Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

So would I be right in thinking that if the benchmarks are solid for the 1060 I'm better off getting that to replace my 750 over the 1070 if I have no interest in going above 1080p?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

axeil posted:

Ah. So there's no expectation the 1060 will be sold at MSRP? That's...sort of annoying.

MSRP in the UK is £250, and I've seen them at £240. So it's going to be determined by how much manufacturers are going to try and gouge early adopters. ASUS seem to be one of those trying to pull a fast one since the cheaper MSI and EVGA cards (both £240) are selling out first so anyone who wants one immediately is gonna have to shell out for a more expensive card.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Well yeah it's visually better too of course :)

But I think the perception is significantly influenced by the game and how you play it. Aren't a lot of console games locked to 30fps? That's downright terrible for anything but slow paced adventures and what not, but apparently people were ok with that when played from a distance with a controller.

Most console games now try and keep a locked 60fps but there are exceptions usually on the Xbox One. I played MGS5 on Xbox One and had no issues with it being 30fps, but give me a racing game and playing it at less than 60fps is painful. I think there's something to do with your monitor as well, like if you have a 60hz monitor (like me) you can't really notice any fps above 60. But having that headroom in case there's a sudden framerate tank is nice.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The few DX12 benchmarks I've seen suggest there isn't gonna be much difference, but the 1060 might have a very slight advantage.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also most games now will just look at your system specs and set their graphical settings automatically.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Excited to be living in the year of the gamer.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Absolutely died at the glowy red fans.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Even as a League player, I don't think League and Borderlands are what you want to use as your hardcore gamer cred points. Neither is the completely random Konami code on the shirt.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Gaming PC hardware will never stop being a parody of itself with its naming.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Who in the games industry do the Godfall devs have blackmail material on to get pushed this much to what has never been total apathy?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

$650 ain't bad for a top level card.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

OK $580 for a competitor to the 3070 is DOA.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's OK, now EA own Codemasters they'll have Dirt running on Frostbite soon enough.

I'm actually fairly optimistic about the 3060, I've seen a handful of UK places have 3060Ti's in stock the last few days. Mostly for pickup in stores that aren't near me but still. As someone still rocking a 1060 it's very much the one I've been waiting for as my next big upgrade.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Nerds buy whatever Daddy Musk tells them to, hence why Tesla's stock price is the highest in the world and he could spike the gently caress out of Dogecoin by tweeting about it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

spunkshui posted:

Production seems to be worse now tbh... The average price on ebay is climbing, not falling.

It's Lunar New Year coming up, so a lot of factories are going to be closing for at least a week. I expect some people are jacking up their prices knowing nothing new is going to hit the market in that time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

My wallet is very thankful for the 3060 benchmarks being extremely unimpressive so I can wait a bit longer before going rabid to upgrade my 1060.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Gorilla Tag is the VR killer app.

But seriously most of the games that explode in VR spaces aren’t coming from the usual big companies. It’s all indie devs executing on an idea really well like with Population One or a classic game that really benefits from that sense of presence like Myst.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

roomtwofifteen posted:

DLSS is the main thing keeping me focused on Nvidia, but I'm starting to wonder if AMD card availability/price might make me crack

Like Steve said in GN's 3060 review, cards don't need to be exciting any more. They just need to exist and be purchasable.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Any talk about a Switch Pro with cutting edge high detail graphics is completely ignoring Nintendo's entire history of hardware development. The only believable thing in the entire rumour is the OLED screen.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CoolCab posted:

i understand it currently the switch's dock is more or less dumb - it offers the internals of the switch more power but otherwise just passes through and converts the signal to HDMI, connects your usb devices, etc. if it was possible to stick a GPU like device in there with some RTX cores and have it work the signal it passes through that might be a very competitive product. but, this is all pulled out of my butt.

It has no power inside it, it's just a charging dock and HDMI passthrough. The Switch's clock speed increases when it's not running on battery power but that's it.

And yeah, there's almost certainly not enough demand for better docked to justify the effort. The Switch Lite sold like crazy and most games seem to put most of their optimisation focus on running well undocked at this point, to the point where some games actually run worse when docked.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I demand Linus in full Mission Impossible stealth gear and nothing less.

Also dying at “Verified Actual Gamer”. Who do I email at Twitter to be a verified gamer?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I don't see why a card manufacturer would give a bunch of their still extremely limited stock to a Youtuber to sell on. Especially without any requirement to mention in the initial tweet that it was their cards or some more prominent branding on the boxes. I expect it's just Linus looking to get some good PR since assuming he got a decent enough wholesale rate he's probably at least breaking even.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Again if that were the case I'd expect that to be mentioned right off the bat because it'd be something you want people to know.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Probably doesn't help the scalpers that there's been no must-play game released in about 4 months now. Anyone who wanted a tricked out machine for Cyberpunk got it already and there's been nothing else to push demand for new cards other than the fact that they're new cards.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also they know graphical progress is slowing down to the point where the entire marketing push for the 3060 was for 1060 owners to upgrade since even 5 years later it's still a very good card that's perfectly capable of running almost anything. If they want the consumer GPU market they kinda need to maintain a decent price point else everyone's just gonna stick with whatever card they already have since hey it still works.

But then, the 3060 was at least £100 more than the 1060 was at launch so maybe not.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If I had to guess I'd say someone was sent to search warehouses for unsold stock from previous card generations just so they'd have something to sell. And then they sell out immediately because "literally anything from the last 7 years except the 1030" is the standard we're working with.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I doubt Google is spending any money on Stadia at all any more.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I did see a friend on Twitter saying last time it got to the point that tech channels were shilling mining tools we were less than a month away from the crash. Here’s hoping.

But also laughing my rear end off at Linus yeeting whatever credibility he has for a single payday.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That's pretty interesting but I'd be amazed if it was intentional, if it is it's actually kinda genius.

Also if you're looking for further signs that the crash is imminent, there's a few stories popping up about crypto wallets being hacked/exchanges emptying the wallets of people dumb enough to trust them. So we might actually be back to being able to buy graphics cards by the summer!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That’s some serious hashtag abuse.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The reviews I've seen aren't quite that glowing, basically saying it's not that exciting but functional. Also gets absolutely kerb stomped in ray tracing tests but we knew that already. Mostly though that it's just not better than the 3070 enough for only being slightly cheaper but also it doesn't matter because you won't be able to buy one anyway.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

And when the videos I've watched are talking price/performance they've all said MSRP is a lie but it's the only number they have to go on since the scalpers haven't got their stock in yet.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Amazing scenes in the UK as a few places have managed to keep stock for multiple days now, massively marked up naturally so it's £500+ for a 3060 but still.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

This is why so many youtubers started hiding how much paste they use.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Something very funny about a $2000 prebuilt gaming PC that can't play Call of Duty Warzone because it doesn't have enough storage.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I would be shocked if the hardware upgrade is anything further than just upgrading it from a Tegra X1 to an X2.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I mean it doesn't make sense for them to really release anything new while material supply is low, doesn't mean they're not going to. Then even if they do the odds of it being widely available are tiny. They're definitely planning one since I think the 3080Ti was the card already announced then pushed back to get more 3060 stock out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's almost certainly just because there's not really anything in terms of mass market peripherals that connects over USB. As the dude from Actually Hardcore Overclocking keeps saying in his motherboard videos, the only thing he owns that connects over USB-C is his phone. The one on my PC basically solely functions as a charging port since decent cheap USB-C to USB-C cables aren't long enough for my VR purposes. There are USB-C flash drives starting to appear though so it is starting to penetrate.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also if you're not keeping up with the Big Boat story, it's gotten even better.
https://twitter.com/matthewchampion/status/1374709611715031041

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Never changing the URL seems like a bad idea.