Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
The case I have it in is a Corsair Carbide 400R and the side panel has a vent and two fan mounts but I haven't mounted a fan there because I have a tall custom cooler on my CPU so I don't know if I could fit a fan there now or not. It only has the two front intake fans and one rear exhauast fan but I replaced all three with fans that move more air and don't have the stupid LEDs. I might try re-applying the thermal paste but I've never done that to a GPU before I've only done that to CPUs. And yes its the ASUS DirectCUII model with the dual fans which is why I'm concerned having a 80 Celsius load temp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Ah I just checked and the lower fan mount on the side panel does clear my CPU cooler but I'm going to leave the side off for a while before I start ordering more case fans or re-applying the thermal paste.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Hmm...with the side panel off it peaks at 76 Celsius but still not 70 Celsius when I first got the card. I'm going to take one of my 120mm front intake fans and mount it on the lower fan mount on the side panel and see what that does.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

What is this 24-36 hour idle hang people are getting on Nvidia cards? I have a 660Ti and haven't had problems with it yet. On a positive note my ASUS 660Ti hasn't gotten any hotter so maybe its just an airflow issue with my computer case.

One thing I do wonder about is how the gimped memory bus and cut ROPs on the 660Ti doesn't really hurt the card's performance as much as it should. Is Kepler just that good of a GPU architecture?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I know this might open a can of worms but IMHO AMD should just give up on the desktop CPU market and focus on the GPU and mobile APU market instead. And of course continue to make the Custom APUs for the PS4 and Xbox One. What would be interesting is if in response to Nvidia's Maxwell (ARM CPU + Kepler 2.0 GPU) AMD would release a graphics card with an APU (Jaguar CPU + GCN 2.0 GPU) similar to what's going into the PS4 except more powerful of course.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Factory Factory posted:

The ARM CPU in Maxwell isn't there to do work the main CPU couldn't do faster. It's there because PCIe is so drat slow to transfer back and forth that even a slow ARM core can do a small single-threaded workload faster than it would take to transfer that work to the CPU, have it do that work quickly, and then transfer the result back. It's there for HPC and compute and no other reason.

But what if the CPU on an APU would do the same thing that a slow ARM CPU would be doing on Maxwell? Aren't ARM CPUs still slower than a low-power AMD CPU?

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 15, 2013

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

The reference cooler on my EVGA 660Ti that's in my secondary Frankenstein rig sounds similar to that but without the rattle. I wonder if its some kind of vibration issue that's causing the rattling noise in that video.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

El Scotch posted:

Has it been RMA'd? Hard to condemn a card/company before getting it replaced. Bad ones happen.

Yeah I had a 8800GT and a GTX260 go bad on me and they were both EVGA cards and I had a MSI GTX460 that flamed out meaning a flame shot out the back of it. It kept crashing during games so I ran FurMark to test the stability of the card and then kaboom.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I got lucky too when my GTX460 had a flame out and the rest of my system was fine but I do worry it might have shortened its lifespan in some way.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

If they dropped the GTX770 to $300 I'd be really tempted but my 660Ti still works great so I might just wait until Maxwell drops.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

jane came by posted:

Why do you have so many GPU problems, spasticColon? I'm still sporting the 560ti I bought two years ago. Prior to that I had an AMD 5770 that gave me no issues for the year and a half I owned it.

To me honestly it is a mystery. My PSU and other hardware even hard drives have never gone bad on me so far during my several years in PC Gaming but I lost count of how many video cards that have gone bad on me but only the GTX460 failed spectacularly. And I don't overclock or just use the factory overclock but the GTX460 I had did have an aggressive factory overclock.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 5, 2013

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

GTX 770 for $330...so tempting but I'm going to wait until Maxwell because my ASUS 660Ti is still working good at 1080p.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Litecoin miners are going absolutely apeshit.

Is this guy actually mining coins or is he buying the cards on the cheap and then reselling them to batshit insane coin miners?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Is your video card melting or on fire?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Maybe that's why I had so many problems with the Sapphire HD7850 I had. I thought it was just crappy drivers causing the graphical glitches and stuttering.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Your ASUS 660Ti runs that cool under load with that overclock? Mine gets up to 72C under load at the stock settings even with the fancy custom cooler that came with it. I would redo the thermal paste on my card but wouldn't that void the warranty?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

That's the same cooler mine has so that probably means the thermal paste on my card dried out or they applied too much at the factory. At those temps I was thinking you were using water cooling or something fancy like it.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I haven't tried overclocking yet because of the high temps and I can't decide if I want to just leave it alone until the card actually starts overheating and throttling, go ahead and redo the thermal paste then overclock if the temps go down, or try to haggle a replacement out of ASUS because the card works as is right now.

Edit: Isn't the customer service at ASUS supposed to be terrible?

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 31, 2014

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Ignoarints posted:

The difference is more than noticeable at the clocks I'm at even now. I'd be pretty pissed if I had to go back to stock. I guess the dilemma is void the warranty or not, and if you don't void the warranty would they even replace it. I guess long run plan would be seeing if ASUS replaces it first then if they don't you can mess with the paste. But that leaves you out of a video card that otherwise worked and I know how that blows.

But if I were you and seeing just how different it is, I'd recommend going for it. The performance difference is significant.

Edit: I just read that people are able to warranty it even with aftermarket heatsinks attached. However it is expressly written that it voids the warranty. If that thread is a good indication, reapplying paste to solve a heating issue with an otherwise stock card would be the tamest tampering of them all.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1755678/asus-gtx-670-dc2-warranty.html

Well when I play a game or run a benchmark GPU-Z reports that it hits 1084Mhz on the GPU then it settles back to 1071 after a few minutes so I guess its throttling slightly but its not going all the way back to the stock speed of 915 or stock boost of 980. Which is really weird because I'm not doing any kind of tweaking or overclocking of the card.:confused: Did you get a factory overclocked version of the card?

I'm just going to leave it alone unless it starts overheating or outright breaks then I'll RMA it. By the time the warranty runs out I'll be looking to upgrade anyway.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I'm curious, what's the voltage on your GPU under load? Mine is 1.175V under load.

Edit: And the 1084Mhz on my card is only the boost clock and it goes back down to 1071 or even 1058 after 5-10 minutes of heavy load on the GPU.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I might go ahead and overclock the VRAM on my 660Ti in order to compensate for the gimped memory bus. But the individual VRAM chips on my video card don't have a heatsink or heatsinks so would I have to buy VRAM heatsinks before safely overclocking? I wouldn't overvolt I would just overclock until I hit the wall on the stock voltage.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Nostrum posted:

I use a reference GTX 670 and the highest I've seen is 58 C. It's unnoticeable.

When you say reference do you mean it has the crappy reference cooler on it but the GPU temp only peaks at 58 C while under load? :stare:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Now that the good Maxwell cards have been pushed back I'm really tempted to get an R9 290 after the price gouging ends but would my Corsair 650(HX or TX?) be enough to power it?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Is the price gouging on the R9 cards going to end by springtime? I really want to get an R9 290 for my birthday in late April.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Is there any risk of the Nvidia Maxwell cards being good for coin mining? I don't want to see the Maxwell Nvidia cards get price gouged to hell and back too because of these stupid coin miners.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Rastor posted:

Bad news, while this won't appeal to those going for max kilohashes/second, it sounds like the miners are getting interested.

drat it I missed this post. These retarded buttcoin miners are going to ruin PC Gaming. Fuuuuuck. :negative:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Hopefully this means the 8xx series will be announced tomorrow.

I thought the 8xx series aren't coming out until Q3 2014 at the earliest. I do want to upgrade my 660ti but I want to get a card at least 1.5 times more powerful with 4GB of VRAM that isn't gimped to 192-bit for $400 or less. I would get an R9 290 for my birthday in April but I doubt the prices will come down by then because of these stupid buttcoin miners.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

My question is how long before we see DirectX 12 hardware from AMD or Nvidia?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Consider the GTX 780 an investment in protecting yourself from terribly optimized games. I get annoyed playing Assassin's Creed 4 on a GTX 770 since the game will dip to sub-30 FPS at times.

Are you serious? I'm waiting for Assassin's Creed 4 to go on sale on Steam and I have a slower 660Ti. I'm not asking for the ultra setting at 1440p I'm only asking for the high setting at 1080p.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

drat it I would be tempted to get a second ASUS 660Ti used and try SLI but then I remembered that my motherboard only supports Crossfire. :negative:

But is crossfire still a wash on AMD cards? I ask because I do have two Sapphire HD7850 cards with one that I had in my main rig before upgrading to a 660Ti the other which is still in my HDTV rig but I hardly game on my HDTV rig anymore. Or would I get microstuttering in half of my games from frame pacing issues again like I was getting with a single HD7850?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Well if Maxwell is going to be delayed again over this then I might just upgrade to a 770 4GB if I can get a good deal on one.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I'm going to attempt to overclock the VRAM on my ASUS 660Ti so what is the best utility to overclock with and what's the best utility to test stability?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Now when you say 400-500 are you talking about the actual or effective clockspeed?

Edit: I'm guessing effective speed because overclocking that much by the actual clockspeed would yield a 8GHz effective clock and that's impossible.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 28, 2014

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I'm hoping this means video cards with 3GB or 4GB VRAM variants will come down in price. I would have gotten a 3GB 660Ti but it cost almost $100 more at the time and back then you didn't need that third gig of VRAM for 1080p gaming. The next video card I get is going to have at least 4GB of VRAM. :pcgaming:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Some interesting observations.

-4Gb 760 costs less than 2Gb on newegg right now
-watchdogs being bundled with 2Gb cards(probably wolf too)

That's good to know but I'd rather wait until Maxwell before I get a video card with 4GB VRAM and the GTX760 is only slightly faster than the 660Ti anyway. I want a much faster GPU to go with the extra VRAM.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I'm curious do any games support or use CUDA or OpenCL for anything? I do know some games use PhysX but do games use CUDA or OpenCL for anything else like the AI or the netcode?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Factory Factory posted:

GPU PhysX uses CUDA to do the physics processing, and there is indeed a context switch involved. The context switch's performance impact is so great that you can improve average and minimum framerates more with a low-power dedicated PhysX card than with an SLI pairing.

For OpenCL... eh. Some games use DirectCompute, though - IIRC, Civ 5 uses DirectCompute to unpack compressed textures, rather than putting that on the CPU. E: Oh, Tomb Raider's TressFX does hair calculations through DirectCompute, too.

I knew that PhysX uses CUDA in some games but nothing else does? That seems a bit underwhelming. I tried enabling PhysX in some games on my single 660Ti but the performance hit just was too much so I was thinking about getting a dedicated PhysX card but would a cheap GTX750 do the job? And would my motherboard support a dedicated PhysX card even though it doesn't support SLI? And it also only supports two cards in x8 mode (PCI-E 2.0 spec) so would that be a bottleneck?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

That's weird because my ASUS 660Ti is longer than a standard 660Ti but that might because it has to be longer in order to support the huge heatsink that's installed on it.

And I really want to upgrade my video card and the wait for Maxwell is killing me. I hate having to choose between AA or V-Sync for newer games because jaggies and screen tearing really irk me. :pcgaming:

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 13, 2014

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

When will the 870 and 860 come out and how much will they be? Or are they only releasing the 880 this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I was tempted to get an R9 290 but now I'm waiting for the GTX970 myself. Any word on specs and pricing yet?