Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Assuming the character models and voice acting don't make you want to sic an old priest and a young priest on your DS, that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cityinthesea posted:

It's your loss because XIII-2 is twice the game XIII is.

Twice zero is still zero.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

They accomplished what they set out to do, though. All Etro did was thaw out Lightning and the others because she's soft-hearted and dumb. Ragnarok and the crystal tower, defeating Barthandelus, that was all the party. Etro just threw them a bone and a happier ending at the very end.

Contrived? Sure. Less poignant than the party sacrificing themselves to save the people on Cocoon? I think so. Poorly written and explained? You bet.

But it's not the steaming pile of rear end it's fashionable to claim it is these days.

You just listed three different synonyms for "bad" and then said, "But that doesn't make the ending bad!"

Even if there was a way to argue that FFXIII's plot isn't a complete embarrassment even by JRPG standards (there's not), you don't seem like the best proponent for it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Except that rather than resolving naturally, all the character arcs in FF13 sputter out and die when everyone makes a big monologue and gets over their issues near-simultaneously in Chapter 9, reducing them all to multicolored exposition dispensers for the rest of the game. That, plus the introduction of Barthandalus, pretty much kills the story dead.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 22, 2012

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Himuro posted:

Speaking of towns, the towns were small one screen fare.

The rest of your post was merely inaccurate and I suspect tailored specifically to piss off Azure Horizon, since he has the kind of obsession with that series that normally ends with people going to jail, but this one is just a flat-out lie. Even the smallest towns are three screens, minimum, and large screens at that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Himuro posted:

I don't think it's a lie at all. Then again, I stopped playing half way.

And none of what I said was inacurate.

You're an evil man and I totally approve of what you're doing here

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

gigglefeimer posted:

So can anyone explain to me what's so bad about X-2 reusing art assets from X?

They could, but probably not in any way your cracked little mind would ever accept.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pasteurized Milk posted:

So hey, stupid question time. What am I missing out on by not doing blitzball?

The full power of Wakka's ultimate weapon and hours of wasted time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Leovinus posted:

Just did - kicked my new-PC-version save out to a converter and played the original on an emulator after getting annoyed with the poor port. way better experience, and a speedup button.

It also gave me a laugh to see exactly how unreasonable that 99,999,999 gil achievement is - I took a team up to Level 99 (grinding Magic Pots over the course of two TV episodes), beat Emerald and Ruby Weapon, did every sidequest and mastered near-enough every Materia, and at the end of all that I had maybe 10,000,000gil. A little more if I sold off some Mastered stuff.

Master All Materia en masse, sell that poo poo off, watch the money roll in.

It was pretty much the only way to make Gold Chocobo breeding semi-tolerable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Then you have charming stuff like characters randomly coming back from the dead or flickering in and out of existence because the pre-rendered cutscenes no longer meshed with the rest of the game. That alone renders FFXIII's story inexcusable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I put 130 hours into SO3.

I have no idea why. To this date I don't think there's a JRPG I hated more in retrospect.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Boat scene? What sort of terrible are we talking about here?

Haha! What the gently caress? The bit at 1:54 sells it for me, where she speaks in harmony with her singing. Haha!

Best part is Alex's blank face at the end.

"Well, that sure is a thing that just happened."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wendell posted:

I've never seen anyone diss the boat scene before, what's wrong with you lot?? It's a cute upbeat moment in a cute upbeat game, and at the time it was a big loving deal. An animated song, with lyrics, in a JRPG? Whoa!

I was never exposed to the boat scene before today and it was one of the corniest things I've ever seen and I kind of want to marry it

The Lunar games weren't anything remarkable but they had a lot of heart.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arrrthritis posted:

FF VII on the other hand feels very... schizophrenic.

Funny you should say that, because so's Cloud.

I'll let myself out.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

You should never play 3rd Birthday anywhere ever.

I dunno, it's played more or less constantly in Hell.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

I used to think that too. And then I watched Asura's Wrath, and realised that XIII at least had you playing a game, not watching DBZ the un-cut super anime, that puts XIII and even the MGS games to shame in the cutscene to gameplay ratio. :psyduck:

Asura's Wrath might have been a single glorified QTE, but at least it had a clear design path. Cyberconnect wanted to re-enact What Is Most Kawaii In Life with a multi-million budget and they were gonna do it as hard as they could. The Adventures Of Punchy McScreamerson still have the player way more invested than the half-assed, disconnected navel-gazing in FFXIII or Xenosaga.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Here's a nice, simple base rule for whether or not an outfit is unfathomably stupid: does it look like it is even possible to put on, let alone move around in? If not, go back the loving drawing board!

That might be the worst ensemble since Dirge of Cerberus.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Renoistic posted:

Someone showed off Lightning's design from FFXIII before, so I figured I'd show her other designs as well so you guys have something to compare this monstrosity to.

Totally hearing the "one of these things is not like the other" song right now.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

For what little it's worth: Lightning gets different costumes and apparently you can change the colors too? She also has different weapons and shields (but these are apparently linked to her paradigms or whatever they call them here). The Famitsu article says that you can customize her appearance significantly, so it's theoretically possible that you can make her not look loving stupid as hell if you try hard enough.

I tried that game with Sharla from Xenoblade. The only way to win is not to play.

(Seriously, finding Sharla some pants was a game-spanning quest that never quite reached a conclusion)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Aureon posted:

It's like hating 13 is a new religion or something, i swear.

I was hating 13 with the intensity of an acetylene torch within a month of its release. Talk about a title that has literally no business existing as a finished product.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The last time I said 2 was objectively the worst Final Fantasy game like half a dozen people piped in to argue that it really wasn't that bad or they enjoy it more than the other two NES games or something like that, which is totally absurd and insane, but at the same time I'm not sure what people complaining about "best/worst game" arguments expect a Final Fantasy thread to talk about in 2013. There hasn't been a new mainseries game or interesting spinoff released in the US in like two and a half years.

It's depressing to realize we've been trapped in the FFXIII continuity for that long, and with no end in sight.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

If only we had a pair of time traveling idiots to set us free.

You're absolutely right.

It's time to call Bill and Ted.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Overbite posted:

That could explain any RPG. Also I thought I was fighting God?

It's literally the case in FFXIII. The ending is the result of the Maker, which has never established any concrete presence in the game up to this point, waving its hand and fixing all the bad problems. It's probably the clearest example of a deus ex machina in the last decade. That is classical deus ex machina right there.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Krad posted:

Too bad there was no way of figuring this out yourself until the sequel came out.

Seriously, I just thought they all went back to normal thanks to the power of friendship or something.

You can figure it out yourself if you check up on the datalogs for Fang's first Ragnarok transformation and notice that everyone's brands are scorched in the ending. But understanding the ending adds nothing of note. Either power-of-friendship or hand of God, they're both terrible resolutions.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Yeah, given his negativity about it I don't think Oxxidation disagrees with you. And it's a totally valid point. The game is dozens of hours long and half of that time is spent watching cutscenes and absorbing dialogue. That you're expected to delve into ancillary materials to even really understand what's happening is a failure on the writers' part even if you enjoy the game they made and the story they're telling.

There is a cutscene where Fang brings up her scorched mark, but I'm pretty sure it's around chapter 9-10, where the story falls apart even more completely than before and robs anyone with sense of their ability to give a poo poo about what's happening anymore.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Krad posted:

Wait. Is this real? When did that happen? I can't tell if this is a joke or not. I guess this proves that Toriyama really is the worst writer in the history of videogames. :eng99:

I haven't played Dissidia but I'm almost certain it's real. Toriyama has a great big crush on time travel but not the least idea of how to make it work, which is a match made in hell.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Eggie posted:

This character design doesn't bug me too much and I'm guessing that's because it's simple compared to other Square-Enix designs (like Lightning's latest costume). It's just an snazzy shirt, a sash belt, some pants, and some awesome boots. Plus, Bartz is the kind of guy that can pull the look off.

Look at that face. He's fabulous as hell and he does not give a poo poo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

Oh boy an unnecessary limit always spices up the gameplay. That's why everyone fondly remembers Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, a world renowned title that definitely didn't kill the franchise.

Dragon Quarter was clever and innovative and it only failed because people who like Breath of Fire are stupid

No but seriously, with the possible exception of the fourth game I've never seen a series so devoted to trivial, tedious bullshit. There is nowhere to go but up from a tradition like that.

quote:

-As previously stated, each of the game's four continents has its own concept associated with it. Luxerion's is "murder", because they wanted it to have a mystery component aimed at slightly more mature audiences.

I laugh because it keeps the tears away.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The GIG posted:

Okay if this isn't the greatest argument for buying 14 then I don't know what to say to you:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/01/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-has-baby-behemoths/

Someone at SE must've been playing a lot of .hack recently.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Okay, I'll give anyone the jump rope poo poo, I haven't even done it. But that's one oddity (I guess you can count Hippaul, but at least that's 100% on you and not random) in a sea of other, much more relevant quests. In a game packed so full of stuff to do--I mean, jump rope is your first impression--I think one fart can be pardoned.

Jump rope, jogging, the Mognet repair quest, mother loving Tetra Master, the list goes on.

FF9 was released at the zenith of JRPG bloat, and it shows.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

That's really weird. I think you may be misremembering because I don't recall the boss working that way at all. Maybe I'm the one misremembering but that sounds like some bullshit I'd remember.

No, TWD has shown over and over again that the FFXII that exists in his head and the actual game are two completely different properties.

The game's boss/unique monsters' Palings, berserk modes, and the unavoidable party-wide super-attacks did get pretty tedious, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I will fight to the death anyone who says FF9 doesn't have the overall best music in the series.

Then select your weapon and meet me at dawn.

FF9's music is nice, but it has this bizarre quality that makes me forget every single track on it within a week. Except the bloopy-bleepy overworld theme, which always made me slightly nauseous for some reason. Sounds are weird.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cityinthesea posted:

My favorite is 13-2's just because most of it is trying to be Nier's soundtrack and not quite reaching it, but even a not as great Nier knockoff song is better than what most FF's are.

Alternatively, a not-as-great Nier knockoff song is obnoxious, wailing nonsense, as FFXIII-2 handily demonstrates.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Artix74 posted:

I was under the impression that Crisis Core was permitted, but nothing else.

Crisis Core wasn't instantly vaporized by hate, unlike the rest of the EU material, but over time it sank in just how godawful Genesis was and now it's pretty much in the heap with the others.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Krad posted:

So what you're saying is that everyone did die in the end thanks to the Lifestream. I'm okay with that.

The actual ending's ambiguous, obviously, but that last-second cut of Aerith's face makes it lean more heavily towards "humanity survived, Midgar was abandoned." Which makes sense, since Midgar was used throughout the game as a symbol of mankind's corruption and overreach of power.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, as far as FF villains go, Genesis isn't good, but aside from the Gackt factor he doesn't strike me as hugely egregious either. He's just sort of there and generic aside from his play spouting. I'd rather put up with him than some of the other series villains. He's also largely secondary and mostly provides a guy to punch who isn't Sephiroth.

He devours the entire plot of the game. He's present in every major scene, including ones which were pivotal to the plot of FF7, exploring his backstory takes up a huge chunk of the original plot, he's the main antagonist, primary rival, and over half of the loving base enemy roster because of all his cloning. And he's so uninteresting and prissy that he refuses to engage your attention for a moment of it.

Even if you count Dirge of Cereberus, Genesis might be the worst character and the worst idea Square's ever created.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Not even in the top 10. Again, he's not good, but I fail to see what is so exceptionally bad about him aside from the fact that he's boring and pretty stupid. Compared to poo poo like The Third Birthday or Star Ocean 4, I barely blink at that.

I forgot 3rd Birthday. I'm not sure why you remember 3rd Birthday. There's probably some medication for that.

SO4 isn't in Square's wheelhouse, though.

Also, you call Genesis "largely secondary," I rattle off a number of ways in which he's the most prominent character in CC, and you just kind of skate over it, so maybe your memories of the game are a little warped!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Because he is largely secondary. He is around, but his primarily purpose is to highlight other characters. He exists to give Sephiroth and Angeal something to angst over and someone for Zack to bounce off of that isn't either of those characters.

Literally being written in as the driving force for one of the base material's most prominent scenes isn't a "highlight." Genesis is a fanfiction insert who was shoehorned into pre-existing material because Gackt won a game of wits with a genie or something. S-E's made bad decisions, but they rarely stoop that low.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Edit:
Also, christ, The entire Kingdom Hearts plot. Give me loving Gackt any day of the week over Ansemxahnorth or whatever the hell they're up to now.

The Kingdom Hearts plot is loving art and don't you dare suggest otherwise.

Pollock was renowned for bold, seemingly random splashes of paint across the canvas. KH is the same way, only the paint is time travel and strongly implied homosexuality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Look, it's really difficult to remove a five-foot long katana from a human torso while standing on a narrow catwalk.

I learned this personally, but you must never ask me how.