Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Quick question, would a 1 GB Radeon HD 7570 be okay for games around Diablo 3 caliber?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I think this is the right place to ask a question which might not have a good answer just yet, considering, but here goes:

Should I expect to be able to play PS5/Xbox Series X generation games on a 2070 Super (paired with an i7 9700)? My current monitor is a 1080p/240hz panel, so my understanding is I should be just fine as the next consoles are targeting 4k with GPUs that stack up against the 2080 and 2070 in closed, optimized systems. I know I probably should be on a 1440p panel, and might upgrade, but I plan to use this 1080p panel for the time being.

Right now Googling just gets articles citing teraflop differences which doesn't tell me much wrt expectations of the next gen and lower resolutions, and I know future-proofing is dumb and bad and not possible, but I'm needing to replace a computer earlier than expected so I might be upgrading my machine now rather than next year and can get a good deal on a 2070S.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Cygni posted:

It seems to mostly be a Path of Exile problem I think. I replaced the rear thermal pads today, and while it absolutely seems to be moving heat to the backplate faster... the backplate can only do so much. With X1 running with PoE, I watched the temps climb until the backplate was straight up too hot to touch (likely 80C+), and then the card expectedly started thermal throttling. Maxing the fans does keep it within spec it seems though, guess I'll just have to live with the noise.

Weird that an old game like PoE (albeit at 1440p/144hz) seems to be the most intense utilization of a 3090 that I've found yet, ha. I'm also gonna try swapping to the Vulkan renderer and see if that helps the temps at all.

Another poster just mentioned this, but turn on VSync or a custom frame limit.

It could just be rendering entirely Too Many Frames. It being an older game, it may not have a frame limit by default because the devs didn't think someone would be able to render fast enough to fry their hardware.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

where did "film grain" as a graphical effect come from? why did devs start implementing it?

Mass Effect 1

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

They called the Switch Pro the Steam Deck

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

change my name posted:

I can barely fit a 27" monitor on my desk and had to shunt my PC off to the filing cabinet on the side to fit it, 32" would be overkill

Buy a bigger desk

I got two 27" monitors, a big ugly Alienware PC and a Xbox Series X on top of mine

:getin:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Turmoil posted:

I would hope you can bind a controller to it.

It doesn't have a kickstand though so you'd have to prop it up or use it in a dock.

You can.

It's literally a PC you can do everything with it that you can a PC.

Fuckin' dock it and display it on a monitor, install Windows, use it as a terrible workstation, whatever. It owns.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Otakufag posted:

How much more would guys pay for a 3070ti over a 3070?

not what people are paying for them right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

Lol. Best Buy in store drop on Thursday and mfers be lining up already

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/850989677971243069/878788036975022090/video0.mov

Your time can't be worth that

Just pay the blood money if you need one that badly