up until early 2010.

Had a smaller 4:3 LCD at work for a few years before that and would go home to my 17" flat CRT and hated how blurry it looked.
When I got a LCD at home it was a game changer and I couldn't stand to watch anything on the regular TVs anymore.
Later that year I got a 40" LCD TV and found someone who wanted my 26" CRT TV and was happy to part with it.

I would never want to go back to a CRT that gets blurrier as time goes on.

I do miss the degaussing sound. Recordings don't do it justice.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Lord Stimperor posted:

The Steam Deck controllers aren't detachable right? I'm very curious about how that is going to feel. I get pain in my wrist & thumb when I use the Switch in handheld mode after a modest amount of time. Maybe the Steam Deck is more ergonomically formed, but I'd still prefer if you could detach the controllers and use them like a gamepad.

I would hope you can bind a controller to it.

It doesn't have a kickstand though so you'd have to prop it up or use it in a dock.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

track day bro! posted:

Same

I've been debating if I want to change the fans on mine for noctuas, but I have a feeling that either because I'm using a meshify case the fans are gonna be louder. Or one is just plugged into the wrong header and I'm too lazy to start pulling things apart again. Also I'm now thinking I should shove the drat gpu cable down a bit like you've done.

I'm pretty pleased with the Fractal fans.
I replaced the 120 mm front fan in my Meshify C case with two Dynamic X2 GP-14 PWM 140mm fans and everything is very quiet. Good airflow in the case and the CPU and GPU stay cool.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Paul MaudDib posted:

new Plex server card just dropped

I just built a new Plex server and we just stream everything from it.
Onboard graphics is more than enough for it.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

toms hardware and hardware unboxed have both been tracking ebay prices. I casually check in every so often too, and the price decline that may have been happening a couple months ago has long since stalled and it has stayed that way. There was actually a dip in prices right after that huge Best Buy FE drop with a lot of 3080s going for $1300 or less, but that dip has ended and we're back to most 3080s being sold in the $1500 range, with a bunch that are going for higher prices and only a small handful of lower-priced sales. Basically, it's right where it's been for most of these last two or three months.

Ethereum is back on the rise, so I bet there's a lot of people still holding on, refusing to give up on mining. And basically none of the supply chain and production-related issues have been solved, and Biden is not interested in lifting the tariffs Trump imposed, so we're just in purgatory here. Get comfy because it's gonna stay like this for quite a while.

I recently sold my 3060 on ebay for way more than it was worth. I think having the KR in the model instead of KL helped. Its id is 2504.
Double edged sword for miners buying all the cards, but also being greedy and dumb.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

mutata posted:

The EVGA 3080s and 3090s (and the 3090 FE for that matter) all run notoriously hot out of the box.

The EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC GAMING that I had for a bit ran pretty hot too.
Replaced it with a Asus KO-RTX3070 and it ran 5-10° cooler running the same benchmarks.

That was with the Precision X1 on the EVGA running with one of the quieter profiles and the Asus with 0dB turned off with whatever fan profile it uses.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Shifty Pony posted:

Some of them don't have the back panel of shame:

I'm pretty happy with Fractal's cases for cable management.

I had an Antec 1200 before and it was always a rat's nest of cables inside.

When I upgraded recently I went with a Meshify 2 Compact and it look's nice and clean inside.

And the back:

Airflow is great and the 3070 and CPU both idle under 35° and they don't get too warm when gaming.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Listerine posted:

I asked about UPS in the PC parts thread but never got an answer, maybe one of you guys can help me.

I've got a beefy power supply- 1500 or 1600 watts- that I got since I was planning to keep adding GPUs for rendering. The Cyberpower UPS I'm looking at is rated at 1000W. For someone who doesn't understand electricity at all, what would be the issue for plugging my computer with its 1500W PSU into a 1000W UPS. I've only got a 780 and a 2070 in there now, so I don't think I'm drawing north of a 1000W yet, but if I added one or two more cards, would the computer not be able to run at load while plugged into that UPS?

You could probably find a power calculator and guess about how much you'd be drawing based on the cards you want to add.
Like a pretty beefy Intel machine with two 3080s would be like 950 watts when maxed out.

I don't know what the Cyberpower does when going over the wattage. I know my APC was beeping like crazy when I was pulling about 400 watts on a UPS that maxed out at 360 watts. Edit: This was while the UPS was on AC power. On battery it probably would have shut down immediately, but overall it probably wasn't good for the electronics.

That was when I upgraded to a i7-11700k with a 3060 and was running the Shadow of the Tomb Raider benchmark.

I upgraded to a Cyberpower GX1500U that does 900W and going by the wattage usage on it, the most I use is about 500 watts when I have the 3070 running the same benchmark.

Normal gaming isn't as taxing as the benchmark, but I have no idea what type of power draw you'll see if you're using the cards for rendering.

Turmoil fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 18, 2021

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

repiv posted:

yes

literally nobody is going to actually trace rays on a phone, but they're using RDNA2 IP and it's probably not worth the trouble to redesign the CUs without RT units to save a fraction of die space

Razer Phone 3 rises from the grave at this news.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

is ebay still the best place to get scammed when selling or have they figured out how to fix that

I had a mostly good experience when I sold an EVGA 3060 on there earlier in the year.

Before the first bid, I was getting shady emails from people who were offering me more than my Buy Now price if I'd end the auction and sell it to them directly.
As soon as the first bid came in those stopped.

When I finally sold it, I recorded the whole boxing process and took pictures just in case. The person I sold it to had a good account history and was pleasant to deal with and had no issues.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
I've been running 497.29 since it came out and haven't had any issues with it or the previous few revisions.
This is with Windows 11 and an Asus 3070.

I upgraded my wife's machine to 497.29 the same day and a few days later it was having what I thought were driver issues, but it seems to be her 1660 is dying.

Walked in to the computer room Thursday morning and her machine was sitting at the recovery console. Tried restarting windows and was getting a variety of BSOD messages.

kmode exception not handled
system thread exception not handled
kernel auto boost invalid lock release
apc_index_mismatch

Took the card out of the computer and everything is running fine.

If I put the card back in the computer and even trying to boot to a USB stick will get me a BSOD error.

This is on a recently built computer, but her old PC was a bit quirky at times and looking back on it, it seems the GPU was the likely culprit.

Luckily it's still under warranty so I'll email EVGA next week.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

K8.0 posted:

DDU and reinstall before you conclude it's hardware. Nvidia's drivers have definitely been fucky of late. The USB boot makes it unlikely but... I'd still try.

It may be the PSU. It's an EVGA 750 G2 that's 6 years old. It's still under warranty, but I went ahead and bought a Corsair RM750x(2021) to replace it anyhow.

I took the card and put it in her old machine and it booted without a problem. Updated the drivers to 497.29 just to see if that broke it, but it still worked fine.
Ran Heaven for about 20 minutes without issue.

At least I'll find out on Wednesday if that was the issue, if not I'll do some more trouble shooting.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
Replaced the 6-year-old PSU in my wife's computer today and that seemed to be the culprit with the BSODs when the 1660 was hooked up.
I'm assuming it wasn't supplying enough power on the PCIe connector and that's what was causing the problem.

It's still under warranty from EVGA so I'll see about doing an RMA so I have a spare.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Cross-Section posted:

The one time I did this with my Gigabyte 3080 I ended up BSODing the system lol

Never happened again after I turned it off.

It seems to work pretty well with my ASUS TUF Gaming Z590-PLUS WIFI and KO-RTX3070-O8G-GAMING.
I have them linked to show GPU temp. Green up to 60°, yellow from 61° to 84°, and then red over 85°.

The only time I've seen it go yellow is when I'm running benchmarks. I hope to never see it go red.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

carry on then posted:

I enabled something like this with my ASUS board and it resulted in a constant 15% CPU usage so no.
I did see where a few years ago that was a problem with LightingService (32 bit), but they seem to have fixed that. Mine stays around 0.4%.

I don't mind the subtle lighting that I have now and it's about as much as I care for.
I have friends that the thought of not having a light show going on in their case is unthinkable.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

BurritoJustice posted:

Nah, just board partners being crazy with oc card power limits. The 3090Ti Kingpin has two PCIe 5.0 16-pin connectors, so a theoretical limit of 600W+600W+75W=1275W 12v. You'll likely need to flash the LN2 bios anyway.

Speaking of flashing the BIOS for more power.
I got a laugh out of the EVGA forums where someone was asking about flashing their 3080Ti's BIOS so it could draw 13 more watts of power because they're obsessed with increasing the performance by 5%.

Not sure how they think that'll all work.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

For selling a used card on Facebook Marketplace, how should I price it? From selling on there I know I will be lowballed by buyers, so should I list my GTX 1660 at $400 (which is pretty high given that Tom's Hardware article) to get ahead of that?

I just recently sold a 1660SC on eBay for $260. My payout was like $225 after fees.
I can't complain too much. The card was a little over 2 years old and worked well enough for what it did.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Psion posted:

speaking of the dual, I had my eye on the 4070 dual before the super refresh was announced and I'm now making bad choices and looking at the 4070 super ti instead. I don't see asus listing a 4070 super ti dual on their website right now, but does anyone know if there's a chance they're gonna make one?

I don't believe there was a non-Super Dual 4070 Ti .

For the Dual all I'm seeing is:
  • ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER
  • ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER OC Edition
  • ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER White
  • ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER White OC Edition
  • ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER EVO
  • ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER EVO OC Edition

I'm planning to go with a TUF 4070 Ti Super myself because I'm bad with money.

Seriously though, I would probably go with a Dual if it was available in Ti, but I do like the RGB on the TUF. My current Asus 3070 has it and I have it set up to go Green/Yellow/Red depending on the temp and it's nice to just glance at the case and see what it's doing when I'm gaming.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

gradenko_2000 posted:

Does anyone have any experience with a driver update messing up their multiple monitor setup? I updated my Nvidia drivers tonight for Enshrouded and now my second monitor won't get recognized. I already changed cables and HDMI ports.

Mine have been fine, but I use display port on both.
The only weirdness I had was with the taskbar and it was fixed with a reboot.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Lord Stimperor posted:

Alright, it's probably going to be the TUF one, stupid name or not. My case can take GPUs up to 320mm in length, so I've got a whopping 15mm to spare.

I ordered the TUF 4070 Ti Super and am getting it early next week. Replacing my ASUS KO 3070.

I have a Meshify 2 Compact(edit: wrong model) case and it looks like it should fit without a problem.
The new card is about 1.2 inches longer, which I've got plenty of room for. The height was what worried me, but then I found some pics of someone who has the regular version(same dimensions) in their case and it looks fine.

Getting the Corsair 12VHPWR Type-4 PSU Power Cable should help a lot too since it's not as bulky as using the adapter.

Turmoil fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 31, 2024

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
I got my ASUS TUF 4070 Ti Super tonight and got it installed without any issues.

It's huge compared to the ASUS KO 3070 that I had in there before, but it fit in my Fractal Meshify 2 Compact without any issues.
I have a Corsair RM850x PSU and ended up getting the Corsair 12VHPWR cable for it so I didn't have to use the adapter and had a straight run to the PSU.

It runs cooler than the old card, which I didn't think ran warm.
TimeSpy the old card's average temp was 69°C and the new card's average temp is 57°C.
Even right now I had the fans running and the car was 28°C and when I turned them off it slowly crept up to 33°C over 5 minutes.

The new card has a 3DMark score 57.5% higher than the old card. All the other hardware in the system is the same.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with it and look to keep this for a few years.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

pmchem posted:

how much distance are you all giving your 4xxxx series 12VPWR connectors before letting the cables bend inside the case?

there isn’t infinite room in the case to let those suckers run for like 2-3 inches before cables gotta start bending to a useful direction. i’m annoyed all the board have that connector pointing out from “top” of the card

I went with the individually sleeved cables from Corsair and they were the easiest to work with in my situation with the Asus TUF 4070 Ti Super.

I triple checked to make sure that connector was seated all the way.
I may redo this in the future, but I'm okay with it for now. The cable is coming straight out from the connecter and then make that turn without putting strain on the connector the way it's routing.

The 3 cables on the right are USB cables that had to go over the end of the card so there wasn't strain on MB connector.
When I had the 3070 it didn't extend out that far and the cables were just free to do their own thing.

All in all, I'm super happy with the card. It's super fast and runs super cool. I have it in 0dB mode and just normal web stuff(like posting right now) it hangs around 39°C.
Runs way cooler than the 3070 when gaming too.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
With the connector talk.

ASUS announced their BTF line that uses PCIe high power connector on the GPU with the slot on the MB. Interesting idea, but a lot more companies would have to start doing the same thing. Right now that line is just future e-waste.
https://www.asus.com/content/btf-hidden-connector-design/

I saw some stuff a few years ago talking about how that connector might be the way to go in the future as cards required more power, but that's the first MB/GPU combo to use it.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

The Joe Man posted:

Finally snagged a decent card. Newegg just posted the two Gigabyte models in stock, they rank 3rd (at least the one I'm linking here) in quiet/cooling and are only beat by the ASUS TUF and STRIX (which can reportedly have frequent coil whine). Apparently Gigabyte has never had an issue with it.

$1,050
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-4080-super-gv-n408sgaming-oc-16gd/p/N82E16814932671

I can verify the coil whine with the TUF 4070 Ti Super. It's more like a faint hiss, but it's more pronounced if I have the monitor refresh set higher. This is only when gaming. Normal desktop usage it's dead quiet.

It's not that bad compared to other cards I've had.

My old EVGA 1070 was pretty bad when it whined. It sounded like a piezo speaker, but would only happen on first boot if the computer was off for a little while. If you powered down then immediately restarted it would go away and not come back until the next down time.

Turmoil fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Feb 15, 2024

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

SpartanIvy posted:

I started having a GPU problem last night and I could use some thoughts on it. I have a 3080 10GB that I've had since late 2021.

I was playing Helldivers 2 and started getting weird video glitching and my monitor would lose signal for a second or two before coming back on. It was erratic and didn't seem to follow any specific event ingame. It was acting very similar to how a 6800GT I had back in 2006 acted before frying itself, which has me worried.

I exited the game tried running some 3Dmark benchmarks while checking temps. However, it fails to run any benchmark with Raytracing. It gets a few seconds to a minute in before crashing or freezing on both Speed Way and Port Royal. Time Spy Extreme ran just fine though and returned normal results.

I tried doing a clean install of the NVIDIA drivers and while I can play Helldivers 2 without issues now (sample size of an hour or so), the benchmarks still won't complete. I also ran MEMTEST last night to make sure it wasn't another RAM issue, but my PC passed a full test.

Any thoughts on what it could be or what other tests I could do to try to narrow down the issue?
How old is your PSU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

The PSU seems unlikely to be the problem. Typically, an under-spec or malfunctioning PSU will just cause a complete loss of power, not application or driver crashing.

You could try setting a negative GPU clock offset in MSI afterburner and see if that helps. (-100MHz or so.) It could also be caused by one of the VRAM chips going bad.

Not necessarily, but I did want to at least rule that out. Given the age and wattage of the PSU it shouldn't be a problem.

I had reused a 750 watt EVGA PSU in a machine a few years ago not really thinking it was that old(turns out it was 7 years old) and there was a lot of weird things that would go on with that machine. There were sporadic issues with applications having DLL errors when a few months prior they worked without issue. Windows update could not complete an update on the machine. It would download, install, then during the reboot when it was finishing the update it would fail and roll back.

I was about to reinstall Windows on the machine thinking it was just something corrupted causing the issues and decided to swap the PSU and all the issues went away.

Luckily the first PSU was under warranty and I got it swapped out and I just keep it as a spare.