Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Strangely, my sli 570s (combination of Fermi + sli should be the perfect storm for driver problems) have been perfectly stable using every beta and release driver for the last three years. Must be a more weirdly specific problem than Fermi + 314.22+ :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hardware Canucks measured the R9 290x at 63.6dB under load. Jesus christ.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Considering that in Australia the price difference between the 780 and the 290x is small, I really can't personally see the 290x as something I would go for. I definitely value the lower heat, noise, and power consumption of the 780 over the 5-10%~ speed increase of the 290x. Am I in the minority?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Rahu X posted:

Not by a long shot, I would imagine.

Honestly, if the 780 does end up dropping in price to somewhere around $550, I'll pick up an aftermarket one over the 290X and probably OC it.

If the 290X didn't get so massively hot (honestly anything in the 80s would be reasonable enough), then I'd pick up the 290X no question. As of now, I'm sort of left with 3 options.

1. Hope the 290 (non-X) competes well with a 780 and doesn't get as hot as a 290X (seems unlikely).
2. Hope NVIDIA drops the price of the 780 due to the 780ti (maybe just as unlikely).
3. Hope aftermarket solutions for the 290X come out before the end of the year and drastically lower the load temperature.

This video from Linus paints a fairly clear picture: at stock clocks the 290x beats the 780, but due to the far larger temperature and power headroom along with the 780's conservative stock clocks, the 780 wins outright when fully overclocked compared to the 290x fully overclocked. One must also take into account that this is both cards with stock blower coolers, so even if the 290x is tamed somewhat by aftermarket open air coolers, it will then have to compete with the many aftermarket 780s with their improved coolers/power delivery etc. While a great card in it's current position $100 below it's main competition, I don't see it as the "Be all and End all" of graphics cards as many do.

EDIT: Now that I have thought about it more, the 290x will also be not that great an overclocker when fully cooled, as it is already drawing all 300 watts of power that the 6+8 pin PCI-E plugs are providing (alongside the 75 watts from the PCI-E motherboard connector) which means that there is little room for voltage adjustment without hitting the power barrier. Watercooling will definitely solve the noise and case heat problems though.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 24, 2013

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Vroom vroom.

I seriously cannot get excited for this card. The performance in my eyes just doesn't outweigh the noise, heat, and lack of overclocking headroom(which makes other cards perform better anyway). I mean, the internet hype disagrees. But there are surely other people with reservations right?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Had that same issue with a Gigabyte GTX570. It was as if the card didn't exist, it wasn't even in the BIOS PCI-E config as there. A couple restarts and it eventually triggered the windows driver installer, and after having that run it sorted itself. It was definitely strange.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Your post reminded me that I have never actually checked the ASICs on the cards in my current computer.

:clint:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Agreed posted:

ASIC stuff

Am aware of the irrelevance of ASIC scores in general, but I just felt it was worth sharing the two anomalous scores I got for the cards. Correlation does not indicate causation of course, but they both manage 30% or so over clocks if I do overclock them (the heat and noise is silly though from two Fermi cards going at it).

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

SourKraut posted:

Though it's still inferior to most AIB cooler solutions. It also costs a lot to make apparently so I'm not sure how "useful" it really is given the AIB options. It's a drat sexy blower though. (Though didn't some of Anand's benches show the 780 with the reference blower could hit its 80 degree throttling temp in some games?)

You mean like the furnace that was Fermi? Let's not pretend that nVidia hasn't had big thermal and noise issues as well. :)

The 780 doesn't downclock/throttle. It just overclocks when it can (to a reasonably small degree at least). Also it pretty much always runs at 80 degrees because that is the default temperature target, for acoustic management.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Factory Factory posted:

It's a pretty arbitrary distinction you're making, "overclocking when it can" vs. "downclocking when it must."

The main difference between Boost 2.0 and Powertune, is that with the stock cooler 780's won't just stay at the "Boost Clock", they will exceed it by a healthy margin when they can. While with the 290 and 290x the cards fight to try and reach the "Boost Clock". If a 780 has no thermal headroom, it will still likely run at it's "Boost Clock" but not in excess of it, while if the 290 has no headroom it will it run at the minimum speed and eventually increase fan speed to stay stable. Arbitrary difference yes, and more related to how the two different company's define "Base" and "Boost" clocks, but noticeable in practice.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

wasp_f15ing posted:

I got a slick deal on a EVGA 780ti over the consumerism weekend..
What are safe / stable OCs for this bad boy.

Any overclock you do with the stock BIOS is safe, even with the voltage bar maxed. Stable is something you need to discover yourself. Increase the core clock until you get instability, then increase the voltage, and then increase the core clock until you become unstable again. Repeat until you max the voltage and cannot get a higher stable clock. Then work on the memory, it is of a lower priority. Once you stress test it for as long as you need to reassure yourself at the highest stable clocks, save the overclock and forget about it :D.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

deimos posted:

I much prefer the look of the Caselabs cases if you're going for semi-custom cases.

This. The STH10 from Caselabs is a great looking case for what you can put in it.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

antman posted:

This thread is still awesome for people like me who don't keep up with the updated hardware constantly.
Between this thread and the Build Your Own PC stickied thread I've cut the cost on the current PC I'm looking to build by a few hundred dollars.

So here's my question, considering it's about $100 more is there a reason I should buy the GTX 780 over the R9 290? I'm not going to miss the $100 if there is a good reason to go with the Nvidia card.
But, the 290 seems to be pretty comparable as far as all the benchmarks I've looked at.
Going to be playing Battlefield4 @ 1080p single screen.

They offer comparable performance. The main upside of the 780 on the hardware front is lower temperatures, much lower noise, and reasonably large overclocking headroom. On the software front, AMD offers TrueAudio and Mantle (neither of which are actually implemented in games yet, and future support announcements are limited as of now). Mantle promises performance improvements in games using it (BF4 is actually the only game that I know of that is going to be updated to use it as of now, so that could sway your purchase), and TrueAudio is GPU accelerated positional audio (a bit hazy on this, someone can correct me if I am wrong). Nvidia offers PhysX (limited support but pretty drat cool visual effects in games that use it), G-Sync (not out yet, and requires additional hardware, but promises to remove screen tearing/latency), as well as a bunch of minor features like TXAA (fancy looking AA) and Adaptive VSync (turns VSync on and off based off your framerate).

In my opinion, I personally see the 780 as worth the extra money over the 290, but if you are just looking for the level of performance and you don't care about all of the smaller quality of life benefits of the 780, the 290 offers better performance-per-dollar.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Straker posted:

mother gently caress, my 290s finally came today, they're safely inside but I won't be home for ten days :(

I should probably take this time to find a new power supply anyway, I would imagine my 650W Seasonic could just barely handle everything if I didn't also have a ton of hard drives.

290s are about right on 300 watts each. Combined with a ~84 watt processor and your 650 watt has no chance even without hard drives.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Straker posted:

It's an amazing PSU, remember that's 650W provided, not taken from the wall. I'd give it a shot with a non-oced cpu and just one SSD maybe, but I'm still using a 2500k so I have to overclock, and it probably takes around 50W just to keep my drives all spinning :(

I just realized my main UPS is only good for around 750W too, and I just got an amazing deal on two 650W for other stuff, going to be annoyed if I have to acquire a fourth UPS...

Wait, is this one or two 290s? The plural in your first post made me think it was two. A single 290 would be absolutely fine on a 650 watt.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hace posted:

So where does this leave 780 now? They'd have to drop it down to close to $400 to make any kind of argument for it, and even at that price it's not super enticing compared to the 290's post-facelift gauntlet.

The 780 actually wins fairly decisively in most tests compared to the 290 if both are overclocked and on a an equal cooling level. Also 780's can get pretty great overclocks on air too, compared to the 290 they actually usually have more headroom. The 780ti has ridiculous headroom with the stock card, with the reference air card easily running at 1250MHz+. At those speeds it is faster than anything else by a huge margin. So yes, AMD has the price/performance advantage right now, but Nvidia leads with overclocked performance as well as power draw. The other main area of contest is the software/gimmick value adds from both companies, and I personally know a lot of people who like PhysX enough to stay Nvidia even if it is more.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Agreed posted:

This benchmark is garbage! They only test the 290x and the 780Ti in situations where the 290X has a clear advantage, like raising the resolution, or enabling more features! Coming from that, you'd get the opinion that for about twice the noise, you can get pretty much the same performance, or better slightly, for nearly $300 less!

Oh wait that's accurate poo poo gently caress

Doesn't take into account the 780ti's 25-35% overclocking headroom with the stock cooler, versus the 290x's pretty much negative overclocking headroom (it gets slower) with the stock cooler at any reasonable noise level. So don't feel too bad? :gbsmith:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

EkardNT posted:

Speaking of Mantle, in realistic terms how significant a performance will it likely end up being for AMD cards vs NVIDIA? I've seen hyperbole up to and including predictions that it will be so revolutionary you won't be able to sell a 780Ti for :10bux:, but I haven't seen a calm analysis of the degree to which it will benefit AMD.

DICE says 10% increased development schedule for up to 20% GPU performance increase.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

You know I hate to break it to you after all you talk about it, but the SC versions of EVGA cards are literally identical to the base versions except for the slight stock speed boost.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Both cards can be in a system at the same time just fine, if you have the money to want to do that. If you don't believe me, Linus does it in his video editing/workstation rig here.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

So Agreed, you thought your 780 was good, eh?

My friend (I built his computer) sent me that. It is a ASUS 780 CuII, stock BIOS. That is only the clocks not taking boost into account too, while benchmarking it does 1400+.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Agreed posted:

What a dumb callout post :lol:

I'm glad your friend has a high performing card, that's very good for him!

Nothing against you haha :)

Your's was just the past 780 that overclocked quite well in this thread, off the top of my head. I thought it was worth posting because 1400+ is pretty crazy on stock air cooling.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

You can still add a core offset on top of the boost using afterburner without having to delve into BIOS fuckery. The biggest limiting factor there will likely be the maximum voltage offsets allowed by the stock BIOS, and that is when you can go onto skyn3t's BIOS for greater headroom.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

A case with routing holes will blow your mind. Throwing out my Antec 300 for a (not great by modern standards) CM690 II in 2011 made me realise how poo poo old cases are. Make that next on your list for sure

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

The house is only 5 years old, pretty sure it's up to spec.

If you can wait and want to go crazy with an overbuilt digital power supply, corsair announced their upcoming AX1500i recently. It's even 80 Plus Titanium so you can save on those power bills :shepface:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

Heh, I'm still using the tiny tubes of paste that came with my old water blocks. I think it's mx-2 or something. Honestly, thermal paste makes a total of 1-2 degrees difference in most cases.

:can:

You would think that with your (obviously huge) budget you would care a little about aesthetics. Jesus that is ugly.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Leave them on there, that's where they are meant to be :)

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

You also might want to reorder that list as far as ascending power goes, or remove that from the description.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Ignoarints posted:

Awesome man, I might. It seems most economical and I just want it for one card. It looks like I can cram the radiator in the HDD area using a front fan slot which would also put it close to the cards. Also I have no issue tapping new holes and stuff if I need, but it's going to be a little weird. I already have an AIO in the top rear exhaust slot unfortunately

For the coolers? Reference 770's kind of suck if I recall though

Reference 770s have titan coolers. Which are great.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Sli is mostly a cruisy experience these days. Tearing is not a problem, and stutter was mostly an AMD thing. VRAM can be a limiting factor, but 3 gigs is well and truly enough for 1440p. The biggest problems with sli is occasional inconsistency with scaling depending on the game, but any game that actually needs the horsepower has excellent sli support these days. There is not a single game I own (over 440 on my steam account) that doesn't have sli that I wish did.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

What type of crash do you experience? If the system hard resets, it is extremely likely to be a power supply problem. If the crash is within with windows, or even out to BIOS but not actually a hard reset of the components it is likely to be a GPU issue. At least, this is what I have encountered in my experience.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Contacting Asus support sounds like your best bet, then.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

PSUs are analogue creatures, power in power out, so when they have problems they don't manifest in software bugging out. They turn off, or explode, or send lovely power that damages stuff.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

EVGA's coolers aren't anything to write home about though. And their support isn't worth anything outside of the US, so for us Aussies EVGA stuff is 50~ dollars more expensive for no real benefit.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Right now the craziest deals in aus are on Galaxy cards. The galaxy 780ti HOF is a ridiculous overbuilt card in the vein of the classy and lightning, but it is only $799. Which is $50 bucks cheaper than an EVGA reference card, and a pile of dollars cheaper than a lightning or classy. Also the white PCB looks awesome.

EDIT: the stock cooler is not great though (unlike the MSI you got) but with a PCB that sexy it is pretty much made to be waterblocked.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Oh yeah the cooler is a monstrosity. Performs pretty well but it is 2.5 slots and sticks out in every direction. The MSI is a better choice but the HOF is the fun choice

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

right arm posted:

would a 780ti be a significant leap over a 780 for 2560x1440 gaming or should I just bite the bullet and SLI another 780

money really isn't much of an issue

25% faster for 35% more money. You decide.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The MSI is perfectly dual slot, with no extra size as with the ACX. The Asus is dual slot in the normal sense, but it has a backplate that sticks out a bunch and can cause problems with the slot behind it (I had problems with it on a build with a mATX motherboard where the backplate got in the way of cooler fan clips, even on an Extreme4 which has some of the most spacious CPU cooler area). The gigabyte has similar problems with length, as the cooler extends beyond the PCB. The galaxy HOF cooler is a fantastic performer, but it is out of spec in every direction, with its long 2.5 slot cooler and backplate, and even a higher PCB. The classy takes the strange step of going for a ridiculously high PCB to fit in all the extras, but that is the direction that causes the least problems. The lightning cards are 2.5 slot coolers, and can cause problems backwards unless you remove the addon PCB off the back (only on the 780).

I think that covers them all.

Edit: also bude is right about the Asus cooler being mediocre, I only built with one as my friend selected it due to his Asus hardon (I recommended the MSI).

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Ignoarints posted:

edit: Oh man, MSI 780ti is $600 on newegg

Buy two, it's the logical step (2x660ti -> 2x770 -> 2x780ti). Make sure to only use them with a 1080p monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

780ti's can overclock to 690/770 sli levels quite commonly. The stock clocks are very conservative.