Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
This thread reminds me of that one time I wrote the weed mega thread. It was huge, but not this huge. Great job, bar raised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Got a question about many-monitor setups. Right now I've got my 7970 driving 4 monitors but that just isn't enough. I've got an old 4670 that I've tried to install in my 2nd x16 slot but with no luck, it seems the AMD catalyst drivers just disable this 2nd card (I'm assuming it's too old to work in conjunction with the 7970). I really just need some sort of confirmation that buying a closer to current generation AMD card should let me do what I want, I'm thinking something like a 6450 like this guy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102933

I'm not planning on gaming on the final 2 monitors in this setup but hardware acceleration would be nice for video playback. Any thoughts?

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

Instead of screwing around with DisplayPort (it brings its own fun issues), I'd recommend just getting a dirt cheap HDMI to DVI cable, like so: http://www.amazon.ca/Gold-Plated-High-Speed-HDMI/dp/B000O5TFLQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344123517&sr=8-1

Out of curiosity what fun issues are you referring too? So far I've yet to have any issues using display port in quite a few use cases: Laptop with dock single & multi monitor, laptop without dock single monitor, Desktop with multiple monitors and single monitors, all multi monitor setups with combinations of DVI/HDMI/DP. HP and Dell monitors, HP & Apple laptops, AMD and NVidia on the desktop graphics side.

Fatal fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 5, 2012

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Rime posted:

Wut? SLI breaks* VR and Oculus warns against it.

*adds a single frame of latency.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

EVGA bstock is back in stock, $240 for 970, $370 for 980

http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=8

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

It's because there's no airflow over the VRMs, the Kraken is a AIW water cooling block that only cools the GPU. To install you remove the fan and shroud (which directs airflow over the rest of the card)

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I would seriously buy that. I'd much rather put $ towards slowly upgrading to a 980Ti than plunking down the full price all at once.

Like if I could pay $300 for 970ish performance and then $350 or whatever 6 months from now, that would be awesome.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

pesky details

K well, not at that price point but the idea still stands. I would really be interested to know how something like this would actually sell. How many people upgrade from a 970 to a 980Ti? Or even better question, how many people that upgrade stay with the same vendor?

I guess this is kinda like the evga step up program without the inconvenience of actually shipping hardware. It seems like the real risk would be to the manufacturer if somebody figured out how to unlock the card without paying for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm saying that the technology now exists for Nintendo to have a truly innovative product, one that makes sense even for them. Change *nothing else* about the product overall except to put in a Tegra X2 instead of an X1, and at least 6 GB of shared RAM, and Nintendo has a product that sells like the original Wii, even if it can't quite live up to the promises that it's making.

Price it at $199 and you have a product that sells like the Wii. It's pretty apparent Nindendo is designing for price, and they need to be very competitive since PS4/XBONE are $250.