Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
What tool do people typically use to undervolt a GPU? I got an MSI Gaming X Trio 4090 today and the card starts making a loud buzzing noise once it draws close to 200W and it only gets worse above that. It's loud enough I can hear it easily over the fans after they spool up to deal with the heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

SuperTeeJay posted:

Coil whine (the buzzing) can often be mitigated by capping frames per second through the Nvidia control panel. Try setting it to 2-5 frames lower than your monitor’s refresh rate.

MSI Afterburner is the most popular tool for changing power settings, but I doubt undervolting the GPU would help and you probably don’t want to power limit the card to 200W or so as you’d be giving up a lot of performance.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

My 4090 Gaming Trio also has some coil whine, but it's not really noticeable unless you're making it render 100s of frames a second, and even then it's quiet enough to be easily drowned out.

This is super anecdotal, but I feel like MSI is the manufacturer I've seen the most complaints about coil whine for this gen. Though I've also seen some complaints about whine on Asus cards.

Generally speaking, the answer this time around isn't to do an undervolt but to do a simple power limit instead. People have been getting really good results setting an ~80% power limit, losing only 3 - 5% performance in the process. You can do a small core overclock in msi afterburner to offset the performance loss, doing essentially the same thing as undervolting. That may not always be stable for every card, though.

Thanks, I'll try all these options tonight after work. The power limit sound promising, since I noticed the higher the power used (as reported by HWINFO64) the louder the buzzing got. If I can't at least get it quiet enough I can't hear it over the fans I'll probably return the card though, it's hard to want to play anything when it sounds like I'm being attacked by an angry bee the whole time.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Limiting framerate helped for older games since limiting the max FPS to 60 is so much lower than the max that it draws way less power and makes very little noise, but for anything demanding like Portal RTX the framerate is already low enough that the limit doesn't make a difference. There power limiting helped, but it wasn't substantially quieter until I cut it down to 50% power, which also had a noticeable effect on the framerate. I think I'll just have to decide whether I can live with the noise or not.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

repiv posted:

these classic games weren't developed with realistic materials or lighting in mind, so the quality of the RT ports is just as much about modifying the original assets to make them actually look good with realistic lighting than it is about adding the realistic lighting

Even the light sources need to be redone since they weren't necessarily placed to match where light would really be coming from in the scene. I don't know about Quake engine games, but you can open up the original Unreal's maps in UnrealEd and see where all the lights were manually placed. If you just swapped them out with ray-traced lighting you'd have some really weird shadows and strangely lit environments.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Lockback posted:

Not in the first 6 months of release they weren't.

Yeah, I'm still using my 1070 and I checked the order info, I paid $460 for mine back in August 2016.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

kliras posted:

nvidia vsr (video super res) will be available for firefox in version 116 later this month btw: flip gfx.webrender.super-resolution.nvidia to true in about :config to get ready for it

Did this actually make it in to 116? I didn't see any mention in the release notes.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

kliras posted:

i don't know how to follow firefox roadmaps, but the fix to enable it was targeted for 116 afaict

Thanks, I'll try it out when I'm on my desktop.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
So it does appear to be working, you just have to make sure it's enabled both in the drivers and in Firefox and then restart Firefox. I found the image quality improvement was only noticeable to me when it was a really lower quality video with obvious macroblocking and noise. If it was an already clear 720p video then I could hardly tell the difference. Power wise though it was definitely noticeable, depending on the video it was 3 to 4 times as much power. (13W -> 45-65W on a 4070)

I also tried the special VLC build with it enabled (https://downloads.videolan.org/testing/vlc-rtx-upscaler/) and it worked pretty much the same, which I guess is expected since it's the driver doing all the magic.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
If it's an SSD and Steam is writing a ton of data it could be filling up the write cache, causing it to write directly to the slower flash. What's the drive model?

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Before taking anything apart I'd suggest installing something that can monitor temperature like HWINFO64 or some other program. Turn on graphing for the GPU temperature and if that's the problem you'll see it pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
I think you can just exempt certain directories from real time scanning, which might be better than disabling it fully. I have no idea how effective it actually is.