Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

FuturePastNow posted:

Most of my computers are old as hell so I max them out with the options that would have cost a fortune when they were new.
That's a classic post/username right there. The idea of having the best stuff from the past is cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now I want more space where I live and fill it with old computers.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Sorry, this is unrelated, but would there be any way to squeeze out more details from grainy low-res videos from the new algorithm? I suppose you need to know the direction the camera is moving, but perhaps the video itself has enough information about camera-shake or movement. That would be fascinating, but probably not possible. Anyway, looking forward to an experimental DLSS-based VLC plug-in around 2030 or so, hopefully.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Interesting. Thank you!

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

shrike82 posted:

https://twitter.com/GarnetSunset/status/1296916731378704391?s=20

those are some big jumps at the entry/mid-level tiers
Yeah, too easy to say no to the next higher tier for me. Make it 150 between them to make me regret my future purchase instantly (whatever it will be), but not like that.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

That's just asking for a high number of RMA's if you ask me. Some people are less careful with their electronics than others.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

Someone in Sweden called up Proshop.se, the Swedish branch of a pan-european large vendor. I, like many others, ordered from them yesterday. Their website was giving a green light for almost an hour after the GeForce launch, saying their stock arriving on 17.9. was still good, and they were getting enough cards from the manufacturers to be able to deliver by next week. Then slightly after 17:00 the website started saying they were out of stock, so all good, right? Nope!

Turns out they had 20 TUF OC cards in total at any time, apparently between all of their seven regional stores, and their system took over 700 orders before it finally flipped over to out of stock. Every one of those 700+ people were charged the full price of the card, and only during last night their orders were updated to say they weren't getting a card. Apparently this was "a bug" with the website. The rep estimated over the phone that they will be getting restock in November. Maybe. Hopefully. They apparently have no way of estimating where a given order is in the queue, so those 700 people might be getting a card in November, or they might be getting one some time next year.

I can't really imagine anyone botching a GPU launch in a bigger way.
Some people wanted a lottery, now they have one.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

I wonder if Nvidia has produced more than a thousand cards in total. Founder's Edition, more like Limited Edition.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

In only tangentially related news, I am so glad that the latest Nvidia drivers resolved the frustrating occasional black screen on GSync monitors when starting a game. It was previously like a 50% chance that I’d have to turn my primary monitor off and on again, and then rearrange all of my windows, every time I started a game.
Had the same problem and that's indeed good news. Does this also happen with freesync when you have an AMD card? Just in case I do switch to AMD and become part of the multi-million-underdog experience.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Stupid question: Is DLSS going to be great for all titles or mostly for action games? I wonder what happens if you render a strategy game like Civilization at a lower resolution and basically have to stare at an upscaled lower-res map, while the little units may look better but are forgettable. Just a thought.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Strange how the new AMD cards use so much power to accelerate YouTube videos. I often have one running in the background so this matters to me. Otherwise they look great. Screw RT for now.

https://www.computerbase.de/2020-11/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-test/4/#abschnitt_leistungsaufnahme_desktop_youtube_und_spiele

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

I just undervolted my 1060 too and 3D games like Overwatch, Hitman 2 and Furmark worked better. Hearthstone on the other hand is very sluggish now, as the card refuses to raise clocks while it's running. I wonder if that is a known problem.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

This little dramatic interlude is more interesting than the usual discussion about barely-existant cards anyway.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Since my chances of getting an affordable card are zero I don't follow their development as closely as I used to, but when AMD introduced FidelityFX lately I thought it would have been better to have dynamic resolution as well and be able to switch res on the fly, depending on how much the card is strained. Some titles already have that and I think there is something by AMD themselves where it looks at mouse movement and the res get down depending on that, which was somewhat underwhelming. Was dynamic res ever in the cards, or is that a whole other thing? Feel free to disregard, it's just idle speculation. :-)

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Just a few observations about my new card, don't mind me. Bought a 6700 XT Red Devil about four weeks ago. This was the first "really good" (by my standards) graphics card I own as my previous ones were a NV1060, a NV 750 and a NV550 bought in 2011 or so. Paid 666 Euros on a sale which I thought went well with the card's name. Now its 578 Euros and I feel a bit of regret though.

I have a very quiet desktop and now that the RD has replaced the 1060, the card's fan as well as the CPU fan are getting slightly louder than before. The card is at 8 Watts when idle, but anything with 3D acceleration takes it to 35 Watts which is a lot compared to the quiet and economical 1060 (this seemingly includes launchers and a lot of tools). Multi monitoring is also not as smooth, as the memory is then always clocked at max as AMD handles this differently than NVidia. There are ways to fiddle with tools and custom resolutions but I wasn't successful so far bringing it down. The performance however is very, very good. I can play Hitman smoothly in 1440p and that is all I want. I kinda feel like one of these old men who can finally afford a sports car when they barely drive anymore though. Not a bad product but I should have waited for the prices for the 360 TI to go down a little. Another thing I really like about the card is the drivers that give you lots of details. Hail the Red Devil.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 23, 2022

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Will try this asap. Thank you!

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Today I learned by pure accident that my 6700XT will happily clock down its memory if I change framerate from 144 to 120 on my 1440p screen. I can even have two displays like this and it will clockdown (this was not possible before). At 144fps however it insists on a memory clock of 2k mhz (which will use 36W and temp goes up). I appreciate learning something new but with NV cards you barely know they are there.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Getting real sick of the crappy AMD drivers lately,
Indeed. How is this tolerated by the users and press? I really regret my choice now as I don't life to babysit my freaking video card.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

So it looks like the AMD drivers don't play nice with Libre Office, causing it to crash every now and then. You can change LO to software only rendering though. Took me a while to figure that out. Thanks (again) AMD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

This isn't likely just a Radeon issue as I've seen similar for all kinds of people through the past year, many did not have Radeon cards.

Like many FOSS projects, LO runs as intended in a FOSS infrastructure (i.e. Linux) and the Windows version is a hanger-on. In addition to the Stallmanites who think you should be grateful that someone is releasing flunky code for free for your non-free operating system, LO might just be an overworked/underfunded project. I know Red Hat decided to remove it from their repos this year, which allows them to point the fingers at the LO devs and say "blame them" when Enterprise Linux customers find something doesn't work.
Interesting, thanks for that.