Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s gonna use FSR 4.0 and AMDs updated frame gen on the consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AMD rules because their chips are in the steam deck and other handhelds.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

YorexTheMad posted:

I have a friend who upgraded his GPU who is offering to get rid of his used 3070 for $250. It would have just been used for gaming, no bitcoin mining BS. Is that a decent price?

I currently have a 1070 Ti and have been itching for an upgrade but am very budget conscious right now.

Yes

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://x.com/dachsjaeger/status/1739557324975378456?s=46&t=DvvqeOcggle6VW8Wu5D9WA

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GPU Meat[H]read - now the PSU thread

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just put the GPU in its own smaller case off to the side.
:shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They are also pretty much the only game in town for the handheld PC market which isn’t huge it’s still moving millions of units.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

change my name posted:

Not true, MSI is dropping their own handheld with Arc integrated graphics soon that seems to perform similarly to the 780M

Well that’s why I said pretty much!

Also lol at the intel iGPU though

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

This thread just mostly selects for idiots who run 3dmark and nothing else on their $3000 PCs.

That’s not true! I just use my steam deck while my $3000 pc is off.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Genuinely surprised the 4080 Super sold out so quickly. We haven't had a full sell-out this gen since the 4090.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t significantly scale back production though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

Not to pick on you specifically, but is there a reason we give X a bunch of traffic instead of just linking to the article?

Because it’s quick and easy

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

That’s gonna be a mess.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

I can’t wait for the reviews lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

I've got 11 on a laptop and it is absolutely terrible, I'm not upgrading my desktop until 10 stops getting security patches

Its really not that bad.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I’m on team GPU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Star Man posted:

Is there a reason at all to hitch my wagon to an AMD card over nVidia. I have a friend who keeps trying to push AMD on me for a video card, but my reading of it all is they were viable "back in the day," but nVidia cards always seem to be the better buy.

AMD is still very viable but a lot of it depends on the budget and use case for the card.

If you want RT then Nvidia is the way to go but if you don’t care about that then AMD is perfectly acceptable and priced slightly better.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I also feel like if you are in the $300 (ish) range AMD is hard to beat right now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Star Man posted:

I am a knuckle-dragging retro gamer just looking to upgrade a six-year-old system. The newest game I own is Diablo IV and I've backed off of it because my GTX 1060 just can't handle it all that well. It's not unplayable, but I feel like my system is not up for it.

I'm not playing anything where high framerates make that big of a difference, or at least don't seem to be. I'm just on this eternal rotation of a Diablo game, MechWarrior, some old game anthology, or Other.

Imo look for a 6700XT for $330 if your budget can support it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RodShaft posted:

I don't know how far of topic this is, but I just bought a 6750xt off eBay. It's power draw is 250w. My processor is an i5-11400 at 65w. I have a single SSD and 2 16gb RAM sticks and nothing else but a couple fans in there. It's an Inspiron 3891 that had a 250w PSU. I upgraded to a 500w from a server I wasn't using anymore.

AMD recommends 650w PSU for the 6750xt, but since it draws 250w and I've already upgraded that many watts, do I need a new PSU?

Here's my exact setup right now, if you need it. I'll be swapping out the 1060 for the 6750xt.

Imo you should be fine

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

VorpalFish posted:

Finally. gently caress very specifically whoever at Nvidia made the decision to require a login to begin with and double gently caress whoever made the decision that it should have a captcha and expiration.

I hope they are pecked by geese for eternity.

I agree with this 1000%.

Red_Fred posted:

What’s the thread consensus on updating drivers anyway? In the past I’ve only really updated for issues actually effecting me and/or fixes for games I’m actually playing.

Is this dumb?

I’m not gonna say it’s dumb but sometimes they slip things in there to fix overall issues and I can’t be hosed to read patch notes every time so I just update when there’s a new driver that’s been out for a few weeks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

What're you talking about? You've got Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil Village and *thinks really hard* Death Stranding!

TBF if you use crossover a lot of games run really well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

You done need to run Windows to run Windows applications. SteamOS / the Steam Deck have zero Windows but some Windows games and applications perform better there than in their native habitat.

The guys who make crossover also work on proton for the deck / Linux

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RodShaft posted:

I got that 6750xt and power supply a few weeks ago, but haven't posted because imgur is terrible all of a sudden. Hopefully postimg works.

I approve of the bubble wrap as an ESD mat.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bloopsy posted:

Off topic sort of but how is FW performance wise? I remember holding off on New Dawn for quite a while because of reported issues. 7800x3D/4080 here and looking to play 4k. Helldivers is testing my patience with its stability issues so I’ve got no more to give for another semi-broken game.

It’s really drat good this time around

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So here's a dirty secret about raytracing, speaking as someone who has been building graphics engines since the late 80's and has written a handful of raytracers -- it'll never really happen.

People have been talking about real time raytracing since the mid 90's, when it became clear CPU (and later GPU) power would eventually enable it. And to be clear, what people are calling ray tracing today isn't what was traditionally called ray tracing... mostly for marketing purposes. Real ray tracing runs some number of rays per pixel on the screen, running a physics engine on surfaces and handling reflection, refraction and bounces, whereas what games like this are doing is running a subset of rays as input to shaders and other rendering techniques.

When CPUs first got to the point where you could do real-time "real" raytracing in the late 90's, it didn't get implemented because people wanted more resolution or more detailed geometry and textures. So that's where the compute went. And with every increase of processing capability, the same thing has happened -- compute went to higher resolutions, or later higher framerates, or more detailed geometry and textures.

And the why is simple -- its always cheaper to use rendering tricks than to run the physics of a light ray. For a 4K image with real tracing, you'd be running hundreds of millions of casts per frame, tens of billions or more per second, east cast using a not-inconsequential number of floating point operations.

So a bunch of years ago some marketing yahoo decided they could implement the hardware needed to do it more efficiently and use the output of them to provide better shadow detail, or to do limited simulation of reflections and refractions, and call it ray tracing.

And what happened? Same thing as before -- developers realized they could use that compute time to get faster framerates, or process more geometry, or run more compute-intensive shaders with far more bang-for-the-buck. So ray-tracing (or, ray-traced inputs to shaders) is only really done as a marketing thing in games these days -- because it sounds fancy and sites like DF can post videos about how such-and-such game has slightly better bounce lighting and shadows, etc.

And next generation the same thing is going to happen -- games will use that compute time on the GPU for LLM processing. Or even greater framerate, or 8K rendering, or real-time re-encoding for streaming, or any of a thousand other things that have a higher bang-for-the-buck.

Raytracing isn't going to happen until rendering is happening at or beyond the limit of human vision at framerates higher than people can perceive, and geometry has reached the point of absolute realism. Then the GPU performance gains will be spent on it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

YerDa Zabam posted:

what are the odds that DLSS4 is locked behind 5000 too? pretty high I guess

It would be very on brand

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

it's FSR 1.0 and DLSS 2.0

It should be illegal to use FSR 1.0 at this point

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What’s in the box??

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I’m not sure if I would buy a 4090 at this point. If you are in the market for that high priced or a card you are better off waiting.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it wasn’t really hard at all for me to get my 4090. Nothing like the 3000 series.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I’m pretty sure it’s a big fat no but I need to double check because some YouTube videos show different.

I’m trying to use AMD FMF on diablo 4 which is only full screen window game. It absolutely won’t work right?

It has to be a game that’s full screen exclusive mode correct?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is a pretty good video on best deals for AMD

https://youtu.be/qGDeiVNifdo?si=z8cChUAK4SZkd9UJ

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zotac Store has ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB Graphics Card (Open Box, ZT-D40900D-10P) on sale for $1,312.19 when you apply discount code ZTUDISCORD2024 during checkout

https://slickdeals.net/?adobeRef=08...t-d40900d-10p-o

I can't get the non slickdeals link to past but I guess its on their site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

what are the odds of Apple getting a Proton-like way of playing games ala Steam Deck vis-a-vis Windows games, or does programming not work like that

They also have crossover which is the commercial project from the proton guys.

Crossover works really drat well.