Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
In with all of the CPU bottlenecking chat... I have a 2500K but kind of want to wait to build another PC next year. Any reason I couldn’t plug a 1080Ti into that for now and take it into my new computer? It’s a P8P67-M PRO (REV 3.0) and looks like it has PCI Express 2.0. I game at 3440x1400 and my :airquote: mobile 1060 :airquote: in another computer sucks with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I noticed Amazon has EVGA 2080s ready to order today after putting them on my watchlist last night.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My EVGA 2080 says it's arriving Monday but hasn't shipped yet. Sure thing guys.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

mewse posted:

Probably named after the arcturis from starcraft

This but with rays!

How many MengskMarks(tm) does your card get

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well I got my EVGA 2080 and a new 750W power supply and tried to install it in my P67 chipset running an i5-2500K. I can't get it to POST, and it just pops up the "Press <KEY> to enter BIOS", can't go in, and if you let it go long enough the screen turns black like it's going to boot and then:

(the computer hard locks at this point, numlock doesn't even toggle on the keyboard)

Swapping back the old card works and boots Windows... the behavior is the same on different outputs (I've tried DP and HDMI) and if I don't connect the extra power connectors at all, although I think I've got that nailed now. Anyone have any advice before I just say gently caress this and buy a new mainboard? I was really hoping that Z390 announcement was any day now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to help an employee who needs to drive 3 more screens at work for a total of 6. We have Lenovo X1s and his model tops out at 3, newer ones 4. We all have Thunderbolt docks so I was thinking about just getting a GPU chassis and putting something in there.

What would be a professional-looking (non-gamer) setup be? I really just want a small black enclosure that can connect via TB and have a GPU with 3-4 ports. This will not be used for gaming and needs to be quiet (it's just going to push the windows compositor around all day on 3-4 monitors).