Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
We just need new classifications.

High End = Titan
High-Mid = Ti
High-Low = 1080
Mid-High = 1070
Mid-Mid = 1060
Garbage = ATI and anything below

Settled for you loving mooks. With that said I'm trying to get me one of them high-low mid 1080s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
The 1080 stock is nuts. It's like others have said here. If you aren't there at the moment it becomes available and have your login details and your payment details saved then you likely aren't getting it. I was somehow able to buy a Gigabyte 1080 G1 during a lull at work last night even though it isn't my preferred choice. I even saw the Strix in stock but the moment I added it to my cart it was OOS. For some reason I didn't get a text alert about this and only noticed it because I had missed out during another G1 stock alert that was gone in less than a minute.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

fletcher posted:

Anybody know??

Honestly just seems to be a lower clocked MSI 1080 card compared to the X 8G. I guess the X is for Xtra mhz.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
I keep debating on whether I should spring for a FTW or Strix OC because that's what I had my heart set on but keep going back on the fact that this Gigabyte 1080 G1 should be just fine. But, I mean, maaaybee.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Stanley Pain posted:

This is kind of what I'm aiming for. I just don't know if the $880CDN price tag is worth that trade off for now.

I did exactly this. It was nice getting rid of SLI.

I got lucky with rebates and reselling the bundled games though and essentially paid $150~ to "rent" both 970s for a year. Could have been even less but I wanted a copy of Rise of the Tomb Raider for myself.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
I dunno I don't really notice it. My case isn't right next to my head.

Then again central air is blasting and I couldn't give too much poo poo about a little extra air noise.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

I've kept trying it a bunch of times and it always feels like pro gaming with an asterisk.

Yeah it's very much exactly what you feel it is. My long a lovely journey of doing dual GPUs started with 7900GT SLI -> 4870X2 (yes, that huge honking card) -> a single 8800GTS 512 -> 470 SLI -> 670 SLI -> 970 SLI -> finally stopped loving around and got a single 1080.

Running high resolutions has made running stuff with all them settings up a real task. If you ask me now if it was worth it I'd have to say no. All the additional hassle and considerations of doing SLI and even then it may work well in a decent amount of games. The budget angle always took me first because "I can get better than the top of the line card performance for slightly more money!" when I was really shortchanging myself. SLI made improvements over the years from where you might get +40%~ extra with a second card to maybe like +80%~ in mostly scenarios that didn't matter anymore. I'm thinking back of how much bullshit I could have saved myself by not being a GPU poor, like most of you in this thread, and shelling out the big bucks for the big card.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Welcome to Rent-a-Center

In case someone isn't from the US and isn't familiar with Rent-A-Center, and I'm not sure if other countries have predatory businesses like this, they're stores that allow you to rent-to-own furniture, appliances, or electronics. A $400 Playstation 4 is only 52 payments of $29.99 a week for a grand total of $1559.48 in my area. A $700 (at bestbuy and amazom) LG 4K TV is only 104 payments of $29.99 a week for a total of $3118.96.

It's legal because it's all in writing and it's your fault if you didn't read the terms. Because, sir/ma'am, it's only $30 a week. $30 a week so you can have this new TV in your house.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Its not a place for people who make sound financial decisions. Although you can return things (I'm sure there is more cost involved ) and truly rent items, but the core business is to essentially scam people.

They tell you though, it's not an actual scam, its just ... A psychological scam.

Having never used them myself I do believe you can actually return things as mentioned here. I would assume there are additional fees involved as well. As far as rent-to-own you can stop payments at any time if you're strapped. They come and take their poo poo back until you can pay up again. I would bet that the pick-up and delivery aren't free in that situation.

Lungboy posted:

We have the same setup in the UK, with stores like Brighthouse. They basically prey on poor people who can't afford £1500 for a tv in one go, but can just about scrape together the £30 a week or whatever. For example, a £1.5k 55" LG tv (a touch overpriced but not crazy) with delivery, installation and service plan (total ~£2k) is just 156 payments of £26. £4k!

I thought you guys were supposed to product your consumers :smith:

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's a normal fan with a shround on top. The shroud helps keep the air moving and properly cooling the entire heatsink and you can see the vents where the air can exit.

http://i.imgur.com/eO6RE82.jpg
This here is a cross blower fan. Does the fan look like this? It's a cross blower.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

His response was to say that he likes Intel graphics cards? :???:

translation: I don't care about your bitcoin mining card so leave me alone you GPU poor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
Been stated time and time again that the 4GB RX480 was likely just so they could say that the product starts at $200. Yes there were some available but it seems to gone the way of the dodo.