Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
So is the diy evga the best way to get a card right now? They evidently have 3070TI’s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Wow, time is a circle… Peltier coolers were the next big thing for cpu cooling in the 2000’s for a while. Theyre horribly inefficient, but maybe they’ll be more viable this time. I think the tech is neat barring efficiency concerns.

That an condensation concerns

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

shrike82 posted:

reminds me of the era where an incoming cell phone call would buzz the speakers

This… most of what people Are describing sounds like a gsm phone in the vicinity. I don’t doubt there can be issues, but seems like everyone here has had a lot of bad luck with audio

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

That’s just a group policy setting in enterprise windows

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

So if I want to decrease the file size of my partners videos without killing quality I should use AV1 then, right? Playback and encode time isn’t a huge concern really at this time. Just looking to be efficient with space because 4k60 takes up a loooooot more space than we assumed lol

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

teagone posted:

Where are my 24-25" 1080p 144+ Hz OLED monitors? I don't care for 4K PC displays or 4K gaming, personally.

Ha! You want niche:

Where’s my A4-size ePaper monitor???? Two colors and low refresh is just fine… get it done nerds

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

repiv posted:

the boox mira is a 13.3" 2200x1650 e-ink monitor

800 bux though

Well dang! The Mira looks like a winner for my use case of displaying pdfs. You’re right that it’s too rich for my blood right now though.

Thx both of you for enlightening me!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

Me, I'm currently looking around at used cards as a way to put my 1070 out to pasture. Normally I avoid used videocards but drat, even on ebay some of the prices are getting low enough to make rolling the dice worth while.

If you don’t mind, post here about what you got when/if you do pull the trigger. I’m in the exact same boat :) and I’ll do the same

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

K8.0 posted:

…MTB stuff…

probably within 10 years there will be wear parts that you cannot replace new.
It doesn’t really matter but
I find this very hard to believe, but it’s been years since I was a bike mechanic so idk

Electronics stuff has always been throwaway since the 90’s while bikes never have

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

Speaking of which:

Took a couple weeks of trawling for deals, but I snagged a Dell OEM 2080 for $230 after shipping.

Absolutely great deal! Thx for reporting back and enjoy the card!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Quick question for the thread then: what’s the current best way to get a 4090? And did the MSRP really go up or is it just scalpers doing there thing since it seems to be sold out everywhere? I’d usually just wait until one came into MicroCenter but I’m not sure if that’s realistically going to happen?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

jimtech posted:

I went into my local Microcenter (Houston, TX) on Dec 29th and they had about a dozen 4090's. Picked one up to replace my 3080 which then went into my Son's PC.

Oh awesome! They don’t seem to have any when I check online so I never thought to just go in… I live like 10 minutes away so if they are being restocked at all then I have a chance at least.

If you don’t mind me asking, were prices > $2k? That’s kind of my limit lol

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I was having issues with my old card and new monitor with DisplayPort. I couldn't get into the UEFI at all... blank screen.

It's only for 1000-series cards and before, but it totally fixed my problem and I didn't see it posted so I thought I would share. It was even updated/released only 6 months ago:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

I'm looking to get a new card, but have to keep this old GTX 1070 running until I do. Maybe this will help others as well.

e: vvvvvvvvvvv
That’s fair… I was trying to hedge by saying updated/released but if you have better info then I’m happy to be corrected! I was just surprised to see such a recent date on something that targets my card and it made my machine much, much better to use

namlosh fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 6, 2024

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I could use some advice thread!

Given the latest announcements... is there any reason to hold off on getting a MSI Suprim liquid X hybrid 4090 for ~$2000 right now?

It's going to be for AI/Design stuff mostly. I don't even think I own a game that'll really put it through its paces. My current card is pre-Ampere

if I'm seeing correctly, the gains of "Blackwell" announced yesterday are mostly from doubling the die and shrinking the size/precision of a floating point data type?

is there any specific feature that's expected in the 5-series cards that will make a 4090 obsolete for AI in the next year or two?
It might be a dumb question, and I know it's all opinion/guesses, but I figured I'd ask. There's a lot of knowledge in this thread.

vvvvv thanks for the reply... took a look and those cost a lot of cake. beautiful card though

namlosh fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 19, 2024

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Thanks very much for the replies everyone... one of the things I'm going to try and look at are generation of Hypoglycemic Index for different foods (based on description) for diabetics. But that's a long term thing.
That and maybe create an AI ad-blocker.

I'm going to head over to the AI/Stable diffusion threads in yospos and CoC, but if anyone has any cool eye candy that I should do with it I'd love to hear it. All of Nvidia's tech demos seem to be super old.
I do plan on jumping on GTA Online at some point since it's the only game I play on PC and it'll be neat to see everything maxed out at 144 fps (monitors max).

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Kazinsal posted:

Trusting machine learning to manage diabetes sounds like a good way to get diabetics killed.

It wouldn't be about putting all of your faith into an algorithm nor would I intend to have it control any type of pump or apparatus. Just guidance.
It's exhausting to have to figure out how much insulin to take every time you eat something. If there was a way to take a picture of what you're about to eat and let object detection try to figure out what it is, how much of it there is, and what its hypoglycemic index is, that could help a lot. It could certainly provide suggestions on number of units to take based on the potful of data collected by the Dexcom or other CGM... but that would be later down the road.
Source: My wife is T1D

Subjunctive posted:

You should go warn the thousands of people who have been in trials of ML-driven insulin pumps since 2018!

I had heard about this... is it Dexcom doing it? do you remember if it was another company?
I can google, but if you remember that'd be cool.

Lockback posted:

Using AI to help model Hypoglycemic Index isn't at all an outlandish thing. You need to model these things, and you need to make guesses since you cannot test every single food you eat and AI is excellent for chewing through massive amounts of data to make that easier. That's a kind of classification problem which AI has been really good at for decades and I assure you is being used in all sorts of applications that you trust with your life today.
Exactly... this would be more classification rather than generative. Everyone who's used GPT/GEMINI etc have probably had the AI do something stupid, wrong, or flat out hallucinatory. This won't be that.

thanks for the replies everyone!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

feels wrong to pay full MSRP for a card that is in its 2nd year of existence.

As someone who just did it… I can tell you it feels good to me :)
In my case, it wasn’t the right time before but it is now; so I pulled the trigger and am very happy about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I have to admit it was interesting to fire up quake rtx and max out everything and play around a little. Next thing I know, my leg was getting warm because of all of the heat coming off of the 4090. Opened performance monitor and I’ve never seen a graphics card maxed out like that while the cpu was literally idle.

I’m pretty new to good graphics cards though, maybe that’s normal idk. I bought it mostly to play with AI and the most taxing game I’ve really played is gta5