Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Any more reports of EVGA ACX 3.0 cards self-immolating? My EVGA 1070 SC is going strong and I'm playing a lot of Rise of The Tomb Raider on it. One would think that would be the one game that would kill a defective card right? Game looks amazing especially on the 'very high' settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They really should've called this the "we're sorry" edition: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/evga-details-icx-technology.html

I thought it was later determined it was not the VRMs that were causing EVGA cards to self-immolate?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

craig588 posted:

Yeah, it was a batch of faulty caps.

That'll do it. My 1070 SC I got back in August is still going strong *knocks on wood* so hopefully that means I missed the batch of cards that had the batch of faulty caps.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

havenwaters posted:

Mine from early July is also working fine. I installed that one bios update that increased the fan speed a little bit but didn't get around to putting the thermal padding into it.

Same here I installed the vbios update but didn't install the thermal pads.

PerrineClostermann posted:

I got mine in July, iirc. Still going strong as well, though two months ago I put it under water.

I'm tempted to do this with my next PC build put a water cooler on my 1070 and move it to my new build and water cool the CPU in the new build as well so I have a nearly silent rig.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

Nope!

First time in 12 years though that a large number of people will be doing builds with an AMD CPU and an Nvidia GPU though, so, that's something

Yeah, I'm looking at getting an R5 1600X Ryzen CPU for my next build and moving my 1070 over to the new build. Suck it, 7700K.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

So either the Creator's Update in Windows 10 or the newest Nvidia driver broke something because now output dynamic range isn't working over HDMI. Rolling back my video driver to the previous one fixes it so I'm guessing it's the fault of the newest Nvidia driver?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, this, right now the RX 480 is a good deal and the 1060 is kinda overpriced. The 1070 is pretty much an actively lovely buy right now given that the 1080 is only like $75 more and more than makes up for the price difference in performance. The 1080 is the obvious steal at the high end right now., you can pick a basic card up for $420 every now and then.

So overall, RX480 for 1080p, unless you are already in the GSync ecosystem in which case you suck it up and buy a 1060 6 GB. At 1440p the 1080 is the obvious choice given the current pricing.

But but but...I paid $430 for my 1070 back in August. :negative:

Oh well I don't plan on buying a new video card for at least 2-3 years anyway. Hopefully this card will have some longevity at 1080p and 1440p. I got over 4 years of use out of my 660Ti.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Output dynamic range over HDMI still doesn't work for me under Win10 Creator's Update with the newest Nvidia driver so is there a workaround for this? I didn't see one in Nvidia's release notes for the new driver.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Nalin posted:

Are you talking about HDR stuff like with Mass Effect: Andromeda? Just one of the things that are broken on NVIDIA's WDDM 2.2 drivers.

I'm talking about setting Output dynamic range to full in the Nvidia control panel so colors don't look washed out. I just read on Nvidia's driver forums that it still hasn't been fixed so I rolled back to 378.92 so the colors on my HDTV don't look washed out. And it was installing the Creator's Update that broke it in the first place so I blame Microsoft for their lovely half-baked "Creator's Update".

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Would a DVI to HDMI converter or cable be a workaround for the output dynamic range issue on the new Nvidia drivers?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

sauer kraut posted:

Are you absolutely sure that your HDMI TV expects full range RGB signals?

Yes it can display full range RGB signals (and no it doesn't look over-saturated) by changing it in the Nvidia control panel under the 'Change Resolution' page but only with the 378.92 driver under the Win10 CU so I'm just going to stick with the 378.92 drivers until they fix the problem if they ever do fix it. But unfortunately I get screen flickering and other weirdness with these older drivers after installing the Creator's Update.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 29, 2017

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Any chance or risk of buttcoin miners snapping up the Vega cards after they finally release?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Another Nvidia driver update and poo poo is still broken. I'm going to be stuck on 378.92 for a long time aren't I?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

This is the Geforce Experience, waiting on which updates are safe for your odd hardware/OS version special case :tipshat:

All I have to say right now is gently caress the Creator's Update because that's what broke everything.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

redeyes posted:

AMD is just fine under Creators update. Even got HDR enabled in windows.

When do the Vega cards come out? I'll just sell my 1070 and get a 1070 equivalent AMD Vega card. I'm just tired of poo poo being broken and it looks like Nvidia's drivers are going to broken for a long time.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 6, 2017

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

1gnoirents posted:

I missed it, what happened ?

Full Dynamic Range still doesn't work for me so colors look washed out on my TV. The colors look just fine on my PS4 though so my TV isn't the culprit.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 6, 2017

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Well I installed the newest Nvidia driver and kept messing with settings and nothing looked right so I reset all the picture settings on my 5 year old TV and that seems to have fixed it now colors don't look washed out in my games but the colors still look a little bit off when I'm at the desktop.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 7, 2017

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Mutant Standard posted:

anybody else excited for the 1030? such low power draw, think of the possibilities! :D

Would it be a feasible PhysX card or is it not powerful enough for that?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I installed GeForce Experience back when I installed Windows 10 over a year ago and since I never really used it for anything I uninstalled it but is there any reason to have it installed now?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Lmao if it's not bitcoin then its some other bullshit cryptocurrency that causes idiots to buy up all of AMD's video cards. I'm hoping against hope that Vega is absolute poo poo when it comes to buttcoin mining but is great for gaming.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Truga posted:

Why do you hate AMD? Them selling cards is good.

I don't hate AMD I just want them to be competitive because that drives down prices. The buttcoin miners snapping up all their cards causes the price on said cards to go way up and then Nvidia doesn't have to bother lowering their prices to stay competitive.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I'm actually surprised that some sperg hasn't made a cryptocurrency that Nvidia cards can mine really well. Would they call it GeCoin? Ncoin? CoinForce? CUDAcoin?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Remember when GPUs were for video games and trying to cure cancer? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Why does making a cards better make it worse for buttmining?

buttmining is optimized for GDDR5 but not GDDR5X

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Is HDR ever going to be fixed with Nvidia cards in Windows 10? I got a 4K HDR set about 2 months ago (Vizio M50-E1 Home Theater Display) and HDR still looks like poo poo when I enable it even with the newest driver from Nvidia. Or does something have to be fixed in Windows 10?

Or is this a question for the HDTV thread?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It looks absolutely fine for me, but as Phuz said, I run it in 4:2:2 since it's impossible for current HDMI cables to do 4:4:4 chroma with HDR at that resolution (not enough bandwidth).

These are the settings I use;

If you are turning Windows 10 HDR on from the windows menu (right click on desktop > display settings > HDR and advanced colour), it will run its own fake, tacky and cheap looking effect. You should leave it off. Games and movies will run with their own implemention of HDR independently of the Windows setting, and look fantastic to boot.

I was trying to enable the HDR in Windows 10 and it was looking like crap. I tried those settings you posted and now it looks somewhat better than the default color setting. I haven't played any HDR-enabled games on my PC yet but I played two games with HDR on my PS4 (Ratchet and Clank; The Last of Us Remastered) and they look pretty good even at only 1080p. But then again I'm only running most newer games on my 4K set at 1440p "high" setting because otherwise my GTX1070 cries uncle. Older and/or less demanding games look and run great at 4K60 though.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

FaustianQ posted:

AMD and Nvidia should announce a merger tomorrow.

I want this to happen just so I can watch the Nvidia and AMD fanboys lose their minds.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

One or both of the fans on my EVGA 1070 make a slight humming or buzzing sound when they spin up after I start playing a game and make that sound again after I quit playing a game and the fans spin back down. Should I be worried? I blew the dust out of my computer just over a month ago and even though the video card HSF still looked pretty clean I hit it with some compressed air anyway. The card tops out at ~68C under load so I'm assuming both fans are still working.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 21, 2017

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

That real-time ray tracing tech looks cool but it's going to be years or even decades before we see it become the norm in video games. Especially if the true next-gen consoles don't support it because it will be too expensive to put into said consoles. We might see a few games use it here and there exclusively for PC but that will be it.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Will Nvidia's next generation of gaming cards (Volta? Ampere?) have HDMI 2.1 and variable refresh support? I could see their new gaming cards not support it or at least not support variable refresh just so Nvidia can keep trying to push G-Sync.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I'm going to laugh so hard if Nvidia's new line of gaming video cards don't have HDMI 2.1 support.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Is it safe to make a custom 21:9 ultra-wide resolution for my 4K TV via the Nvidia control panel? I ask because when I go to make a custom resolution I get this warning/disclaimer that tells me making custom resolutions could damage the display.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I tried some custom 21:9 ultra widescreen resolutions (specifically 3840x1600 for desktop and 2560x1080 for some games) on my 4K set (Vizio M50-E1) and while it works great on the desktop only certain games seem to support ultra-wide natively and only some games will work if I have the GPU do the scaling instead of my 4K TV. And I agree that doing the scaling through the GPU is much better than through the display. My TV won't even upscale 1080p to 4K but if I set my GPU (GTX1070) to the scaling it will upscale 720p up to 4K although it still looks like kinda soft but not jagged and blurry like with the TV's built in scaling.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

The new Nvidia driver also has a "DCH" version. What the hell is that? Do I install that or the "Standard" version?

edit: nvm, I found out what the DCH version is it's for OEM hardware. I will install the standard version of the new driver.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 5, 2019

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Lambert posted:

DCH is the new Windows driver model, Intel offers DCH drivers as well. Over time, DCH will replace drivers built on the old model.

Will my games run better with the DCH drivers?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

tango alpha delta posted:

Holy gently caress, I dropped a 1070 ti into my ancient i7-2600k rig. Doom at 200 frames per second is pretty loving awesome!

Huh, this upgrade goes waay beyond gaming; Autodesk Maya's viewport also draws a LOT faster, as does Mudbox. The Mercury engine in Premier Pro also renders much faster.

I put a 1070 into my old 2500K rig about two years ago thinking "if this doesn't make my games run a lot faster time to build a new system". The difference was almost night and day but I was upgrading from a almost 4 year-old 660Ti. I'm still running my 2500K system until Zen 2 is released or my almost eight year-old 2500K rig finally dies.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

isndl posted:

There's likely no difference in terms of performance but the DCH driver model ought to make support for older hardware much more reliable, particularly OEM devices that historically have had special snowflake driver packaging (read: laptops).

Just out of curiosity I uninstalled the standard driver and installed the DCH driver and the DCH driver installed much faster than the standard driver and some of my games load a bit faster but performance in said games looks to be the same.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Is anyone else having issues with Nvidia's newest driver? I had to roll back to the previous driver because my system would randomly freeze up for 1-2 seconds, audio would stammer, and then it would go back to working normally until the next random 1-2 second freeze-up. Everything seems to be running fine after rolling back to 419.17 though.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 16, 2019

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I've noticed that one or both of the fans on my EVGA 1070 card "rattles" for a second or two when they spin up while gaming or spinning down when I quit a game. Should I be worried? I cleaned the dust out of my computer about a month ago and there was hardly any dust in or on the card but I hit it with some compressed air anyway to blow away the light amount of surface dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

DrDork posted:

Sounds like a bearing that's slowly wearing out. The fan in question will eventually die. If you're still in warranty, you may be able to get it replaced. If not, I wouldn't worry about it too much--dead fans aren't a huge issue for most cards, as you can source a replacement one without too much issue (or just zip-tie one you've got laying around on there if you really need to).

The rattling/buzzing noise isn't constant; it only makes the noise when the fans are in a certain RPM range and I can barely hear it make said noise. When the fans rev up to 50% and higher they are audible but there's no rattling/buzzing sound. I bought the card in August 2016 and EVGAs warranty is three years so the card is under warranty until this August but I really don't feel like RMAing it unless I have to such as if the video card itself dies. If only the fan(s) die I'll just zip tie some 120mm fans to it.